Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
You guys were right about the Prawn being OP on land in BZ - I had never dared take it topside in my first two plays through in Early Access because I knew how glitchy and buggy it was from the first game. It seems like devs expect you to take it on land in BZ though, since there are some deposits to drill.

Now I've got ion cubes for days :cool:

Rynoto posted:

I was curious and tried to put a pengling into the bioreactor.

They are not good fuel.

Extremely cursed post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Rynoto posted:

They are not good fuel.

I wonder if you can put Sea Monkey eggs in there.

Nukelear v.2 posted:

That's not what you did anyway? Curious if you took the truck all the way into final biome, I would assume the shock module recharge would to be slow to keep them off you in the last room. I ditched my truck as soon as I go into the purple crystal biome.

The tactic is to just wait until they grab you, then zap them. You get a damaged a little bit, but if you just repair when you get to 50% or whatever, there's 0 chance of dying.

uXs fucked around with this message at 23:35 on May 21, 2021

nekoxid
Mar 17, 2009

uXs posted:

Yes. The bioreactor will take any eggs (and pretty much anything that is biological: food, fishes/animals, plants, seeds).

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Another random puzzling BZ design choice: lantern fruit have been nerfed from the first game to not also satisfy thirst, but they've added in a nut that gives you even more hunger and thirst satiation than OG lantern fruit :iiam:

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

uXs posted:

My first base was powered by three bioreactors churning through Squidsharks and their eggs after a lucky find of two eggs in some cave. They're great power.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Tsar Mikey posted:

There's a first aid kit you can make. Check in the personal equipment section.

Ooohh yeah that makes sense. I was hopping out and drowning. lol

thanks

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Rynoto posted:

They are not good fuel.

not good based on the matter to fuel ratio or the humanity to fuel ratio?

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Another random puzzling BZ design choice: lantern fruit have been nerfed from the first game to not also satisfy thirst, but they've added in a nut that gives you even more hunger and thirst satiation than OG lantern fruit :iiam:

I fell like they pretty much just said gently caress it since you can't have a mobile garden in the cyclops and the indoor grow beds are locked behind story progress.

Spicy fruit salad is completely insane, 85 food / 30 water and doesn't spoil. It's nice to go from depopulating the ocean to a full fridge of peppers and melons.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Just finished Below Zero, and drat, what an amazing follow up. Feels a bit less than a full game, more like a really good expansion pack or something, but obviously amazing for the price. Great biome design in this one, all the new mechanics are fun an interesting, story was great. Just all around well done. I've been fixated on it for the last week, it's been bad.

I think I had a bit of a different energy mix than the rest of ya'll, I found the blueprints for the nuclear reactor from the crashed Turkish Vessel really early on, and with it 5 fuel rods, so I was just using that the whole game. I never even got past the first rod. Also, I found the prawn to be not particularly useful in this one I took the Sea Truck all the way down to the final zone no problem, although the electrical defense matrix was critical to survival there

Only complaint is the Ice Worm mechanics felt a little eh. I think I would have rather it been that the thumpers distract the worm, rather than repel it, or maybe the thumpers have much longer battery life but the worms are way more fatal so you have to build a path to the objective using the thumpers. As it stood I basically would just ride around on my bike until a worm knocked me off, then quickly throw down a thumper and be on my way, which felt cheesy but was effective.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Talorat posted:

Only complaint is the Ice Worm mechanics felt a little eh. I think I would have rather it been that the thumpers distract the worm, rather than repel it, or maybe the thumpers have much longer battery life but the worms are way more fatal so you have to build a path to the objective using the thumpers. As it stood I basically would just ride around on my bike until a worm knocked me off, then quickly throw down a thumper and be on my way, which felt cheesy but was effective.

[spoiler] I never built any thumpers, the worm doesn't do a lot of damage and the bike is fast to repair. So I would just immediately get back on the bike and speed away. I never felt in any danger [spoiler]

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I literally ran on foot without thumpers. No problem. Less than one medkit needed.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
It annoys me when people criticise this game just because it's not the size of the original Subnautica.
I have admittedly been following this game closely, but the developers have made it clear several times that this game is an expansion, it's gotten bigger but at no point was it going to be Subnautica 2.

