Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
theres also a ton of people with pro BLM and LGTBQ in their profiles that defend the actions of the IDF, and dont consider palestinians as people, so it really isnt a good indicator of being "good" imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
yeah but Israel has been trying to smear Waters as an anti Semite for like 15 years now so he's just good across the board

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Agrajag posted:

theres also a ton of people with pro BLM and LGTBQ in their profiles that defend the actions of the IDF, and dont consider palestinians as people, so it really isnt a good indicator of being "good" imo

most people who flaunt that identity (I love BLM and LGTBQ!) tend to be be your rich liberal types.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

etalian posted:

most people who flaunt that identity (I love BLM and LGTBQ!) tend to be be your rich liberal types.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Agrajag posted:

i always find it weird that the media, in the west at least, always frames the people fighting against occupation forces and brutal oppression as terrorists and cowards

like during the invasion of iraq somehow the people fighting against the invaders (amerca) somehow became the bad guys, the insurgents, the "cowards". not talking about isis here fyi

whenever i saw news coverage of the invasion id would always think about if it happened here, where a vastly more powerful country invaded us, we'd be calling the people fighting back patriots and poo poo

in short our media is incredibly depraved and garbage

We spend billions of dollars every year to have state of the art militaries, so you're a "coward" if you don't line up in a field to get obliterated fair & square. What we really resent is that resistance and liberation movements won't make it easy for imperialists. Colonizers ultimately respect the rebellions where their leaders were foolish enough to do conventional instead of asymmetric warfare, like when the Mahdi in Sudan got tens of thousands of his followers mowed down by British repeating rifles & machineguns at Omdurman. One of the Mahadists was even wearing chain mail. How precious.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

oxsnard posted:

"is this the life we really want?" is a loving incredible album btw, you should listen

thanks I'm gonna check it out

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

fun little paragraph from a recent article about the latest attacks

quote:

Ramzy Salah, a little further afield in the same area, has also had his house, which he shared with five brothers and their families, destroyed by an Israeli attack.

- First we got a "roof knock" rocket from a drone, but we did not hear it. Luckily a neighbor saw it and called us, so we got out. Seven minutes later a missile arrived that destroyed our house.

The 43-year-old has no idea how to rebuild the house. He works for the Hamas-led government, but his salary is barely enough for food.

idf out here doing roof knocking with nerf missiles

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/ShehabAgency/status/1396123299315322883?s=20

quote:

#شاهد The occupation forces allow settlers to enter the Sheikh Jarrah neighborhood, while preventing Jerusalemites from reaching the neighborhood and imposing a siege on it
https://twitter.com/aesthete_m/status/1396120247875350534?s=20

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Grimson posted:

fun little paragraph from a recent article about the latest attacks

idf out here doing roof knocking with nerf missiles

just doing normal war crimes stuff so what - IDF

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

We spend billions of dollars every year to have state of the art militaries, so you're a "coward" if you don't line up in a field to get obliterated fair & square. What we really resent is that resistance and liberation movements won't make it easy for imperialists. Colonizers ultimately respect the rebellions where their leaders were foolish enough to do conventional instead of asymmetric warfare, like when the Mahdi in Sudan got tens of thousands of his followers mowed down by British repeating rifles & machineguns at Omdurman. One of the Mahadists was even wearing chain mail. How precious.

British soldiers laughing at the idiot adversaries who are charging fixed machine gun fire, 20 years later wondering why all their friends and relatives aren't sending letters from the front anymore

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
How credible is the theory that people in North America sympathize with Israeli settlers because they ultimately believe their own settler history is positive?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

American Zionists just pretend the settlements aren't happening.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
There is an element of it, but it's pretty small. People have such a crappy understanding of American settlement they're incapable of drawing any parallels and most people don't even think of that as having been a thing that occurred usually.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

ToxicAcne posted:

How credible is the theory that people in North America sympathize with Israeli settlers because they ultimately believe their own settler history is positive?

Honestly pretty credible. if you accept Israel is doing evil, then the US did evil and they have to accept that; it's far easier to make excuses than to examine your own culpability.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

American Israel supporters are either evangelic psychos, or war of civilization dead enders. If you even tried explaining the concept of a settler state to them, their eyes would glaze over.

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
Interesting, and how do people here feel about there being a statute of limitations on settlers? I often find that Canadian leftists say some performative bullshit like "If indigenous people wanted me to to leave, I'd pack my poo poo back to Europe", which isn't what Indigenous activists mean by decolonization. In the same way, Israelis within the 48 borders have the right to stay, no?

