Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i read the TLDR and he's definitely wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Unpopular opinion apparently: the paradox model of game development is actually cool and good, I like being able to come back to a game after 2 years and see that there's not only new DLC but also a ton of free content and improvements to the core game engine, and if I really badly want to play the same version that I played 2 years ago then that's an option too. I've only played EU4 and Stellaris, I can't speak for their other games

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
matchmaking in online pvp games has made those a completely boring slog, and almost every modern online co-op game (especially mmos and left4dead style action games) feel like corporate teambuilding exercises

itry
Aug 23, 2019

QuarkJets posted:

Unpopular opinion apparently: the paradox model of game development is actually cool and good, I like being able to come back to a game after 2 years and see that there's not only new DLC but also a ton of free content and improvements to the core game engine, and if I really badly want to play the same version that I played 2 years ago then that's an option too. I've only played EU4 and Stellaris, I can't speak for their other games

Hm... Sounds a lot like the early access model.
I kid. They make good games.

Vic posted:

Talking about bad ideas; Star Citizen is an indie game.

Woah

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Twitch posted:

matchmaking in online pvp games has made those a completely boring slog, and almost every modern online co-op game (especially mmos and left4dead style action games) feel like corporate teambuilding exercises

I'm sure there are some good co-op games out there somewhere. Like... D:OS 1 and 2

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
These grand strategy games are the most inhumanly boring videogames I've ever encountered - its just a spreadsheet depicting your unique 1440s version of Europe but c'mon man, the real 1440's Europe is more interesting to read about because it actually happened and more flashier videogames with actual graphics are 1000 times more fun and engaging.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

JollyBoyJohn posted:

These grand strategy games are the most inhumanly boring videogames I've ever encountered - its just a spreadsheet depicting your unique 1440s version of Europe but c'mon man, the real 1440's Europe is more interesting to read about because it actually happened and more flashier videogames with actual graphics are 1000 times more fun and engaging.

I'm sorry but no, real history is not as cool as the holy roman empire being forcibly dissolved by marauding pueblo indians

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Vic posted:

:eyepop:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

they're right though

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

indies nuts

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

I think stellaris straight up removed or completely reworked a bunch of stuff (like different FTL methods than hyperlanes, i think planetary management as well) from the base game itself, to the point where presumably if you loaded up a game without DLCs now and from a patch from x years ago it would be two pretty different games

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Excelzior posted:

indies nuts

:elongate:

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
Here I am yet again to tell you all that if you liked Disco Elysium then you absolutely have got to play Pathologic 2.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
Doublepost: I was talking with someone today about how when we were kids, in the late 90s early 00s, the more gore a game had the better. Like the cerebral bore in Turok 2 and bodies just exploding in quake and unreal tournament. Now it seems that kids arent interested in that kind of thing and are more into cartoony looking stuff. Probably because graphics got to a point where having a homing missile suck out someones brain juice isnt really fun anymore? I dont know, its just something i noticesd.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I'm sure there are still rad kids out there who think that Doom has sick awesome gore and the huge fountains of blood in sekiro are awesome

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

I teach 4th graders and they dont care about that poo poo at all. A lot of them are really into Roblox and games that are made inside Roblox and I dont even know whats going on in them. Also Minecraft.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009
It is weird to think that there was a time when "OUR GAME IS IMMENSELY VIOLENT AND GORY" was all you needed to get at least decent sales of your game. I still cringe thinking about the Dead Space 2 marketing campaign being "Your MOM will HATE this!"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

Doublepost: I was talking with someone today about how when we were kids, in the late 90s early 00s, the more gore a game had the better. Like the cerebral bore in Turok 2 and bodies just exploding in quake and unreal tournament. Now it seems that kids arent interested in that kind of thing and are more into cartoony looking stuff. Probably because graphics got to a point where having a homing missile suck out someones brain juice isnt really fun anymore? I dont know, its just something i noticesd.

I mean when getting shot at at school is a pretty real possibility its nice for your games to be actual escapism

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Willatron posted:

It is weird to think that there was a time when "OUR GAME IS IMMENSELY VIOLENT AND GORY" was all you needed to get at least decent sales of your game. I still cringe thinking about the Dead Space 2 marketing campaign being "Your MOM will HATE this!"

