Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
2-3 nights a week here yep. Phoenix is dynamic and busy. Live is....sleepy and you'll hate trying to start from scratch.

If you roll alb on phoenix I can help out with gear, powerlevel, whatever. i'm in federation of albion which is enormous and open, you're welcome to join.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sintor
Jul 23, 2007
I wouldn't mind rolling up again, did they finally decide how to handle the newbie event WRT extensions and the like?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i think its always just 6 days now with more time between events but am not sure

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

I知 in FoA as well as Duvall a scout. I知 going to grind plat for a template so if anyone wants to park and soak up some free xp let me know. I知 on the Phoenix discord hit me up.

Once you get around 40 there are lots of DF groups.

Super easy to get into PVP or PVM.

Keep Battles are fun as hell.

bomb fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Apr 24, 2021

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006
Are there any albion classes that I should stay away from? I have no idea what the current state of classes are.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Bahanahab posted:

Are there any albion classes that I should stay away from? I have no idea what the current state of classes are.

I would say all classes are worth playing. Don't go scout/inf if you cant afford arrows/poison.

This game is a lot more group oriented than a WoW. You may be grinding a bit up until 20ish when you can hop into an xp group. It's pretty easy to get to 20 with every class.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

In it, voted 5

Dunkin is my minny :)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

bomb posted:

I知 in FoA as well as Duvall a scout. I知 going to grind plat for a template so if anyone wants to park and soak up some free xp let me know. I知 on the Phoenix discord hit me up.

Once you get around 40 there are lots of DF groups.

Super easy to get into PVP or PVM.

Keep Battles are fun as hell.

This is the kinda DAoC content I like seeing. It's great to see so many people are still playing this.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Oh you want people?

Check out the EU prime time zerg (so about 2-3 pm Mountain) yesterday. This was a ton of fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yA77-auCH_Q

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

When I was messing around with the game last year or two years ago or whenever it was chat channels were pretty active and there seemed to be a decent number of people in the RvR battlegrounds. Not sure about the world RvR stuff since I didn't do a lot of it. Still tempted to play again some time but I just don't have the time for it right now

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Wus suhh dood. I'm going to try and get back into playing regularly again, I have all my money and gear on Mid as 50 Healer/Spiritmaster, also 45 Shaman I need to level. Also got 41 Cleric if anybody wants to group on there.

I said come in! posted:

This is the kinda DAoC content I like seeing. It's great to see so many people are still playing this.

When I started playing however many months ago when I posted in this thread, the population had just gotten larger than the RoR Warhammer private server so I decided to finally play it again. Never had any issues with the population, Mid was easiest to find a group and the 8man community was pretty active on certain days, I've seen like 10+ groups on 8man list regularly.

Definitely would like to get into 8man'ing regularly like I wanted to, but Healer is intimidating and even more so playing against people who've played the game forever. I've never truly ran 8man properly or played DAOC for more than few months total but when I played the events in some premades with those type dudes I held my own so that helped. The events are super helpful for positioning I've found, which seems to be hardest aspect people deal with from watching youtubes and twitch. Managing the camera and knowing when to move/finding the people to move with, all while watching for the poo poo you gotta cast/immunity timers/etc it can get hectic.]

I have fun in BGs at times too, when it's good fights going on & a decent BG leader.

knox fucked around with this message at 23:15 on May 4, 2021

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

knox posted:

Definitely would like to get into 8man'ing regularly like I wanted to, but Healer is intimidating and even more so playing against people who've played the game forever. I've never truly ran 8man properly or played DAOC for more than few months total

This is where i'm at with my fully templated, rr4 cleric. it's scary b/c nobody wants a lovely healer. it's such a high pressure spot. and i HAVE played for like five years at this point, here and there, and it doesn't change much. i'm still AHHHH AM I GONNA MISS THE INSTA or ARE MY BUFFS GOOD ENOUGH

that being said i'm stoked for the event, i'm gonna do a friar b/c alb needs more of them always and it's a fun floaty class to play. Snare that dude, heal this dude, rebuff and go.

