Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

mrfreeze posted:

Decided to finally play Ciconia. I'm 5 min in with no advance knowledge and this is amazing.

I can never stop singing praises for Ciconia. It so confident and willing to jump into things much more quickly and just in those first few minutes you can feel it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
I bought Higurashi when it was on sale a while back and started playing through it. I just finished chapter 4 of the second game.

This seems pretty cute so far. poo poo's going to get bad yeah?

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Spiggy posted:

I bought Higurashi when it was on sale a while back and started playing through it. I just finished chapter 4 of the second game.

This seems pretty cute so far. poo poo's going to get bad yeah?

Wait, you have to play chronologically. To be clear, you have finished Chapter 1 Onikakushi, before you started Chapter 2 Watanagashi, right?

If you haven't, stop playing now, and go read chapter 1 first.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
Yeah, I played the first one and really enjoyed the second half despite not caring for the slice of life bits at the start. The tonal shift between the first and second games makes it feel like it's going to be a lot different when it hits the fan this time.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Spiggy posted:

Yeah, I played the first one and really enjoyed the second half despite not caring for the slice of life bits at the start. The tonal shift between the first and second games makes it feel like it's going to be a lot different when it hits the fan this time.

Oh sorry, I had just interpreted your statement as in "I just bought chapter 2, and is this VN just a slice of life?"

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Umineko 8
OHhhh I get what's happening. Feathering is gonna open the diary for the witch hunters/Goats

Itouikukuro that's the name no idea how I couldn't remeber that

She dodges the question of if she read Eva's diary. Of course she wouldn't need to

Oh poo poo Red Truth in the real world. Makes sense though She's managed to synthesize her witch and human selves, and being a participant knows exactly what happen

The goats tearing at Ange are her realizing her family killed the reast I guess

Oh Jesus Ange you mad lass you opened it. She's gonna do it though, she'll deny the red with the power of gold. Which seems to be the power of belif or some such. Then Tohya is gonna burn the loving diary infront of the crowd. That's why Ange had the key only for her. She was the only one who got the choice to read the truth, after Tohya burns the fucker the cat box will remain forever with all the pieces inside. Just like Evatrice and Eirika implied in a couple scenes previous

Masterful Ryukushi!

Do it ange Tear into them with the Golden Sword of belif. Riop and Tear until it's done

Or just kill yourself I guess

Unfortunate she inherited the same idiot gene BAttler got I guess

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 04:50 on May 21, 2021

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

So what are some good English VNs for the Vita? I have the Nonary series on my 3DS and the Danganronpa series on the Vita but what else is out there good? I've been burned by a few VNs lately because they just weren't good or had surprise adult content and I just want something fun. I seem to be drawn to the murder series so far, and Ace Attorney.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Walla posted:

So what are some good English VNs for the Vita? I have the Nonary series on my 3DS and the Danganronpa series on the Vita but what else is out there good? I've been burned by a few VNs lately because they just weren't good or had surprise adult content and I just want something fun. I seem to be drawn to the murder series so far, and Ace Attorney.

STeins gate and Steins Gate zero are both pretty lit

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Umineko 8

So I know that voice is HAchiko.
Ikuako? Memory loss? This cat is battleman. Ikuoso is Sayo. This is the story she told him. Why?
Oh wow she has a buncha money what a surprise

LOL she's not even trying to pretend she aint beato. Yeah I'm not sayo and I love mystery and think I'd love to get to know you person who isn't BAttler.

This does expalin the earlier scene where her servant calls out for Tohya when she's there. She must be known as Ikuko and He's gonna take the name Tohsya. and then they write multilevel level level mystery pseudonymn with her editing Tohya/Battlers work and pretendeing to be Tohya while publsihedn under the name Ikkusrosnrokyu or whatever the gently caress.