I don't know this for sure but I kinda think the average age of people who play/buy video games has gone up. Back when Turok 64 was released, fur example, how large was the 30-60 year old gamer category? Not immense, I'd imagine, since the 'early' adopters of video games were usually young people. Now we're getting to the point where there are tons of 30-60 year olds who have been playing games almost their whole lives. So developers don't need to be so edgy to attract interest and sell copies.

Some games are legit aimed at children and young people and so don't want an age restriction, like fortnite, but I think as a whole the people buying games have gotten older and older and less interested in blood and gore for its own sake. There's still a place for that but it can't sell videogames singlehandedly like the bloody executions from mortal kombat or the over the top violence from gta were able to

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Caesar Saladin posted:

I'm sure there are still rad kids out there who think that Doom has sick awesome gore and the huge fountains of blood in sekiro are awesome

(This was quite a meandering thought, apologies)

I think that the reason Doom sort of gets a pass on this, or, isn't mocked? I dunno, the reason it 'works' I guess, and that I think the 'sick awesome gore' in it is actually p. cool, is that it's very much part of the whole aesthetic, of the 'power fantasy' (For want of a different term) that the game cultivates. Like, the game is basically a metal album cover.

Only the thing is, I look at metal album covers and roll my eyes and imagine the sweaty nerds who actually make up metal bands arguing over whether or not Gwar are false metal or some tired stupid poo poo.

But Doom manages (at least to some degree) to capture that magic of what the ... you know what, I'm just gonna switch over to saying Brom art because, nah, Metal Albums are so dumb. I mean, it has them in it, its very readily the source inspiration, but I just can't pretend like they're cool.

But you know, Brom art, something like:

or

Like there's violence in it, and that's a part of it, but it's an aesthetic that has a quality to it that the violence / gore is a part of. It sort of imagines a scenario where the gore is 'awesome' and runs with it as a theme.

I dunno. I like Doom and the gore in it, but I definitely don't think that gore normally makes a game better. Like Mortal Kombat, the gore is huge part of it's super weird 'Hyper Kitch played straight' vibe it's got going, where it's both the most serious po-faced thing you've ever seen and at the same time absolutely knows how goddamn dumb that is and revels in it? Sekiro I think is stupid as gently caress, but I suspect if I was more familiar with Chanbara I'd probably be more accepting of it.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Play posted:

I don't know this for sure but I kinda think the average age of people who play/buy video games has gone up. Back when Turok 64 was released, fur example, how large was the 30-60 year old gamer category? Not immense, I'd imagine, since the 'early' adopters of video games were usually young people. Now we're getting to the point where there are tons of 30-60 year olds who have been playing games almost their whole lives. So developers don't need to be so edgy to attract interest and sell copies.

Some games are legit aimed at children and young people and so don't want an age restriction, like fortnite, but I think as a whole the people buying games have gotten older and older and less interested in blood and gore for its own sake. There's still a place for that but it can't sell videogames singlehandedly like the bloody executions from mortal kombat or the over the top violence from gta were able to

Oh yeah, that era of "Maximum gore for maximum appeal" was definitely more of a thing because the market for video games was generally accepted as being strictly teenage boys at the time. Now they have games for pretty much all markets coming out, which is great and has led to advertising having to take a different approach than "Buy this, it will totally piss off the adults who just want to keep things lame and respectful!"

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Vic posted:

Don't you need a game to be an indie game?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

I teach 4th graders and they dont care about that poo poo at all. A lot of them are really into Roblox and games that are made inside Roblox and I dont even know whats going on in them. Also Minecraft.

yeah but that's fourth graders. I know the allure of gore didn't hit me until around 5th or 6th grade.

That said I just don't think gore has the novelty now that it used to and kids are going to gravitate towards whatever stuff is marketed at them. In the 90's it was stuff like Mortal Kombat now it's Roblox. If there is any reason kids don't care about stuff like Doom or Sekiro at all it's because all of the gory games are made by 40 years, for 40 year olds, and they are loving hard and kids have short attention spans.

