Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
I just cannot ever keep this one's blurb straight, I always assume it's for another Abnormality-either this upcoming one or another one that we haven't got to.

This makes absolutely no sense, as when I see the blurbs for those two I can actually identify them! I just always somehow think this is one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Well, that wasn't doki doki at all. :stonk:

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

The largest non-infinite number, even!

There's no number after 3.40282347e+38; this has been proven through computer simulations.

3.40282347e+39 :smug:

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

goblin week posted:

3.40282347e+39 :smug:
code:
float p = 3.40282347e+39F;
Error(s): (15:23) Floating-point constant is outside the range of type 'float'

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
Prettiest ego :allears:

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I haven’t read the story of the next one. However, with it apparently being story relevant, I’m going to guess that it’s how Enok had died.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

MiiNiPaa posted:

code:
float p = 3.40282347e+39F;
Error(s): (15:23) Floating-point constant is outside the range of type 'float'

idk, ~works on my machine~

code:
localhost> $x = 3.40282347e+39;
localhost> = $x
3.40282347E+39

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

King of Bleh posted:

idk, ~works on my machine~

code:
localhost> $x = 3.40282347e+39;
localhost> = $x
3.40282347E+39

You didn't specify a type for $x, though. Double can hold it just fine.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
Time to deliberately sacrifice clerks to the murder tree for the facility wide full heal so my agent can get a work off safely on CENSORED!

Am I good manager material yet?

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

the Orb of Zot posted:

Time to deliberately sacrifice clerks to the murder tree for the facility wide full heal so my agent can get a work off safely on CENSORED!

Am I good manager material yet?

Honestly, yeah, that’s probably one of the better uses for Grave in your facility.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
That sounds like timing similar to handling Queen of Hatred without execution bullets, but honestly pretty clever tactics overall.

I never even noticed that the tree healed the facility. I think I looked at how hard it was to handle and then ignored it and only worked it on meltdowns.

It was very pretty EGO though, at least.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
The only thing to keep in mind that you do need to be mindful of your clerks rights activists as they can and will count clerk sacrifices to tree.

This was the first time I saw Mountain of Smiling Bodies escape and I could NOT handle it at full strength as it zipped through central. :negative:

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Ranged weapons are good on Mountain if you don't have the power to actually fight his tier 3 properly. He's not THAT fast, and his vomit attack has a wind-up. What I did was have one agent run back and forth past him, and the ranged squad shoot it. Best done in Central. Standout weapons are Queen of Hatred for having ridiculous range to the point of never having to leave the doorway, and Queen Bee for being a fast firing red weapon.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

Keldulas posted:

Ranged weapons are good on Mountain if you don't have the power to actually fight his tier 3 properly. He's not THAT fast, and his vomit attack has a wind-up. What I did was have one agent run back and forth past him, and the ranged squad shoot it. Best done in Central. Standout weapons are Queen of Hatred for having ridiculous range to the point of never having to leave the doorway, and Queen Bee for being a fast firing red weapon.

Now, when it vomits on you… you need to not be there.

...this is a terrible plan.

I love that “just run back and forth past it” is so frequently applicable as a strategy. :lobcorp:

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Chaosbrain posted:

You can practically see the white sign pop up out of the wrapped up employee saying in black lettering “Help!” Like Wile E. Coyote. (Super Genius).

All it's missing is the the tree to belch up a pair of shoes and departmental armband.

TitanG
May 10, 2015

TeeQueue posted:

Now, when it vomits on you… you need to not be there.

...this is a terrible plan.

I love that “just run back and forth past it” is so frequently applicable as a strategy. :lobcorp:

It's the 2D equivalent of circlestrafe honestly

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

TitanG posted:

It's the 2D equivalent of circlestrafe honestly

Or 'crouch and hit it in the kneecaps'

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

TeeQueue posted:

The game teaches it early, too, by sending Amber Dawns against your agents with slow weapons.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

X-394 is a big facility, full of mysterious creatures known as Abnormalities. Many of these Abnormalities can do very bad things if they're handled improperly, and it's vitally important that our agents know just what may happen if they're careless. What's a manager to do?

Episode 14: Bloodbath

Music: trailer

Hi! I'm Paul! Just your everyday plucky employee of Lobotomy Cobotomy, here today to talk about Bloodbath!

Bloodbath is a TETH abnormality which takes on the form of a bathtub.

