Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

I'm still frustrated with DW9 because it's all about this big new open world, and then barely does anything with it. It feels more like the team was told "Open world games are big! Make dyansty warriors one!" than actually wanting to include it to make the game better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Alacron posted:

Depends, if you're into these games for battlefield tactics and trying to puzzle out the correct order to accomplish objectives then AoC will be a letdown. It's very much a brawler with little tactical input from the player making any difference beyond "how fast can you defeat the enemies?"

If you're into it for diversity of characters and movesets, and enjoy playing against tough enemies and figuring out how to match each character to each challenge then there's a lot to like.

For myself, I've 100% the available content and had a blast doing so, but to each their own.

My biggest gripe with AoC was that by the time you get 2 or 3 maxed out weapons you'll have 100%ed the game. I had a good time doing it though. If I were to pick either back up I'd probably go with AoC simply because the way it handles items/glyphs and large monster fights is vastly better than HW.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

https://twitter.com/bk2128/status/1395012114226421768

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lol Troy

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gundam going remarkably strong given how long it's been since we had a game in the franchise. Here's hoping Bamco takes some hints.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Can Berserk even be called a series even if it was one game

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Darth Walrus posted:

Gundam going remarkably strong given how long it's been since we had a game in the franchise. Here's hoping Bamco takes some hints.

Surprised to see it beat Hyrule, I thought that one was very well-received.

I also would've expected one piece and FE to be switched

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Speaking of which, I got to play Hyrule Warriors for the first time recently and it's pretty drat good. Except for the big bosses cause they all require you just wait with a thumb up your rear end for one specific attack before you can do any damage to them.

Also, very strange that it doesn't have dodge offset like One-Piece Musou had.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

Speaking of which, I got to play Hyrule Warriors for the first time recently and it's pretty drat good. Except for the big bosses cause they all require you just wait with a thumb up your rear end for one specific attack before you can do any damage to them.

Also, very strange that it doesn't have dodge offset like One-Piece Musou had.

Hyrule Warriors bosses are awful when you need a good time on a map in order to get a new character or weapon, and the boss just refuses to become vulnerable, especially the bosses that are otherwise invincible. At least some of them you can do chip damage while you wait.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Hunter Noventa posted:

Hyrule Warriors bosses are awful when you need a good time on a map in order to get a new character or weapon, and the boss just refuses to become vulnerable, especially the bosses that are otherwise invincible. At least some of them you can do chip damage while you wait.

They mostly solved this issue in the ports with the rechargeable magic gauge if you have multiple characters poking them.

But of course that still has the issue of not working on stages where you only get one character.

The only one I really hate is Phantom Gannon because his tells and attacks are dumb as gently caress and playing light tennis is rough with a lot of characters.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Give more Gundam Musou you gaddang cowards

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Silmarillion Musou.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

WW2 Musou

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
I always wanted to know what kind of over-the-top spin they'd give to the cast of Game of Thrones/A Song of Ice and Fire.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Arslan Warriors? I don't remember that one but it must have been awful if fuckin' Troy won out over it.

Shinjobi posted:

Give more Gundam Musou you gaddang cowards

This.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Arslan Warriors was a really budget game based on some anime designed by the Fullmetal alchemist person. The only gimmick besides being a super generic musou was a cards system.

Also did none of you remember the last gundam musou

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Tae posted:

I thought there were just the three until recently. Did the newest one return to character specific what-if story campaigns?

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Tae posted:

Arslan Warriors was a really budget game based on some anime designed by the Fullmetal alchemist person. The only gimmick besides being a super generic musou was a cards system.

The Arslan novels are written by the same guy who wrote Legend of Galactic Heroes.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I had no idea there was a fourth Gundam Musou game until I looked it up just now, seeing as how my PS3 was stolen years ago and they're shutting down the PS Store on it I guess I'll never play it, but if it was bad I guess that's fine. I only played the first and third Gundam Musou games and thought they were pretty good, I hear 2 had some weird poo poo with the rival system that sucked though.

