Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Hatebag posted:

Tardigrades only date from 145 mya though, and they eat other earth things. They are cool as hell, but they're basically progenitors of arthropod evolution. They gave rise to a bunch of different gross bugs and they survived all the previous mass extinctions

Well I didn't know all that so now I'm back on the ground

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Inspector Hound posted:

Well I didn't know all that so now I'm back on the ground

There's might be life on venus but life going from earth to venus is not likely because not much life is going to both survive hard vacuum/radiation and be adaptable to a different planet. I think there could be indigenous life on venus though

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

nah its lil space piggies hitchin a ride on cosmic shroom spores

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Maybe somebody shot an encapsulated tardigrade bullet to venus 140M years ago, I don't know what was going on then

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Hatebag posted:

Maybe somebody shot an encapsulated tardigrade bullet to venus 140M years ago, I don't know what was going on then

My uncle was there, he said I can't show anyone though

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Hatebag posted:

the resulting impact is what caused all the xenon 129

Beard Dandruff
May 10, 2017

Want to win a consultation with Tiffany? Click
here.

LRADIKAL posted:

I CAN DO WHATEVER I WANT!

Man did we accidentally open up some sort of time portal, because poo poo like this brings me back.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Hatebag posted:

actually what happened was that one of those things landed on earth 65M years ago and it burrowed to the core of the earth then directed human evolution to suit its own ends

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Shear Modulus posted:

actually what happened was that one of those things landed on earth 65M years ago and it burrowed to the core of the earth then directed human evolution to suit its own ends

Ah, the furtive pygmy, and the abyss that he spawned

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

huh...the furtive pygmy did kinda resemble lavos...

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

There have been several major impacts and who knows how many small ones in the last 145 million years, and the one that killed the dinosaurs apparently hit hard enough to blow parts of Earth off into space...

e this article frames it stupidly as "there's dinosaur bones on the moon," but the point is the same

Hirsute
May 4, 2007
I watched some ufo thing last night with interviews with the kids in Zimbabwe. I definitely felt like they had been coached or influenced to say the stuff about the aliens warning them to protect the planet, just from the way they talked about it and their body language, but they seemed pretty believable about the ufo itself.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Well, experiments on manos, the man were what caused the abyss. Who knows what time that was, records were spotty at best

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

hey how bout that one time they ran down john mack in the street cause he let the abduction proles onto harvard yard? you might say he picked the wrong disorder to be prince of. :smug:

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

Shear Modulus posted:

:monocle: my god that's an even better explanation for the recent unsettling methane spikes that the climate thread was getting fussed up about. it's not the CH4 bubble under the siberian traps. what we're seeing is increased biological CH4 emissions from the Tardigrade-Alpha-Prime who's been snoozing at the earth's core, now that it has reached adulthood and is beginning to stir.

oh sure LRADICKAL might beg to disagree but loving 2001s you know.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Gravid Topiary posted:

:monocle: my god that's an even better explanation for the recent unsettling methane spikes that the climate thread was getting fussed up about. it's not the CH4 bubble under the siberian traps. what we're seeing is increased biological CH4 emissions from the Tardigrade-Alpha-Prime who's been snoozing at the earth's core, now that it has reached adulthood and is beginning to stir.

the timeline doesn't line up though it's 22 years too late

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Ok ok it's not tardigrades

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Gravid Topiary posted:

If you had a single, god drat inkling of the 90's, you'd know a Chrono Trigger reference when you saw one.

fake edit; beaten

Hirsute
May 4, 2007
ah yes the tard farts theory of climate change

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Vermain posted:

i've lately been thinking about the rare earth hypothesis and have been wondering if the converse might be true: maybe the reason we haven't spotted other, intelligent life is simply that the milky way is a loving statistical basket case and every other galaxy looks like your average game of stellaris

we're that one solar system with no hyperlanes and you have to find a specific wormhole to travel to it. Only 1/100 galactic civs have discovered the wormhole tech so far which adds up to 4-5 unique visitor races

we just gotta find the Psychotic avatar(kissinger) and destroy it for them to safely introduce themselves.

Ross DaouThot
Aug 31, 2018

when i hit that loud and open cspam the adam curtis music starts playing

fanfic insert posted:

we're that one solar system with no hyperlanes and you have to find a specific wormhole to travel to it. Only 1/100 galactic civs have discovered the wormhole tech so far which adds up to 4-5 unique visitor races

we just gotta find the Psychotic avatar(kissinger) and destroy it for them to safely introduce themselves.

i feel like i’m in entirely uncharted mental health territory that poo poo like this is just passing, unedited, directly into my worldview until proven otherwise

Ross DaouThot
Aug 31, 2018

the proximity of this disclosure to the first successful recovery of spacex’s starship is sus as gently caress

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Ross DaouThot posted:

the proximity of this disclosure to the first successful recovery of spacex’s starship is sus as gently caress

they finally landed one? lol

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans
One of the inherit truths of the universe is that Space jam is real and we have to do it every 2000ish years.