There are certainly things to criticise about the story and gameplay elements, but they never promised us a huge game.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I laughed out loud when I found the headlamp and learned that it replaces your rebreather.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Talorat posted:

I'm surprised you even needed to do this much. My strat was to just sprint around on foot. No vehicles, no thumpers. I don't think it ever even hit me.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I laughed out loud when I found the headlamp and learned that it replaces your rebreather.
I still can't decide which "upgrade" is more passive aggressive.

That headlamp, or replacing the ultra glide fins with High capacity size 90 second air tank that consumes 5 air a second to gain JUST as much extra speed as the penalty for wearing an air tank in the first place or whatever math the wiki listed.

I am personally more annoyed with the removal of ultra glide fins, considering I loved those things in the first game. But the fact a head lamp of all things also demands an ion battery to craft (according to the wiki) is it's own special brand of pettiness.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 09:25 on May 22, 2021

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Talorat posted:

The Ice Worms just suck entirely once you figure out it's not actually a creature and is basically a bunch of func_triggers scattered over the map that play canned animations with timed hurtboxes when you enter them. Standing at the mouth of a cave and watching one do the exact same animation ten times in a row really breaks the illusion quick. As long as you keep moving in a straight line it's basically impossible to get hit since it can't adjust at all.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Beat it just now - I checked the wiki for the materials to bring with me for the last component so I could do the endgame area in one trip. I had some hilarious moments with the shadow leviathan grabbing my prawn suit in front of me and shaking it like a Polaroid, me repairing it, only to have the shadow leviathan repeat. Actually wasn't sure I was gonna be able to save it and get out.

I never found the stupid electrical defense upgrade for the truck - think I have everything else.

Something I didn't find on my earlier EA mostly-playthroughs - if you go back to Marg's post-greenhouse (or maybe earlier?) you can get into the back room and scan some new internal stuff to build in your base.

SynthesisAlpha posted:

I fell like they pretty much just said gently caress it since you can't have a mobile garden in the cyclops and the indoor grow beds are locked behind story progress.

Spicy fruit salad is completely insane, 85 food / 30 water and doesn't spoil. It's nice to go from depopulating the ocean to a full fridge of peppers and melons.

Oh man, I glossed over them when I unlocked the blueprint, salad is hilariously OP.

Jawnycat posted:

The Ice Worms just suck entirely once you figure out it's not actually a creature and is basically a bunch of func_triggers scattered over the map that play canned animations with timed hurtboxes when you enter them. Standing at the mouth of a cave and watching one do the exact same animation ten times in a row really breaks the illusion quick. As long as you keep moving in a straight line it's basically impossible to get hit since it can't adjust at all.

I figured this out too - Prawn does a good job sucking the tension out of the aboveground sections.

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 10:15 on May 22, 2021

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I'm at the point where I have to assemble my friend with the 3 pieces, and there was a dialog that says 'you remember the fabricator room? you have to return there.'
And I'm like 'what fabricator room?' In fact a quick look at the wiki points to the deepest part of the game, where I have never been to.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Section Z posted:

I still can't decide which "upgrade" is more passive aggressive.

That headlamp, or replacing the ultra glide fins with High capacity size 90 second air tank that consumes 5 air a second to gain JUST as much extra speed as the penalty for wearing an air tank in the first place or whatever math the wiki listed.

I am personally more annoyed with the removal of ultra glide fins, considering I loved those things in the first game. But the fact a head lamp of all things also demands an ion battery to craft (according to the wiki) is it's own special brand of pettiness.

I tried the headlamp once for exploring a wreck, but it was fairly deep and removing the rebreather is such a huge penalty that I switched back almost straight away. Would've been nice if they could've balanced them better, or if they made the headlamp an upgrade for the rebreather. (Or put it in the place of the chip or the compass maybe.) Because as it is now, it's not really a choice. And yeah, an ion battery to craft one is ridiculous.