Also I've had thoughts about them making an American themed Musou game set in the Revolutionary War or something, containing historic figures like Ben Franklin wielding a kite charged with electricity, but also folk heroes like John Henry and Paul Bunyan.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
They reversed the decision on closing the ps3 store a month ago

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
i liked DW:G Reborn more than the previous 3

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Twelve by Pies posted:

Also I've had thoughts about them making an American themed Musou game set in the Revolutionary War or something, containing historic figures like Ben Franklin wielding a kite charged with electricity, but also folk heroes like John Henry and Paul Bunyan.

Koei had a strategy game based on Irish mythology that I'd love to see a Warriors spin-off of.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Twelve by Pies posted:

Arslan Warriors? I don't remember that one but it must have been awful if fuckin' Troy won out over it.

It was way better than Troy which had zero redeeming features

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
The problem with Arslan is that there's nothing there. Just as the story is starting it ends. Literally.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Everyone had a deathly fear of going past where the manga was up to because that's where the anime series turned to poo poo too.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

PureRok posted:

The problem with Arslan is that there's nothing there. Just as the story is starting it ends. Literally.

I vaguely remember seeing some video reviews and the like back when it came out and it seemed like the only reason you would play it is a) you really really loved Arslan and wanted more Arslan content to consume or b) you're an actual maniac who has to play every single Musou game. There were absolutely zero gameplay hooks worth mentioning. It's kind of funny because the Arslan anime is almost like they turned a Musou game into a TV show.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Speaking of musou anime spinoffs, is the Berserk musou game a good introduction to that universe for someone who's never read the manga or watched the anime, or is it better to skip it? Berserk has been in the news lately since the creator died and I'm just now noticing how cool it looks, and I picked up the game in a steam sale at some point, I'm wondering if it does a good job with the story and characters or if I should really just not bother and track down the manga instead (there just seems to be so much of it, is all)

naginalJJ
Feb 10, 2007

Baby, looks like a dance epidemic to me
I'm seeing things I thought I'd never see
Dance epidemic tonight

Ainsley McTree posted:

if I should really just not bother and track down the manga instead (there just seems to be so much of it, is all)

I think you'll actually find there wasn't enough of it.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

Speaking of musou anime spinoffs, is the Berserk musou game a good introduction to that universe for someone who's never read the manga or watched the anime, or is it better to skip it? Berserk has been in the news lately since the creator died and I'm just now noticing how cool it looks, and I picked up the game in a steam sale at some point, I'm wondering if it does a good job with the story and characters or if I should really just not bother and track down the manga instead (there just seems to be so much of it, is all)

Honestly it does a better job than the 2016 anime does at covering the same story, both the game and that version of the show end around the point (neither cover all the manga that was out at that point), it's not a bad way to get into it and then check out the manga when you get the chance.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Oh my loving god the big bosses in Hyrule Warriors are REALLY getting on my nerves.
You just have to sit there with a thumb in your rear end waiting for their attacks cause there's literally nothing you can do to speed up the fight and all of the boss attacks have massive delays between them for no loving reason other than to just waste more of your time and then you also have to hope that it's the correct attack that actually lets you counter attack otherwise. It's literally the worst possible enemy design.

At least with officers you can still do chip damage while your wait for them to open themselves up but with bosses you literally can't do poo poo to speed up the fight.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

The Berserk game kinda owned up until a terrible, terrible boss fight against Griffiths

It doesn't have enough characters to play but it turns out adding gore to Warriors is a pretty cool addition and feels good to trigger your musuo and evaporate a screen full of demons

Arslan was meh but it did have another gimmick: there are points on the map where you gather your forces and do a giant wonderful 101 style charge across the map as a big regiment.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

There was a terrible terrible Musou game called Bladestorm or something which has a cool feature of you collecting some mooks and getting formation attacks with them.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Bladestorm was cool. Not like, great, but it was fun.