One of the biggest lies the universe has ever told us is that cartoons are real and Bugs Bunny is on the team.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Ross DaouThot posted:

This is all just the MIC pushing the next cold war with China since they've basically caught up militarily and technologically with the US and and now certain powerful people are rubbing their grubby hands together with glee at the prospect of being able to pretend The Inscrutable Oriental is the source of all our problems, and of all the death and money they'll make. That the US happens to have a rich guy deliberately making GBS threads all over the current spaceflight oligopoly at the same time is a hilarious coincidence that those people are glad to exploit, since otherwise the legacy launch providers are arguably too deep into grifting multi-billion dollar government contracts at this point to pose credible competition to China's burgeoning space program without having a fire lit under their asses

Ross DaouThot
Aug 31, 2018

Tighclops posted:

This is all just the MIC pushing the next cold war with China since they've basically caught up militarily and technologically with the US and and now certain powerful people are rubbing their grubby hands together with glee at the prospect of being able to pretend The Inscrutable Oriental is the source of all our problems, and of all the death and money they'll make. That the US happens to have a rich guy deliberately making GBS threads all over the current spaceflight oligopoly at the same time is a hilarious coincidence that those people are glad to exploit, since otherwise the legacy launch providers are arguably too deep into grifting multi-billion dollar government contracts at this point to pose credible competition to China's burgeoning space program without having a fire lit under their asses

all of this completely checks out, however what was this UAP plan, like a break in case of emergency thing? elon was planted by the agency a long time ago mostly to get starlink up there, did they also feel they needed a backup plan if they ever had to wrestle united launch alliance off of the teat?

as far as cold war 2, i think they went for the best rhetorical analogue they could making spacex this plucky underdog that won in the american launch “free market” by under bidding and “innovating”, even though it’s now explicitly another wing of NASA/the govt and has actually been for a long time financially

Ross DaouThot has issued a correction as of 14:11 on May 22, 2021

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Ross DaouThot posted:

i feel like i’m in entirely uncharted mental health territory that poo poo like this is just passing, unedited, directly into my worldview until proven otherwise

That's because you're the main character in this story that is going to save everyone

Hatebag posted:

he is like a stray duckling hissing at a daisy

:eyepop: lmao

Ross DaouThot
Aug 31, 2018

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

That's because you're the main character in this story that is going to save everyone

hey now, with the amount of jungian synchronicity i’ve observed in my life in the last 5 years this is like giving heroin to a toddler

come to think of it i think i began slowly derealizing ever since i played SOMA, seeing that i had the same name and nationality as the protagonist in a game about consciousness uploads and the nature of memory, and that the woman he spoke to in the opening cutscene had the same name as my girlfriend

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

phosphine on Venus ain't dead https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1029/2020GL091327

the Martian puffballs are just rocks but when I was a kid I saw a guy talk at my local library about how the face on Mars and other structures in Cydonia are just like Mesoamerican architecture and that the Martians likely fled their dying planet to come to earth and build step pyramids and poo poo, and that's probably true. He wrote a book about it, with pictures.

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Maximo Roboto posted:

Tibetan snow apes were a common attraction at the Ming Emperors' menageries and a whole treasure junk carrying them was grounded ashore off the Strait of Juan de Fuca while blown off course en route to the Mixtec kingdoms

thats right

Ross DaouThot
Aug 31, 2018

what i really wanna know is what does paul stamets think about the fungi on mars

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
lol

just started to notice the pictures of Clinton and Reno in Skinners office on the xfiles

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Post more creepy as gently caress alien gifs.
That one where the alien pokes its head out from behind the wall and pulls it back several pages ago has always been one of my favorites.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

now loving harry reid has an oped in NYT about all this. i do not understand the press push

Reid has been a big alien guy for decades, a lot of the reports we've seen have been from poo poo he's either been involved with or helped get started. The original UFO report was from a committee he had been running for like ten years

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Hirsute posted:

I watched some ufo thing last night with interviews with the kids in Zimbabwe. I definitely felt like they had been coached or influenced to say the stuff about the aliens warning them to protect the planet, just from the way they talked about it and their body language, but they seemed pretty believable about the ufo itself.

Yeah, they were coached by the aliens! Weren't you listening?

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
im an alien

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

a/s/l?

Ross DaouThot