Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Slavvy posted:

What's that sticker originally from/for/about? It's very appropriate but also works on Suzuki.

I think this clip sums it up pretty well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-Dsy16hhOI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

dropped the motor out of the daytona 675

When i first started to get into the motor I thought maybe it wasent so bad.

Then as I started to get it apart more I could see some tell tale signs this motor was getting tired. Crank case breather hose had plenty of oily grime around it. When I got the air box off it had some nice oily grime and carbon buildup on the intake valves. Getting the sensation there was enough oil in the combustion chamber to get turned into mist and then float back into the intake runners during overlap

The replacement motor I bought is looking great. Only 8,000 miles on it and looks clean in the intake runners and what little bit of the piston I can see. I’ve had the case covers off it already to swap the clutch and its nice and clean in there too.

Hopefully this new setup is stronger than what I had and this bike gets a whole new lease on life.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

AnnoyBot posted:

While I want to be wrong because I like this post, you can see the valve covers at https://youtu.be/Wq4vRnUFuHs?t=27 and it's totally 100% a CBX.
Oh my bad, I was going from memory of the pipes. Yeah the motor is clearly a CBX since the Benelli was based off a SOHC CB550. But CBX never had 6 into 6 pipes from the factory.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

speaking of taping nipples I pulled the old shinko off my second (first?) set of rims to swap out some nipples that froze forever ago and prevented me from truing the wheel properly. spoked wheels rule for being able to do stupid poo poo on, but man, if poo poo gets hosed up it is a pain to sort :mad:

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Got the ‘77 Mobylette a new petcock and bit of fuel line and PRESTO, she runs reliably after 33 years in a garage. New rubber is next on the list for roadworthiness, and new grips for style points.

https://youtu.be/r_s9F1eln6g

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

triumph is about 3/4 of the together after having the engine out.

hoping to start it soon

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
A tale of POs, tearing into the blue spaceman.

The first 4 bolts, side panels + seat. in theory two and two of them should be the same (one seat bolt was missing)

I enjoy this one. mismatched bolts, and stacking of washers on the + terminal to be able to use the bolt.

The regulator is a SCHINDENGEN 47X-A1 SH569-12, need to look up if that is one of the bad ones.

More missing bolts, hold down for the tank. The air filter was actually ok, still damp with oil, no crud on it.

Tank has some rust in the tunnel towards the frame. gonna remove loose stuff and hit it with rust converter.

The frame itself and engine looks okay. Someone has been at the wire harness before, but nothing extreme.

Lastly, if you make a self made exhaust, how about make it not melt the indicator?
I have some old honda ones with longer rubber stalks, gonna drop those in. not going to mess with led indicators on this one.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Supradog posted:

Lastly, if you make a self made exhaust, how about make it not melt the indicator?

Hey, if KTM can do it, why can’t your PO?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

This has not been my experience with KTM and melting it's own signals.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Into the box of old honda indicators we go

Hopefully long enough

Crimped some bullet extenders and ready to go. Cables go honda side specific indicator colours -> red and black -> yamaha side specific indicator colours. Become your own PO.

Hit the tank tunnel up with a wire brush, degreased it and gave it coat of Brunox epoxy spray.
Also found another thing to fix. the rubber seal is toast. Just gonna hand cut one from a sheet.

Bled the brakes. front was coffee, rear was coffe with milk dots. Front had so much crap in the caliper that the bleed screw clogged. but got it flushed.

Supradog fucked around with this message at 00:30 on May 21, 2021

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Coydog posted:

This has not been my experience with KTM and melting it's own signals.

not to make excuses for KTM but blame the DOT and the dumbass signals we get stateside

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

damnit..

Picture taken after I removed the loose paint.
Fun thing to spot as you're cleaning up after a day of wrenching.
Its one of the 4 tabs to hold the fairing to the tank, not much weight on it. Seems to be coming from behind the upper part of the small bracket.
PO had hardly used the bike the two years he owned it and sold it with near empty gas tank. I filled it up with premium to flush it.
The 3 other tabs are all welded or chemical metal bondoed then painted over with blue. So it looks more like design flaw on the tank rather than PO, or combo?

I've near drained the tank so there is no fuel in that area. I will also never again remove the tank from the bike unless its near empty. From what I recon it had 4.6 gallons/21 liters of fuel in it when I removed it. Not solid enough to manhandle without crushing the petcocks when you set it down.

Gonna wirewheel the area and either solder it, or do a chemical metal thing.

its not visible with fairing assembled so as long as its not leaking I don't care about the blue.

Also snippy snippy

Fork oil replacement was uneventful. It looked semi recent, as in in the last 5 years, not 20+ years.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

lol at that brake fluid.

it seems like the last thing people change on old bikes if they ever do it at all and it makes a big difference in the feel with fresh fluid.

No pics, but I got my daytona 675 started today after buttoning up everything. Ran it through its little procedure where the ECU acclimates itself. Then went and ran it around the block a few times. Feels good.

