Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Nuns with Guns posted:

The mess around 4e is actually funnier and more multilayered than that. Let me see if I can run off a few of the compounding disasters around its launch and lifecycle by memory:

1. Pretty much everything in D&D 3e's core rulebooks outside of art and a few monsters are free and open-source under the Open Gaming License. This was part of a schema cooked up by a notoriously hare-brained guy to make 3e D&D/d20 rules pervasive. It did work for a while but it set up the inevitable problem that anyone could go and reprint a lot of things wholesale as they see fit if Wizards of the Coast decided to, say, stop doing it themselves.

2. Like Mandalore alludes to, but kind of misrepresents, Paizo created Pathfinder as a kind of 3.75e of D&D. They did this because they'd set themselves up as the premiere 2nd/3rd party publisher for 3rd edition D&D supplements and adventures, often better than what WotC produced. They actually managed and published both Dungeon magazine and Dragon magazine for WotC during 3e's life cycle. When converting to 4e, WotC cut off that contract. They also said that anyone who wanted to publish 4th edition 3rd party supplements had to stop publishing 3rd edition stuff. 4th edition has a lot more granular work that needs to go into designing major supplemental things like classes and adventures, and it was strange and different anyway. So Paizo decided to just cater to the people who didn't want to convert because that was money lying on the table, and WotC effectively empowered and created their own worst rival business. It was also in Paizo's best interests to spin themselves as the "saviors of true D&D" and fan dumb edition warring in various ways because of that.

3. Either right before or just around when 4th edition was being finalized, they signed a deal giving Atari sole rights to create and publish D&D video games. Atari proceeded to squat on the rights for 90% of 4th edition's life cycle, and it was only extracted from them after a legal fight riiight near the end. So a middling Facebook game was squirted out and promptly forgotten.

4. There was a whole suite of online resources and digital tabletop things that were going to be rolled out for 4th edition in-house. They got a character creator going and an online rules reference. Then the entire project was derailed when the lead dev committed murder-suicide.

5. There was a lot of internal power-jockeying and yearly mandates to fire a certain number of people on the D&D team, winnowing it down to a few holdouts who could do whatever they wanted. So the few people left in charge just kind of fiddle with the rules a bit to remake 4e in their own image, then rapidly phased to developing 5e after that didn't work out.

6. And while all that was going on 4e was actually a really good system!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
https://twitter.com/ichika_mo/status/1395328155313868801

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

Nuns with Guns posted:

2. Like Mandalore alludes to, but kind of misrepresents, Paizo created Pathfinder as a kind of 3.75e of D&D. They did this because they'd set themselves up as the premiere 2nd/3rd party publisher for 3rd edition D&D supplements and adventures, often better than what WotC produced. They actually managed and published both Dungeon magazine and Dragon magazine for WotC during 3e's life cycle. When converting to 4e, WotC cut off that contract. They also said that anyone who wanted to publish 4th edition 3rd party supplements had to stop publishing 3rd edition stuff. 4th edition has a lot more granular work that needs to go into designing major supplemental things like classes and adventures, and it was strange and different anyway. So Paizo decided to just cater to the people who didn't want to convert because that was money lying on the table, and WotC effectively empowered and created their own worst rival business. It was also in Paizo's best interests to spin themselves as the "saviors of true D&D" and fan dumb edition warring in various ways because of that.

Sweet tapdancing jesus this explains so, so much about how little staying power 4e has in the cultural memory. Like this is just straight up "did Wizards WANT this to fail" tiers of self-sabotage.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

fun hater posted:

dropping a bomb in here as a last means resort to destroy snyderchat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezeLRspmKn8

e: AGE RESTRICTED??????? THE PEOPLE SHOULD KNOW THE TRUTH YOUTUBE

This rules. Truth-iricy is my new favorite word. I hope this guy didn't shoot a bunch of people.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I hope this guy didn't shoot a bunch of people.

the biggest mood when it comes to outsider art lmfao

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

This rules. Truth-iricy is my new favorite word. I hope this guy didn't shoot a bunch of people.

the original video was much, MUCH longer (20+ mins) and it loving ruled and i never thought to downloa dit and then youtube nuked his account for understandable reasons even if this video is literally the best video ever made?

