Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

lilljonas posted:

Israel. Israel never changes.

A nuclear winter sounds pretty good right about now:smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Stay the gently caress out of their mosques Israel this isn’t difficult.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

95% of water in gaza is unfit for human consumption. So by bombing the water supplies the Palestinians must buy the water from Israel.

Now the thing is, when you have the hyperpower on your side. You don't need to justify your crimes with anything other than media funding to loyal talking heads.

Just water? Also electricity. If they could bomb Gaza's oxygen they would do it too. In West Bank they already collect the taxes as well and withhold them at will.

MiLiTAry OcCuPation

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

95% of water in gaza is unfit for human consumption. So by bombing the water supplies the Palestinians must buy the water from Israel.

As a reminder Ramallah gets more rain than London. But most of their water is taken by Israel.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Orange Devil posted:

Hmm yes violence in the service of enacting apartheid, settler colonialism and genocide is the same as violence in the service of defending yourself from those things.

Unlike your aimlessly firing missiles at civilian populations my aimlessly firing missiles at civilian populations if fully justified.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Madkal posted:

Unlike your aimlessly firing missiles at civilian populations my aimlessly firing missiles at civilian populations if fully justified.

i'm pretty sure israel is aiming at hospitals, residential areas, and water treatment with precision bombs.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Madkal posted:

why can't the palestianians just shut up and die like civilized people?!?! it's so hosed up that they are responding by resorting to terrorism. the same way every single culture has responded to a powerful country occupying them.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.

Madkal posted:

One country has been military occupying and blockading the other for decades, and using civilians to actively destroy the other's contiguity and existence for decades. What would you consider acceptable action on the part of Hamas?

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
If you think about it, every slave rebellion was actually bad. Taking people's property outside the legal system? I think you'll find there were bad people on both sides.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Jaxyon posted:

As a reminder Ramallah gets more rain than London. But most of their water is taken by Israel.

I had to look this up to believe it, and yeah this seems accurate. Definitely wouldn't have guessed that.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Madkal posted:

Agreed, the Irgun should of been arrested and put in Jail by the British in Mandatory Palestine. Frankly the fact they were allowed to get away with close to 500 terrorist murders, many of whom were civilians, is astonishing. What's even worse is the plaques put up to commemorate their atrocities.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Drone_Fragger posted:

Agreed, the Irgun should of been arrested and put in Jail by the British in Mandatory Palestine. Frankly the fact they were allowed to get away with close to 500 terrorist murders, many of whom were civilians, is astonishing. What's even worse is the plaques put up to commemorate their atrocities.

Agreed that the Irgun were terrorists. I'm kind of surprised though at the defense and justification for Hamas here though. Are goons longing for the days of bus bombings too?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Madkal posted:

Agreed that the Irgun were terrorists. I'm kind of surprised though at the defense and justification for Hamas here though. Are goons longing for the days of bus bombings too?

Hamas is what happens when you occupy a country and ethnic cleanse them. They're not good, theyre a consequence of colonialism.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

If there was no militant action by Hamas in the last two weeks, there would have been exactly no meaningful (to the powers that be) defense of the Palestinians of East Jerusalem being evicted from their neighborhood by a society opposed to their continued existence there or anywhere, by anyone, period. Or any meaningful consequences for the encroachment on al-Aqsa. If Fatah had teeth, I would prefer them (as an outsider with no skin in the game) over Hamas, but Fatah hasn't any teeth, sorry.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Madkal posted:

Hamas doesn't exist in a vacuum. It's good that leftist circles of discussion are embracing and selling the holistic view of the oppression and apartheid of the Israeli state, and not getting bogged down by "But do you condemn Hamas??"

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Ham posted:

Hamas doesn't exist in a vacuum. It's good that leftist circles of discussion are embracing and selling the holistic view of the oppression and apartheid of the Israeli state, and not getting bogged down by "But do you condemn Hamas??"

By all means but then you have to admit that all actions are justified, and because Hamas is targeting civilians every civilian death will be justified too

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Madkal posted:

It is though. Hamas is shooting rockets randomly at cities, like shooting into a crowd with a shotgun, how can you justify that?

Meanwhile the IDF is conducting war as mercifully as possible using precision weapons, more akin to headshotting individual children using a sniper rifle.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Madkal posted:

By all means but then you have to admit that all actions are justified

Um, what? That's a pretty insane leap of logic from what Ham said. "Doesn't exist in a vacuum" is not the same as "anything goes, nothing matters"

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Madkal posted:

It actually is justified when one side is trying to genocide the other.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Madkal posted:

By all means but then you have to admit that all actions are justified, and because Hamas is targeting civilians every civilian death will be justified too

Israeli society in the aggregate has no problem justifying the continued oppression, apartheid and ethnic cleansing of the native population - it's much more worthy of your indignation than Hamas firing rockets with minimal effect to human lives as compared to Israeli "surgical" bombing and sniping.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Madkal posted:

Please outline, specifically, the path of action Hamas should take to end the occupation and other assorted crimes against humanity perpetrated against their people. Keep in mind that "lie down and die without inconveniencing anyone" is not an acceptable answer.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I'll try think of what Hamas should do besides killing civilians when I get home but can I ask if people really think Hamas best option is to kill civilians.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Madkal posted:

I'll try think of what Hamas should do besides killing civilians when I get home but can I ask if people really think Hamas best option is to kill civilians.

Probably the best option available to them, but I'm sure they'll appreciate your input

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

Using the only military force they've managed to accrue in the only way possible to use it. when all other avenues have been shut off from them is better than not doing anything at all, yes.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Madkal posted:

This is a neat rhetorical trick to deflect from the fact that out of two groups doing harm, one of them is slowly succeeding in wiping the other off the map while pretending it has no other option to resolve conflict.

