Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

You guys are the smartiest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Motronic posted:

You can hang them like a picture. Just make a cardboard or luan backer and glue them to it, then hang that. Because gluing them to things is the way you install them.

Just to be sure: your furniture is back in there and everything? Because yeah, without that even rugs might not really do it.

(FYI, I suggest a sprayable glue for this)

I was going to say basically this with 3m velcro style command strips to the wall

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

https://products.geappliances.com/MarketingObjectRetrieval/Dispatcher?RequestType=PDF&Name=49-55000.pdf

Wtf my crappy old dishwasher (GSD4260J00SS) has no filter. Better make sure I'm scrubbing everything! So dumb that these ever got made without filters, seems to be begging for pipes blocked with gross garbage that will then need snaking. I don't have a snake and don't want to buy or rent one. Plus I live in a condo building, so blocked pipes routinely mean water damaged floors/ceilings of other units.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Inner Light posted:

https://products.geappliances.com/MarketingObjectRetrieval/Dispatcher?RequestType=PDF&Name=49-55000.pdf

Wtf my crappy old dishwasher (GSD4260J00SS) has no filter. Better make sure I'm scrubbing everything! So dumb that these ever got made without filters, seems to be begging for pipes blocked with gross garbage that will then need snaking. I don't have a snake and don't want to buy or rent one. Plus I live in a condo building, so blocked pipes routinely mean water damaged floors/ceilings of other units.

I think a lot of dishwashers are built with an assumption that they drain into a garbage disposal.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Motronic posted:

I think a lot of dishwashers are built with an assumption that they drain into a garbage disposal.

The wtf deepens. I do indeed have a disposal, but it looks like the drain hose from the dishwasher (goes to the dishwasher through the far right of photo) connects to the left drain of the sink that....doesn't have a disposal. Am I crazy?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Inner Light posted:

The wtf deepens. I do indeed have a disposal, but it looks like the drain hose from the dishwasher (goes to the dishwasher through the far right of photo) connects to the left drain of the sink that....doesn't have a disposal. Am I crazy?

You're not crazy, the plumber was really drunk. That's totally wrong. See the stub coming out of the disposal? The dishwasher is supposed to go there.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Inner Light posted:

Weird, I thought they all did. Or a food grinder. Maybe time for an upgrade?

My (only 4 year old) GE that came with the house recently took a dump and we replaced it with a Bosch that we love the poo poo out of. It's insanely quiet (all you can really hear is the water draining into the disposal) and the third rack is great for silverware but really for little ramekins and cat food bowl type poo poo, the kinda stuff that when its in a normal top rack flops over and fills with water.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Motronic posted:

You're not crazy, the plumber was really drunk. That's totally wrong. See the stub coming out of the disposal? The dishwasher is supposed to go there.

Ughhhhhhhh a plumber was just here a few days ago to help me replace the kitchen faucet, since I had weird valves, and they didn't point it out. That really sucks.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Inner Light posted:

fuckin lmao yes thats completely wrong

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

bird with big dick posted:

fuckin lmao yes thats completely wrong

I mean....there's at least a high loop, which is better than most.

But yeah, it's still wrong.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Should I try to fix this myself or call the idiot plumber back that didn't notice this? They'll definitely charge me like at least 200 bucks for the 10 mins it will take them. Gotta figure out how to plug the drain stem on the left sink and connect properly to the disposal.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
What's the switch under the sink for? Just curious since it's a pretty weird place to have a switch for anything

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

gwrtheyrn posted:

What's the switch under the sink for? Just curious since it's a pretty weird place to have a switch for anything

It's a power switch for the disposal I guess, though it has the normal toggle switch wired up above the sink.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Inner Light posted:

Should I try to fix this myself or call the idiot plumber back that didn't notice this? They'll definitely charge me like at least 200 bucks for the 10 mins it will take them. Gotta figure out how to plug the drain stem on the left sink and connect properly to the disposal.

I mean....this depends on skill set and tools. Optimally you replace the tailpiece on the left sink with one that doesn't have a dishwasher tap and then do whatever to open the dishwasher inlet on the disposal. That could mean actually drilling it out, I don't really know for that particular unit in there, and then attaching it, which it may or may not be the same size (looks larger) so you may need a reducer.

