Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
I got the BCE last month and the Gold this month. I just checked and I’m getting the pre approval for the plat and the Delta Gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Cicero posted:

I got another Amex approved tonight, the Hilton one.

I haven't actually thought to call or check for what the denials said. I guess I assumed there wouldn't be useful information there, but that's a good idea.

My CreditWise score is showing as 798. I know it's not the exact same as the official credit scores, but it shouldn't be too far off, right?

Order was (two batches, the second I just did)

Gotcha, thanks!

Hmm, now that I just got two Amexes, isn't that some kind of limit for them? I feel like I read that somewhere.

Call them all and find out (and know why card X, for a reason other than churning the sign-ups bonus). At the very least, the denial letters will list actual scores.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

im on the net me boys posted:

You also get other goodies like a $200 home furnishing credit so the annual fee is very worth it.

Would you normally be buying $200+ in home furnishings every year?

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Does anyone know with certainty whether the new Chase rules about "cash-like transactions" being cash advances applies to funding bank accounts with the card? Because I may need to do that to pull off the $5k spending requirement on the Southwest Performance Business in order to get the Companion Pass.

E: gently caress it, I'm going for it anyway. Wish me luck!

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 01:07 on May 16, 2021

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Unsinkabear posted:

The Joneses definitely do. Are you suggesting we allow there to be a home furnishings gap? There must not be a home furnishings gap.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Unsinkabear posted:

It’s a one time deal. I should have specified

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Also for the gold, typically you only get the higher points amount if you use someone’s code.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
the sofi card is cool and im enjoying collecting my gems for it. they sent me a letter that had my PIN in it and explained why i might need it, which was nice of them to do and i dont think any other cc comapny has done this or maybe i just dont open my mail, which is true. BUT. in the letter every apostrophe mark was turned into the Æ symbol due to what i can only assume is a busted printer driver or something lol. which does not exactly inspire much confidence. perhaps i should be wary of transferring my entire money to their startup bank...

e: lol https://stackoverflow.com/questions/8995507/printf-apostrophe-is-replaced-by-%C3%86-in-c

quote:

The single-byte character ’, with value 0x92, will display differently on different systems depending on the codepage currently in effect.

Code page 437 (common in the US) displays a Æ character for this value.

Other codepages, like codepage 1252 (Western European), display ’.

quote:

There are two different characters used for the apostrophe. The first ' is part of the ASCII character set that is at the base of all modern character sets, and is the same in all of them. The second ’ is an extended character that is not part of the base, and is subject to different interpretations depending on your character set or code page. The character Æ is at position 0x00c6 in the Windows-1252 encoding.

Smythe fucked around with this message at 05:28 on May 17, 2021

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Text encodings are fun.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i got the tim apple card now. very excite for it. =D

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Smythe posted:

i got the tim apple card now. very excite for it. =D

The cash back on that one is given to you as soon as your transactions clear so it’s one of my favorites

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Doesn't that only give 2% if you're able to pay through Apple Pay, w/ 3% only on Apple products and everything else is the entry-level 1% that you could get anywhere? What's the benefit to that?

Got approved for the 80k Southwest Performance Business offer and also got a 40k email offer for the personal version right afterward (didn't take advantage yet, but I plan to once the business SUB is done). Between those two, I'm pretty much a shoe-in for the SW Companion Pass this year! :toot:

I know starting it next January would theoretically have been more optimal, but I've got at least one trip coming up this fall that I know I can use the pass on, and who knows what next year or the year after will bring. Bird in hand, two in bush, etc. Hoping that by the time this Pass expires, my partner's credit should be fleshed-out enough to do it on hers next.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 19:06 on May 19, 2021

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Unsinkabear posted:

Doesn't that only give 2% if you're able to pay through Apple Pay, w/ 3% only on Apple products and everything else is the entry-level 1% that you could get anywhere? What's the benefit to that?

The idea is that you’re primarily going to be using Apple Pay and getting that 2%. For me, 98% of my transactions are with Apple Pay, so it’s a good card for me to get cash back when I don’t have a better card for a category. It also gives that cash back very quickly and you don’t have to hit a minimum to use it.
You also get 0 interest financing on products from Apple, which I’ve used and find helpful.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Not sure if this is universal, but I just got an email saying that the Capital One SavorOne card is now giving 3% on streaming services and grocery stores in addition to 3% on dining.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

im on the net me boys posted:

The idea is that you’re primarily going to be using Apple Pay and getting that 2%. For me, 98% of my transactions are with Apple Pay, so it’s a good card for me to get cash back when I don’t have a better card for a category. It also gives that cash back very quickly and you don’t have to hit a minimum to use it.
You also get 0 interest financing on products from Apple, which I’ve used and find helpful.