anyways if you're scared of 'hard leveling' on phoenix, i started playing on super bowl sunday this year and this is what my select screen looks like. all the 50s are templated and ready to kill

cabby for the screenshot b/c i loving love the fez

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
btw i will never rvr with that god damned infiltrator even when its 50 because a template is like 100 plat and i dont like having to keep track of which one of 9 weapons i've currently switched to. it was a passing lark during an event and i kinda hated it

the minstrel on the other hand is my highest RR character and i love it to pieces. It is the best if you want to do some soloing, some grouping, a little bit of damage and a whole lot of harassment. nothing is better than running zone walls over in hib land till you find some stoned animist and completely wreck their poo poo right after they pull a dozen mobs, with the assistance of your level 54 charmed dual-wielding pet. probably the best class in the game holistically

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

btw i will never rvr with that god damned infiltrator even when its 50 because a template is like 100 plat and i dont like having to keep track of which one of 9 weapons i've currently switched to. it was a passing lark during an event and i kinda hated it

the minstrel on the other hand is my highest RR character and i love it to pieces. It is the best if you want to do some soloing, some grouping, a little bit of damage and a whole lot of harassment. nothing is better than running zone walls over in hib land till you find some stoned animist and completely wreck their poo poo right after they pull a dozen mobs, with the assistance of your level 54 charmed dual-wielding pet. probably the best class in the game holistically

Scout templates are super expensive too, I've been playing a smattering of other characters just to break the monotony of the plat grind.

One of my alts is a bone dancer and the changes they made to bone army are interesting. Instead of archer pets you now have caster pets. I wonder if they made this change to make farming easier? Seems like they hit pretty hard. I love my necro but BD so far has been a lot more pleasurable to play.

For the PVP event this weekend I think I'm going to make a Sorcerer, Cabby, Thane, or Runemaster.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

bomb posted:

One of my alts is a bone dancer and the changes they made to bone army are interesting. Instead of archer pets you now have caster pets. I wonder if they made this change to make farming easier?

Archer NPCs are bugged on Phoenix and were shooting people through keep walls. they changed BA pets to casters and removed all the charmable archer mobs from the frontier zone as it was easier than trying to fix the bugged behavior

quote:

For the PVP event this weekend I think I'm going to make a Sorcerer, Cabby, Thane, or Runemaster.

All good choices. Sorcs are in high demand always, cabs have great aoe event farming, as do thanes and runies. Sorc and RM has caster speed which will make a lot of groups happy; it sucks to have to lope around at regular speed especially since we don't have permasprint pots in the event.

Reckon it's friar time for me. :)

They announced the official window:

---
event start: may 6th, noon berlin time
event end: may 10th, noon berlin time
So get ready, you got bout 18 hours to figure out wtf you wanna play :D

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

I'm gonna make a Alb stealther this go-round with the event to be able to play with your Minstrel & Kazvall's chararcter(s). Down to play Sorc to mezz if your Friar, or a melee.

bomb posted:

Are you in the discord I've invited people to? Just something I made to organize with other peoples separate from the Return of Reckoning disc we made. I'm down to play Sorc / tank or melee anywhere if people want to make group for tomorrow and weekend. Can play any time after 5PM EST during weekday, and all weekend.

Invite for anybody who wants to group up this weekend on Phoenix: https://discord.gg/edBXzhuv

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I keep making a minst, getting to 40ish and deleting after the event. So, maybe this time I can get one to 50 and keep it, lol.

I could also make some sort of caster instead, because I hate expensive templates. Maybe earth wiz?

I do still need to level my paladin to 50. I spent a ton of plat and feathers on getting all his items so I am honor bound to finish him up.

Kazvall fucked around with this message at 03:33 on May 6, 2021

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Event is good times. Wish they hadn't changed the autogroup if you already have group members. I blame Dermit.

They should run event 1 week out of the month in my opinion.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

bomb posted:

Event is good times. Wish they hadn't changed the autogroup if you already have group members. I blame Dermit.

They should run event 1 week out of the month in my opinion.

That's what it was for about two months, every three weeks with hitting the requirements. But that was a little too short.
New autogroup change is dogshit.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Invader Vs Defender event starts in 12 hours!