It's totally achievable with a trip or two to the hardware store if you have a few tools around and are willing to look up the model of your disposal and see what they say in the instructions about that dishwasher input. You may also be able to find a plug/boot for the inlet on the tailpiece so you don't have to replace it, but it does need to be capped off somehow when you take the dishwasher drain off of it.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
That is a very odd plumbing job under that sink not standard at all. Why do they connect into a Y instead of joining together like every sink before going into the wall.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Elephanthead posted:

That is a very odd plumbing job under that sink not standard at all. Why do they connect into a Y instead of joining together like every sink before going into the wall.

This too. It looks like there are two drain lines. The whole two trap thing is just weird, which is why I said the plumber was very drunk. I don't think that part is problematic. Just odd.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

bird with big dick posted:

Weird, I thought they all did. Or a food grinder. Maybe time for an upgrade?

My (only 4 year old) GE that came with the house recently took a dump and we replaced it with a Bosch that we love the poo poo out of. It's insanely quiet (all you can really hear is the water draining into the disposal) and the third rack is great for silverware but really for little ramekins and cat food bowl type poo poo, the kinda stuff that when its in a normal top rack flops over and fills with water.

One of us. One of us.

Isn't it amazing what new modern ones can do?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

One of us. One of us.

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!

Inner Light posted:

Groversink

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Where are you guys even finding Bosch 800's? I keep trying to find one to buy and they are out of stock everywhere.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Where are you guys even finding Bosch 800's? I keep trying to find one to buy and they are out of stock everywhere.

I just looked it up on HomeDepot and it's in stock out here, but it's loving $2899. Jesus christ. :suicide: They list a $1500 rebate on it to bring it down to $1399, but gently caress.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
Are they the same as the series 8? I'm in Denmark and been thinking about getting a new dishwasher. Product code SMV8YCX01E

Struensee fucked around with this message at 11:06 on May 22, 2021

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Sundae posted:

I just looked it up on HomeDepot and it's in stock out here, but it's loving $2899. Jesus christ. :suicide: They list a $1500 rebate on it to bring it down to $1399, but gently caress.

The $1500 rebate only applies if you buy 7 Bosch kitchen appliance items.

You don't get any rebate until you hit 3 items, and at 3 it's only $300.

But I also just see the direct price at $1399?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bosch-8...8Z75N/310500132

And Best Buy has it for 1149

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/bosch-...p?skuId=6360644

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Showing unavailable everywhere for me. We've looked at home Depot, Lowes, and the HD design center and all are telling us 8 to 12 weeks for Bosch appliances (and other brands we looked at).

Edit: might be different based on zip code.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 17:07 on May 22, 2021

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

PageMaster posted:

Showing unavailable everywhere for me. We've looked at home Depot, Lowes, and the HD design center and all are telling us 8 to 12 weeks for Bosch appliances (and other brands we looked at).

Edit: might be different based on zip code.

It's probably accurate, but you have to buy to start the clock. Hoping for stock isn't going to change it. The world is crazy right now.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

H110Hawk posted:

It's probably accurate, but you have to buy to start the clock. Hoping for stock isn't going to change it. The world is crazy right now.

Yeah, the second we know for sure that we are closing on our new house (structural engineer this friday!) We are placing our appliance orders, because even if we aren't ready for them when they arrive, we'd rather store them in the basement than deal with the uncertainty of availability.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Anyone good at pest identifications?

I’m trying to decide if these are chiggers or clover mites. It’s important because I need to know how much to yell at my kid to stay away, and how urgently I need to nuke them.

This is in NYC (Bronx). It’s a little garden bed (probably like 8’x2.5’) made of trex. There’s a shitload of mint that started growing it in, but there’s nothing else in there other that soil.

I’m thinking (hoping) they’re clover mites because they’re quite easy to see and seem larger than chiggers are reported to be.