Full of blood! I get it, Miss Hod! :buddy:

Very good, Paul! It requires some level of care to work with, but should be an easy enough Abnormality for even the most fledgling of managers to figure out quickly.

Then why do I have a whole posse this time, Miss Hod?

That's because you alone can't show off all of what Bloodbath can do.

Wowsers! Sounds like the bathtub has hidden depths!

Haha, good one, Paul! Like most bathtubs, it's important not to slip-if an agent falls in, they won't be coming out. Aside from that it's harmless to most agents, but any agent with a Fortitude or Temperance of level 1 should not be ordered to work with it.

Hey, my Temperance is level 1! That means we're about to find out why, right?

That it does! Give it a good Attachment work, Paul!

I've got it, Miss Hod! If I just talk with it from this side of the room, nothing bad can happen!

Remember, Paul: you can never truly be sure that you're safe anywhere near an Abnormality. Let's see what happens when the work finishes.

Yowie wowie! I just got pulled right into the tub!

That's not all. Your hand's now hovering there, on the surface of the water.

Who said bathtubs don't have waves?

This hand has the effect of increasing the energy output of the Abnormality. With one hand, we gain one additional point of energy towards our goal with each work we perform.

What about the unique boxes, Miss Hod? You know, the ones that let you get gear?

There's no change to them.

Then… why would we ever use this?

Don't be silly, Paul! It's not for us to question the tools the Manager uses. Even if he simply wishes to make lemonade out of a lemon, it's important for us to give out all the options at hand.

I see! So it's like, 'you screwed up, but at least it's not a total loss,' right?

That's correct! It's even possible to get more energy by tossing an agent with low Fortitude in.

Like so!

Remember, agents! If you max your pump, you won't drown in the bathtub! Probably!

With two hands in the tub, the energy bonus increases by two.

Wowsers, Miss Hod! And the PE box increase…

There is none.

At all?

There is none.

Yowsers! That's harsh! But if two hands is good, three should be even better, right?

There's only one way to find out.

With pain?

Plus observation! When the Bloodbath is at 3 hands, it changes slightly. To demonstrate, we'll be sending in D.A.D. to demonstrate the results of a work attempt with it.

The D.A.D? Wowsers! I can't wait to see them at work!

Phlebotomous porcelain, Miss Hod, they didn't even get to start working!

When enough despair and misery piles up, Bloodbath's pull can't be resisted by anyone. They'll walk over and let it pull them in regardless of their statistics, before Bloodbath resets itself to 0 hands. Thus, it's vital that any manager avoid working with it while it's in this state.

At least that's easy, since it doesn't have any kind of counter to activate!

Very true, Paul. Still, how the Manager uses this knowledge is up to him.

Kill two agents for a benefit so small it may as well not exist, or just work it without any deaths. Man, being a manager sounds complicated… I don't know which one I'd pick!

Well, that's all the time we have today. Thanks for joining us! And remember…

Knowledge is just pain plus observation! Have a great day!

Music: Aspire

Good evening, future Managers.

…Let's simply get this over with. Angela, the graphics.

Bloodbath is… perfectly benign. It cannot harm you unless worked wrong-once our agents have more than even the barest training, it will never be anything but an asset to the facility. There is little reason not to take it, aside its lackluster gear, as it is… safe.

Still... I do not like it. There is something about that bath which speaks to me. It reminds me of a day I swore not to forget, and yet couldn't bring myself to remember. It scratches at the edges of my memory, leaving a lattice of worry and concern upon my pons until I find myself off balance… eyes trembling over dread something-a memory ever just out of reach.

……...This morning, I saw Angela's true self again. I expect I'll see it many more times during this filming session.

Frankly, the sight of her disgusts me at this point. When she speaks, her voice is familiar, but cold. Devoid of the warmth which spurred us all on back then. Her features are just different enough to make clear what we'd done… and that in the end I hadn't the heart to commit. I knew, even then. How could I not know? No pallid bit of scrap could ever replace our inspiration…

Nevertheless, she is the warden of this jail, and like the prisoner she keeps watch over neither of us may leave. Unlike myself, however, she is a simple machine. Behaving as a machine, running through these loops for all of time, knowing they are her sole purpose-that should they ever end, her existence can finally terminate. Complete. One can only assume she must be happy to have such clear, simple purpose. Sisyphus himself could never hope to be so fulfilled.

...I did what had to be done. There were no errors in her-our judgment.