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

When I bought my 3.X edition of the rules it came with a character creator. The horrific murder-suicide of the computer team does explain why the 4th edition did not come with any extras. D =

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/InnuendoStudios/status/1396145296212647936?s=20

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Can Luffy beat up superman

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Twincityhacker posted:

When I bought my 3.X edition of the rules it came with a character creator. The horrific murder-suicide of the computer team does explain why the 4th edition did not come with any extras. D =

I think the distinction is that 4E was where they wanted to go all-in on the holy grail of "everyone just goes online and everything is easily accessible right there and maybe you can even play the whole game online with minimal fuss". Which I'm pretty sure even now isn't really a thing yet, though I haven't payed close attention to D&D for years.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

roll20, forge, and syncrpg are all attempts to reach that at varying points. Which would probably be there if they were trying for just one system they owned instead of going for every rpg people want to play online.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Violet_Sky posted:

Can Luffy beat up superman

He can kill him with his stench.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

John Murdoch posted:

I think the distinction is that 4E was where they wanted to go all-in on the holy grail of "everyone just goes online and everything is easily accessible right there and maybe you can even play the whole game online with minimal fuss". Which I'm pretty sure even now isn't really a thing yet, though I haven't payed close attention to D&D for years.

people are absolutely playing the hell out of D&D entirely online at this point, but not thanks to anything wizards did.

Discord+roll20/tabletop simulator give you all the pieces you need to do it

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Arcsquad12 posted:

He can kill him with his stench.

i dont think superman smells that bad

watho
Aug 2, 2013

yeah i’m pretty sure it’s batman who smells

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
These days you can get versions of the D&D books to run in most of the popular virtual tabletops so you can just have everything right in the program and searchable, and even drag and drop spells and equipment onto character sheets. Pathfinder and other major games are also pretty good about this, to varying degrees of support.

Most other games will at least have an official character sheet for use in Roll20.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Luffy and Superman would be bros. They wouldn't fight because they have no reason to

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Wasn't a big criticism of 4E that it was too combat focused and left the social aspects undercooked or something?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

the new multidimensional dc turbovillain, the batman who smells

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Jamie Faith posted:

Luffy and Superman would be bros. They wouldn't fight because they have no reason to

All it takes is putting them in a fighting game. People are always ready to tear each other's heads off for the slightest transgression in those, like they've all got road rage 24/7

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

Jimbot posted:

Wasn't a big criticism of 4E that it was too combat focused and left the social aspects undercooked or something?

This is a fairly accurate statement, but it also happens to be true about every other edition of D&D as well, so it's a bit disingenuous to leverage it at 4e in particular like it's a new problem.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
A lot of criticisms of 4E were totally applicable to earlier versions but people just houseruled them to hell and back so perspective was a bit skewed

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Vanguard Warden posted:

This is a fairly accurate statement, but it also happens to be true about every other edition of D&D as well, so it's a bit disingenuous to leverage it at 4e in particular like it's a new problem.

4th ed makes no pretenses about being anything other than a good dungeon crawler/combat game, which made it a pariah among a certain subset of players that love pretenses and hate good games.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
There is nothing wrong with wanting to roleplay in DnD I say.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Goa Tse-tung posted:

6. And while all that was going on 4e was actually a really good system!

I like 4e, and while it has flaws I think most of those are things it inherited from 3e or are applicable to D&D in general. :):

Twincityhacker posted:

The murder-suicide was the e-tools project lead killing his wife (they might've been divorced, can't recall) and himself, not the rest of the team. But I imagine it's a hard job to recruit for when people of that skill level could probably find better pay in a million tech jobs.

CmdrKing posted:

Sweet tapdancing jesus this explains so, so much about how little staying power 4e has in the cultural memory. Like this is just straight up "did Wizards WANT this to fail" tiers of self-sabotage.

D&D is interesting because like, it's a notable IP in the public consciousness, but it was only seen as marketable and profitable enough to have any care or strategy put into marketing it and rolling out new things in like the past 5 years. And only because independent streaming and actual play groups made it successful.

John Murdoch posted:

5e has D&D Insider now, which seems pretty successful, and direct support of adventures and tools on roll20. 4e was right that online play is the future. It was just Dreamcast-tier ahead of its time.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Jamie Faith posted:

They'd be friends but only after a brief scuffle based on a misunderstanding where Supes is immediately wary of a group of superpowered pirates and Luffy thinks that the Justice League works for the World Government ate his meat or something.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Wasn't the actual problem with 4E was that it's design aped video games a little too hard and made it so you had to keep track of a million things and made turns go on for way too long?

Like this video demonstrates:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpmUxfS4LF8

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Neo_Crimson posted:

Wasn't the actual problem with 4E was that it's design aped video games a little too hard and made it so you had to keep track of a million things and made turns go on for way too long?

