Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yup. That's a very bad day for a lot of people involved.

What are the odds that the utility markers hosed up marking before he started drilling? Imagine if that was a clandestine NSA fiber optic setup.

This happened to a friend a couple years ago. They were putting in sheet steel for a dock and there was an electrical cable near running under ground under the water. The cable was in the right place and the sheets went where they were supposed to. However when they put the cable in they had slack for repairs and such in a giant loop which wasn't marked on the plans and the crew cut right through it with the vibratory hammer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

Phanatic posted:

Is there a chance the track is bent?

Not on your life, my Hindu friend

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

So people hanging around the current eruption in Iceland started noticing a slight issue with their hair.

Static electricity - not just for dogs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aO-phqmyqdY&t=10s

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Guyver posted:

This happened to a friend a couple years ago. They were putting in sheet steel for a dock and there was an electrical cable near running under ground under the water. The cable was in the right place and the sheets went where they were supposed to. However when they put the cable in they had slack for repairs and such in a giant loop which wasn't marked on the plans and the crew cut right through it with the vibratory hammer.

God, I wonder how you locate stuff under water. And mark it.
On the ground, I know they use paint, flags, stakes etc.. but on water?

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

So people hanging around the current eruption in Iceland started noticing a slight issue with their hair.

Photoshop claims another victim.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Volcanic lightning is a hell of a thing:

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

It is an obvious photoshop. Zoom in on the nose

Fat Loser
May 27, 2004

FuturePastNow posted:

Odin's angry beer farts

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

FuturePastNow posted:

I'm pretty sure that was the energy release from when Dick Cheney sundered his soul and became a lich.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

i think someone posted a vid from this channel in here a while ago but now i keep coming back to em
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k1TQGK3mZI
just interesting and very specific stuff about aviation

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Paul Bertorelli has a charming demeanor and I hope we don’t find out he breeds bulldogs or something.

He is a Floridaman. :ohdear:

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yup. That's a very bad day for a lot of people involved.

What are the odds that the utility markers hosed up marking before he started drilling? Imagine if that was a clandestine NSA fiber optic setup.

Something like that happened in Berlin during the Cold War. The CIA and MI6 made a tunnel into the east to tap a phone line being used by the Soviet military, it operated for a while before a team of workmen "accidentally" discovered it after being sent to find "water damage" to the line (the Soviets actually had a spy but let the tap run to protect his cover), allegedly most of the recovered equipment had "Property of MI6" plaques on it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Gold

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

C.M. Kruger posted:

Something like that happened in Berlin during the Cold War. The CIA and MI6 made a tunnel into the east to tap a phone line being used by the Soviet military, it operated for a while before a team of workmen "accidentally" discovered it after being sent to find "water damage" to the line (the Soviets actually had a spy but let the tap run to protect his cover), allegedly most of the recovered equipment had "Property of MI6" plaques on it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Gold

quote:

This included a number of evacuations, including when the diggers broke through into an undocumented pre-World War II cesspool and flooded the tunnel.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

undocumented pre-World War II cesspool

But enough about John Lennon.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

KoRMaK posted:

i think someone posted a vid from this channel in here a while ago but now i keep coming back to em
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k1TQGK3mZI
just interesting and very specific stuff about aviation

e, cool video.

LifeSunDeath fucked around with this message at 15:39 on May 22, 2021

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

LifeSunDeath posted:

This is really fun. I like the brag about his candy painted million dollar plane.

:confused: that was a joke that he would like one in that colour, if someone wished to give him one.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Xakura posted:

:confused: that was a joke that he would like one in that colour, if someone wished to give him one.

It's early and I'm not functioning rn...goddamn.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/aYHauPu.mp4

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

the summer off-season, shrimp-trawler captains will run tourist trips. on one of these, a captain described the time his crew pulled up a manta ray in the nets. while he was yelling at them not to dump the nets on deck, they dumped the nets on deck.

I don't remember how big he said it was, but way beyond what they could lift. they had to kill it and then spend the rest of the day cutting it up and throwing the pieces overboard.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

I thought that front cap was a refrigeration unit at first.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/ax8IDup.gifv

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
When the Chipotle hits.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Mexican food is delicious, but the aftermath can be... disruptive.

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

Dare I ask what is supposed to be in the pipe?

Fat Loser
May 27, 2004

Smik posted:

cake batter, obviously

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Smik posted:

Taco bell I think.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

In my head I hear Han Solo, "What an incredible smell you've discovered!"

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

New innovations in truckfuckling!

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

I'm not a candle expert, but is an explosion a common failure mode?

When you burn a candle, the wick melts the wax and only the tiny amount of melted wax in the wick will reach the temperature where the wax burns, i.e. the flash point.

If a candle melts completely, and it's in a container where the wax keeps getting heated, the entire liquid mass of the candle will reach the flash point and start smoking. Explosions could happen when the vapors from the smoking melted wax catch fire, or when someone sees the entire candle burning and douses it with water.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Yikes is that a Ferrari?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Yikes is that a Ferrari?

yes

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

axolotl farmer posted:

When you burn a candle, the wick melts the wax and only the tiny amount of melted wax in the wick will reach the temperature where the wax burns, i.e. the flash point.

If a candle melts completely, and it's in a container where the wax keeps getting heated, the entire liquid mass of the candle will reach the flash point and start smoking. Explosions could happen when the vapors from the smoking melted wax catch fire, or when someone sees the entire candle burning and douses it with water.

This happened to the Osbournes, specifically Sharon and Ozzy trying to put it out like the keystone cops.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgVV9DCLFKU

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Yikes is that a Ferrari?

Looks like a Freightliner.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

I can't tell if they were transporting the car or if the car was pretending it was KITT and drove into the semi.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Uthor posted:

I can't tell if they were transporting the car or if the car was pretending it was KITT and drove into the semi.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Yikes is that a Ferrari?

More than you can afford

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

axolotl farmer posted:

It's also important to recognize the difference between a red candle stick and a stick of Dynamite. A common mistake.

And re: the Ferrari truck loving video, the US flag makes it :911:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Sometimes the fuckler trucks you.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qthymf79nd1r0uzl6.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012