Oh that's like how the Witchs go multi deep on gameboard
Very nice

I guess I understand but It's sad that she couldn't be more open and honest with Battleman about what happened, trapping him in her own world is a bit cruel just to make him remember, although it ain't like she didn't get stuck in her own hell

Really Ryukushi, you're just gonna come and attack me like this\

Oh okay Battler is struggling with his identity, he thinks his old identity will sublimate his currant existence if he remembers. He's forcing himself from the truth like Ange did. Her gameboard is a representative of making battler remember, and of getting Tohya battler his memories back in a fashion that won't destory his own existence

Battler you goof, she showed the manuscripts to the only person she wanted to see them, you

Jesus I had to take a break at Ikuko and Tohya talkin' about novels. They're just way too cute together. a perfect representation of what it's like meeting someone you really jell with for the first time, just talking bullshit for hours lost in your own world, it's tragic all the poo poo that they had to go through but I'm glad they can be happy together

Oh jeez, she finally found the person to share her world with, poo poo man I think it's gonna start raining soon mustang style

God they're gonna give me another Beato death and it's gonna kill me even if her soul survives into Ikuoko

Why do this to my sould Ryukushi I shouldn't be allowed to feel feelings like this from a VN

Aww Ikuko can clean the gutters well unlike little Sayo

gently caress we are earning out happy ending for this one boys

gently caress this Ange poo poo, bring me back to Ikuko and Tohyas happy life

I wonder what she wrote in red, prolly like I will get to see my family again.

Oh and then she visits the Golden land, and real Ange gets to reunite with battleman after he goes through his memory trials and ange learns to accept the truth

Ange I sympathize with you, you had a rough life, but Imma need you to gently caress off so I can get back to Battler and my wife

Beato you did nothing wrong the fault is all with Ange being a weak willed coward. I can't believe she would attack beato this way

Oh gently caress ANGE Beatrice is gonna lead them to Geatrine in the Metaworld. very nice

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 06:44 on May 21, 2021

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Gaius Marius posted:

STeins gate and Steins Gate zero are both pretty lit

I think the muvluv trilogy is out on it now and while I haven't played the last one I found the 2nd one pretty good (you do have to play all 3 in order though they aren't independent, and the first game is entirely setup so just be aware of that)

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You should play Alternative it's really dope. Walla should be aware there is a small amount of Adult content however, not sure how they deal with it in the All Ages version

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Gaius Marius posted:

You should play Alternative it's really dope. Walla should be aware there is a small amount of Adult content however, not sure how they deal with it in the All Ages version

yeah I'm gonna at some point, I mean I more or less played through the first two just to get to it. what happened was my wife and I were reading it together and like right when we finished the unlimited fan translation, they announced the official translations so we were like "ok well we might as well wait for that" then when it came out we haven't gotten around to it

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

gegi posted:

There were absolutely men in Nurse Love Syndrome though, which is the same universe. One even has a sprite!

It's hard to tell (for me) whether Addiction intends to be 100% no-men or to be ambiguous so that you can believe it either way. The english translation did slip a 'he' in at one point that wasn't there in the original afaik.

I think the point in the game that settled it for me was when you go to Comiket and the entire crowd in the background CG is nothing but women

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Umineko 8

You both have bells cause you both are alive in the future morons

That Pirate hat tho

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 08:04 on May 21, 2021

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Failbetter posted about developing their new Visual Novel/"Dating Sim" set in the Fallen London universe and it feels like they might be over thinking it:
https://www.failbettergames.com/character-positioning-in-mask-of-the-rose/

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Umineko 1

Finished in 8 hours.

