Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Republicans posted:

I wonder how much avatar proc weapons will go for on the new servers considering how braindead easy it is to farm them.

My old Aradune guild managed to do it with clr, shm, ranger, monk, monk, monk, warrior, warrior, bard, bard. We were raid geared, but no primal weapons. It was close every time, but doable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

has anyone looted a "Mischievous Wall Torch" from the halfling heritage crate?

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Republicans posted:

I wonder how much avatar proc weapons will go for on the new servers considering how braindead easy it is to farm them.

I believe they broke using the gnome to repeatedly spawn the boss for primals. I very vaguely remember hearing some guy on rizlona was warping and spawning dozens of them to make the zone unusable so that may be why.

e: looking at the patch notes they might just have fixed spawning more than one at a time.

Solarin fucked around with this message at 01:31 on May 20, 2021

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

BabelFish posted:

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I had considered it, but a friend I intend to play with regularly wants to play shaman, and boxing the class he's interested in seems like a bit of a dick move.

Having both clarity and bard mana song would be neat, but it's worth the DPS loss replacing a mage even if I don't intend to charm? I'll probably be regularly replacing one of the mages with the previously mentioned shaman friend, would he be replacing the ench then? SK/Bard/Cleric/Wizard/Shaman/Ench seems like it would kill very slowly (though to be granted the group would probably never die)

I'm not super wedded to the mages (or to the wizard past evac and ports, he might end up a druid at some point), I've just not 6-boxed before and it seemed like they (and the wizard) would be relatively easy to build a couple social macros for and then forget about them. I'm considering swapping in rangers for the mages once we get a couple expansions in and they can use their bows more, but I imagine positioning melee is a lot of work when you're moving 3-4 characters around every pull. Is there a trick to it?

The point is you have a shaman around for when he's not around and drop the shaman when he is. Bard slow just won't be the same.

The alternative comedy option is you end up keeping the 2nd mage and what you're left with is a really good pbaoe group (cleric/wiz/mag/mag) with the bard keeping aggro with Selo's Assonant Strane. It's possible this tactic is nerfed on TLP so buyer beware!

edit: I would stick with the shaman, personally. You want to keep SK in this config for hassle free snare, btw.

milkman dad fucked around with this message at 01:23 on May 20, 2021

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009

Republicans posted:

I believe the avatar proc from primals counts as worn attack so is currently subject to the 250 worn attack cap (at least in PoP).

Most meeles will get over 150 worn attack from items as they get elemental/time geared so the benefits of the primal will go down, and I think a lot of people can't be bothered already.

I'll probably dump the primal in GoD.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

If there's one fact I've learned from playing several TLPs it is this: people will pay truly stupid money for gear. I'd expect primal fistwraps and bows to be like 15+ krono for the first month of velious. The others will probably be around 5 krono. The amount of money to be made off whales on this server will be absurd, especially if you box huge numbers.

Solarin fucked around with this message at 03:20 on May 20, 2021

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Solarin posted:

I believe they broke using the gnome to repeatedly spawn the boss for primals. I very vaguely remember hearing some guy on rizlona was warping and spawning dozens of them to make the zone unusable so that may be why.

e: looking at the patch notes they might just have fixed spawning more than one at a time.

Gnome was fine up till day before Luclin launch on Aradune.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
Yeah they just made it so he can’t spawn multiple times at the same time I think.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
I've been getting my multi-box setup ready for next week and I discovered that the HotKeyNet domain/website appears to have expired and now redirects to an awesome self-actualization website. Unfortunately, I'm trying to find documentation on how to use the software since all of my old scripts were on a hard drive I wiped last year and I can't reference them any more. I was able to find a copy of the software on one of my boxes but no scripts to be found.

So far I've just found a few threads on dual-boxing.com with some example WoW scripts I can maybe piece things together with, if anyone has some sample HotKeyNet scripts for multiple PCs playing on a TLP would they mind PMing me? Thanks!