Other cards give you that 2% (or more) back without requiring you to always use apple pay to get them, and some of them even provide actual benefits (extended warranty, cell phone protection, etc.).

Apple card's selling points are largely just the apple-specific stuff. Personally, I don't have one, but I spend very little at Apple to benefit from that financing and also spend very little at the handful of other places it offers 3% for. If someone would benefit from the financing stuff, I would recommend it, but not because of the 2% cash back which should be more or less baseline for people at this point.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

E: Too many :words:, I agree with the above

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 23:18 on May 19, 2021

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

astral posted:

Other cards give you that 2% (or more) back without requiring you to always use apple pay to get them, and some of them even provide actual benefits (extended warranty, cell phone protection, etc.).

Apple card's selling points are largely just the apple-specific stuff. Personally, I don't have one, but I spend very little at Apple to benefit from that financing and also spend very little at the handful of other places it offers 3% for. If someone would benefit from the financing stuff, I would recommend it, but not because of the 2% cash back which should be more or less baseline for people at this point.

its heavy which is cool, op. very simple.

I don't think its a very good card in general though lol

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

I spend a not insignificant amount on Apple products and services so it works out well for me. But most of my spending does go on my Amex in the end.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Still happily getting 5.25% (3% multiplied by 1.75x for the "relationship bonus") back in cash on all online purchases with my no-fee BoA card. Pretty hard to beat!

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 02:22 on May 20, 2021

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Part of the Apple Card “no fees” thing is no foreign transaction fees, which I think it still unusual for a free card.

In general, I think it’s a good free card if you usually use Apple Pay, which is pretty common now. We use CSR for restaurant and travel (4.5% back), Chase Amazon for Amazon and Whole Foods (5% back) and then Apple Card for most of the rest (2% back). Biggest issue is that I probably use the CSR more than I should for things have no bonus and only earn 1.5%.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Discover also has no foreign transaction fee, so if you go to a country where it’s widely accepted (for example, in Japan it runs through the JCB network) it can work well.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Capital One's thing is that they have no foreign transaction fees for any of their cards including the free ones

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

smackfu posted:

Part of the Apple Card “no fees” thing is no foreign transaction fees, which I think it still unusual for a free card.

In general, I think it’s a good free card if you usually use Apple Pay, which is pretty common now. We use CSR for restaurant and travel (4.5% back), Chase Amazon for Amazon and Whole Foods (5% back) and then Apple Card for most of the rest (2% back). Biggest issue is that I probably use the CSR more than I should for things have no bonus and only earn 1.5%.

No, that is not rare anymore and it is not a good free card. If you have it and you're happy with it, then I'm happy for you, but let's not let that color the advice we give to others who may be lurking the thread for recommendations. PenFed and SDFCU have no-foreign-fee, 2%-on-everything Visas that are incredibly easy to get, and those are just my two favorites among many. That's not a value-add in YOOL 2021.

Don't get the Apple card unless you need the financing or own a business that is purchasing a high-value apple product once every couple of months. Even for the most hardcore of Apple fanboys who are buying the newest, most expensive iPhone every year (most people upgrade their phone and laptop every three or so, but will also buy other apple products so let's just arbitrarily say $1500/year), the difference between 2% and 3% of that is $15 cash back. Fifteen. Dollars. Per year. That's not worth it.

E: If you want to earn passive cash back rather than sign up bonuses, in my subjective opinion the best way to do that right now is to get that simple 3% card from AODFCU if you can (likely yes), a 2% card if you can't, and then only bother with cards that are limited to specific categories if they're actually rewarding you enough at the end of the year to make it worth your time (do your own math on what you actually spend because YMMV, but ime that starts to happen around 5% for most categories). Like I use the 3% restaurants category on my Freedom Unlimited, because I already have one from when I was maximizing UR points to use via my CSR back in the day (don't do this either, I didn't know better at the time)... but I only bother because we waste more money on food per year than anyone does on Apple products, and I would still never go out of my way to get that card today.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 19:02 on May 22, 2021

astral
Apr 26, 2004

US Bank's Altitude Go also is no annual fee and no FTF. 4x on takeout/dining, 2x grocery/streaming/gas, $15 credit for a streaming service after 11 paid months of streaming services. Nice option if you don't have a CSR or Amex Gold or otherwise aren't interested or invested in those point systems.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

astral posted:

US Bank's Altitude Go also is no annual fee and no FTF. 4x on takeout/dining, 2x grocery/streaming/gas, $15 credit for a streaming service after 11 paid months of streaming services. Nice option if you don't have a CSR or Amex Gold or otherwise aren't interested or invested in those point systems.

