Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
rename thread to "The world could always use less heroes"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

grieving for Gandalf posted:

literally all of you are going to play OW2 if you still have this thread bookmarked

good thing i dont have this thread bookmarked

lih posted:

i thought people generally hated 3-2-1 when they tried it in experimental so at least this is better than that but lol

this will probably be a pretty negative change at first but will eventually become an improvement only after years of balance changes because blizzard really sucks at that

they cant even balance overwatch 1 you think theyre going to balance this!?

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

lih posted:

i thought people generally hated 3-2-1 when they tried it in experimental so at least this is better than that but lol

I liked it. It was much more brawly. Not sure if it would've worked on a competitive level, but it was fun. Was also nice to not have to worry about queue times as DPS (tank was the longest queue IIRC, though part of that was probably people eager to try the new tank abilities / buffs). My guess is with 3-2-1 they had to buff the tanks too much to be able to handle 3 DPS, and that combined with only 1 tank put even more importance/pressure on the tank than there will be in 2-2-1.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Improbable Lobster posted:

I clicked on this thread because ow2 looks bad

I'm just in it for whenever someone complains about getting banned again

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
it only took 5 years but ow1 balance is finally in a reasonably healthy state right now.

i feel like they probably need to make far more significant balance changes to the tanks than what they've shown off so far for this to really work, i'd imagine playing support would just be super miserable

but idk, overwatch is a game i'd really like to enjoy more but it's sort of miserable to actually play with how dependent on team coordination etc. it is and how difficult any sort of coordination at all is to achieve on ladder

lih fucked around with this message at 01:31 on May 21, 2021

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
The art, characters and VA carry the poo poo out of overwatch. To me the game is almost secondary.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Paint Crop Pro posted:

Give me 4 DPS 1 tank 1 healer.

Also its TF2 6s.

Screw 6s, as long as we're following the example of TF2 it's time for a Highlander mode.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Pope Guilty posted:

Screw 6s, as long as we're following the example of TF2 it's time for a Highlander mode.

Highlander, but no Engy/Pyro/Heavy who were boring to play and to deal with

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Honestly I'd be really interested to see Overwatch but at 12v12 match sizes* like casual TF2

*let's say 6 Damage, and 3 each of Tank and Support per team

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

At least 5v5, somewhat like 3-2-1, will have an actually somewhat balanced ratio of "characters whose job is to kill" vs "characters whose job is to not die", vs. the current balance which is 2 "not dying" to 1 "killing" which just makes games miserable as the two teams rub onto each other endlessly.

lih
May 15, 2013

i think it was certainly a mistake to announce a big controversial change like this without really showing much in the way of new content for people to be excited about as well. like the only other thing they really showed that was New was one new map & a little more of some new maps they'd previously shown. & unlike other controversial changes it's still like a year or more before people get to actually see how it works in practice too

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly I'd be really interested to see Overwatch but at 12v12 match sizes* like casual TF2

*let's say 6 Damage, and 3 each of Tank and Support per team

id like it if they had a mode like that for anyone who doesnt care about playing comp and just wants to shoot dudes. it would be pure chaos but that can sometimes be alot of fun.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Honestly the best part about TF2 was the complete chaos.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I'm looking forward to OW2! I like that they're taking the opportunity to overhaul everything (especially CC), 5v5 looks incredibly stressful from a tank POV but I mostly play healer so it gives me one less idiot to worry about.

What I'm not looking forward to is whatever bullshit battlepass system they implement that turns the game into essentially a subscription service. I know lootboxes are bad but OW's system was pretty forgiving, given how easy it was to earn in-game credits and how eventually old skins dropped in price.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I'm still not understanding how the second one will work with the first and I don't care just yet, it's mostly my spouse that plays, but is the NYC map only for OW2?

lih
May 15, 2013

OW1 pvp is going to be replaced by OW2 pvp, so yes

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Oh, so all this 5v5 and no more tanks and everything is going to happen regardless of whether or not we'd rather just continue playing OW1 as is?

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I'm still not understanding how the second one will work with the first and I don't care just yet, it's mostly my spouse that plays, but is the NYC map only for OW2?

All pvp contents like maps/characters should work for both OW1 and 2.

PVE stuff is OW2 exclusive.
New Skins might be OW2 exclusive. At least some of them.

lih
May 15, 2013

it's unclear whether the graphical updates & new skins etc. will come to people who just have ow1 but not 2, they haven't clarified that yet

also i expect there's a decent chance that at least the pvp side just goes free-to-play or something too, we don't know what the business model's going to be yet at all

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
What I mean is, we prefer 6v6 and tanks, so can we just continue playing OW1 or are these changes going to happen to that as well?

