Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
I finally bought the Zojirushi water boiler I wanted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Anyone have recommendations for donburi that would freeze well (other than gyuudon)? Trying to meal prep my lunches and defrosting/finishing a donburi topping on the stove and serving over rice would be a lot easier than some other lunches I've been eating.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

captkirk posted:

Anyone have recommendations for donburi that would freeze well (other than gyuudon)? Trying to meal prep my lunches and defrosting/finishing a donburi topping on the stove and serving over rice would be a lot easier than some other lunches I've been eating.

Maybe sauce katsudon since you're pretty much just reheating the katsu by whatever method you prefer and chopping up some cabbage. I don't know how well the ones including egg freeze/reheat since I haven't tried it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The egg is a wild card but something like saborodon, you could freeze the chicken and just keep some scrambled eggs in the fridge, it wouldn't take long to make the egg component and they're separate.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

The egg is a wild card but something like saborodon, you could freeze the chicken and just keep some scrambled eggs in the fridge, it wouldn't take long to make the egg component and they're separate.

Saborodon and butadon were the two non-gyuudon options I was thinking. I think the the scrambled egg should freeze and thaw fine.

kirtar posted:

Maybe sauce katsudon since you're pretty much just reheating the katsu by whatever method you prefer and chopping up some cabbage. I don't know how well the ones including egg freeze/reheat since I haven't tried it.

I hadn't heard of sauce katsudon before, but it's one way to deal with loss of crispiness with the freeze/thaw, just cede the fight ahead of time and douse in sauce before freeze!

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
What's everyone's favorite wafu pasta? I made umeshisho pasta tonight (the umeboshi- and shiso-hater in my household is away and I have a quarter kilo of fresh shiso because I went MAD WITH POWER) but I would like to hear other variations.

I once had a beautiful garlicky, buttery, nori-y spaghetti dish at a random mall in Mushashi-Koganei and it was so simple and delicious (and had no fish!) that I have never forgotten it.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i haven't really had any besides one flavored with metaiko, but that was great and i still think about it

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Umeshiso can be so good, I am also partial to tarako or uni.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

This may be off base for this thread but can anyone recommend a rice cooker that prepares small-ish quantities of rice? The measuring thing on my Cusinart only starts at 3 cups of rice and that’s way too much for what I normally use. I don’t know if there’s something out there that handles down to one cup or less for an individual portion. I’m in Canada but I’m fine if it’s off a .jp that I can order.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Martytoof posted:

This may be off base for this thread but can anyone recommend a rice cooker that prepares small-ish quantities of rice? The measuring thing on my Cusinart only starts at 3 cups of rice and that’s way too much for what I normally use. I don’t know if there’s something out there that handles down to one cup or less for an individual portion. I’m in Canada but I’m fine if it’s off a .jp that I can order.

I use a Tiger brand one similar to this.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Martytoof posted:

ZoJiRuShi

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have the baby zojirushi and it maxes out at 3 cups and I adore it. I got the induction one but I have no idea if it helps or how.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I have the baby zojirushi and it maxes out at 3 cups and I adore it. I got the induction one but I have no idea if it helps or how.

yeah i seldom ever cook more than a cup and a half at a time in my ZOJIRUSH and its always absolutely perfect flawless rice

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

What's everyone's favorite wafu pasta? I made umeshisho pasta tonight (the umeboshi- and shiso-hater in my household is away and I have a quarter kilo of fresh shiso because I went MAD WITH POWER) but I would like to hear other variations.

I once had a beautiful garlicky, buttery, nori-y spaghetti dish at a random mall in Mushashi-Koganei and it was so simple and delicious (and had no fish!) that I have never forgotten it.

Here's a nori pasta, looks pretty different from what you described though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vi67lGq1KNY
That channel has a lot of wafu pasta as well as regular italian pasta, but the guy talks way too much.

Kurashiru has a lot of stuff too, here's a tarako cream recipe:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4tQapDcRN8

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Do the Zojirushis have actual markings for smaller portions? I’m certain I can cook like one cup of rice in my lovely Cusinart too but the markings start at 3 cups and I’ll be damned if I memorize instructions or maths for smaller portions. I’m at the stage of life where I feel entitled to my appliances humoring my stupidity by just outright having “insert water to here” printed somewhere on the unit.

I am incapable of memorizing water ratios for rice even if it is incredibly simple. If you look at my google history you can 1:1 map when I made rice on the stovetop by seeing when I googled “cook rice how much water”

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Martytoof posted:

Do the Zojirushis have actual markings for smaller portions? I’m certain I can cook like one cup of rice in my lovely Cusinart too but the markings start at 3 cups and I’ll be damned if I memorize instructions or maths for smaller portions. I’m at the stage of life where I feel entitled to my appliances humoring my stupidity by just outright having “insert water to here” printed somewhere on the unit.

I am incapable of memorizing water ratios for rice even if it is incredibly simple. If you look at my google history you can 1:1 map when I made rice on the stovetop by seeing when I googled “cook rice how much water”

Mine has markings every 1/2 cup up to 3 or 4 cups.

E:

I think the pot in mine has sushi and porridge instead of steel cut oats, but its the same scheme, half-cup markings on the scales.

I think the one I got is more or less the same as this one, I got mine in 2015.

https://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-NS-LHC05XT-Cooker-Warmer-Stainless/dp/B01EVHWNQQ/

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 04:23 on May 15, 2021

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m sold, thanks gang.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

hakimashou posted:

Mine has markings every 1/2 cup up to 3 or 4 cups.