Edit: I hope this isn't construed as a defense of the IDF and Israeli settlements which are far right affronts to humanity.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

https://twitter.com/vv1lder/status/1396142932583874563

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Good rear end statement, gently caress the AP.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

:laffo:

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
dti

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

ToxicAcne posted:

Interesting, and how do people here feel about there being a statute of limitations on settlers? I often find that Canadian leftists say some performative bullshit like "If indigenous people wanted me to to leave, I'd pack my poo poo back to Europe", which isn't what Indigenous activists mean by decolonization. In the same way, Israelis within the 48 borders have the right to stay, no?

Edit: I hope this isn't construed as a defense of the IDF and Israeli settlements which are far right affronts to humanity.

I hear people in the West Bank even today say they'd be fine with Jewish immigrants, but the issue with settlers is that they steal land and houses. Obviously they don't speak for some united Palestinian voice, but that sentiment is there. I don't know any group in Palestine that explicitly calls for the expulsion of Jewish Israelis. There is the implication that a lot of the most extreme settlers and Zionists would probably rather move to the US or die than accept one person, one vote in Palestine.

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
Yeah, that's my sentiment too. My point was that well meaning but idiotic blowhards say dumb poo poo about deporting settlers in Israel as well as Canada, the US, Australia etc.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

spacemang_spliff posted:

again just poppin in to say "gently caress Israel"

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ToxicAcne posted:

people who bought their land legally can stay. settlers who got free land from the Nakba can get hosed

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

ToxicAcne posted:

Rutibex posted:

people who bought their land legally can stay. settlers who got free land from the Nakba can get hosed

the brooklyn fat gently caress and others like him should get hosed and go back to brooklyn

hope that clears things up for ya

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Part of what got me on the right side of this was seeing reactionaries call Corrie "Saint Pancake" like it was a hilarious joke. I knew Israel defenders were demons then.

https://twitter.com/theomaramo/status/1396095869544452099?s=20

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Agrajag posted:

the brooklyn fat gently caress and others like him should get hosed and go back to brooklyn

hope that clears things up for ya

We don't want him, send him to the Hague

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

send him to the cemetery

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Good rear end, gently caress the AP.

The IDF has entered the thread.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
some 15% of all settlers are brooklyn fat fucks

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The concept of Zionism is also hilariously ironic when you do a deep dive into the core values and thinking.

For the strategy we decided that the best ideal situation is creating a religiously and ethnically homogenous state after doing a land grab invasion!

The above also matches the glorious history of Israelite nation which was all above invading a promised land and purging people which didn't make the
ethnic/religious standards..

I what other historically failed regimes had similar ideas to create a "utopian" state with religious and ethnically "Pure" homogeneity as the ideals?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
https://twitter.com/JulianCastro/status/1396163108637380613?s=20

https://twitter.com/KeithOlbermann/status/1396161765755564036?s=20

https://twitter.com/nhannahjones/status/1396158563270135810?s=20

When your defense of Israel's reputation gets these wet wipes to call you out

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
To be honest, the Exodus narrative is probably fictional. The Hebrews were probably one of the many Canaanite groups in the area who gradually became monotheistic. Curre evidence even suggests that the United Kingdom of Israel never existed.

Edit: gently caress yeah! That firing was one of the most cowardly reactions by a press outlet I've ever seen.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Yeah Exodus is a myth.

Probably posted already but I can't stop laughing over Israel's failson not understanding inflation.

https://twitter.com/YairNetanyahu/status/1395786326302150659?s=20

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

American Zionists just pretend the settlements aren't happening.

they imagine themselves one day in a brand new home, standing on the stoop, yelling racial epithets at the Palestinian couple they evicted to move into their home sweet home,

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

ToxicAcne posted:

To be honest, the Exodus narrative is probably fictional. The Hebrews were probably one of the many Canaanite groups in the area who gradually became monotheistic. Curre evidence even suggests that the United Kingdom of Israel never existed.

Edit: gently caress yeah! That firing was one of the most cowardly reactions by a press outlet I've ever seen.

Well I imagine Israel did exist it just didn't match the glorious "superpower" historical spin since archaeologists have dug things like a list of all the super powers they were having to pay off (Egypt / Assyrians)

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
Nah I meant that it was probably two or more kingdoms

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

ToxicAcne posted:

Nah I many that it was probably two or more kingdoms

but the anime wall scrolls say otherwise!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yeah Exodus is a myth.

Probably posted already but I can't stop laughing over Israel's failson not understanding inflation.

https://twitter.com/YairNetanyahu/status/1395786326302150659?s=20

the coward turned off his replies (and gently caress twitter for making that possible)