It also has a pretty decent sign-up bonus! Best of both worlds.

Does it preclude you from getting the Altitude Reserve later, though, like how you can only get one Sapphire from Chase? I couldn't find any info on it so I assume the answer is no, but I worry that they may add this rule in later, as Chase did. It would suck to open the Go as your way to begin a business relationship with them and qualify for the Reserve, only to then have the hammer dropped.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Unsinkabear posted:

It also has a pretty decent sign-up bonus! Best of both worlds.

Does it preclude you from getting the Altitude Reserve later, though, like how you can only get one Sapphire from Chase? I couldn't find any info on it so I assume the answer is no, but I worry that they may add this rule in later, as Chase did. It would suck to open the Go as your way to begin a business relationship with them and qualify for the Reserve, only to then have the hammer dropped.

When the reward structure for them isn't set up so the no-AF and the higher-AF cards have the same categories, but different amounts in them, I think it would be weird for them to prevent you from getting the bonus on the higher-AF card later. In fact, the Go could be a good way to start a relationship with US Bank, since the Connect and Reserve cards require one.

Having any of their credit cards (including the Cash+ for 5% back on your two chosen categories, such as utilities and internet/tv e.g. cable/streaming) also qualifies you for waived fees on their Gold checking account, so if you're also interested in getting a checking bonus offer make sure to keep your eyes out for a good one (up to $400).

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

astral posted:

When the reward structure for them isn't set up so the no-AF and the higher-AF cards have the same categories, but different amounts in them, I think it would be weird for them to prevent you from getting the bonus on the higher-AF card later. In fact, the Go could be a good way to start a relationship with US Bank, since the Connect and Reserve cards require one.

Having any of their credit cards (including the Cash+ for 5% back on your two chosen categories, such as utilities and internet/tv e.g. cable/streaming) also qualifies you for waived fees on their Gold checking account, so if you're also interested in getting a checking bonus offer make sure to keep your eyes out for a good one (up to $400).

That's a good point, and thanks for the checking bonus tip. I'll keep an eye out once I'm in their system.

I think I'll grab the Cash+ as my entry point, once I'm done with the Companion Pass and CSP dance and don't have to worry about 5/24 for a bit. None of the 5% categories are particularly high spends for me, but they're still categories I don't already have something for and many of them are set-and-forget bills where you don't have to remember which card to use to get the bonus. My favorite kind!

But the Altitude Go definitely seems like the ideal starting point for anyone who shares my delivery/restaurant problem and doesn't already have a lesser version (Freedom Flex/FreedomUnlimited/SavorOne) in their wallet.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 20:15 on May 22, 2021

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Anyone have car rental repair covered by Amex platinum?

Asking for my wife. :negative:

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

Anyone have car rental repair covered by Amex platinum?

Asking for my wife. :negative:

Chase completely covered my rental accident when I used my CSP to book the car. I don’t know how it would work with Amex, but hopefully the same.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Cacafuego posted:

Chase completely covered my rental accident when I used my CSP to book the car. I don’t know how it would work with Amex, but hopefully the same.

Welp, unfortunately Amex Platinum is secondary insurance only.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

So is chase, but they covered it anyway for some reason. :shrug:

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Residency Evil posted:

That just means that they will only cover it if you skipped the agency's insurance and/or if your regular car insurance doesn't also cover rentals, right?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Cacafuego posted:

I think CSR is specifically primary insurance, ie, they go first.

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

That just means that they will only cover it if you skipped the agency's insurance and/or if your regular car insurance doesn't also cover rentals, right?

Yes, I think that's correct.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Cacafuego posted:

Chase's rental car insurance on the CSP and CSR is explicitly called out as primary in their benefits book. It's one of the nicer benefits of the cards, although there are still some things it doesn't cover (the biggest one is tire damage, which some rental locations treat as a normal expense that they're willing to eat, and some are absolute jerks about).

Amex offers primary insurance as well, but only as a "premium rental car protection" add-on. It's priced at $20-25 per rental (not per day) so it's a lot cheaper than the rental company option for anything over a single day. The nice thing is that it's available on pretty much all Amex cards, even the no-AF ones. If you really want primary rental coverage but only rent a car outside employer insurance a few times per year, it's a better deal than a high-AF card.