Same. I think mine does up to 6? cups, but I routinely make a single cup if it’s just me and it turns out fine.

e: as far as the operation of it, it can still be as simple as 1 scoop rice, fill to line, press button

Hauki fucked around with this message at 04:21 on May 15, 2021

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

My method for measuring is pretty darn easy. For the rice, fill a cup (measuring cup, glass, coffee mug, whatever) almost to the top with rice and, for the water, fill the same cup (minus the rice) all the way to the top.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
My Zojirushi is larger but still has measurements down to 1 cup. And it can keep it warm for the next day if you only eat half a cup like me.

captkirk fucked around with this message at 23:41 on May 15, 2021

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Martytoof posted:

If you get the small ones that cap at 3 cups they should have markings down to a half cup.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

OK awesome thanks everyone, I pulled the trigger on an NL-BAC05. I was kind of agonizing over some of the options on others but then I realized I literally only make plain white rice so no sense in going crazy over features I don’t use.

I don’t know how substantially different long grain rice is from jasmine rice but I bet I could make jasmine work if I really tried, so who cares. I actually wanted the LGC05 for the retractable cord but it wasn’t in stock so no big deal, I’ll deal with a dangly cord.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Martytoof posted:

OK awesome thanks everyone, I pulled the trigger on an NL-BAC05. I was kind of agonizing over some of the options on others but then I realized I literally only make plain white rice so no sense in going crazy over features I don’t use.

I don’t know how substantially different long grain rice is from jasmine rice but I bet I could make jasmine work if I really tried, so who cares. I actually wanted the LGC05 for the retractable cord but it wasn’t in stock so no big deal, I’ll deal with a dangly cord.

I've always just used the 'white rice' setting for jasmine rice and it comes out great

I think you'll be pleased, they are the best rice cookers.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
I got my Zojirushi 3-Cup like ten to fifteen years ago and the worst ways in which it has aged is that the musical chime no longer plays and the very bottom of the rice gets veeeeerry slightly overcooked these days. It's easily the best kitchen purchase I ever made.

I've really been wanting to try to throw together some hayashi rice because I've never had it, but it seems like something that would be right up the lady's alley; for the first time attempt should I just go with a brick roux and then adjust from there going forward or is it not worth it compared to going from scratch? For the record we're completely cool with curry brick roux with a few adjustments for our personal tastes and if the hayashi roux brick removes hours of reducing a demi-glace sauce for something that's 80% of the way there then that's perfectly fine by us. But if it's a hugely stark difference I'm fine with rolling up my sleeves early on a weekend and putting in the work.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
I think hayashi rice roux, particularly Golden Hayashi, to be very good and need only a couple adjustments.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What do you guys do to adjust your curry brick roux? I’ve been making it as is for the past two years, just wondering what flourishes could be possible? I have a very limited imagination when it comes to winging food.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

My standard curry is a mix of Java and Kokumaro roux added to dashi that's seasoned with sake, mirin, soy sauce, MSG, miso, and yuzu kosho, and finished with vinegar or citrus juice. Sometimes I do more but that's the basic.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Martytoof posted:

What do you guys do to adjust your curry brick roux? I’ve been making it as is for the past two years, just wondering what flourishes could be possible? I have a very limited imagination when it comes to winging food.

Make your own roux.

Also, dark chocolate.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Martytoof posted:

Usually a little extra curry powder depending on the brand, katsu sauce or Worcestershire depending on what I have on hand, and a bit of whatever cocoa powder I might have on hand (usually ends up being dutch process)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh hell I’m going to use dark chocolate next time :aaaaa:

The one time I tried to make my own roux it came out.. not great. The effort just left me disappointed and I ran to the asian grocery the next day to remedy my mistake :haw:

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Martytoof posted:

Oh hell I’m going to use dark chocolate next time :aaaaa:

The one time I tried to make my own roux it came out.. not great. The effort just left me disappointed and I ran to the asian grocery the next day to remedy my mistake :haw:

It definitely takes a few tries to figure out the correct ratio of roux and liquid but I like it because it's cheaper and I can play with different types of curries or garam masala mixes (or mix my own but I'm not there yet).

The chocolate I use is actually uhh.. I think unsweetened? baking? chocolate. I got it as a gift from a friend from Guatemala and this was the only use I have for it :D

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Hi friends!

First post here. I was looking for critique and any suggestions on my tuna prep. I normally can't get such a large block of tuna from my local grocery store, but out of luck I was able to get this chunk fresh from Hawaii (coworker's dad is a Hawaiian fisherman). This was the first time I was able to cut saku blocks however I wanted to, so that was fun.

here's the said tuna, shortly after it was caught:

A huge chunk, skin on.

Separated (I mainly used the deba and wished I had a longer one). I realize I could have taken more off the top section for the lower block, but I was pretty nervous about it.

after I separated the pieces, I salted them generously and wrapped them with extra-absorbent reed paper towels and put them in the fridge for a little bit.

Texture check.

Nigiri prep, on a geta.

I didn't put the 'grain' all the same way, which was quickly fixed after this photo by my spergy partner. I wasn't going for consistency as much as just "omg I'm starving let's speed this up".

Action shot.

I would love any suggestions about handling tuna (cutting, prep, storage) that the gune collective has!

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Handle tuna with hands, store in my belly, easy.

So jealous

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Looks well handled to me. I probably would've just ended up sitting on the floor of the kitchen eating the entire thing like an apple.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Some nice lookin tuna, for sure

Development
Jun 2, 2016

thanks everyone :shittydog: I really wish I had better access to getting skin on thick chunks like this so I could practice more.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Yeah that's incredibly tasty looking and I'm super jealous right now.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Goddamn that's some thicc tuna

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
I would suggest handling that tuna in a different location, like my house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Everyone who recommended the zojirushi rice-a-majig, thank you. I made half a cup of rice and it was everything I imagined it could be.