Alright, I'm going to get the bad out of the way first so I can then just talk theories. Ok, the slice of life stuff is still bad like it was in Higurashi and there's just too much nothing until the murders start. Like, I get it, Maria is overly performative with her "uu-uu" personality. Battler is horny for his cousins. The adults all snipe at each other over the inheritance. I get it, I get it, I get it. You could cut the opening half.. in half... is my feeling. What's important is establishing the basic character beats, the movements the characters make prior to the murders, the possible motives for the characters to kill, the portrait riddle, etc. Each scene could be heck of compressed (any time a character proposes a theory, I don't then need a "Think of it like four balls on a cliff" aside). I think I would feel different if I was more endeared to the characters but I'm not. This was a larger problem in Higurashi because it was intentionally going for tropey characters to then flip everything upside-down when the killings start, but here the characters are meant to be multi-dimensional and struggling with a lot.. they're just not written in a way that makes me like them or sympathize with them. Am I not supposed to? Maybe. I dunno. As Battler mentions early on, they're all rich fucks (he can miss me with the "being a rich failson is hard too" though). I guess I care about the servants the most because the new servant is a jackass. As I read more episodes I'll obviously care about the characters more, but I'm really distant from them currently.

This is a smaller issue but at least with the Steam version I am not a fan of the photograph backgrounds. I actually would prefer if they were not run through filters. As they are, they don't effectively convey the atmosphere of the story or just even the mansion itself. They put time into the portrait of Beatrice but that was it. Otherwise the BGs all blur together, and get really dull to look at. I know it's a sound novel and the visuals aren't the point, but the visuals can help me be pulled in further. I'm definitely going to have to look into the PS3 graphics patch.

So okay, with that out of the way, I get why the first episode is considered "standard" difficulty. It's not because you'll figure everything out the first time, but because you can come up with fairly reasonable theories for how the murders happened. At this point, I am on Battler's side, that much like Raging Loop, everything has a proper explanation (except for the idiotic light novel jinx poo poo, lol).

Since I am obviously going to need to read more episodes to get more info on the mansion grounds and possible routes, I will have to keep my theories more vague for now.

The first 6 killed: The two big things here are the smashed faces and the time of death, which the doctor can't definitively pin down. The smashed faces makes it seem pretty obvious that at least one of the bodies is dressed to look like one of the family members, while the actual family member runs around killing. Possibly more than one. Given that the family is all rich fucks, it would not actually be that difficult to hide a body in luggage and bring it with them to the island. It's not like there was an aggressive patdown. As for how they were killed, Shannon mentions that being killed didn't hurt in the epilogue, so my thought goes to induced sleep. This potentially implicates the doctor as a possible accomplice, being the one with the highest knowledge of medicine, although Kinzo could also have brewed some chemical concoction as well. As for who of the bodies is actually alive, that's a little more difficult to discern off the bat. Krauss, knowing of the gold being real, is my first thought. Him showing his wife the gold could make her a potential accomplice... but her internal monologuing would suggest she was pretty much in the dark about the killings. And I don't really have proof of this, more a gut feeling, but I feel like Kyrie knows about the gold too-- as for whether she would kill to get it, that feels a little more dubious currently, but her bio says she is not afraid to do shady poo poo to support Rudolf's business. I can't rule it out.

The next two: It seems really weird that despite all the talk about Kinzo hiding, no one even thought to bring up the possibility that someone hid in Eva's room and killed them after they had locked the door, then either hid under the bed (which no one checked, like c'mon guys!!!), or was able to manage to somehow get the chain back on the door from the outside when they locked it back up. Kanon mentions being surprised at how easy the chain broke, but I'm not sure if I should take that as suspicious of the chain. At any rate, a potential scenario is the two going to sleep, then Hideyoshi gets up to go to the bathroom.. the killer waits in the shower, kills him immediately when he enters so that Eva doesn't wake up, then kills Eva in her sleep.

Kinzo: As proposed by Battler, he hid and left. His study being a house in and of itself, there'd be plenty of places to hide. The killer put them in the incinerator not to destroy evidence but to deliberately reveal him at just the right moment. I'm not sure if the killer even expected to be able to get a kill from doing that, Kanon just made it easy for them. Time of death being impossible for a regular-rear end doctor to determine (or if he is an accomplice), he was likely killed early in the day.

Kanon: That's pretty easy. Tried to stab someone in the dark and got stabbed. Man he hosed up bad.