Also do the latest versions of Multiplicity suck or is it just me? I don't remember connection issues being so common ~2 years ago (version 3.4?) when I last used it. Still using the same PCs and switch and everything but I find my mouse/kb get stuck on other machines pretty frequently, requiring a logout of the main PC via ctrl-alt-del.

Edit: vv PM sent!

Shartweek fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 21, 2021

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
https://web.archive.org/web/20190102122250/http://www.hotkeynet.com/ref/functions.html

PM me here to remind me when I get home and I’ll help you out with scripts.
You can still PM me, but the link should be the page you’re looking for.

As for software kvm, I use InputDirector. It’s not without its own quirks, some of which are nonstarters for some folks, but I don’t have networking or reliability issues with ID like multiplicity seems to have.

koreban fucked around with this message at 21:40 on May 21, 2021

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

koreban posted:

https://web.archive.org/web/20190102122250/http://www.hotkeynet.com/ref/functions.html

PM me here to remind me when I get home and I’ll help you out with scripts.
You can still PM me, but the link should be the page you’re looking for.

As for software kvm, I use InputDirector. It’s not without its own quirks, some of which are nonstarters for some folks, but I don’t have networking or reliability issues with ID like multiplicity seems to have.

Nice. Thanks, Wayback Machine!

Edit: Input Director is waaaaay better than Multiplicity, thanks for the heads up!

Shartweek fucked around with this message at 23:24 on May 21, 2021

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

So I am going to run a 2nd box in laziest way possible. I have a tablet with a keyboard dock that can run EQ just fine. It's small enough I can put it right in front of my keyboard and hit a couple of buttons easily.

What's a good combo that doesn't take a ton of button presses?

I was thinking a Mage on the tablet and a druid on my main pc. Mage seems like you could get by with just a /pet attack macro or maybe one nuke and then /sit.

Any other easy combo out there?

Monk on the pc/druid on the tablet might not be bad either.

edit: Also they are launching two TLP's at once apparently? Mischief and Thornblade? Where are you all playing?

Malaria fucked around with this message at 22:17 on May 21, 2021

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Oh my god. I had the wrong account and I just discovered where my old main was hiding. I’m sure this is insanely bad now, but behold, Callwin the 65 Druid from yesteryear! :3:

Double PotCabbage earrings, my Epic is in one of the bags, the clicky is the Phylactery with the MP/HP regen clicky.

So many memories. OMG my Blessed Coldain Prayer Shawl!

Edit: Holy poo poo I had a redhead bard alt named after the first girl I ever really dated. :3: Having so much fun checking all my alts.

BGrifter fucked around with this message at 23:05 on May 21, 2021

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

oh poo poo my druid is still on magelo from when I lasted logged him on!

https://eq.magelo.com/profile/215262

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Malaria posted:

So I am going to run a 2nd box in laziest way possible. I have a tablet with a keyboard dock that can run EQ just fine. It's small enough I can put it right in front of my keyboard and hit a couple of buttons easily.

What's a good combo that doesn't take a ton of button presses?

I was thinking a Mage on the tablet and a druid on my main pc. Mage seems like you could get by with just a /pet attack macro or maybe one nuke and then /sit.

Any other easy combo out there?

Monk on the pc/druid on the tablet might not be bad either.

edit: Also they are launching two TLP's at once apparently? Mischief and Thornblade? Where are you all playing?

Bard, mage and wizard are all good low-effort boxes.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I haven’t* played a priest class in like 20 years but I can name almost every piece of gear in that picture haha

RCarr fucked around with this message at 03:57 on May 22, 2021

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

RCarr posted:

I have played a priest class in like 20 years but I can name almost every piece of gear in that picture haha

You’d probably be pretty close! I had some weird pieces equipped for the focuses while soloing that might throw you.

