Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Classy Devil posted:

It's utterly bewildering at times, and I actually paused a few minutes in to episode five to check if Netflix had somehow skipped a few episodes because I felt like I had missed a ton of events.

Lol, I did the exact same thing because I was sure it had somehow skipped episode 5. But yeah there are scenes where you're supposed to feel bad when characters die but you also don't really get to spend any time with those characters so who cares?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Got to season 4 on my Venture Bros rewatch. I never saw this season! Sgt Hatred is an interesting character, audacious of them to make his urges a continuing part of the show. Though I suppose it’s a natural place to mine for comedy in a series about former boy adventurers. The Captain Sunshine episode was both hilarious and disgusting and also maybe a bit problematic for the way it equated pride symbols like rainbows on his costume with pedophilia.

The Monarch, Dr. Girlfriend/Mrs. The Monarch and Henchman 21 continue to be delightful. The show is becoming more and more reliant on its continuity in this season instead of being stand alone. Also far fewer female characters Hank and Dean’s age for them to interact with which is kind of shame, they’ve done funny stuff with that in the past.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Ccs posted:

Got to season 4 on my Venture Bros rewatch. I never saw this season! Sgt Hatred is an interesting character, audacious of them to make his urges a continuing part of the show. Though I suppose it’s a natural place to mine for comedy in a series about former boy adventurers. The Captain Sunshine episode was both hilarious and disgusting and also maybe a bit problematic for the way it equated pride symbols like rainbows on his costume with pedophilia.

The Monarch, Dr. Girlfriend/Mrs. The Monarch and Henchman 21 continue to be delightful. The show is becoming more and more reliant on its continuity in this season instead of being stand alone. Also far fewer female characters Hank and Dean’s age for them to interact with which is kind of shame, they’ve done funny stuff with that in the past.

I've talked about this in the past before but what makes Sgt Hatred work is that 1) they did a retcon that his pedophilia is artificially induced due to the Super Soldier formula he was exposed to, and 2) they make it very clear that he despises that aspect of himself very deeply

Also the joke with Captain Sunshine is that he comes off like a pedo but he's actually just a manchild

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

Also the joke with Captain Sunshine is that he comes off like a pedo but he's actually just a manchild

He kisses Dean on the lips though before Dean goes back to his family.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It's a Godfather reference.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The other day was trying to think of the name of a show I couldn't remember but then I realized that thanks to the power of search engines all I had to do was type "worst animated fox show" to get the name.

Basically what I'm asking is when is the Allen Gregory reboot happening?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

WarnerMedia is being sold to Discovery Networks, the new aqua teen movie is just gonna be 90 minutes of low budget house flipping.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

If you're posturing that as a bad thing I do not understand why.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

All I care about is a good Venture Bros movie.

I watched all of Season 4 yesterday. Oh man the prom episode. It's a pity I hear the Triad doesn't show up as much in the later seasons, they were great this time.

It's kind of crazy how much Rick and Morty owes to Venture Bros, though I suppose they're all riffing off of the same pop culture. There's a lot of throwaway gags in Venture Bros that would be expanded into full episodes in R&M (like the women turning into mantises at the prom at the end of Season 4, which was a much bigger part of an R&M episode years later.)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A lot of the Adult Swim shows draw from the same well of genre parody and exploring the bits of standard sci-fi concepts that get all the more hosed up the more you think about them.

Captain Sunshine is a funny example given the Michael Jackson riffs (and pretty sure that part of the joke is a reference to Captain Eo) but the prolonged joke is that the superhero lifestyle has left him with really poor ideas of personal boundaries and decency. (One of the takes on Michael Jackson before more accusers came out to pretty much confirm he was a predator and not just really messed up)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I've mentioned this before somewhere but after having followed the arc of pop culture deconstructing the superhero concept through parody, back through VB and Harvey Birdman to Space Ghost to The Tick to Watchmen, I'm surprised there's anything left to dig out of it. The wild success of the MCU seems to suggest that the straight-faced version was due for its comeback, but now we've had so much of the parody version that it's had its own generational turnover (Birdgirl, Deadpool, the Tick reboot, plus the VB movie). "Parody superhero" seems to be its own fully fledged genre now, and I can only assume it's time to deconstruct it somehow

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
We did that poo poo back in the 90’s with Freakazoid, Blankman, Meteorman and Sgt. Kabukiman… Hell maybe even Darkman

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Too Much Coffee Man

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Alhazred posted:

Well, you're poo poo out of luck then. Season 2 is so devoid of new ideas that it has the same plot twice: maintenance robots going bad and trying to kill the human protagonist.

The one with the train and the tall grass was so loving uninspired and by the numbers.

I was waiting for some twist to bring it together and make the previous 11 minutes worth watching, but it never came.

EDIT - but I have to give props to the Xmas one. That's the poo poo I signed up for.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 13:41 on May 19, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Venture Bros does superhero parody more incidentally, given it covers a broader set of 'genres' with its characters critiquing escapist media in general (perhaps specifically pulp adventure and its descendants) and specifically focusing on how hosed up someone has to be and how hosed up it'll make them to engage in that kind of violent lifestyle.

There's a reason the new DuckTales gets called 'G-rated Venture Bros' since it's basically a less ironic take on one of the grand-daddies of kid-aimed pulp adventure fiction (the inspiration for Indiana Jones) and quite naturally ends up with a lot of overlapping themes.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Also when Ducktales visits the superhero genre, they pretty much drop all pretense of self-awareness or attempting to subvert genre expectations, which is weird considering how much of a parody the original Darkwing Duck was.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Megillah Gorilla posted:

EDIT - but I have to give props to the Xmas one. That's the poo poo I signed up for.

That one is legit. But one great (short) episode out of eight isn't that good.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Agreed. With the first season of Love Death Robots, even the ones which weren't that great I felt like they were still worth my time. It's like someone told the creators of season 2 to aim for poignant and pointless, while the first season they just said, "Go loving wild."

What was even the point of the last one with the giant?

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Looks like Smiling Friends got officially picked up by Adult swim. More cutesack and zach! Possibly more Mike v.o who knows

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Looks like Smiling Friends got officially picked up by Adult swim. More cutesack and zach! Possibly more Mike v.o who knows

I'm really excited for this. Thought 'YOLO: Crystal Fantasy' was very good but the 'Smiling Friends' pilot episode was fantastic. Just one step closer to AS picking up a 'Damo and Darren' series in a few years time...

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Agreed. With the first season of Love Death Robots, even the ones which weren't that great I felt like they were still worth my time. It's like someone told the creators of season 2 to aim for poignant and pointless, while the first season they just said, "Go loving wild."

What was even the point of the last one with the giant?

The point was a dick joke, I'm pretty sure.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

masterpine posted:

I'm really excited for this. Thought 'YOLO: Crystal Fantasy' was very good but the 'Smiling Friends' pilot episode was fantastic. Just one step closer to AS picking up a 'Damo and Darren' series in a few years time...

I dont think Damo and Darren can exist outside of youtube. I woulda argued its hilariously Australian but then they made YOLO and Bushworld adventures. So idk.

We all got ciggie butt brains

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/mymixtapez/status/1395365327878463491?s=21
As with most topics covered in passing by Dan Harmon and Justin Roiland’s Rick And Morty, alien superheroes The Vindicators found themselves judged by Rick Sanchez and, ultimately, found wanting. (Morty found them kind of cool, though, at least until all the murders started.) Now viewers will be able to make their own decisions about the team on a more-than-a-single-episode-that’s-also-weirdly-a-Saw-parody basis, as Adult Swim announced today that The Vindicators is one of four web-only new TV projects it’s developing, including spin-offs of Robot Chicken, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, and Your Pretty Face Is Going To Hell.