I have a track weekend this coming memorial day so having the engine on the ground two weeks before hand was a little nerve racking.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Brake fluid is the second to last because fork oil exists.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

yummycheese posted:

lol at that brake fluid.

it seems like the last thing people change on old bikes if they ever do it at all and it makes a big difference in the feel with fresh fluid.

it's ridiculous how excellent new brake fluid is

speaking of which, after I get done refurbishing this wheel I am throwing some fresh RBF660 and EBC pads on the 1290; I can't wait to annoy my neighbors with stoppies :D

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

yummycheese posted:

lol at that brake fluid.

I flush mine twice a year. Though I was living in a high humidity environment. I'm picky about brakes.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Installed the ram mount I kept from my old bike and a two port USB charger. LOL at paying $50 for the one Kawasaki wants when I can spend less than half on the same thing elsewhere.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I would like it to stop raining and/or snowing outside so I can yank the wheels off my bike and take them in to get my new tires

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Prior state, leaking from behind upper part of bracket.

Wirewheel the general area to stop any capillary seepage.

Goop it with wurth Fe1, let it cure, sand off the most bad high spots

Why don't I bother to make it pretty?
This is the state of the 3 other fairing mount tabs.

Primed it before going on weekend brapp.

It's a tank that should not leave the frame unless near empty. Up to 23 liters of fuel in a saddlebag shape tank makes for a unwieldy thing that can crush it's dual opposite side petcocks if set down wrong. I topped it up when I bought the bike, that's how I saw the leak. Not fun to drain out about 21L manually.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
For maybe the second time since owning this motorcycle, I washed it.

It started with me not being able to get my pressure washer to start, because gently caress everything with a carburetor, but it came out pretty nice. The first time there's so much as a drizzle it'll immediately look like poo poo again because of all the pollen, but at least for now it's all shiny.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Managed to get my new to me caliper mounted and mostly bled. Brakes still aren't completely firm, but the bike stops well. Went on a short ride to get gas. Today was prettt good.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Strife posted:

For maybe the second time since owning this motorcycle, I washed it.

Shiny!

Strife posted:

gently caress everything with a carburetor

Amen.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Strife posted:

gently caress everything with a carburetor

:catstare:

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Anything's a carburetor if you're brave enough.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

"Why do you have to zip up your pants every time you get off that hog, Travis," Punchy said

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

I recently revived a carb on a bike that had been sitting since 2012.

apparently they had the good fortune to fill it up with gas from a place that was pure gas and no ethanol and as a result it was squeaky clean aside from the little bit of unevaporated gas in the bottom of the bowl.

Nice reminder that there was a time when not everything was guaranteed to not start after sitting for while.

Also love stabil in all my winterized bikes. When I started adding that every season my spring time bike starting dance got a lot easier. god bless you black magic chemical additives.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
I opened up the carb on my GN to make sure it didn't have some weird jetting when I was diagnosing its' weird idle and stalling problems and despite being corroded and rusty on the outside it looked brand new on the inside.

It turns out that it was almost entirely related to the arcing spark plug cap.

Now I'm convinced that 90% of "carbs are hard, I can't figure this out, black magic voodoo etc" is just something completely unrelated to fueling

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Dog Case posted:

I opened up the carb on my GN to make sure it didn't have some weird jetting when I was diagnosing its' weird idle and stalling problems and despite being corroded and rusty on the outside it looked brand new on the inside.

It turns out that it was almost entirely related to the arcing spark plug cap.

Now I'm convinced that 90% of "carbs are hard, I can't figure this out, black magic voodoo etc" is just something completely unrelated to fueling

When you think it's spark it's probably fuel and vice versa. Very, very old wisdom.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the venturi starts out wide but gets tighter as you go deeper

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Mine has a guillotine style slide so either lock that throttle open or ...

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Not quite Faraway blue(gotta love paint shade names), but it's not visible with the fairings on. I've found a supplier of the correct paint for touching up actual visible areas. There is also red primer below it.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
Today I hit a rock on my KLX and it snapped the skid plate in half.

Not sure why Kawasaki sells a $30 plastic skid plate but maybe they intend it as a wear item. I guess I'm buying a metal one.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I mean. It did its job assuming the rock didn’t hit your engine case.

:rip: lil plastic skid plate

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
lol get an ikea cutting board and form it with a heatgun. drill some mounting holes and sendit.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I have one of those sitting in my garage to serve as a skid plate for my sons crf70. Just gotta get around to installing it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

cursedshitbox posted:

lol get an ikea cutting board and form it with a heatgun. drill some mounting holes and sendit.

This sounds like a joke so just for clarity: this is not a joke, they are the best skid plate you can buy, aftermarket accessories are only very lately getting to plastic chopping board level.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

cursedshitbox posted:

yup, works fine. I've had mine for 2 years. also a nice flat surface for the engine lift.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
alternatively just get a skid plate from enduro engineering that doesn't make it look like you bought your bike from goodwill

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Razzled posted:

alternatively just get a skid plate from enduro engineering that doesn't make it look like you bought your bike from goodwill

Its a kawi not a ktm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Razzled posted:

Why would you pay hundreds for something that works worse