Madkal posted:

Likewise, let us consider whether or not apartheid and genocide is the best option available to Israel.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Madkal posted:

People aren't trying to justify or moralize the killing of Israeli civilians - what they're doing is apportioning blame for all the deaths and suffering in this 73 year period, leading up to the present condition, to the correct party - the same party that perpetuates the occupation and apartheid and massacres hundreds of civilians every few years for daring to exist.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

Madkal posted:

How much is the IDF paying nowadays out of curiosity?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Nobody here wants civilians to die, but they are interested in seeing blame correctly apportioned.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Madkal posted:

If someone fires a gun at you, you're not just allowed to blow up a crowded neighborhood in response.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
progressive zionists, no longer able to reconcile the increasingly obvious incompatibility between the two ideologies, are now advocating openly for Cowardice

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Also, isn't this kind of an arugment for Hamas having the same kind of JDAMS and other hitech weaponry Israel does? So their attacks can be more tightly targeted and directed away from civilian populations?

Nucleic Acids fucked around with this message at 22:00 on May 21, 2021

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Herstory Begins Now posted:

If someone fires a gun at you, you're not just allowed to blow up a crowded neighborhood in response.

This works both ways. Israel is absolutely not in the right and neither are Hamas. At least that's the way I see it but apparently that makes me a paid IDF person or something.
As for what Hamas can do, they can always take a play from MK, the military arm of the ANC who preferred sabotage and such to murder. Or promote civil disobedience, general strikes etc. Or just try kill a whole bunch of Israelis I guess.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

one side uses white phosphorous in areas where children play

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Madkal posted:

This works both ways. Israel is absolutely not in the right and neither are Hamas. At least that's the way I see it but apparently that makes me a paid IDF person or something.
As for what Hamas can do, they can always take a play from MK, the military arm of the ANC who preferred sabotage and such to murder. Or promote civil disobedience, general strikes etc. Or just try kill a whole bunch of Israelis I guess.

Interesting example because Mandela specifically did not denounce violence and had to do like an extra decade on Robben Island because of that refusal

E: ok I checked and it was like 5 years extra and he had been moved from Robben Island to another prison by then, but nevertheless

E2:

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

"Best" is a relative term; it doesn't mean "good" or even "not terrible," it just means "preferable to any alternative."

Yeah, in negotiationspeak this would be the BATNA - best alternative to a negotiated agreement

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 22:10 on May 21, 2021

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Madkal posted:

It's pretty pointless to argue if something is "the best option" when there have been no other options presented. They can't make their case at the ballot box because a) Fatah cancelled elections in the Palestinian Authority again & b) it doesn't have any say in the government of the country that is blockading Gaza. They can & do appeal to the international community but that makes no difference. If they were to reclaim arable land confiscated by Israel to create a buffer around the border there'd be bloodshed. They can't enact a massive public works programme to ameliorate the massive unemployment levels because the blockade means they simply do not have the resources available to build power stations, water treatment facilities, hospitals, schools, not to mention rebuilding the airport or constructing the seaport they were supposed to be allowed to build under the Oslo Accords. How are they to build homes for the 1.3m living in Gazan refugee camps?

It's lashing out in desperation. Whether it is right or moral is so far beyond the point as to be irrelevant. It's whatabouttery, obfuscation. Desperate people turn to desperate measures because at they end of the day they are fighting for their lives. Ultimately the onus to end oppression is, oddly enough, always on the oppressor.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Madkal posted:

"Best" is a relative term; it doesn't mean "good" or even "not terrible," it just means "preferable to any alternative."

I do understand where your objection is coming from; I had the same thought until I started actually looking into the situation myself and had to agree that they have literally no other options besides making less or no effort to fight the occupation, which is ultimately choosing more civilian killings.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Madkal posted:

The IDF HQ is in Tel Aviv. Thusly, by the logic Israel uses for its own targeting, Hamas is firing at a military target.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Madkal posted:

Interesting you bring up uMkhonoto we Sizwe. According to South African police, between 1976 & 1986 MK were responsible for 100 civilian deaths, plus 30 more from various South African security agencies. Wikipedia keeps an updated list of the fatalities from Gazan rocket attacks. So, 2021, 10. 2020, 0. 2019, 3. 2018, 0. 2017, 0. 2016, 0. 2015, 0. 2014, 8. 2013, 0. 2012, 6. 2011, 3. Which is to say that MK killed more people than were killed by rocket attacks from Gaza by Hamas, Islamic Jihad & anyone else in a similar period of time.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

forkboy84 posted:

Interesting you bring up uMkhonoto we Sizwe. According to South African police, between 1976 & 1986 MK were responsible for 100 civilian deaths, plus 30 more from various South African security agencies. Wikipedia keeps an updated list of the fatalities from Gazan rocket attacks. So, 2021, 10. 2020, 0. 2019, 3. 2018, 0. 2017, 0. 2016, 0. 2015, 0. 2014, 8. 2013, 0. 2012, 6. 2011, 3. Which is to say that MK killed more people than were killed by rocket attacks from Gaza by Hamas, Islamic Jihad & anyone else in a similar period of time.

Yea going through wiki now and seeing a whole bunch of bombings and such. I just remember reading the start of MK about how they went the more civil disobedience route and the 80s when there was a lot of internal fighting and violence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Madkal posted:

Yea going through wiki now and seeing a whole bunch of bombings and such. I just remember reading the start of MK about how they went the more civil disobedience route and the 80s when there was a lot of internal fighting and violence.

So it's fair to say we should ignore you when you make these kind of posts, then