The next 3: I didn't mention it yet, but I assume one of the first 6 to be 'killed' dressed as Beatrice and had been communicating with Maria off and on. Even with her wacky laughing jackal heel turn, Maria still seems extremely easy to lead on. Just cosplay as her, throw on a wig, and command your new thrall. Or tell Maria that Beatrice inhabited your body. As for the letter "mysteriously appearing", just being realistic, it's not like anyone was looking at the table before Maria said "look a letter!" Even one of the kids could've sleight-of-handed it on there before looking at the painting, this is not really that big a deal. Or if Natsuhi was an accomplice, then it's easy for her to feign shock. At any rate, this one is a conventional slasher-ing, so there's no need to handwave supernatural elements on this one. Maria wasn't even looking. And the, of course, "No way"-ing the three were doing was because the killer was someone they had already thought dead.

Natsuhi: This one's not that weird either. It's a family of rich fucks. Natsuhi can't be the only one with a gun, and the killer just fired first, and was able to flee while the kids were stuck in the parlor. Natsuhi's rifle seemed like the kind that would completely obliterate her head if she fired at herself from point blank, so this is an easy one.

Maria: They found her jaw and she willingly ran to embrace the killer, so, not really a shocker on this one.

George, Jessica and Battler: The ending simultaneously implies that their bodies couldn't be found AND they were killed. The reality is that either the killer got them, or they ran off into the forest and then just simply got lost and never found their way back. Or they just decided to take a boat and tempt fate against the typhoon since it was getting to the point where it was about to let up.

This is not me saying "aha! I've solved it!", more just reacting kind of surprised to the epilogue and how Battler got so flustered about not being able to explain everything when there are reasonable explanations in the realm of conventional murder mystery storytelling. So far I haven't really seen an 'impossible' murder yet. I'll have to see how Chapter 2's timeline differs. BTW, I know there's probably a 50/50 chance that the supernatural poo poo is actually real, but if that does happen to be the case, I'm going to fancanon it away because Raging Loop made me realize that that kind of poo poo is tiring to me.

Incidentally, another thing, don't know whether I'd put it in the good/bad column, is that the writer has trouble switching from third to first person perspective a lot. The unreliable narrator may be a part of the mystery, but it's a bit annoying to see the text so casually slide in and out of first person monologuing. One thing that I wanted to really hone in on was what the characters are thinking at crucial times in the story (Natsuhi's inner monologue reacting as it did to the scratches on her door would make no sense if it turned out to be a lie, that would be some Heavy Rain poo poo), so a little more consistency would be nice.

I started Chapter 2 and I think that I might glaze over some of the more slice-of-life stuff this time around just to get to the real meat. It's not that I didn't read the opening scene at the aquarium, but that once I got the gist of it I didn't need to like, keep reading the exhaustive narrative and dialog about it. I could just skim and stop on interesting points. I'm not trying to speedrun the game, this is pretty much how I played Higurashi as well (sorry to those who love the card/board game parts of Higurashi but those were miserably unfunny to me so just whammed that read button the whole time).

e: I'm realizing now that Krauss's face wasn't smashed in in the storehouse, so he probably isn't the one running around. It's entirely possible that the two of them were eavesdropped on, of course, when he showed Natsuhi the gold bar. BUT LISTEN... sure these fucks may need an immediate cash injection, but that doesn't mean they aren't still rich enough to get a wax head of them made. That's right, I'm saying Madam Toussad is an accomplice in this poo poo

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:09 on May 21, 2021

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

The 7th Guest posted:

Umineko 1

Finished in 8 hours.

