Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1396015144233222144

e: Because I know people won't bother to click through - for context, this is basically in line with the real-world pre-variant efficacy numbers we've been seeing in the population as a whole, with a mixture of Pfizer and Oxford vaccines. So now it really is just a race to get the jabs in the arms at a faster rate to account for the faster spread of this variant.

Yeah since there is basically 0 uptake of the vaccine in India yet, there wouldn't really be any selective pressure on the virus to develop resistant variants there. It seems more likely to happen as soon as there is a large proportion of vaccinated individuals in an area, but still no herd immunity.

My personal hunch - if it happens, it's gonna be somewhere with lots of vaccinated people and also lots of people who don't protect themselves. With lax protocols for distancing, masking, tracing etc. In other words, somewhere in the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

These are incredibly good numbers, but I wonder how much lower it would have been if people were worried about community transmission instead of... I dunno, it's kind of "gently caress you I got my vaccine" out there right now.

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Yeah since there is basically 0 uptake of the vaccine in India yet, there wouldn't really be any selective pressure on the virus to develop resistant variants there. It seems more likely to happen as soon as there is a large proportion of vaccinated individuals in an area, but still no herd immunity.

My personal hunch - if it happens, it's gonna be somewhere with lots of vaccinated people and also lots of people who don't protect themselves. With lax protocols for distancing, masking, tracing etc. In other words, somewhere in the US.

81% efficiency against a variant, with just the base vaccine alone no booster shots, is great news. Not really sure how you can read that and immediately start hunching about the worst hypothetical outcome.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

bollig posted:

One of my better friends is married to basically a turd of a human. He was boring at best before all this. I'm doomed to see him for the rest of my natural life because I'm godfather to his kid and his wife is legit one of my favorite people. He's been very vocal and skeptical about Covid and poo poo like that. Whatever. Annoying and causing me to shake my head. But whatever. But recently he's been posting pictures with "Impfung macht Frei" (Impfung=vaccine). And then today a yellow 6 sided star with "unimpfed" (unvaccinated) in like Hebrew script. I honestly am at a loss for words about it.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I've seen the impfung macht frei poo poo but holy poo poo doing that star of David poo poo is sinister.

That particular iconography is super popular on anti-vax social media and people bring it to lockdown protests a whole lot

The right thinks it's really clever to co-opt the language and 'arguments' of the left and turn them around and go "Now let's see how YOU like being called a Nazi" and it's always incredibly stupid and cringeworthy.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
whoa thats loving dumb

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Sjs00 posted:

whoa thats loving dumb

Don't make me tap the sign

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There's always more and it's always way more dumber than you could have ever suspected

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

Good numbers, did the article give numbers on the number of people who weren't vaccinated that caught covid in LA county after May 7th? When looking at a number of 0.03%, I want to know what to compare it to.

(Or perhaps they are measuring anyone who was fully vaxxed before May 7th who caught covid after being fully vaxxed, and we'd need to compare.) Because this would give us an idea of the real world efficacy of the vaccine + efficacy of differences in behavior there are in the vaccinated vs non-vaccinated populations.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

TacoNight posted:

Good numbers, did the article give numbers on the number of people who weren't vaccinated that caught covid in LA county after May 7th? When looking at a number of 0.03%, I want to know what to compare it to.

(Or perhaps they are measuring anyone who was fully vaxxed before May 7th who caught covid after being fully vaxxed, and we'd need to compare.) Because this would give us an idea of the real world efficacy of the vaccine + efficacy of differences in behavior there are in the vaccinated vs non-vaccinated populations.

From the article, yes that was fully vaccinated for 0.03%. This includes the effect of any NPI used during the study duration too of course.

The infectivity numbers are interesting compared to this pre-print

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There’s a 0.03% breakthrough rate on bulletproof vests.

Most of them don’t get shot. :v:

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

I know there’s a lot of hand wringing about the vaccinated going maskless outdoors, but numbers like this are incredibly encouraging.

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

That particular iconography is super popular on anti-vax social media and people bring it to lockdown protests a whole lot

The right thinks it's really clever to co-opt the language and 'arguments' of the left and turn them around and go "Now let's see how YOU like being called a Nazi" and it's always incredibly stupid and cringeworthy.

So... should we gas them? Let's gas them.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1396015144233222144

e: Because I know people won't bother to click through - for context, this is basically in line with the real-world pre-variant efficacy numbers we've been seeing in the population as a whole, with a mixture of Pfizer and Oxford vaccines. So now it really is just a race to get the jabs in the arms at a faster rate to account for the faster spread of this variant.

For months they’ve been saying that it didn’t look like it was particularly resistant to the immune response from the vaccine but having hard numbers on it is fantastic. I wouldn’t be incredibly shocked if it wasn’t really particularly deadlier, either, given that India is basically perfectly set up for secondary infections to be doing most of the killing.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
India check in: conditions are still incredibly loving bad and massively underrported

https://twitter.com/DilliDurAst/status/1395046689514266625
https://twitter.com/BDUTT/status/1395586943266680833

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Purgatory Glory posted:

So... should we gas them? Let's gas them.