Roblox games look so bad it's popularity still shocks me though. I feel like even as a fourth grader I would have recognized it as crap.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Willatron posted:

Oh yeah, that era of "Maximum gore for maximum appeal" was definitely more of a thing because the market for video games was generally accepted as being strictly teenage boys at the time. Now they have games for pretty much all markets coming out, which is great and has led to advertising having to take a different approach than "Buy this, it will totally piss off the adults who just want to keep things lame and respectful!"

Also a lot of the adults back then really did want to keep things very lame. Satanic panic and whatnot. Violent video games were the forbidden fruit back then. Now the parents don't give a poo poo so the kids in turn don't give a poo poo.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Phigs posted:

Also a lot of the adults back then really did want to keep things very lame. Satanic panic and whatnot. Violent video games were the forbidden fruit back then. Now the parents don't give a poo poo so the kids in turn don't give a poo poo.

This is probably part of it too. Content controls were generally much stricter back then and now only fundies really care.

I still like me a gory game, of course, but only if it really fits. For example I still like playing mortal kombat. But pretty much just for the fun and challenging gameplay, the blood and fatalities are sometimes funny but are nowhere near being the main attraction like they were for the first games.

I actually searched Google for violent games and the first results were lists, the most recent being from 2013 lol. No one cares anymore

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
in light of roblox and minecraft etc is there even a demand for sites like newgrounds or kongregate anymore? flash is dead obviously but i really liked that crappy ultraviolent microgame subculture

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I mean, parents do care in a sense they aren't going to buy Mortal Kombat 11 for a six year old but not in a screeching-write-to-your-Senator fashion anymore.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

GTA is really popular with kids, but I often wonder if that's because it's "dirty" or just because it's a big playground to do stuff in.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

GTA is really popular with kids, but I often wonder if that's because it's "dirty" or just because it's a big playground to do stuff in.

I think it's the sandbox elements. Kids these days are weird, it's like murdering hookers doesn't even excite them anymore

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

This is a really interesting topic actually.

Mortal Kombat 1 - 3 or Doom (old one) isnt really gory due to hw limitations and it's putty gore anyway. If anything games and movies got more gory and vile. Look at the Saw movies and how brutal and grody new Mortal Kombats are.

Off the top of my head you had Phantasmagoria, Harvester for the more hosed up games, but everything back then seems a little bit naive today. Like if you're an edgelord teen you can easily find real videos of people getting tortured and/or killed if you want to, and even if you're a little kid without parent supervision on accident.

I think the taboo was broken and everyone just moved on. I was 4 years old when the iron curtain fell in czechoslovakia and 5 when I saw predator 1 and 2 (older brother let me watch) and i got on the level real fast. Even the edgy stuff back then doesn't compare to poo poo you can watch today.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Also games are fun because of what you can do in them. Back when you could only do so much, it was all about being the most radical.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

One of the kids i teach just spent 25 dollars of his real allowance money on an in-game item for a JoJos Bizarre Adventure game made in Roblox.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

The whole point of allowance is to teach a kid about buyer's remorse.

EDIT: And sunk cost fallacy

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Imagine spending 25$ on a roblox in game item instead of 25$ on a COD skin pack :psyduck:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Remember when people were mad about $1.99 horse armor :lol:

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Imagine spending 25$ on a roblox in game item instead of 25$ on a COD skin pack :psyduck:

Or $250 on the latest star citizen ship, that's a smart purchase.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's still wild to me that for like 30 years cosmetic poo poo in a game was something people wouldn't dream of paying actual money for, then controversially for many more years, you had stuff like horse armor, hats, etc. where you'd pay a dollar for some cosmetic item and it perpetually pissed people off. Then the world's brain collectively broke seemingly overnight and games started charging $25 for loving cosmetic items and everyone was like "that's cool gotta grab that skin"

At the same time I kind of don't care because it's a better alternative than charging for map packs and dealing with the nightmare of figuring out who owns what so you can play with your group.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

99% of people don't buy cosmetics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

everyone made fun of horse armour but bethesda was truly ahead of its time.