Bard alt had the Iksar and Erudite masks plus the Werewolf illusion lute. Druid had all the Grandmaster tradeskill tools in the bank from making it to the “1750 club”. 56 Froglok Shaman alt had all the toys like a Jaundiced Bone Bracer.

Nostalgia overload!

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Changed my mind - I'm going to have a go on the Mischief server.

I want a class where I can get a coffee without killing the group and that people would actually want in a group. So leaning towards either Bard, Magician or Ranger.

Downside of the Bard is they are crippled on mezzing half-way through Kunark until Luclin (unless you get the ancient mez in NToV).

Downside of the Mage is epic is mandatory and can be a swine. Then again, the cloak and phinny drop will be tradeable and may not even drop off those mobs any more...

Ranger has decent dps, easy epic, but doesn't bring anything unique.

Think I'm more leaning towards either the Bard or Mage...

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
Bard. No contest. Mezzing as a bard is not nearly as critical as it was once seen. You’re more often wanted for the ability to twist haste/overhaste, mana song, damage shields, ac song, and eventually proc songs to augment melee dps. In the mid expansions you get some caster specific buffs that make them real interesting for caster groups.

My guild on Mangler: 54 mains raiding current content, no splits. We’d take 2, maybe 3 of any int caster. 2-3 Rangers, probably not much more than that, and we’d field 8 bards without batting an eye.

They’re finicky, they can’t DoT kite or charm kite like they used to, there’s a billion clickers you’ll want to get, and the epic has some truly lovely bottlenecks, but they’re hands down the better choice if you want to be wanted.

If you want to be left alone and rack up cash, or have a good group to pal around with, Mages are fantastic; but they’re not bards.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Looking at the list of recruiting guilds on the official forums it's looking like I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and join some guild with no attendance requirement and resign to only raiding once a week. Lotta guilds raid on wednesday or thursday but not both and almost all raid on sunday which is the day I'm basically out of the house from 11:30am to 10:00pm PST. Not a single midnight raiding guild and all the mid-day/euro guilds start about an hour too late or raid on days I go in early.rr

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.

koreban posted:

Bard. No contest. Mezzing as a bard is not nearly as critical as it was once seen. You’re more often wanted for the ability to twist haste/overhaste, mana song, damage shields, ac song, and eventually proc songs to augment melee dps. In the mid expansions you get some caster specific buffs that make them real interesting for caster

Is twisting still required? I thought melody was active for TLP servers?

Doctor Party
Jan 3, 2004

Doctor Party Woohoo!

Xeras posted:

Is twisting still required? I thought melody was active for TLP servers?

Twisting not required. Melody is enabled. But either way i think he meant twist songs via melody.

dakuroot
Sep 22, 2003
^________^
I'm pretty excited for Mischief, I think the Random Loot will fix some of the dumb issues of camps always being taken and cause people to explore a bit more to find those out of the way rares.

That said I'm gonna be rollin a DE Enchanter and looking for some peeps to run with, gotta make the most out of my 2 days of PTO.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

dakuroot posted:

I'm pretty excited for Mischief, I think the Random Loot will fix some of the dumb issues of camps always being taken and cause people to explore a bit more to find those out of the way rares.

That said I'm gonna be rollin a DE Enchanter and looking for some peeps to run with, gotta make the most out of my 2 days of PTO.

I'm just playing for release until I run out of fun as a solo gnome necro, my brother is in a Faceless 5 man and I did that with him on Aradune launch but no thanks this time.

Boogs#6617 discord

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Doctor Party posted:

Twisting not required. Melody is enabled. But either way i think he meant twist songs via melody.

Correct. Twisting via melody, although keeping several different spell configurations that you can quickly swap between for different group types is like 300iq level barding and would set you apart from the plebs and box bards with one-size-fits-all song sets.

If you don’t know what I’m talking about : melody uses the spell gem number to designate your rotation. (I.e. */melody 1 2 3 4* would just twist the first 4 songs on your spell bar. If you were in a melee group you might want something like haste, overhaste, AC song, damage shield/resists. But if you’re in a caster group you might want spell focus, spell haste, mana song, resist song.