No, that's the bad faith criticisms that also applied to every edition that had been released before 4e. When 3.0 came out the bad faith criticism was that it was aping Diablo

As someone who's favorite edition is 3.5, that edition was worse about fiddly bonuses than 4E

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Neo_Crimson posted:

Keeping track of a million things making turns take forever is just baked into D&D. 4th ed's sin was recognizing this and giving them trackable categories and key words that made them easier to keep track of but brough ti to nerds attention that they were there. 4th ed's problems were never actually mechanical but all in breaking nerd illusions about what they were playing.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Jimbot posted:

Social aspects of D&D are: 1. Freeform rp ungoverned by the rules. 2. Bluff/diplomacy/intimidation or another skill check. 3. Casting an ambiguously ethical mind control or persuasion-boosting spell to make someone do something. 4e still allows for all of this. 4e-undercooked noncombat thing was the idea of Skill Challenges to try to make skill checks interesting. The final version of those rules is alright but I don't know if it succeed at making skill checks consistently interesting.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
4E has basically exactly the same level of non-combat interactions that aren't based on spells just skipping that part entirely, which a lot of those spells were removed or made more limited. That unfortunately exposed how much of dealing with non combat stuff in previous editions was based on being able to cast a spell to ignore it entirely

If you want to slam on 4E for something, it did a good job of actually making a good combat system but mostly just kept the same base non combat system as every other edition

Piell fucked around with this message at 19:06 on May 22, 2021

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Some people just don't like having things in tabletop that they could imagine on their hotbars in an MMO.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The strength of the non-combat seconds of D&D for pretty much any edition are almost entirely reliant on the GM and the players themselves. A GM telling a good story with interesting characters who's willing to give rewards or leeway to players who work to engage with that out of combat don't really need much there mechanically to bolster a fun social dynamic to the adventure. If the GM is uninterested or if the players don't do anything but grunt at NPC's about quests or "I roll for charisma" then poo poo's gonna suck even if a robust mechanical system is being used.

Spoony did a really good Counter Monkey episode back in the day about how if you're GM'ing you should never let your players get away with poo poo like "I roll for bluff" to get out of a situation. They have to actually, you know, roleplay their character trying to bluff and the GM can force dice rolls as they see fit. And hey, if it's a loving phenomenal bluff plan, maybe don't roll at all and just let the player have a well earned victory.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
It’s interesting the way that Pathfinder was made so that Paizo could keep selling adventures. I think the adventures are probably the best part of Pathfinder 1e, they really play to the game’s strengths. I can’t imagine dming a custom game in Pathfinder 1e, but I’d absolutely dm the Pathfinder Society scenarios or the longer adventures they put out, those were often a blast

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I like rolling for bluff or whatever because much as a strength check lets me roleplay someone stronger than I am, a diplomacy check lets me play as someone more charismatic than I am.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Was 4e the one that gave us Bear Lore or was that some 3.5 supplemental? I think it might have actually been the latter but I'm not sure.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Was 4e the one that gave us Bear Lore or was that some 3.5 supplemental? I think it might have actually been the latter but I'm not sure.
4th but it was a continuation of late 3.5 monster formatting.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
4e's tactical grid combat would probably be better received now as an alternative to all the RP-first games for people who just wanna crack a beer and blugeon some kobolds and goblins without contemplation on the ethics of being an itinerant professional graverobber. Especially since everyone plays on a VTT now which can handle all the extra calculations, grid measurements, and fiddly modifiers without the players trying to figure it out when they're 4 hours in and got too high again.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Sydin posted:

Spoony did a really good Counter Monkey episode back in the day about how if you're GM'ing you should never let your players get away with poo poo like "I roll for bluff" to get out of a situation. They have to actually, you know, roleplay their character trying to bluff and the GM can force dice rolls as they see fit. And hey, if it's a loving phenomenal bluff plan, maybe don't roll at all and just let the player have a well earned victory.

That's best way to do it if you can manage it but it being a good idea really depends on the group. I usually GM for a group of socially awkward nerds putting them on the spot like that will probably just make them clam up and discourage them from trying more social stuff. If you can roleplay a character who is strong without going to the gym you should also be able to roleplay a witty charismatic guy while not being one.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 19:39 on May 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Andrast posted:

That being a good idea really depends on the group. I usually GM for a group of socially awkward nerds putting them on the spot like that will probably just make them clam up and discourage them from trying more social stuff. If you can roleplay a character who is strong without going to the gym you should also be able to roleplay a witty charismatic guy while not being one.
The middle point is to ask them do describe what their character is doing, rather than actually acting it out. Leaves more wiggle room for not knowing quite what to say.