:ohdear: with vaccines?

India's reporting is absolutely terrifying because nobody seems to know what the gently caress is going on. It doesn't seem like a cover up. It just seems scattered. And that usually means some break down somewhere within the info line. I really, really hope poo poo gets better for them over there.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

India's reporting is absolutely terrifying because nobody seems to know what the gently caress is going on. It doesn't seem like a cover up. It just seems scattered. And that usually means some break down somewhere within the info line. I really, really hope poo poo gets better for them over there.

It's absolutely a cover up, the Modi administration is making Twitter take down journalists' tweets about stuff like the oxygen shortages in hospitals
https://www.cnn.com/videos/world/2021/04/28/coronavirus-india-modi-twitter-ayyub-intv-keilar-newday-intl-ldn-vpx.cnn

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I'm sure some countries don't have the resources and are missing deaths because they just can't cope. Hell some countries can't even report their deaths properly under normal circumstances. India might have some of that going on, but they are almost certainly covering it up too since their government had basically declared the pandemic over BEFORE all this started and actively wants to pretend they were right or at least less wrong than they really are.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

In 2023 we're gonna get a koyaanisqatsi style documentary about this kinda poo poo aren't we?

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Oh you like racoons? Name three of their songs. You dope.

Blitter posted:

From the article, yes that was fully vaccinated for 0.03%. This includes the effect of any NPI used during the study duration too of course.

The infectivity numbers are interesting compared to this pre-print

I'm reading this as J&J and AZ vaccinated people won't get infected, but if they do they can still pass it pretty well. Won't that cause selective pressure for the vaccine to mutate?

Also Moderna and Pfizer numbers might be inflated due to lack of blinding and randomization.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
i'm officially fully vaccinated today.

it might be cool to see how effective this vaccine is, compared to others like tdap, mmr, etc. might help to be able to really visualize how effective the covid vaccine is. would that work? idk

i'd be lying if i said i wasn't still a little bit worried about breakthrough cases, being the unlucky bastard i am, but i guess covid is just one of those things we'll be dealing with until we're dead

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

compshateme85 posted:

Also Moderna and Pfizer numbers might be inflated due to lack of blinding and randomization.

For what it's worth, the lack of blinding and randomization could also be deflating their numbers. It just hurts their accuracy overall.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Yet if I break that guy's nose I'm the bad guy...

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
that vaccine nazi poo poo is loving awful. jfc nothing is worse than entitled white people

pro starcraft loser posted:

Yet if I break that guy's nose I'm the bad guy...

here's hoping someone else will do it so we don't have to

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Lockdown protesters were super excited that they get to bust out some swastikas and sieg heils

Here's a lockdown protester in Australia throwin the ol' Roman salute in front of our War Memorial

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

nishi koichi posted:

that vaccine nazi poo poo is loving awful. jfc nothing is worse than entitled white people

here's hoping someone else will do it so we don't have to

I've had to explain to a number of people how, 'Yes, I'd be extremely upset if the US Federal or State government prevented these or other people from practicing free speech.....but I will still laugh when they get absolutely hosed up by non-crazies'

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005
Just got my pfizer, smooth experience. Sudden urge to purchase winrar though.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Purgatory Glory posted:

purchase winrar

WTF!? Mods????

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

These are incredibly good numbers, but I wonder how much lower it would have been if people were worried about community transmission instead of... I dunno, it's kind of "gently caress you I got my vaccine" out there right now.

So it's the best possible loving news but you're wondering about I don't know negative numbers

.000000000000001??? Maybe that

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

I'll take my probe I don't give a gently caress

I am so tired of the negative spin on the rare best possible loving news that we get

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The NHS app works really well as a covid passport ID thing.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Spinz posted:

So it's the best possible loving news but you're wondering about I don't know negative numbers

.000000000000001??? Maybe that

They're doing the thing where they set the whole vaccinated population in relation to the break out cases. It's misleading or ineptly reported, which I think is a poor approach to public health messaging.

I linked recent graphs of infectivity and infection risk upthread.

If the reported number of 0.03% breakthrough was a valid assessment the vaccines would be likely regarded as sterilizing, which they are not.

I don't mean to be a downer and the numbers are good, but with the way they're portrayed it is easy to worry that people will underestimate the collective risk.

Blitter fucked around with this message at 18:53 on May 22, 2021

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

We had half a million at the very minimum die

India is on fire

Being anything but extremely grateful for safety of those who are vaccinated in the US is heinous. Hand wringing over a tiny bit of breakthrough cases just feels wrong to me. It's sad on an individual level but the focus should be on trying to get the ignorant vaccinated and now saving millions if not billions in the rest of the world.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

D20 posters have some opinions about misleading reporting

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Here's a lockdown protester in Australia throwin the ol' Roman salute in front of our War Memorial

truely the chiseled figure of an ubermensch

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Vorik posted:

81% efficiency against a variant, with just the base vaccine alone no booster shots, is great news. Not really sure how you can read that and immediately start hunching about the worst hypothetical outcome.

