Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Taking your screen entirely off of the map seems like a potentially big change for PDS games. I’m interested to see how it’ll end up, and maybe more importantly be supported over the years.

The culture/court changes are all very welcome, and I’m glad that inventories are returning.

Anno fucked around with this message at 20:49 on May 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Raskolnikov38 posted:

is there a reason the ck games avoid having anything other than far western China be on the map

They can’t even handle Byzantium and there is no way to do China justice without a massive set of new systems. Just chucking in a feudal China would suck big rear end

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

So courts are apparently only for King and Emperor tier which is pretty lame, unless I as a duke or count can visit the court of my liege or his liege.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

PittTheElder posted:

So courts are apparently only for King and Emperor tier which is pretty lame, unless I as a duke or count can visit the court of my liege or his liege.

Did they release more details on Royal Court anywhere?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Sounds super cool, I'll be excited to have new systems!

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

alcaras posted:

Did they release more details on Royal Court anywhere?

Anno
May 10, 2017

A bit more here

https://www.ign.com/articles/crusader-kings-3s-royal-court-expansion-adds-a-full-3d-throne-room

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Thanks!

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Anno posted:

The culture/court changes are all very welcome, and I’m glad that inventories aren’t returning.

They are returning, though?

IGN posted:

They're also bringing back the character inventory from Crusader Kings 2: Monks and Mystics, including culture-specific weapons that will be displayed on your character and used in animated duels.

Obviously they might make some changes to how it worked in CK2, and overall culture getting the CK3 religion treatment is groundbreaking, plus I'm really happy about having more internal stuff to do as a King/Emperor.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

quote:

the free patch coming alongside Royal Court is reworking CK3's entire culture system. Similarly to how religions are constructed in the base game, cultures will now consist of an Ethos, Traditions, and Pillars. Your Ethos, such as bellicose or spiritual, will define the overall theme. Traditions, of which each culture can have up to six, are special bonuses like being better at farming in harsh terrain or allowing women to fight as knights. Pillars define things like what kind of clothing your culture wears, as well as their Heritage, such as Latin, which replaces the old concept of Culture Groups.

Owners of the DLC will get further opportunities to play with this system. You'll be able to create divergent cultures, spending prestige to mix up all of the above traits and give your new culture a custom name and map culture. Or if you prefer, a foreign ruler in a far-flung land can create a hybrid culture between their own and that of the people they now rule, like Greco-Norse, Indo-Mongol, or maybe some more historically-grounded ones like Norman. This will allow you to combine traits of your old culture and the new one, so you could raid the Indus with viking warrior monks.

All this sounds great!

Anno
May 10, 2017

Dallan Invictus posted:

They are returning, though?

Whoops, bad typo.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
While Viccy3 was the highlight of today, this DLC looks great and I'm really excited for it.

I just hope they're not like Levithan....

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Kris xK posted:

While Viccy3 was the highlight of today,

wait, WHAT

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yeah its happenin

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3968353

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I like the idea behind this new expansion tentatively, though a lot depends on there being more here that they're not telling us in what exactly these courts get up to, like what does having a court full of scholars mean? And the quality of the events and such surrounding it. The dynamic culture system sounds great on the other hand.

PittTheElder posted:

I think this is reasonable, it prevents what would probably otherwise be an explosion of minor non-land-owning characters and places more emphasis on there being more to do as a higher-rank character.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Dallan Invictus posted:

I've been reading a history of the Sassanid Empire lately (obviously a bit out of time-scope but...) and one thing that has struck me is how endemic that sort of raiding was for so long - really the restrictions on raiding in CK3 make very little sense when they could just, say, let everyone do it but give characters of religions that don't embrace it piety hits or something when they do?

I've been of the opinion for a while that everyone should be able to raid up to "x" civilization/crown authority level for a while now. Pagans and viking should just be better at it.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Planning on picking up the base game during the weekend sale, haven't played a GSG since Common Sense-era EU4, what's a good start for a dumb newbie? Would be cool to be outside Europe.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Tutorial island is literally the tutorial this time, which is fun, but if you want outside Europe, Daura is fun to figure out the new mechanics.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Ibblebibble posted:

Planning on picking up the base game during the weekend sale, haven't played a GSG since Common Sense-era EU4, what's a good start for a dumb newbie? Would be cool to be outside Europe.

I've been playing as the Sri Lankan kingdom (I forget the name) in the 867 start and it seems good for a non-European beginner start. You start out with an heir, you personally hold 8 counties, your immediate neighbor isn't very powerful and there are several other weakling duchies to attack, and the king of nearby Rashtrakuta is a nudist. A fine starting point all in all.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Ibblebibble posted:

Honestly just pick anything and jump in. This is easily the game with the most forgiving failure states, and it's generally more fun to fall apart and rebuild.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Ibblebibble posted:

Duchy of Bohemia in 1066 is also a very good start. You're fairly powerful, protected by the HRE, can form a kingdom almost immediately, and your decisions give you some directions to go in.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
I second Duchy of Bohemia. They also have seniority succession making expansion so much easier and removing the frustration a new player might feel from realm split on succession.

And a golden mine!

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Ibblebibble posted:

Sri Lanka.

They're feudal, one of the highest developed cultures in the world, on excellent terms with their neighbors. You can play peacefully while you learn to manage successions and then you can ramp into war mode easily. You're so far outside of crusade/jihad range they'll never threaten you unless you expand so far inland that you'll have a huge army by then, and you get to be polygamous and use war elephants.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Guess I'll be trying out Sri Lanka and then Bohemia after Tutorial Island, thanks for the suggestions all. I normally play countries in the Southeast Asia region in EU4 which isn't really an option here outside of future expansions, so...