You can save two sets of songs, both of them with gems 1-4 using the two different configurations, and use the same hotkey to toggle them on. Furthermore you can make hotkeys that mem the new spell set in seconds, so for the price of 3 hotkeys on your bar, you can have quick swap spell sets and your melody button and quickly adapt to different grouping setups.

This also leaves songs 4-8 for Selos, occlusion, Mez, charms, etc.

The new “twisting” is more about having optimized song sets for situations and being able to swap easily to perform multiple roles as the raid comp, group makeup, or event mechanics require.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Gonna be rocking a full-set of banded by next week and maybe a mino-axe or 2 :)

I'm looking forward to seeing hugely encumbered high-elfs wearing all bronze armour - looks magnificent !

The hag being trained to the zone in Unrest should be leaving a trail of shiny corpses behind her.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

ist posted:

My 6box comp is somewhat similar.

Most likely starting off with SK + CLR + ENC + DRU + MAG + BRD

I've been playing around with it more and I think I'm also going to end up starting with SK + CLR + ENC + DRU + MAG + BRD. Likely replacing the DRU + MAG with some kind of physical DPS later on.

I managed to pack my 1x6 monitor layout into a 2x3 and it makes me way more comfortable with the idea of charm DPS, which lets me get away with way more utility, at least for the first few expansions.

koreban posted:

Does InputDirector allow me to define specific keys to never be shared? Multiplicity is doing everything I need of it so far (though the multi-monitor support in InputDirector would be very nice) but I'm using an array of numpads as quick hotkey banks for the individual clients, and I want the numpad hooked up to the driver PC to stick to that PC regardless of where the rest of the keyboard/mouse input is going.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

BabelFish posted:

Does InputDirector allow me to define specific keys to never be shared? Multiplicity is doing everything I need of it so far (though the multi-monitor support in InputDirector would be very nice) but I'm using an array of numpads as quick hotkey banks for the individual clients, and I want the numpad hooked up to the driver PC to stick to that PC regardless of where the rest of the keyboard/mouse input is going.

So, I do something similar but I approach it differently. I don’t use input director on my main driver pc. I use the next easiest box to reach as my input director master. It’s on a laptop, so keyboard is baked in, and I just have one extra mouse on my desk that I can drive to the other PCs. I have the same sort of 2x3 setup, and my main driver is bottom-center, the master is bottom left, and the movement mirrors the layout, so I go up to the next pc, then right across the array.

It takes a little getting used to, but it’s intuitive and I never have a problem with my boxes mucking up my SK.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

koreban posted:

So, I do something similar but I approach it differently. I don’t use input director on my main driver pc. I use the next easiest box to reach as my input director master. It’s on a laptop, so keyboard is baked in, and I just have one extra mouse on my desk that I can drive to the other PCs. I have the same sort of 2x3 setup, and my main driver is bottom-center, the master is bottom left, and the movement mirrors the layout, so I go up to the next pc, then right across the array.

It takes a little getting used to, but it’s intuitive and I never have a problem with my boxes mucking up my SK.

I tried doing what I was hoping by making a keybinding of all the number pad keys on the director to the number pad keys on the director, but that appears to just eat the keystrokes entirely, probably ends up in an infinite input loop before timing out. Looks like the solution is just going to be to insure that my 'driver' character (probably the SK most of the time) is on the driver PC. Input Director does the stuff I really wanted one of these KVMs to do, which is to support multiple monitors on a single PC intelligently, and handle mouse transitions between monitors of multiple resolutions by calculating mouse position as a percentage of the monitor's total size. But it's got some real quirks when it comes to mouse movement (the director gets mouse look input even when controlling the client PCs). I've still got my old Multiplicity setup, it's disabled for now, but I think I'll end up going back to it.