* everybody starts at rr1 in the frontier
* your previous RP count is saved
* you earn RPs as the RR it shows (i.e. faster than if you were RR7 or whatever)
* RPs capped at rr2/rr3/rr4/etc until 100 players have capped, then it will be lifted
* At the end of the week, all the RPs you have earned will be added to your previous count

Get in quick and enjoy some glorious twf/nm/st free RVR for a day or two!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i vs d is a weird event but its perfect for getting some rps on your noobs. it's fun.

in other news. i now have a SECOND NECRO (first is painworking, this one is full deathsight) so i can farm in any situation i want. I built the suit for the first one to be universal so I can just move it back and forth in about two minutes. Feel like a nerd for redundant characters but respecs ain't cheap.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
jonny's personal daoc blog, entry 382:

arms is templated and hits like a truck. Lots of fun. more complex than i thought it would be!

reresearcher
Feb 24, 2004
While not an action mmo, DAoC has some of the best melee combat in the genre. Skill chains, positionals, and queuing attacks all make for engaging and rewarding melee combat.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
go watch free rps 2 or 3, then go watch a modern phoenix melee fight. lol. it's even so much more complex now.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

We are still playing this game (its good) come be an alb player and listen to the bant in the battlegroup

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yon level event is over once again.

didnt have much of a good time, lots of rage quitting on my part. i always start late so i get the worst straggler groups

anyways i did get a wizard to 46 and 3L4 so i'm finishing that up kitting him out for PB bombs this week

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
finished the wizard, did a couple nights of rvr, then realized i'm once again burnt out. temp retired. Count me in if we can get a full premade together for an event or something, but other than that i'm going to be nerding out on fitness and my motorcycles. Love yall, hope Phoenix stays around for a while more.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Phoenix is closing August 31st 😢

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

err posted:

Phoenix is closing August 31st 😢

What?

Closing because a new Daoc server is coming to town?

What server is that?

Sad to see Phoenix go.

https://www.atlasfreeshard.com/

Welp... :(

FreeWifi!! fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jul 24, 2021

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i may gently caress around on atlas but i just finished my tenth templated 50 on phoenix and i will be playing exactly one character (it will be a minstrel, unless we wanna play hib/mid) this time.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Not really surprised, I lost interest after they were forced to use new frontiers.

This new server seems more amendable to cross faction stuff, which is exactly what I need to get interested in playing mid or hib.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
See you all later on Atlas.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka
Wow DAoC... I played this for maybe a year while on break from Everquest. I played Albion and remember max leveling a Cabalist and a Theurgist, and then I started playing around with an Infiltrator. Looks like there are more classes and I'm sure things have changed... I hated the controls in this game. Have they been improved at all? I don't mind a little movement realism, but if I'm playing a game and I hit a button to go forward, drat it, I want to go forward! Not slowly pick up speed like an old man getting out of a chair... I do that in real life, I don't want to do it online also :)

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
The live game is pretty much dead. There's about 30 people that log on each night to trade RPs for an hour or so.

Private servers are the thing. Phoenix, the biggest and best of them, is shutting down at the end of August. The new replacement is supposed to be amazing.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

SERPUS posted:

The live game is pretty much dead. There's about 30 people that log on each night to trade RPs for an hour or so.

Private servers are the thing. Phoenix, the biggest and best of them, is shutting down at the end of August. The new replacement is supposed to be amazing.

By private you're talking emulated? Cool, I played on a couple of those a few years back. So where should I start? The initial post is out of date right?

Found it. Atlas it is! Downloading it now. Meanwhile I have Mythic or whoever owns DAoC now looking for my old account info :)

Floob fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jul 26, 2021

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP
atlas looks like phoenix minus all the custom pve content. Even the launcher is the phoenix launcher?

Don't get me wrong, I think daoc servers need to be wiped every 6 months, but what's different?

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

OF vs NF

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka
And Atlas is currently down, being spun up next month? I'm all ready for launch, it just won't connect yet.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
do not commit too hard to any of the A NEW CHALLENGER APPEARS servers yet. atlas is slow to launch and the other one ("era") did one press release with extreme "we're gonna have daoc, but classic, but also with blackjack and hookers" energy. it reads like homer simpson designing the homercar.

TBH if broadsword manages to pull their head out of their rear end and realize that they have a very short but very open window to relaunch a classic vibes server and yoink people back, i'll go back there. I'm not hosed up about paying a few bucks a month and even running two accounts (i like pet classes so having a buffbot means i'm double powered-up, i don't have any problem with buffbots if the alternative is 50 delve shitbuffs like Phoenix). we will see. i have no real hope but wouldn't mind being surprised by live

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Jonny 290 posted:

do not commit too hard to any of the A NEW CHALLENGER APPEARS servers yet. atlas is slow to launch and the other one ("era") did one press release with extreme "we're gonna have daoc, but classic, but also with blackjack and hookers" energy. it reads like homer simpson designing the homercar.

drat you aren't wrong about Era lmao