I never played Nightmare though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Reive posted:

Honestly it does a better job than the 2016 anime does at covering the same story, both the game and that version of the show end around the point (neither cover all the manga that was out at that point), it's not a bad way to get into it and then check out the manga when you get the chance.

Also, it turned Wyald of all people into a really fun character. Yes, that Wyald.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Jack Trades posted:

Oh my loving god the big bosses in Hyrule Warriors are REALLY getting on my nerves.
You just have to sit there with a thumb in your rear end waiting for their attacks cause there's literally nothing you can do to speed up the fight and all of the boss attacks have massive delays between them for no loving reason other than to just waste more of your time and then you also have to hope that it's the correct attack that actually lets you counter attack otherwise. It's literally the worst possible enemy design.

At least with officers you can still do chip damage while your wait for them to open themselves up but with bosses you literally can't do poo poo to speed up the fight.
If you have a full magic meter you can activate Focus (R IIRC) and then immediately hit A to do your Focus Special which will open a giant boss' weak point (anyone else's too, but you usually don't need the help there). If you're playing Definitive and not the original Wii U version having multiple characters fighting the boss (just order them to the same square) will speed up your magic regeneration and also there are fairy skills that help with magic regeneration and Focus Spirit duration IIRC.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Giant bosses used to be way worse in the Wii U version, and AoC gave you a ton of ways to expose and take advantage of the WPG, so the devs took the criticisms to heart at least.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

The Imprisoned is basically the exclusive reason I think Fire Emblem Warriors is a better game. Even with the improvements from Legends/DE, if a challenge map has The Imprisoned as a major objective, I will literally play a different game. I'd rather fight DWG2 Psycho Gundam.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Commander Keene posted:

If you have a full magic meter you can activate Focus (R IIRC) and then immediately hit A to do your Focus Special which will open a giant boss' weak point (anyone else's too, but you usually don't need the help there). If you're playing Definitive and not the original Wii U version having multiple characters fighting the boss (just order them to the same square) will speed up your magic regeneration and also there are fairy skills that help with magic regeneration and Focus Spirit duration IIRC.

Alacron posted:

Giant bosses used to be way worse in the Wii U version, and AoC gave you a ton of ways to expose and take advantage of the WPG, so the devs took the criticisms to heart at least.

Unfortunately I'm playing the Wii U version and having one magic bar in stock speeds up the process only a little.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Jack Trades posted:

Unfortunately I'm playing the Wii U version and having one magic bar in stock speeds up the process only a little.

My condolences.

Takoluka posted:

The Imprisoned is basically the exclusive reason I think Fire Emblem Warriors is a better game. Even with the improvements from Legends/DE, if a challenge map has The Imprisoned as a major objective, I will literally play a different game. I'd rather fight DWG2 Psycho Gundam.

I categorically do not understand this mindset, The Imprisoned is by far the easiest and least frustrating of the giant bosses to deal with.

Meanwhile Manhandla was the absolute bane of my existence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Is Arslan warriors really that bad? I noticed it's on steam and it looks kinda cool, although I don't know anything about the anime, I'm just judging it based on the aesthetic. I thought I'd pop it on the wishlist and see if it ever went on sale.

Also my big gripe with Hyrule Warriors is that I've spoiled myself by turning link into a supersoldier, and any map that requires me to play as a different character (gently caress you specifically, fi) make me feel really weak and anemic and brings the fun momentum to a screeching halt. I guess I did it to myself, technically, but the game shouldn't have given link a 300-strength weapon as part of the campaign if they didn't want me to use him as a crutch

I wish the maps had "we suggest you be X level to have fun" guidelines or something, I have no real sense of how much I should be leveling the other characters in the dojo to have a fighting chance, and it starts getting prohibitively expensive after level 20 or so it seems.