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
As someone who started as Norse and wound up converting culture to Andalusian in my ongoing file, I gotta say, merging cultures sounds pretty good to me. I feel like my characters would have been just a little different from most Andalusians.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I've been casually going for King of All the Isles achievo for the past few games, and boy is it frustrating! First time I started up in Iceland and worked my way through the northern islands. By the time I had sewn those up and looked south to the Mediterranean I discover that the Byzantines have gobbled up the entire Balkans, half of Italy, the Levant, etc. Monstrously big and with no regional rivals, the idea of fighting them for their core islands sounded like a pain!

Then I tried with Haesteinn, go straight for Constantinople, won, held it together as a Duke and grabbed the Isle of Man and elevated the Kingdom of Man. Pretty cool! Things were going well until a successor ruler died in his early 50s after like 6 years on the throne (murdered i bet) and just blew everything apart. I had to take a break for a week because ugh!

So I'm ready to cheese it a little bit. I read that the current game only checks the "80 realm size or smaller" condition at the start of a loaded game. I have my game where I successfully created the High Kingdom of the North Sea, and as a victory lap for funsies I reformed Asatru and made myself the temporal head of faith. Loaded that save up, spent 50~ years grabbing the islands I need for King of All the Isles, and now I am finally ready to try and do this.

Does anybody have advice for how the gently caress I do do it? I'm an emperor, I have level 2 crown authority. Somehow I need to chop my empire up into pieces, granting king vassals independence, while keeping all the islands I need. I'm not quite sure where to start, it is a little overwhelming.

e: do I start by forcibly revoking and taking for myself the various Kingdom titles I need? Then parceling out from there? My two largest and most powerful vassals are the Kings of England and Sicily+Denmark, and I'm definitely going to need direct control over those kingdoms if I want to break them up in right way, right?

e: I tried revoking some kingdom titles, but it seems even with 100 dread I went too far. Half my vassals rose up against me, I lost the war, deposed. Now my 5 year old son is emperor. The empire seems intact, but its going to be touch-and-go with the child ruler. gently caress I hate this game sometimes. gently caress!

How are u fucked around with this message at 23:57 on May 23, 2021

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Just finished an Adamite playthrough, they're pretty fun! You get to do pretty much anything you want and you only have to deal with Holy Wars every now and then :megadeath:

edit: while I'm here, do counties eventually naturally change to the foreign culture/religion of the holder if different?

eleven extra elephants fucked around with this message at 22:52 on May 23, 2021

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

eleven extra elephants posted:

edit: while I'm here, do counties eventually naturally change to the foreign culture/religion of the holder if different?

No, the title holder has to actively do it.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Veryslightlymad posted:

As someone who started as Norse and wound up converting culture to Andalusian in my ongoing file, I gotta say, merging cultures sounds pretty good to me. I feel like my characters would have been just a little different from most Andalusians.

I played a few times after the patch that enabled Norse adventuring, and that's kind of my biggest problem with the game right now. I had to decide between staying Norse and switching to a culture that usually had absolutely nothing interesting going on.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

No Pants posted:

I played a few times after the patch that enabled Norse adventuring, and that's kind of my biggest problem with the game right now. I had to decide between staying Norse and switching to a culture that usually had absolutely nothing interesting going on.

In my case I converted to escape being blackmailed, which didn't even work.

But then my next ruler watched in his early years as Catholics kept killing his cousins and friends in sieges, and spent a lot of time asking to join defensive wars to stop them from encroaching ever further down the peninsula. After winning a brutal war, he left to do the Hajj.
He came back from the Hajj, finished his Chivalry tree (thus becoming recognized as Gallant) and Asturias annexed one of my immediate neighbors..........all on the same day.

So he spent the back half of his life kicking most of the Christians off the continent. He finished with a war for Asturias itself, and lived exactly as long as he needed to to win the war, dying on the same clock tick where I got 100% war score, which not only kicked the Catholics out, but kept my realm from fracturing because while he won the war, his son made the peace treaty. (And once again, major events on the same day)

This game can make some incredible emergent stories.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Isn't he adorable? :allears:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Ooooh, shiny hats. Me wants.

I also hope that, as a viking, I can wield in battle a saint's bone looted from some church and get a bonus to Dread.

Cultures getting the religion treatment sounds awesome too! Good news all around, except now I just know I'm going to wait to play CK3 until this releases :negative:

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
It was kinda disappointing to see the first dlc have a lot of content locked to a single culture, but if the new culture system has the mechanics as part of a pool similar to religions then its a decision that makes a lot more sense.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Ibblebibble posted:

Guess I'll be trying out Sri Lanka and then Bohemia after Tutorial Island, thanks for the suggestions all. I normally play countries in the Southeast Asia region in EU4 which isn't really an option here outside of future expansions, so...

The 1066 start let's you rampage across South India if that's more your style.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Vagabong posted:

It was kinda disappointing to see the first dlc have a lot of content locked to a single culture, but if the new culture system has the mechanics as part of a pool similar to religions then its a decision that makes a lot more sense.
:same:
I hope these larger expansions won't be culture specific

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Dwesa posted:

:same:
I hope these larger expansions won't be culture specific

IIRC they've stated that the big expansions will mostly be about adding mechanics/possible map expansions.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Veryslightlymad posted:

This game can make some incredible emergent stories.

My shieldmaiden daughter became a berserker by ripping the head off of the same guy who killed her older brother who she was friends with as a child.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I started a game last night as one of the small states in India. Kind of disappointed it's just like playing in Ireland except for having more religions around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea I'm kinda surprised at how large the map is at release; the game's built around Eurocentric Feudal Pope stuff, and the politicking of other areas is probably not very well represented.