Next time's featured Abnormality…

New Guidelines

Bloodbath

New Gear

Requirements: None

Requirements: None

New Story

Bloodbath

TeeQueue fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jul 11, 2021

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Jesus. They sneak in a plot abnormality in the sea of the rest, and it provides additional context that enhances our understanding of the events. Not necessary, but appropriate.

All that is left is regrets.

Mechanically I don't really see a reason to ever have this. Even for TETH gear, it looks kind of crap and doesn't look particularly good for stat training either, especially since only newbie employees would want a TETH, and it punishes completely new ones.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Keldulas posted:

Jesus. They sneak in a plot abnormality in the sea of the rest, and it provides additional context that enhances our understanding of the events. Not necessary, but appropriate.

All that is left is regrets.

Mechanically I don't really see a reason to ever have this. Even for TETH gear, it looks kind of crap and doesn't look particularly good for stat training either, especially since only newbie employees would want a TETH, and it punishes completely new ones.

What can’t be captured here is the emotional effect of encountering Bloodbath before hitting Day 45, meaning that you learn its connection with Carmen’s story only after you’ve worked, and then ignored, it.

In terms of deliberately taking it, it falls into the “completely harmless” category, as once you complete a few suppressions you’re unlikely to be able to send someone to work it who will die. You’ll want a few of those in your complex, even if you’d prefer more useful ones.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
If you get it early on it’s obvious it’s about a company employee but until you get to the later days it’s not clear just HOW important, yeah.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

TeeQueue posted:

Phlebotomous porcelain, Miss Hod

:allears:

You didn't pick Laetitia you PIECE OF poo poo!

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away

TeeQueue posted:

Nevertheless, she is the warden of this jail, and like the prisoner she keeps watch over neither of us may leave. Unlike myself, however, she is a simple machine. Behaving as a machine, running through these loops for all of time, knowing they are her sole purpose-that should they ever end, her existence can finally terminate. Complete. One can only assume she must be happy to have such clear, simple purpose. Sisyphus himself could never hope to be so fulfilled.

grggrgrhahrh GOD DAMMIT A

Anyway, uh...I guess that the Bloodbath thing might be vaguely useful if you zone out and forget the restrictions and accidentally send an agent to their deaths? But even then it's still mostly useless because it's just one extra point.

t3isukone fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 21, 2021

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Bloodbath was one of my first abnormalities and it's a Just Fine things-that-aren't-justice trainer (most notably attachment, since the other two will definitionally be at 3).

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
Between this and the murder tree that produces healing light, I am starting to wonder if maybe dunking Carmen into the literal human subconscious isn't having some feedback effects into that subconscious.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

X-394 is a big facility, full of mysterious creatures known as Abnormalities. Many of these Abnormalities can do very bad things if they're handled improperly, and it's vitally important that our agents know just what may happen if they're careless. What's a manager to do?

Episode 15: Happy Teddy Bear

Music: trailer

Hi! I'm Paul! Just your everyday plucky employee of Lobotomy Cobotomy, here today to talk about Happy Teddy Bear!

Happy Teddy Bear, or A Teddy Bear as it's also known, is a HE-level Abnormality which takes the form of a well-loved teddy bear.

It looks so soft and cuddly! It's hard to believe this thing could hurt anyone!

Abnormalities are frequently full of surprises, Paul. Why not give working with it a try, and see what happens?

With pleasure, Miss Hod! I love learning about new sources of energy!

It's such a good listener, just like Mr. Snuggles in my room.

It certainly seems to like you, Paul. Would Mr. Snuggles get jealous if you were to work with it again?

Golly, Miss Hod, that's a really good question! Let me ask!

Mr. Snuggles says it's fine!

Alright then, let's see what happens this time.

Yowie wowie! It squeezed the air right out of me!

That's right, Paul! If any agent performs two works in a row on Happy Teddy Bear, it'll confuse them for its owner, and hug them tightly so that they can never leave it behind again. This is instantly lethal to any of our agents, regardless of their statistical prowess or resistances.

In the instance that this does happen, Miss Angela will also take the time to inform the Manager that this has transpired.

Golly, Miss Hod, the Angela saying the name of little ol' me? It feels like it's too good to be true!

I can understand why you feel that way, Paul! She is a perfect AI in every way, after all! And she reminds us of it at every opportunity…

Whadja say, Miss Hod?

Oh, um… n-nothing! Anyways, this is the one consideration to keep in mind for Happy Teddy Bear. As long as that's done, you'll be just fine, Manager!

