Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Read After Burning posted:

In your opinion, who was this in S12? While I don't think she's completely talentless, it boggles my mind that Gigi was top 3. Since so much got cut, I'm curious if Sherry actually "Deserved" her top three placement, or if she was 'big girl dragged to the end' like Silky and Kandy?

I've spoken about this before, but even though they cut a lot, it was clear that Sherry was well loved by the other queens and the judges and was probably the front runner for the crown. If they were going to cut her out of the edit, they would have at least left in bad commentary, but the little that they did show was very positive.

I think Gigi deserved her top 3 placement, she surprised me. I was really rooting for Jackie Cox, but she just couldn't quite pull it off. She's a strong contender to do very well in a future All Stars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I can't be mad about Drag Race judging this week, I've devoted my time to being angry at Eurovision results. :v:

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
My dream top 3 for S12 was Jaida, Widow, and Heidi, with Nicky Doll as fourth place if we MUST have a "skinny white fashion queen". I thought Nicky's looks were way ahead of Gigi's, but I may be biased, as Nicky is more of a nerd and I love that.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
I dunno, Sherry won two contentious challenges early on, then coasted for the rest of the season. She also had two close calls in the bottom and got saved both times (same as Gigi, but at least Gigi won another challenge after). Even without editing her out, it doesn't seem like she had the trajectory to make her a threat going into the finale.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Yvie only had one shared win, but she still felt like a contender going into the finale because she had such a strong presence as she was featured heavily throughout the season itself. Editing definitely matters a lot here.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Yeah, Season 11 was absolutely Akeria vs Brooke for me, with Scarlet Envy (or Shuga?) and Ra'jah as runner-ups.

Yvie had some cool looks but also some crunchy ones, and Silky...well. I feel bad for some of the editing shenanigans and all of the racism that was thrown Silky's way, yet she did not deserve top 4 (and has shown her rear end quite a lot recently regarding the pandemic).

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

Read After Burning posted:

In your opinion, who was this in S12? While I don't think she's completely talentless, it boggles my mind that Gigi was top 3. Since so much got cut, I'm curious if Sherry actually "Deserved" her top three placement, or if she was 'big girl dragged to the end' like Silky and Kandy?

Honestly Sherry is the exception to the rule in this one in that she seemed to earn her way up well enough. (Though we didn't get her full edit either, who knows.)
Which, admittedly, pokes a hole in my "they're doing this on purpose" idea. Possible they're just forcing a big girl into top 4 no matter what and several of them are.... awful.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

It would probably help if they just had, you know, more than one a season

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Widow shoulda been producers' favorite big girl after that episode 1 win.

Are 7 and 12 the only seasons with more than one big girl?

Edit: 3 and 4 I guess. Well 12 is the only recent one and they picked wrong.
Edit 2: Oh, and 10. In any case, they always treat all but one as filler.

gandlethorpe fucked around with this message at 03:17 on May 20, 2021

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
They should bring Darienne Lake to All Stars. Her looks were sometimes weak her season but she was so funny and talented, imagine her glow-up.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

A God drat Ghost posted:

They should bring Darienne Lake to All Stars. Her looks were sometimes weak her season but she was so funny and talented, imagine her glow-up.

Her petty one-sided rivalry with Ben was head-scratching to watch, and her looks tended to be pretty same-y each week, but she was clearly a talented queen and I'd like to see her back for an All-Stars. I wonder if she's been approached about it.

If she returned she would be one of the older queens, she's 49 now. Tamisha is slightly older I think, she was 49 when season 13 filmed. Charlie Hides I think is the oldest, she was 52 when she competed 5 years ago. Speaking of, I never quite understood why she didn't get a pass for being injured while Eureka was injured in the same episode and was asked to return.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Nihonniboku posted:

Charlie Hides I think is the oldest, she was 52 when she competed 5 years ago. Speaking of, I never quite understood why she didn't get a pass for being injured while Eureka was injured in the same episode and was asked to return.

Old queens are filler

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Nihonniboku posted:

Speaking of, I never quite understood why she didn't get a pass for being injured while Eureka was injured in the same episode and was asked to return.

She was eliminated instead of being declared ineligible to continue medically so her drag race journey was “complete.” But the real reason was Ru and the producers liked Eureka and wanted her to be back and they didn’t care about Charlie.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
I thought Charlie didn’t bring up the cracked rib until after her elimination when people got mad that she didn’t even try. Plus didn’t she have some bullshit about how UK queens don’t lip sync? She knew she’d lose and decided ahead of time that she’d just stand there when it came time for a LSFYL.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Nemo posted:

I thought Charlie didn’t bring up the cracked rib until after her elimination when people got mad that she didn’t even try. Plus didn’t she have some bullshit about how UK queens don’t lip sync? She knew she’d lose and decided ahead of time that she’d just stand there when it came time for a LSFYL.