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Skipping the rental company insurance/damage waiver option is pretty much always required, even with primary coverage through a CC.

Secondary coverage will usually cover everything your primary policy doesn't (read the pamphlet etc etc, this is a general rule). So, if you smash up a rental car and do $10,000 worth of damage, and your regular collision policy has a $1,000 deductible, then your regular insurance pays $9,000 and your credit card coverage kicks in the other $1,000. Net cost to you is zero dollars, but your personal insurance is going to reflect that accident.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Space Gopher posted:

Secondary coverage will usually cover everything your primary policy doesn't (read the pamphlet etc etc, this is a general rule). So, if you smash up a rental car and do $10,000 worth of damage, and your regular collision policy has a $1,000 deductible, then your regular insurance pays $9,000 and your credit card coverage kicks in the other $1,000. Net cost to you is zero dollars, but your personal insurance is going to reflect that accident.

Oh nice, I didn't realize this was the case.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, sorry, that's what I meant to point, that it being "secondary insurance" should only be an issue if you already had other insurance.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Space Gopher posted:

Chase's rental car insurance on the CSP and CSR is explicitly called out as primary in their benefits book. It's one of the nicer benefits of the cards, although there are still some things it doesn't cover (the biggest one is tire damage, which some rental locations treat as a normal expense that they're willing to eat, and some are absolute jerks about).

I have the CSP and At the time of the accident I read the information I found online, including the official Chase benefits guide (https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphire) which says:

quote:

Within your country of residence, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver is secondary coverage which means it supplements, and applies in excess of, any valid and collectible insurance or reimbursement from any source.

and

quote:

If You do have personal automobile insurance or other insurance that covers theft or damage, this benefit reimburses You for the deductible portion of Your car insurance or other insurance, along with any unreimbursed portion of administrative and loss-of-use charges imposed by the car rental company, as well as reasonable towing charges while the car was Your responsibility.

Everything I can find specifically says it's secondary coverage to your own insurance, which was why I was surprised when they took care of the entire thing. I fully expected to pay my deductible and Chase would take care of the rest, but they took care of the whole thing.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Cacafuego posted:

I have the CSP and At the time of the accident I read the information I found online, including the official Chase benefits guide (https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphire) which says:
and
Everything I can find specifically says it's secondary coverage to your own insurance, which was why I was surprised when they took care of the entire thing. I fully expected to pay my deductible and Chase would take care of the rest, but they took care of the whole thing.

That link is for the “Chase Sapphire” card. The CSP is the “Chase Sapphire Preferred,” which is a different product with higher fees and more benefits.

You can read the guide to benefits for your card here: https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirepreferred

quote:

Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver
The Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver benefit provides reimbursement for damages caused by theft or collision up to the Actual Cash Value of most rented cars. The Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver acts as primary coverage and covers theft, damage, valid loss-of-use charges imposed and substantiated by the auto rental company, administrative fees, and reasonable and customary towing charges (due to a covered theft or damage) to the nearest qualified repair facility.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Space Gopher posted:

That link is for the “Chase Sapphire” card. The CSP is the “Chase Sapphire Preferred,” which is a different product with higher fees and more benefits.

You can read the guide to benefits for your card here: https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirepreferred

Bahaha, wow, was I wrong. You're absolutely correct! I guess I wasn't just lucky and that's a normal thing :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Unsinkabear posted:

If you search AODFCU's list of "select employer groups" who can join despite not being in their area, you'll see a Northeast Alabama Bicycle Association. Go to their website, click the button to join them, and it will send you to a third website where you can join the International Mountain Biking Association as a member of the Northeast Alabama Bicycle Association chapter (if you click through from their website that I linked above it will prefill this part for you). If you switch it to a monthly membership, the lowest rate you can join at is $5. Get that proof of membership and maintain it at least through the application process, and then whether you continue it from there is up to you.

No, I don't know how people ferreted that out from among the actual hundreds of affiliate groups listed with AODFCU. I haven't applied yet because my 2% card from PenFed is almost as good and I can't rationalize the 5/24 slot, so I'm eager to hear how it goes for you! I imagine that being ta'veren will make the approval process pretty straightforward.

Well it took some doing but we got approved with no issue. AODFCU seems like a pretty nice little financial outfit, so we might even be able to put that membership to good use for some other services we'll have a need of in the near future.

Appreciate all the help!