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Pope Corky the IX posted:

What I mean is, we prefer 6v6 and tanks, so can we just continue playing OW1 or are these changes going to happen to that as well?

It's going to change. There will be only Overwatch servers for pvp, not separate servers for OW1 and 2.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Okay, so once OW2 comes out, OW1 as we know it will basically cease to exist.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I'm kind of surprised how grim you all are about a five year old game that needs change badly

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I was just clarifying. I'm mainly asking because my spouse still plays at least every other day and continues to really enjoy it. And maybe it's just me, but I've found the explanations as to how this is all going to work really confusing.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

I'm kind of surprised how grim you all are about a five year old game that needs change badly

I mean, I'm looking forward to it.

I'm bit sceptical about 1-2-2, but we'll see how it feels, when we get there.
I hope they move and rebalance the Fat dps off-tank characters to dps slots.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

adhuin posted:

All pvp contents like maps/characters should work for both OW1 and 2.

PVE stuff is OW2 exclusive.
New Skins might be OW2 exclusive. At least some of them.

The question is can you start any type of OW2 match with 12 players in it. OW1 has a max of 12 players for any mode, it makes sense that OW2 would bring that down to 10 to match everything else which would mean that an OW1 mode cannot be played even with a workshop mod. With how badly reforged went this should all be concerning.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

It needs good changes. The pvp is surprisingly well balanced right now (I'm sure everyone has some complaints about some heroes but there's not really one key meta or anything) and moving to 5v5 completely disrupts the balance and basically sets the game back to zero. And since Blizzard has absolutely no idea how to balance a competitive shooter and stumbled into the current acceptable status seemingly by accident, there's some cause for concern.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

It's like how Blizzard used to do expansion packs. The expansion pack comes alongside a sizable patch that also updates the base game, but you need to buy the expansion pack if you want to access the actual expansion content.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

With how badly reforged went this should all be concerning.

lol what? This is really reaching here.

lih
May 15, 2013

moving to 5v5 does address one of the big existing problems with the game (queue times for dps players) but there's much bigger reasons that they've been bleeding players for ages including like, the total drought of new content for the last two years due to ow2 development while every other popular multiplayer game updates and iterates on things far more rapidly than ow1 ever did even at its peak

they had all this vision of telling a story with overwatch and stuff but then never really did anything at all with that. i guess the idea is the pve campaign in ow2 will change that but i don't think anyone expects it will do anything compelling story-wise at this point

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

they'll slap in a 'Classic' 6v6 arcade mode to OW2 for sure

lih
May 15, 2013

they may be optimising performance around 5v5 which would prevent them from doing that though, in the same way that 7v7 isn't something the game can handle in ow

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I don't want to be mean but I'm constantly baffled that there's confusion about how the PVP side is gonna work when OW2 comes out. I feel like their messaging has been pretty clear outside of I think how the pricing is gonna change, if at all

megane
Jun 20, 2008

It’s because they named it Overwatch 2 instead of Overwatch: Burning Crusade

v: That's... not a good sign.

megane fucked around with this message at 18:14 on May 21, 2021

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Renaud Galand is leaving Blizzard. He's a 3D artist who helped make... most of the characters: https://www.artstation.com/renaudgaland

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Because people live 6v6 and their attempt at solotanks was a disaster?

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
People have zero faith in blizzard right now and that’s a pretty fair stance considering how it’s gone for them the last couple of years. Activision bolted vicarious visions onto blizzard to handle the Diablo 2 remake instead of blizzard internally and think about how ridiculous that is.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
I'm good as long as they include Roadhog's fart cloud

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
Like I don’t understand the tank change, if the game was too passive cause tanks rub shields with each other, why not just nerf shields into the ground and buff tank health or have some damage go through shields?

Cutting a player really changes the feel of an MP shooter, I want to hope OW2 is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Lord Packinham posted:

Like I don’t understand the tank change, if the game was too passive cause tanks rub shields with each other, why not just nerf shields into the ground and buff tank health or have some damage go through shields?

Cutting a player really changes the feel of an MP shooter, I want to hope OW2 is good.
Because health fishtails into the overabundance of healing available. I can understand how you would make NuRein or Hog Classic a brawler-type, but kits like Orisa will probably experience some growing pains as they try to work out how to make her gat 'brawlier.'

That said, the Overwatch League pros are telling us not to worry:
https://twitter.com/FRANA_OW/status/1395460238711484417?s=19