Alright, I'm going to get the bad out of the way first so I can then just talk theories. Ok, the slice of life stuff is still bad like it was in Higurashi and there's just too much nothing until the murders start. Like, I get it, Maria is overly performative with her "uu-uu" personality. Battler is horny for his cousins. The adults all snipe at each other over the inheritance. I get it, I get it, I get it. You could cut the opening half.. in half... is my feeling. What's important is establishing the basic character beats, the movements the characters make prior to the murders, the possible motives for the characters to kill, the portrait riddle, etc. Each scene could be heck of compressed (any time a character proposes a theory, I don't then need a "Think of it like four balls on a cliff" aside). I think I would feel different if I was more endeared to the characters but I'm not. This was a larger problem in Higurashi because it was intentionally going for tropey characters to then flip everything upside-down when the killings start, but here the characters are meant to be multi-dimensional and struggling with a lot.. they're just not written in a way that makes me like them or sympathize with them. Am I not supposed to? Maybe. I dunno. As Battler mentions early on, they're all rich fucks (he can miss me with the "being a rich failson is hard too" though). I guess I care about the servants the most because the new servant is a jackass. As I read more episodes I'll obviously care about the characters more, but I'm really distant from them currently.

I'd argue that the Higurashi slice of life stuff is actually good. Umineko's opening is bad as it somehow manages to make it feel more like info dumping rather than having the characters actually do anything.

And don't skip the stuff before the murders. Its all pretty important for the story. Even if the author feels like he has regressed in his writing ability for those in chapter 1.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Yeah the opening was really just.. really hard to get through. The whole "aha! you planned to make me sign a bad deal but I know YOU need the money NOW!" scene felt amateurish to me. like if you took an ace attorney "I thought I just turned this case around, yet the prosecutor is smiling" bit and made it take ten times as long. But also I just really can't stand Maria at all. Either side of her, honestly. The whole 'seems like she's this kind of person, but she's actually a laughing mocking troll' is just kind of a Higurashi re-hash. And it's also really obvious that it's going to happen because the cutesy act is so over-the-top performative that it feels almost like a hackneyed portrayal of someone who is neurodivergent, so you know that if anyone is going to heel turn, it'll be her. Maybe playing more recent WhenTheyCry-inspired games like DDLC has spoiled me.

But even stuff like "this boat is going too faaasst".. maybe comedy is just really hard to land when adapted like this but none of the lighthearted stuff even managed to make me smile. Do I have coal for a heart? I mean maybe, I've eaten a lot of unhealthy food. But part of me is just like... shut up, just shut up characters, please let's just move on.

Oh yeah I almost forgot about the missing rose in episode 1, obviously that plays a role in the story, I don't know in what way yet, maybe whoever took the rose knew that Maria would keep looking for it and that would create an opportunity to talk to her alone. It was a near-dead flower so unless it turns out it's a special magic bullshit flower, that's the theory I'll go with.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 21, 2021

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Nah you're right I don't think there's anything actually funny in the game that I can remember, imo

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The slice of life stuff is incredibly important

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Stefan Prodan posted:

Nah you're right I don't think there's anything actually funny in the game that I can remember, imo

i don't read

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

If you don’t like the photographic filter backgrounds I can’t recommend the PS3 patch highly enough, I played through 1-6 without it and I was dumb to do so.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Umineko 8

I mean if the goats right he's right

drat Featherine you gonna do my girl Lambda dirty like that.

drat Battler just socks her
Put your cape back on battler C'mon

Bern we're too deep in now to be tricked by that Red Text bullshit

Finally Ange figures out how to wield the gold, I'm guessing I'm finally at the end goal

I had expected from like the Second or Third EP of the game that the novel would end with me having to chose to believe in Magic or not. It happened in a totally diffrent way than I think it's gonna happen here, but I have a strong sense that's what the endgame is
And shy Ange has got the key and two choices

I assume Feathrines head piece is like a representation of the memories she's suppressed as her time as Sayo. She didn't forget but she keeps 'em on the DL cause she's a different person now

Oh you absolute mother fucker, Battlers gonna loving do it ain't he

He's gonna do the loving magic trick
Jesus this is how you do an ending

Absolute mad lad
I don't even wanna look at that Trick end bullshit, I got love we're going magic all the way

I think Okonogi might be the strongest witch in this game, but I'm not sure cause someone said he's also in Higurashi

The three who survived have to close the door, nice

gently caress yes Battler, grab that witch and go
Jesus
I did call that she would drown though, I told you fools it's all in faust