I dusted the absolute gently caress out of it with food grade diacotamos earth cause I don’t want to give up the mint if I don’t have to.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Clover mite IMO

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Emailed my inspector about the dishwasher plumbing oddity to get his thoughts (included the photo), his position is that it's normal and the usual setup. Who's right?? I guess it won't kill me to leave it. I'll just not put any giant food pieces in there.

quote:

Hi Inner Light,

There’s certainly nothing wrong with draining into a sink tailpiece without a garbage disposer. The dishwasher has to be able to do that, because a lot of people don’t have disposers. In some places they’re not even allowed. And if it discharged into a disposer in such a way that you then needed to turn on the disposer you could have a huge mess if someone forgets to turn on the disposer, or just doesn’t do it. So this is not a problem, and in fact this is the way it’s usually done.

With two sinks you can either combine the two drain pipes and then have one trap, or have two traps and then combine them. Either way is fine. What you can’t do is have two traps along a single drain path. But you don’t have that in this case.

-Inspector

I'll get another datapoint from the plumber and see what he thinks, lol. This is always the way I make decisions. I'm like Joe Biden, gotta consult a bunch of people.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 00:07 on May 23, 2021

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I realize anecdote isn't data but I've literally never seen a kitchen sink with a disposal and a dishwasher where the dishwasher drain didn't go straight to the disposal.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Nothing wrong and normal aren't really the same thing. Like he's probably technically correct, but I think most of us would call it weird and dumb

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Inner Light posted:

Emailed my inspector about the dishwasher plumbing oddity to get his thoughts (included the photo), his position is that it's normal and the usual setup. Who's right?? I guess it won't kill me to leave it. I'll just not put any giant food pieces in there.

I'll get another datapoint from the plumber and see what he thinks, lol. This is always the way I make decisions. I'm like Joe Biden, gotta consult a bunch of people.

Read his first two sentences and then remember that you have a garbage disposal.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Inner Light posted:

There's nothing more worth bothering with here - I wouldn't pay someone ahead of closing to "give an opinion" on that. It's not broken just dumb. If that's the dumbest thing you find in the house count your blessings. Have a plumber out to scope the sewer lateral all the way to the city, not adjust someones hangover.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

H110Hawk posted:

There's nothing more worth bothering with here - I wouldn't pay someone ahead of closing to "give an opinion" on that. It's not broken just dumb. If that's the dumbest thing you find in the house count your blessings. Have a plumber out to scope the sewer lateral all the way to the city, not adjust someones hangover.

Oh yeah, I am long closed several weeks back by now, this is all on me. I'm pretty happy overall! I'm in a condo building so no sewer scoping, since any failure would be under the HOA... special assessment sure would be a fun welcome gift if the sewer line was screwed up. Also the reserve study from 2018 indicated a roof replacement might be needed in the next couple years from now, at a cost of ~$270K, so that's going to be fun as well.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 01:46 on May 23, 2021

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Inner Light posted:

Oh yeah, I am long closed several weeks back by now, this is all on me. I'm pretty happy overall! I'm in a condo building so no sewer scoping, since any failure would be under the HOA... special assessment sure would be a fun welcome gift if the sewer line was screwed up. Also the reserve study from 2018 indicated a roof replacement might be needed in the next couple years from now, at a cost of ~$270K, so that's going to be fun as well.

You getting that roof done in gold and diamonds? gently caress me!

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

Inner Light posted:

It looks like a 15 min DYI job to fix anyways. The pipe you would need to change would probably cost $5.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Priority check:

My (tank) water heater is 11 years old, and the previous owners never once flushed it or changed the anode. The anode is firmly rusted into place so I can't even get it out. When I flushed it on move-in, I had plenty of brown sediment for 2-3 flushes. I've had to flush it again once in the last year when more brown water came back.

I called a plumber about the rusted-in anode, and his response was that sure, he could try to get it out but odds are the tank is on its last legs already. It'd cost "around $250" to get the rusted anode removed. (Bay area pricing, seems high to me but everything is high here.)

I'm thinking that instead of wasting $250 on a tank that is probably already near death, just trash the thing and replace with a tankless that I take proper care of in the first place. What are your thoughts, thread?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I would bite the bullet and replace it. A basic tank replacement should only be $1000-1500 more and you probably will have to do it in a year or 4 anyway.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Doing it now saves you any of the property damage that might occur when the current tank fails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Agreed with the both of you.

Also, trying to get a stuck anode out may very well lead to an emergency replacement on a unit in the kind of shape you're describing Sundae.