Eh I don't see what I wrote that you could interpret as "immediately start hunching about the worst hypothetical outcome".
I wrote that I didn't see any cause for alarm about the Indian variant in particular, because there is not any real reason to believe it should defeat vaccines. Those who have baselessly speculating that it would be vaccine resistant are the ones who have been "hunching", if you ask me.

"The worst possible outcome" might indeed be a resistant strain of the virus, but we're not seeing that happen yet, is my point. And if it does, it will come from a partially-vaccinated nation. Maybe the worst possible outcome woul be a spiralling-out-of-control outbreak in South Asia where millions of people die, setting a developing nation back decades economically and socially? Maybe it's something else? We'll see.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Spinz posted:

I'll take my probe I don't give a gently caress

I am so tired of the negative spin on the rare best possible loving news that we get

I think you misunderstood what I posted. What I said was: I wonder how much lower it would be if people would stop this bullshit entitlement complex everybody suddenly seems to have.

I am glad the numbers are great. I even said that. I'm so happy about that. But I hate the hosed up entitlement of "I'm vaccinated so gently caress everyone around me" that seems to be suddenly so prevalent.

My whole point is that it isn't the best possible news because people are too worried about "getting back to normal!" instead of smashing this poo poo as hard as we can. We have the upper edge, finally, with the vaccine backing us. And it feels like we're squandering it.

That and the CDC not tracking at-home infections of the vaccinated is lovely. Just because you don't end up hospitalized or dead doesn't mean you shouldn't count. That data is important and they are absolutely ignoring it. Don't be upset because I want the numbers that are good to be better, because you yourself have said you want the same thing. We agree on this poo poo.

It's absolutely a cover up, the Modi administration is making Twitter take down journalists' tweets about stuff like the oxygen shortages in hospitals
https://www.cnn.com/videos/world/2021/04/28/coronavirus-india-modi-twitter-ayyub-intv-keilar-newday-intl-ldn-vpx.cnn

well, gently caress.

This kind of poo poo doesn't help, either. I don't get why the entire world wouldn't be going poo poo wild trying to destroy this thing instead of going "NO REALLY THERE WERE ONLY 75 BODIES" as a whole drat semi pulls past full of corpses, or whatever (for those about to yell at me, this isn't exact data I'm just making generalisms, I don't even know if India has semi trucks like we do in the US, okay?).

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005
Happy the vaccine effectiveness looking good. And we will always need worry-warts, they'll be the first to keep things in check and find alternatives. Its the misinformers we gotta fight against.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I am glad the numbers are great. I even said that. I'm so happy about that. But I hate the hosed up entitlement of "I'm vaccinated so gently caress everyone around me" that seems to be suddenly so prevalent.
This attitude is really not a problem in comparison to the actual issue of "I'm unvaccinated and gently caress everyone around me."

Mush Mushi
Sep 9, 2007

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

That and the CDC not tracking at-home infections of the vaccinated is lovely. Just because you don't end up hospitalized or dead doesn't mean you shouldn't count. That data is important and they are absolutely ignoring it. Don't be upset because I want the numbers that are good to be better, because you yourself have said you want the same thing.

Honest question, why does this data matter? I couldn’t care less if someone is vaccinated and catches an asymptomatic or mild case. I’ve only seen this type of reporting used to confuse people about how well the vaccines work.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Got my second moderna tuesday. No side effects except slightly sore arm. I kinda expected that: With small kids back in school my body is always coursing with antibodies to deal with zillions of different germs inside me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Mush Mushi posted:

Honest question, why does this data matter? I couldn’t care less if someone is vaccinated and catches an asymptomatic or mild case. I’ve only seen this type of reporting used to confuse people about how well the vaccines work.

Asymptomatic infections have caused long-term problems (cardio, blood clots, etc) in covid patients and though that percentage is small, it's still there. Same goes for vaccinated people who just end up sick for a little bit or are asymptomatic; or that was what was assumed, anyhow. Obviously we're too early on into this (we haven't even been vaccinating for a year yet) and covid is too new to know for sure, but it makes logical sense and there was some coverage about it until "we're open now!" happened recently.

Plus, it falsely deflates the number of breakthrough cases making the vaccines look better than they are. They are absolutely amazing, but if there's 0.7% hospitalization breakthrough and, I don't know, one of the variants manages to start a 3-4% breakthrough that doesn't include hospitalization, we should be aware of that. It could impact populations very quickly, much like the original version here did. And we're ignoring it.

I'm not saying that will happen, but I am saying that not monitoring all breakthrough cases seems incredibly irresponsible in these very early days. They make up a very small percentage and that is wonderful. Excluding any of them is a bad idea.

E: I don't even necessarily care if the numbers are public but they aren't tracking non-hospitalized breakthroughs at all, according to the CDC. That just seems like a super bad idea.

Scarodactyl posted:

This attitude is really not a problem in comparison to the actual issue of "I'm unvaccinated and gently caress everyone around me."

Well, it is. But I will absolutely agree the second one is a much greater concern.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 21:18 on May 22, 2021