This is the weirdest where are they now I've ever seen

First off gently caress Sakutaro, Secondly did Umineko not do well in Japan? It seems like Ryukushi is thanking the rest of the world in this scene
Jesus this is Heavy, nice of Sayo to care for him so long though. Just like him caring for the Doll Beatrice

This must all seem so weird for Ikuko

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 03:37 on May 22, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I've done it. I've heard the Seagull's cry

Umineko no Naku Koro ni is the greatest piece of fiction ever written.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Gaius Marius posted:

You've become a true witch now

I wouldn't recommend reading it immediately because it reveals all of the secrets behind the murders and mysteries, but you should read Confession of the Golden Witch at some point. Give yourself time to digest the ending, formulate your own theories on how each game went down, and then read it.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Just finished one of the Famicom Detective Club games - I've never seen a visual novel so polished, but yet so weirdly designed. I felt thrown back to the adventure games of the 80s and 90s where you have to combine every item with each other until you found the right combination, except in this case it was dialog choices.

Are there any other visual novels with that level of polish/animation, by the way?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Just dropping in to tell you guy's I've finally caved to the incessant walls of spoilers and started to play umineko.

Gaius Marius posted:

The Umineko Experience in a nutshell. I think I'm gonna sit and read everyone else's speculation for awhile.

DemoneeHo posted:

You've become a true witch now

I wouldn't recommend reading it immediately because it reveals all of the secrets behind the murders and mysteries, but you should read Confession of the Golden Witch at some point. Give yourself time to digest the ending, formulate your own theories on how each game went down, and then read it.

I'm curious to see the Trick ending but my heart tell's me it will be bleak as all hell, and I think the game trained me to just leave it alone. I assume it's just Amakusa blowing Ange's brains out after the incident with Sumedara

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Gaius Marius posted:

I'm curious to see the Trick ending but my heart tell's me it will be bleak as all hell, and I think the game trained me to just leave it alone. I assume it's just Amakusa blowing Ange's brains out after the incident with Sumedara

Don't worry, it's very good, though obviously a non-canon ending.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Yeah I'll add that I love the trick ending.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
it loving rules

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

fez_machine posted:

Failbetter posted about developing their new Visual Novel/"Dating Sim" set in the Fallen London universe and it feels like they might be over thinking it:
https://www.failbettergames.com/character-positioning-in-mask-of-the-rose/
You say that, but UI design is one of those things where if you do your job right, no one notices. If there was something a little bit weird or off or hinky, and you had to stare at it for five, ten, twenty hours, you'd really start to hate that little snag.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Gaius Marius posted:

I kinda stopped playin it cause I started playin some other games that came out but I guess I should finish it if it's the greatest piece of fiction ever written

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I mean, it's pretty good.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ymgve posted:

Just finished one of the Famicom Detective Club games - I've never seen a visual novel so polished, but yet so weirdly designed. I felt thrown back to the adventure games of the 80s and 90s where you have to combine every item with each other until you found the right combination, except in this case it was dialog choices.

Are there any other visual novels with that level of polish/animation, by the way?

The more adventure game-y side like Phoenix Wright and Danganronpa does but they're either still generally more static or use 3D for stuff, I've not seen one with the amount of 2D animation that FDC uses. (Not counting the sciadv games that uses scenes from their anime adaptations lol)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
To be fair to S;G Elite at the very least, they did draw a lot of new stuff that wasn't in the anime as well.

No clue on R;N myself

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I have done 3 out 4 routes now on Lady in Mystery and I love it sob sob, it made me cry.

I think there were some tonal issues with one of the routes so far, but the two I completed today didn't ran into that and were good. I'll probably finish this up tommorow.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
I'm early in episode 5 of Umineko and hahaha gently caress Krauss you big dumb loving idiot

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Krauss is a himbo.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I love him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

The realization of exactly how dumb Krauss can possibly be is incredible. A really underrated reveal

Nerdietalk fucked around with this message at 14:37 on May 22, 2021