Meanwhile, three other spin-offs are also in the works: Alabama Jackson, a time travel adventure created by and starring Donald Faison, working with the Robot Chicken team; Aquadonk Side Pieces, an Aqua Teens spin-off exploring the lives of minor characters like the Mooninites and The Cybernetic Ghost Of Christmas Past; and Your Pretty Face Is Going To Hell: The Animated Series, which sounds a lot like Your Pretty Face Is Going To Hell, but, y’know, animated.

https://tv.avclub.com/rick-and-mortys-crappy-superheroes-are-getting-their-ow-1846931080

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Barf

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

When are they making a new The Big Lez Show

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
The new Adventure Time episode is really good and funny and a little sad. it also seems to open a possibility of a reboot

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Are the Adventure Time specials something I can just jump into? I fell off the last few seasons and never bothered going back and watching them.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Electric Phantasm posted:

Are the Adventure Time specials something I can just jump into? I fell off the last few seasons and never bothered going back and watching them.

Yeah, they're pretty much all disconnected from any of the main story stuff. I think the only things that reference the story are that Finn has a robot arm and PB and Marcy are back together.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I finished watching The Venture Bros. Great stuff. The 2 seasons in NYC aren’t my favourite but it was necessary for the show to refresh itself a bit. The show was absolutely firing on all cylinders during seasons 4 and 5, culminating in All This and Gargantua 2, which is probably the gold standard of the series for me. But it remained high quality to the end and I’m very glad it will get a movie to tie everything up.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Ccs posted:

I finished watching The Venture Bros. Great stuff. The 2 seasons in NYC aren’t my favourite but it was necessary for the show to refresh itself a bit. The show was absolutely firing on all cylinders during seasons 4 and 5, culminating in All This and Gargantua 2, which is probably the gold standard of the series for me. But it remained high quality to the end and I’m very glad it will get a movie to tie everything up.

Really? I thought All This and Gargantua 2 was the nadir of the series. Lots of unfunny jokes including unnecessary callbacks to really funny jokes. It also didn't get the balance right between comedy and serious drama. Its basically the type of episode that appears when a TV series is going on too long. The series did manage to recover from it fortunately.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

I dont think Damo and Darren can exist outside of youtube. I woulda argued its hilariously Australian but then they made YOLO and Bushworld adventures. So idk.

We all got ciggie butt brains

I'm pretty sure they're all in the same universe. Don't Damo and Darren show up in Captain Koala?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Really? I thought All This and Gargantua 2 was the nadir of the series. Lots of unfunny jokes including unnecessary callbacks to really funny jokes. It also didn't get the balance right between comedy and serious drama. Its basically the type of episode that appears when a TV series is going on too long. The series did manage to recover from it fortunately.

They had been teasing Gargantua 2 for ages and they had all these plot threads in place that they needed to tie up, and that episode managed all of it while giving appropriate time to every character and reintroducing a few in funny ways. The show would’ve been a mess of lingering and ultimately annoying mysteries without that episode.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm pretty sure they're all in the same universe. Don't Damo and Darren show up in Captain Koala?

I have to go on a deep dive into the old videos but i believe you

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Last few episodes of Final Space have really found a groove, the soundtrack is hitting all those Mass Effect type vibes.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Does the Great North need its own thread? I want to complain how lacklustre it is.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The_Doctor posted:

Does the Great North need its own thread? I want to complain how lacklustre it is.

Can't you just do that here? Also I agree with you, but I did like the vibes of the final episode:

Everyone is terrified that the estranged mother is going to show up and ruin the wedding, but she doesn't show up and the wedding is perfect but they're left with a kind of slight sadness that the terrible mom didn't even bother to come. Like, yeah, that's a mood. Not wanting a horrible parent around, then feeling sad when they're not around because it's a reminder that they just don't care. But instead of focusing on that you focuses on all the people in your life who did show up because they love you and you can share your happiness with them.