Agreed about the ultra glide fins. I preferred those in the original for the speed, over the charging fins. But I know from watching streams that other people were the opposite and preferred the chargers. Pity that they removed something that gave you an actual choice.

Oh well, at least there is still 1 vestimentary choice you have to make.

But it would've been nice if they had spent a bit more time in tools & equipment alternatives instead of making 10 different types of beds.

nekoxid
Mar 17, 2009

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Believe it or not, I actually finished the first Subnautica without having the rebreather (I somehow assumed that already I had it). That said, I never felt the need to make the headlamp here since none of the areas seemed dark enough to need it. (Plus after those squidcrab things from the first game I pretty much started using light sources only when I really needed them - don't know if there are actually any creatures that behave like that here.)

Fake edit: Oh also it's kinda weird/funny how after finding the PDA where Sam and Margureit goes over their plan to destroy the lab and the virus, and then after finding the frozen creature and hearing about the 'accident' Robin goes "It doesn't make any sense. She would never destroy a base...well...baselessly." It sounds like I was meant to find and use the cure first, and then find the PDA (with the log) later?

nekoxid fucked around with this message at 13:18 on May 22, 2021

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Just got the first depth module for my Cyclops, all my vehicles can now go down to 900m. Guess it's now time to truly begin diving deeper.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I found magnetite, and made the scanner room chip! Yaaa--

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Even worse: They respawn.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Oasx posted:

It annoys me when people criticise this game just because it's not the size of the original Subnautica.
I have admittedly been following this game closely, but the developers have made it clear several times that this game is an expansion, it's gotten bigger but at no point was it going to be Subnautica 2.

There are certainly things to criticise about the story and gameplay elements, but they never promised us a huge game.

I wouldn’t criticize the game for being small in scope. I would criticize it for not doing more interesting environments within its small scope. Half the game, to me, feels like flyover country.

I think, too, that it’s not entirely unfair for people to have greater expectations for a game that was in work for something like 2.5 years.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 14:25 on May 22, 2021

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

ymgve posted:

Even worse: They respawn.

oh god why

Is there no way to filter it to "fragments I haven't got yet"? I have lockers full of titanium ingots, I really don't need more, but I'm also sitting at like 3/4 for a bunch of different recipes so I do need to find the last bits.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

coolusername posted:

oh god why

Is there no way to filter it to "fragments I haven't got yet"? I have lockers full of titanium ingots, I really don't need more, but I'm also sitting at like 3/4 for a bunch of different recipes so I do need to find the last bits.

Fraid not, still I'd say that you probably aren't looking for fragments in the right place. I think the rarer fragments are in places where fragments are much more sparse.

Fallom posted:

I wouldn’t criticize the game for being small in scope. I would criticize it for not doing more interesting environments within its small scope. Half the game, to me, feels like flyover country.

I think, too, that it’s not entirely unfair for people to have greater expectations for a game that was in work for something like 2.5 years.

Making games isn't a linear process.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

coolusername posted:

oh god why

If you’re looking in the wrong place for the fragment you need you’re just going to be wasting your time. They’re highly specific to certain biomes.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Fangz posted:

Fraid not, still I'd say that you probably aren't looking for fragments in the right place. I think the rarer fragments are in places where fragments are much more sparse.

Probably, I get the feeling I'm doing it wrong to be honest? I've mostly just been following around my Alien buddy's waymarks and I just got to the greenhouse with the PDA that talks about Sam but I haven't... actually explored any other base besides Delta because I was busy with base building and drowning in caves.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Wow I never realized that the aquarium module actually actively does what it says in the description.

That makes it hugely more useful and now I wish I had dragged it around more.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
After like the third time a warper has yeeted me out of a vehicle I've started to find it really satisfying just grabbing them and punching them until they run off. Kinda wish I could kill em for good though since there's some nice heat areas in the south west I'd like to move my base in that area towards to use a thermal plant at but a warper likes to patrol around it and it will just make it a hassle moving my seamoth through the area.