Are you sure you're okay? You looked really weird for a second there…

W-w-well, that's all the time we have today! Thanks for joining us! And remember…

Huh?! What abou-

And remember…

Oh! Uh-right, yes Miss Hod! Knowledge is just pain plus observation! Have a great day!

Music: Aspire

Good evening, future Managers. I was simply thinking about a funny program we always receive during the loops before you came in. Today's Abnormality is… Happy Teddy Bear, wasn't it? Angela, the graphics.

Happy Teddy Bear is a complete nonthreat, like most Abnormalities which lack a Qliphoth Counter. It has one simple rule, and if followed there will be no trouble. It cannot breach, has no special abilities, and in return its gear is largely lackluster. I find it pairs well with The Little Prince-having two agents swapping between them is a very stable way to deal with both Abnormalities.

Enough of that, though… the program that we receive from our mysterious benefactor, 'B.' I'm sure you've wondered by now, haven't you? Is it even a legitimate program? What if it were simply an override to perform some red flashes at an appropriate moment in the script. Can we truly say that Angela is lying to us? Perhaps it was B who set this up.

Make no mistake: the program is very real. Angela does lie, for the script requires it of her. A machine must behave as a machine, and our old self has made this one to lie. This does beg an important question… how do I know for certain? Well-

Manager, your time for the day is up. We must handle the paperwork and preparations for the pending opening of our newest department. There are several agents who will need to be hired as well.

Ah, another time, I suppose. It is something of a tale, after all. For now, this old man shall cease his ramblings.

Next time's featured Abnormality…

New Guidelines

Happy Teddy Bear

New Gear

Requirements: Fortitude 2

Requirements: Level 2

New Story

Happy Teddy Bear

TeeQueue fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jul 11, 2021

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

I have had an embarrassing amount of resets due to mixing up who I have and haven't sent to work on the Bear, even if its just two agents...

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The work log in the lower-left can help immensely with this, since it'll show you who's worked when.

Unless Yesod is active, then you're on your own. :shepface:

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I dislike the bear on the basis of disliking all instant-death abnormalities honestly. Though the fact that its gear is utter crap doesn't help.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
As an Insight trainer, it’s bearly adequate.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
It's a classic "gotcha" abno, that ruins what was a perfect day right at the end because you were incautious. That makes it a paiiiin

A jargogle fucked around with this message at 15:44 on May 22, 2021

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Lobotomy corporation does seem like it has a lot of Abnormalities that are generally not worth it in the long run. Much like this one, going the "easy" route will just sabatage you in the future or give you less than useful stats and equipment. If anyone were to play this blind, they'd likely have to restart multiple times just to learn what all the Abnormalities do and how they work (which I suppose is entirely the point and thematically appropriate).

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

It's a HE that's easy to work. There's, uh. Not much more for me to say here. :effort:.
The gear is alright, but the player has better options. The E.G.O. gift is nice, I suppose?
Seems a decent candidate for a run going all the way, at least.
Could remember which agent worked it last; or just read the logs and let them remember who worked it last for you.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Happy Teddy Bear isn't terribly demanding at least, but yeah, in the fracas of later Suppressions you'll almost certainly botch it a few times. I want to say its gear is also the worst, or at least competing with the worst in its weight class, too? At least it gives you a lot of it.

DimiPZC
Jul 29, 2020

The very bestest!

Tombot posted:

Lobotomy corporation does seem like it has a lot of Abnormalities that are generally not worth it in the long run. Much like this one, going the "easy" route will just sabatage you in the future or give you less than useful stats and equipment. If anyone were to play this blind, they'd likely have to restart multiple times just to learn what all the Abnormalities do and how they work (which I suppose is entirely the point and thematically appropriate).

It might sabotage you in the midterm, but longterm Hokma/Binah/Kether suppressions will probably make a safe facility more viable?

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

TeeQueue posted:

The work log in the lower-left can help immensely with this, since it'll show you who's worked when.

Fun fact: I did not discover the work log on the lower left until my third full playthrough of the game. Abnormalities like this one or the Little Prince were incredibly anxiety inducing before that point.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

the Orb of Zot posted:

Between this and the murder tree that produces healing light, I am starting to wonder if maybe dunking Carmen into the literal human subconscious isn't having some feedback effects into that subconscious.

considering she was cool with doing whatever horrible experiments to the forsaken murderer (and is explicitly acknowledged in another abnormality that I think was cut?) she's probably not the best person to have in that, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
*sees self go into the Bloodbath*

Yay, I'm a helper! :downs: