Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Blah, the drift on my left stick on my PowerA controller has gotten bad enough that it's starting to frustrate me, when my character started running down the screen by himself while I was playing Dark Alliance today. I've had it about three months which sucks even though I basically got it for free using a Christmas gift card, I didn't expect it to go bad this quickly. Now I have to figure out if I want to buy an actual Pro controller, or just use the joycons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Just dump a gallon of WD-40 into it. Should solve it for a month or two. Then just repeat until you run out of WD-40.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I never played Halo, unsurprisingly, are they just the best FPS, or really that good of games? What makes them work so well? It's not a genre I'm all that into, though I've had fun with some iterations.

Yeah, to go along with the other reply, in short they are just really, really solid FPS games, plus you've got multiplayer that really popularized console-based LAN parties back in the day. Why bring your entire desktop PC when your (equally-heavy) OG Xbox console would suffice? They took something like that and made it easy and rewarding.

Aside from having an NES, I was a PC gamer for years and years growing up. I never hosted a PC LAN party. I've hosted 5 Halo LAN parties.

Me: "Ok, you 4 get the big tv in the living room, you two get the smaller one that we've put into the hallway, and Jeff, you can use my tv in my room."

Jeff: "Sweet!"

Me: "Jeff, the tv is 13", which is smaller than 1/4" of the big tv. I'm sorry."

Jeff: "Well, at least there won't be any screen-lookers." :colbert:

Edit: Subnautica-related, this is the locker where I keep all of my rocks.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 11:32 on May 22, 2021

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Yeah obviously its strongly tinged by nostalgia but OG Halo was some of the best gaming times I've ever had. Playing it co-op legendary with my best friend at school was endless fun, and then going down the street to his friend's house with 4 TVs, Xboxes and 16 excitable teenagers haphazardly arranged around his living room was mindblowing for the time.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

https://twitter.com/Crosish/status/1396045992034721794?s=20

Just utterly astounding. Months after Versus Evil finally patched Pillars of Eternity and ended up breaking the ranger class in the process (leading to them officially abandoning the port), they actually went back and put out another patch to fix rangers... but then somehow made it so all character models are colorless :confused:

404notfound fucked around with this message at 12:47 on May 22, 2021

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I never played Halo, unsurprisingly, are they just the best FPS, or really that good of games? What makes them work so well? It's not a genre I'm all that into, though I've had fun with some iterations.

They're fine and then the series shits the bed when another company takes over

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

This is done insanely well. Holy poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDPRwLlpdTU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The little touch of Links reflection was great

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Playing MCC again on my PC, Halo 1 is actually the best story of the lot because it's the purest form of a very loud and bright neon tribute to films like Aliens and Starship Troopers. Crucially the original game finished development before 9/11 happened; every successive version gets more grandiose and self-serious, and by the time you get to Reach it's full-on war on terror in a dusty landscape against suicide bombers. I didn't even want to find out what happens in 5 after watching the trailer where a bunch of spartans slide weightlessly across the snow while loving Muse plays over the top.

Butterfly Valley posted:

Yeah obviously its strongly tinged by nostalgia but OG Halo was some of the best gaming times I've ever had. Playing it co-op legendary with my best friend at school was endless fun, and then going down the street to his friend's house with 4 TVs, Xboxes and 16 excitable teenagers haphazardly arranged around his living room was mindblowing for the time.

LAN Halo was absolutely revolutionary, I used to work in a hotel in the middle of nowhere so they provided staff accommodation for late shifts/early starters, and the main common room had multiple linked Xboxes set up with a league table on a whiteboard for the different teams like top kitchen, clubhouse, golf shop, etc. People who'd never touched a game before were getting stuck right into it. One night one of the chefs lost it big time after a bad defeat and cracked someone on the other team over the head with one of the old massive controllers. Magical.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Halo has very convincing AI as well, so the same fights play out differently every time.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
There are 999 things to collect in Mario Odyssey?? What the gently caress happened to 120

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Alec Eiffel posted:

There are 999 things to collect in Mario Odyssey?? What the gently caress happened to 120

120 is so 25 years ago.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Alec Eiffel posted:

Kids are smarter now.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Unlike previous 3D Marios, Odyssey is a genuine collectathon with Moons just scattered around on top of ones connected to actual platforming challenges or story progression. There's small rewards for 100%ing it, but you get the major endgame rewards long before that.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

You can hit credits after like 120 some moons though

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Alec Eiffel posted:

There are only 800-something, but in the post game you can spend coins to increment the counter up to 999 for a couple very minor cosmetic rewards if you really want to.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

get 500, beat the final level, call it a day.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

wuggles posted:

get 500, beat the final level, call it a day.

Yeah the only significant thing they lock off is this, so don't feel like you have to get them ALL

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
It’s fun to get them all anyway, nothing like the Korok seed stuff

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Getting all the regular moons was fun, grinding coins to buy the other 100+ was not fun.

I guess there were a few moons that weren’t much fun like jump rope and beach volleyball and the darker side of the moon but that’s only a few.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Just got Katamari on sale. Never played it, hope it's good!

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Twelve by Pies posted:

Blah, the drift on my left stick on my PowerA controller has gotten bad enough that it's starting to frustrate me, when my character started running down the screen by himself while I was playing Dark Alliance today. I've had it about three months which sucks even though I basically got it for free using a Christmas gift card, I didn't expect it to go bad this quickly. Now I have to figure out if I want to buy an actual Pro controller, or just use the joycons.

I got an SN30 Pro+ and have never looked back.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

C'MAAAWWWWWWWN EVERYBODY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwmDUVxBxA0

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Alan_Shore posted:

The soundtrack is among one of the best of all time if nothing else (the game is actually a blast too).

I could use more Katamari on this system.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Butterfly Valley posted:

I worked IT support in college and we definitely supported a LOT of Halo tournaments in big conference rooms where the final match was played on a 60' projection screen.

I mean, at the time I was too cool for Halo because all of the guys who played it were bros who didn't like me anyway but looking back those bros looked like they had a lot of fun.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

I remember using that Gamespy tunneling software to play Halo 1 online. OG Xbox :allears:

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

100YrsofAttitude posted:

The soundtrack is among one of the best of all time if nothing else (the game is actually a blast too).

I could use more Katamari on this system.

I'm seriously baffled at how they launched Katamari years ago and there's no hint of a rerelease for We Love Katamari.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Though it's probably never going to get a Switch release, given that we don't even have We Love Katamari for it, I will always be happy that Katamari Forever combined my favorite music tracks from the first two Katamari games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0KzYztRZiw

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

Social Animal posted:

I remember using that Gamespy tunneling software to play Halo 1 online. OG Xbox :allears:

Ahh yeah XBConnect was fun times. That's where I learned how to glitch out of blood gulch and wowed my friends at the next lan.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

:eyepop: :popeye: :eyepop:

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Lmao this is extremely good.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Base building and planning in Subnautica is so loving addictive, holy poo poo.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

After playing Dark Alliance a bit more, it seems that items on the ground turn invisible whenever the game has to reload the area. This can be after a death, or if you go to another area and come back.

This is exceptionally frustrating in the last level, the Onyx Tower, where there's no shops and so you're wholly dependent on the healing/rejuvenation potions and arrows in barrels and pots, if you're at full carrying capacity and break a barrel and leave it for later, you'd better remember where it's at because you won't be able to see them if you die or head to the next level and try to come back to grab them later. You can at least try to avoid breaking things until you absolutely need to, but it's still a problem.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Is the Bioshock collection a good set of ports for someone who somehow never played any of them?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Huxley posted:

Is the Bioshock collection a good set of ports for someone who somehow never played any of them?

They're obviously way better on ps/pc/xbox, but if none of those are an option you should still play them on switch. There's a reason they have glowing reputations.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Huxley posted:

I played through 1 and 3 recently and technically they’re great ports. Narratively i preferred the first game, the third dragged a bit in the end but I still enjoyed both of them. Worth the money.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

This is worth watching. Did not expect that ending.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

What’s the final verdict of Snowrunner on Switch? I had mudrunner on Steam and had good fun. Haven’t got the sequel yet and having in portable on Switch is tempting.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

I stumbled on this a few weeks ago and was gobsmacked at the production values. Pity that the coming B&B revival will probably be rubbish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

I will always watch this in full whenever it is posted. Such a treat.