Also, Duncanville continues to be good. The most recent episode revolving around telling your dad to gently caress off was surprisingly sweet and wholesome.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Yes Duncanville was very good.

Swearing at your dad in front of your friends and then running away in a panic is also a mood.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Can't you just do that here? Also I agree with you, but I did like the vibes of the final episode:

Everyone is terrified that the estranged mother is going to show up and ruin the wedding, but she doesn't show up and the wedding is perfect but they're left with a kind of slight sadness that the terrible mom didn't even bother to come. Like, yeah, that's a mood. Not wanting a horrible parent around, then feeling sad when they're not around because it's a reminder that they just don't care. But instead of focusing on that you focuses on all the people in your life who did show up because they love you and you can share your happiness with them.

Also, Duncanville continues to be good. The most recent episode revolving around telling your dad to gently caress off was surprisingly sweet and wholesome.

I've only watched Great North up to the bigfoot episode so far (ep 8). It's not exactly been funny so far, and there's never any real challenges the characters face, but I appreciate the near relentless dumb optimism they all have. I think the best bit so far was Ham's recollections of seeing Shrek. I did point out to my housemate that the 'quirky small Alaskan town full of nutcases' thing means this show is just an animated Northern Exposure.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The_Doctor posted:

I've only watched Great North up to the bigfoot episode so far (ep 8). It's not exactly been funny so far, and there's never any real challenges the characters face, but I appreciate the near relentless dumb optimism they all have. I think the best bit so far was Ham's recollections of seeing Shrek. I did point out to my housemate that the 'quirky small Alaskan town full of nutcases' thing means this show is just an animated Northern Exposure.

Agreed, whatever Ham thought Shrek was has been the highlight of the show so far.

Another highlight for me: The Grownup Zone song from the Bigfoot episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Finally got caught up on Duncanville and drat I haaaaated the election episode. Though to it's credit I hate like 98% of sitcom election episodes for very similar reasons.

Basically, my complaints boil down to 3 main points:

1) The show is subtly trying to do a Trump/Hillary thing while fundamentally misdiagnosing why Hillary lost. She didn't lose because she was just too mature and cool while Trump was promising everybody a pony. She lost because she was a conservative psychopath who offered nothing and as a result a lot of left leaning people stayed home. It was a very SNL take on the election.

2) Once in power Duncan just does whatever people want without question which is framed as wildly irresponsible and ultimately dooms the school. Despite the show's ostensibly liberal outlook this is actually a super conservative message and frankly it made me very uncomfortable to watch. Seriously, what's the takeaway from this storyline other than "democracy is bad and people can't be trusted to self govern"? Not to mention the fact that NOBODY in politics actually runs on just giving everybody everything they want and EVERYBODY understands that there are limits to what's possible with the government. If anything people wildly underestimate how much is possible. Hell, is there ~anybody~ in our blighted political hellscape who does anything on behalf of normal people these days? Frankly I'd kill for a few people with Duncan's attitude to be in power. The entire premise of the episode is literally the "tax and spend" liberal fantasy you see peddled daily on Fox News repackaged for liberals. It's super gross. Oh, and DONALD TRUMP DID NOT JUST GIVE EVERYBODY WHAT THEY WANTED ONCE IN OFFICE. HE WAS A CON MAN WHO DID NOTHING FOR NORMAL PEOPLE BUT INSTEAD ROBBED THE COUNTRY AND GAVE THE SPOILS TO HIS RICH FRIENDS! THIS WAS LESS THAN A YEAR AGO WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU AAAAAAAAAAAAHHH! *tears out several fistfuls of hair*

3) The flossing bear gag just screamed "old people trying to stick it to a youth culture they don't understand" and somebody thought it was a good idea to make the whole plot hinge on it. These parts were even more painful to get through than all the bad political commentary.

Anyways other than that the show is pretty good and I'm really enjoying season 2. I strongly recommend it for anybody who likes stuff like Bob's Burgers.