For reference, here's what my hardware setup ended up looking like (numpads in 3x2 grid, in the same layout as the monitors they control. Each is a different color, the camera didn't pick up the differences very well.):

Now I understand how people use follow to line up melee characters, works surprisingly well when I can just bang out a hotkey that auto-follows, assists, and starts auto-attacking.

BabelFish fucked around with this message at 11:57 on May 25, 2021

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007
I’ve been using Microsoft Garage Mouse. It works well and is free. The one thing I don’t think it does is have dedicated specific key to specific computer options, but the mouse/keyboard transitions to multiple screens very well. I’m just using a 2 box setup so I don’t need anything too fancy.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
So for those of us new to TLPs, when does Mischief launch? Is it one minute after midnight or a set time on the 26th?

After a week of playing around on the free servers I think the plan is to go Druid to start for a couple months. Then maybe I can add a box or two once I’m more comfortable. Kite a few mobs, charm a few aminals and smash em together, maybe make a little plat.

Is the overflow server worth considering at all? I’m guessing it’s population will drop like a rock once the initial rush on Mischief dies down.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

BGrifter posted:

So for those of us new to TLPs, when does Mischief launch? Is it one minute after midnight or a set time on the 26th?

After a week of playing around on the free servers I think the plan is to go Druid to start for a couple months. Then maybe I can add a box or two once I’m more comfortable. Kite a few mobs, charm a few aminals and smash em together, maybe make a little plat.

Is the overflow server worth considering at all? I’m guessing it’s population will drop like a rock once the initial rush on Mischief dies down.

I doubt Daybreak knows when the servers will be up.

Big guilds seem to be splitting between the two servers. I think it's going to be less of an overflow server and more of a 'option #2' server.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

BGrifter posted:

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/mischief-thornblade-full-guild-listing-updated-daily.274902/

That's the daily updated thread of guilds and where they're going. The usual gaggle of shitbirds are mostly going to mischief with the notable exception of mabbu going to thornblade.

ist
Mar 9, 2007
lurkin since '01

ist fucked around with this message at 01:37 on May 19, 2023

ist
Mar 9, 2007
lurkin since '01

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

ist posted:

I ended up swapping the DRU/BRD out to go SK + CLR + ENC + SHM + MAG + WIZ instead, with the plan to play SK + CLR + SHM + BRD + 2 RNG in Luclin-POP and swap the rangers out for zerkers if I make it past POP.

Also I still need to decide between 5 human + 1 barb starting in Qeynos or 4 DE + 2 troll starting in Nektulos...

Why the WIZ over the DRU? Just more damage since you have the SHM slow and SoW? BRD is kind of limiting my 5th-6th slot picks more than I'd like, but I want to play it as a main.

I'm still trying to work out races as well. Frontal stun immunity on the ogre seems really good, but god drat are they just SO fat, it makes moving around small spaces such a chore.

Edit: Trolls can start in Nek even in classic?

BabelFish fucked around with this message at 01:28 on May 26, 2021

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Ew.. I was hoping to avoid Mabbu's guild by going to Thornblade but no such luck it seems. I'll probably still do Thornblade tho I guess cuz there's a few even more annoying names I remember from Mangler that are going to Mischief. Don't really see any tempting guilds to join from the list so i dunno

ist
Mar 9, 2007
lurkin since '01

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
The interest in the new server is way higher than I've seen in any progression server for a long time - probably since Agnarr.

I'd recommend people don't claim their bags until the servers stabilise incase theres a rollback. You could get them again via a support ticket but that could take days...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

Baconroll posted:

The interest in the new server is way higher than I've seen in any progression server for a long time - probably since Agnarr.

I'd recommend people don't claim their bags until the servers stabilise incase theres a rollback. You could get them again via a support ticket but that could take days...

Yep and hopefully if you have already consumed your Krono for the accounts you want to use. That system was up and down for Aradune launch as well.