Yeah, Charlie's fifteen different reasons basically became a meme. If I remember, excuses included: cracked rib, diarrhea, UK queens don't lipsync, and "No, my lip sync performance was on purpose and exactly what I wanted to do."

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Nemo posted:

Heh, well, I think that last part has been proven to be true. While I love many of the UK queens, most of the lip syncs have been very lackluster on DRUK.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

Nihonniboku posted:

Her petty one-sided rivalry with Ben was head-scratching to watch,

I think Ben mentioned once that the grudge Darienne had against her was edited in Ben's favor. She did get an ego after doing so well, but almost all of the egotistical comments didn't make it to air, just the "i'm doing well! :D" ones.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Been watching the seasons in reverse order and finally got to 5. Jinx is nice but Alaska was robbed.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Been watching the seasons in reverse order and finally got to 5.

That's unfortunate, because you end with the Santino seasons. Bleh. That man's twitter is a garbage fire.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 16:15 on May 21, 2021

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Been watching the seasons in reverse order and finally got to 5. Jinx is nice but Alaska was robbed.

Alaska only started to do well in the final two episodes, and was solidly middle of the pack the rest of the season if I remember correctly. Jinx had some real ups and downs, and with Rolaskatox constantly underestimating, it gave the editors a real compelling narrative for her.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

It was funny because Jinkx was absolutely the frontrunner in the season, she was in the top 3 for every week except two, but due to Rolaskatox existing (and especially Roxxxy constantly playing the bully) she was able to also spin that into an underdog story for herself.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Several folks (including Jinkx themself, I believe) have said that the editing showed that feud as VERY one-sided. In reality, Jinkx was apparently clapping back more often than not. I'd kill to see the original footage, as Jinkx can have a VERY sharp tongue.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

That's unfortunate, because you end with the Santino seasons. Bleh. That man's twitter is a garbage fire.

Lol, not gonna look it up but not surprising given what a garbage fire he’s on screen.

Also re: Jinx, I knew she was the winner when I started the season so it was honestly kind of a shock to see her just coast on funnier-than-average and meh looks, while Alaska had the same and at least also knew how to play the game.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

I'm basically obligated to post this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvosW6ITTbU

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Disappointed that the link wasn't this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PiEpDdCcvg

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

His Twitter has many valid opinions!

https://twitter.com/SANTINORICE/status/687442055094640640?s=19

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

oh god

https://twitter.com/SANTINORICE/status/1394700539590414336?s=19

https://twitter.com/SANTINORICE/status/1394702388028530690?s=19

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

https://twitter.com/SANTINORICE/status/1267880665854304257
https://twitter.com/SANTINORICE/status/1267889090818535426

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

That incident was how I learned that Santino is part black! Not that makes his comments okay, but at least it's not a 100% white man commenting on BLM like I originally thought...

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

:argh: the man needs to gently caress off forever.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Man this week's Down Under is a huge huge disappointment.

WILDLY questionable judging, return of a queen while not even pretending it's a competition, and 2/3rds of the episode dedicated to bitching and fighting that wasn't funny or witty in the slightest.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

tote up a bags posted:

Pretty much this.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

tote up a bags posted:

WILDLY questionable judging, return of a queen while not even pretending it's a competition, and 2/3rds of the episode dedicated to bitching and fighting that wasn't funny or witty in the slightest.

I thought the burnt book look was lovely and the picnic outfit was wholly meh? The entirely unceremonious return of art was a bit bizarre too.
And there's the Danni Minogue song they didn't use when the Minogues were actually on?

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
yeah I thought the only outfit that even looked like it was going to be in the bottom was Kita Means weird ball poo poo? And it wasn't even that bad? I just hate outfits that have a lot of clashing colours like that. We have for sure seen ball pit balls being used a lot worse. Just a real bad episode altogether for all the reasons mentioned despite the actual outfits being thrown together being some of the strongest we've seen in a design challenge.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

As refreshing as it is to put two frontrunners in the bottom this early... not like this

Also, ------Art------ was robbed

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Why the gently caress did they do a Danii Minogue track today instead of the episode where they featured her and Kylie

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

hey arts back for no reason sorry about that! where's coco and zozo, oh I guess they actually deserved to go for real?

ms visage's "loving auntie" persona has hit the age where she tries to coin the word "glamdiculous"

also Karen seemed to have a polished and planned lip synch routine, but her "office workplace PowerPoint presentation" moves felt very corporate office , so maybe like watching PrepareBot 3000 grimly destroying a competitor.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

"Let's eliminate a white queen in between the POC queens so we can say, "look, we eliminated a popular white queen second, we're not being racist!" After the last elimination has gone cold in people's minds though, let's bring the white queen back so the competition can start for real"

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

anita: "is it too soon to talk about all stars?"
rupaul: "extended cackling, eyes morph into dollar signs"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Leaving a weird note on someone's desk and being brought back a week or 2 later is dodgy poo poo