Also how far can I chain power transmitters?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Zerilan posted:

After like the third time a warper has yeeted me out of a vehicle I've started to find it really satisfying just grabbing them and punching them until they run off. Kinda wish I could kill em for good though since there's some nice heat areas in the south west I'd like to move my base in that area towards to use a thermal plant at but a warper likes to patrol around it and it will just make it a hassle moving my seamoth through the area.

Also how far can I chain power transmitters?
Yeah Warpers are either a non-issue or an absolute nightmare depending on how self aware they can essentially respawn moments after repulsing them into the horizon or brutalizing them if they want to.

As for power transmitters, pretty loving far if I remember right. But then you run into the issue of "Too far for the thermal vents to actually be loaded" which happened to me a couple times when I got too enthusiastic about long distance power chains. So I started to try to stick to "At least in the same biome or within 200(?) meters" distances.

uXs posted:

Wow I never realized that the aquarium module actually actively does what it says in the description.

That makes it hugely more useful and now I wish I had dragged it around more.
Did you make the heat knife that instant cooks wild fish yet? I'm glad it is a default with the modification station now. One of the nicer steps forward compared to the base game.

The aquarium module would be more tempting to me if it had a built in mini fabricator you could use to turn fish into food and water, but right now it feels like I'd rather add a second storage module to shove a greater number of hand caught fish and crafted water bottles into. If you could set a filter for "Only catch bladderfish" I'd like it a lot more (Unless I somehow missed you can do that).

That said, it looks real nice if you want the sea truck to look a little less depressing. Aquarium is cooler than the sleeper module.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 16:56 on May 22, 2021

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I mostly use the sleeper module for the Jukebox

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I’m surprised they didn’t make a short range scanner module.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Going through this canyon in the area with all the blue orbs in the south. At 450 meters and still diving I'm by far the deepest I've been. Just had a big crap thing hit me with an EMP pulse which was pretty scary.

This feels very much like a one way trip with just the cyclops and prawn suit. Debating whether to re-load and get more magnetite first.

edit: oh poo poo just found an abandoned seabase down here!

Evrart Claire fucked around with this message at 17:15 on May 22, 2021

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Oasx posted:

I’m surprised they didn’t make a short range scanner module.

This would be awesome, and hey, maybe make it provide ping functionality.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
680m deep now. In the biome that looks like plant walls with huge skeletons. Getting the cyclops down here was so difficult I don't think I could easily get up that entrance again so I think I'm stuck deep for the long haul now.

Went further in, see leviathans, am terrified now.

edit: punched it with the prawn suit and the jerk clipped through the wall to swim away from me. If I do manage to kill it, do leviathans respawn?

Evrart Claire fucked around with this message at 18:01 on May 22, 2021

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Zerilan posted:

680m deep now. In the biome that looks like plant walls with huge skeletons. Getting the cyclops down here was so difficult I don't think I could easily get up that entrance again so I think I'm stuck deep for the long haul now.

Went further in, see leviathans, am terrified now.

edit: punched it with the prawn suit and the jerk clipped through the wall to swim away from me. If I do manage to kill it, do leviathans respawn?

It takes a couple hours ingame but the leviathans do respawn, yes. I never had that much of a problem maneuvering the Cyclops around the underdeeps, you may just want to get some practice with it and with switching around the various exterior cameras when you're piloting it. Don't try to stuff the Cyclops down the vertical entrances from the surface to the underdeep. You should be entering and leaving mostly horizontally. I stuffed it down a hole my first time too, and hoo boy did it not want to fit. It was much easier when I found the right ways through.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Bad Munki posted:

This would be awesome, and hey, maybe make it provide ping functionality.

Someone hire this man as the ideas guy.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Fallom posted:

What does that have anything to do with anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

My favorite story moment in BZ was when Alan uses several musical metaphors in a sentence, demonstrating a very clear understanding of music and its intricacies. And then a few minutes later he has some unrelated conversation with your character where he is baffled by this bizarre and incomprehensible human concept called..."music"?