Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Man

This kind of sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Me after nearly three weeks of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_nPp64OrBc

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

The end of the chapter reveals Jones walked away while Annie was talking.
Is this the emotion humans call... boredom

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

runwiled posted:

Where is this going?!

but enough about Gunnerkrigg Court,

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

This is what's been stuck in my head lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXE8LdXzeHM

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011
I note that comments now appear to be turned off!

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGsHq-mZI8U&t=112s

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

This is awful. Annie is essentially adopting a parental role toward her own neglectful father.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I have a lot of trust in Tom to give his characters realistic nuance and make their thoughts grounded in reality- it makes sense in my opinion for Annie to feel this way about Tony, he WAS a neglectful father before Annie came to the Court but if he never is given the ability to BE a father he will remain that way in the minds of these people. But this is where the trust slips imo because this is just not a realistic thought process at all. The wrong way to go about proving he should have this chance is to grandstand about how his abuse is not actually abuse because he can't control it, Antimony.

edit: Just hoping this is intended hypocrisy as before with Annie, it's historical for her to stand on this soap box when nobody was really upset. Lest we forget that Red/Blue put in Annie's head that she was such a selfish person she nearly got her friends killed even though that's only ambiguously true and so she went around apologizing to everybody for it and they were like "uh what? we did what we had to do lol". Save for I think Kat right? Who told her straight up "yeah it was kinda rude but who gives a drat"

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 21, 2021

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

runwiled posted:

I note that comments now appear to be turned off!

I believe they have been for a while now. Mostly because people were being lovely about Kat & Paz, if I'm correct.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

IUG posted:

I believe they have been for a while now. Mostly because people were being lovely about Kat & Paz, if I'm correct.

There have been comments on the last few comics so if this happened it did just happen, but I doubt it as iirc they're manually approved and that's why they take a while to show up after a comic goes live?

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

IUG posted:

They were definitely enabled as of the end of the last chapter, I remember looking at them for the end page where Annie2 was putting away her makeup. Looking back I don't see any way to view comments on any page, but I couldn't tell you if that's a recent change or if I'm missing something or what, I'm normally happy to pretend comment sections don't exist.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1047

We're currently on this page, but it's too bad Jones is too heavy for Annie to judo throw across the room when she says "well your dad's a jerk" and the mask cracks this time. Not that it really matters if it's a mask or not anymore.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Snake Maze posted:

They were definitely enabled as of the end of the last chapter, I remember looking at them for the end page where Annie2 was putting away her makeup. Looking back I don't see any way to view comments on any page, but I couldn't tell you if that's a recent change or if I'm missing something or what, I'm normally happy to pretend comment sections don't exist.

I think it's been a while now that you can only see the comments on the most recent page. That and the delay means there's normally none for a few hours after the page goes live. There's a lot of comments on this most recent issue, looks like.

I agree with you on comment pages, so I don't really read them. This thread is my only weathervane for the thoughts of Gunnerkrigg readers, but I just won't put up with factual inaccuracy on the Internet!

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

There Bias Two posted:

This is awful. Annie is essentially adopting a parental role toward her own neglectful father.

That is one of the exactly two things that happen in this situation, the other being "Running the gently caress away as far as possible".

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Mulva posted:

That is one of the exactly two things that happen in this situation, the other being "Running the gently caress away as far as possible".

Right. I'm most concerned with whether the comic chooses to present it as a positive development or not. There's still time for other characters to help her course correct.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Mulva posted:

Yeah, having to parent your parent is actually the (sadly) most realistic outcome of this. It has happened to a thousand thousand children who had to grow up too fast taking care of a thousand thousand eternally drunk but willing to stumble fathers.

edit: Your dad will get off the couch and go to work if you make him do it. But how many times are you willing to make him before you join him on the couch because you're exhausted from making him AND making you? Your dad will hurt you on accident and know it and you can swallow that. But how many times are you able to swallow it before you too decide it's too much strain on your relationship? And so on and so on. Annie accepting Tony for the way he is both is the wrong thing to do and is the natural thing to do imo.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 22:10 on May 21, 2021

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!
I dont think that providing emotional support is the same thing as stepping into a caregiver role, though people are correct in identifying a troubling link between the mentalities involved.

As a counterbalance to this perspective, it is probably healthy for her to take no responsibility for improving her dad's behaviour.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Annie's not well known for her ability to take disrespect as water rollin' off one's back, but she seems pretty zen here so I will trust her on that. Was just sayin' it happens very much more often than it ought to so if the comic reflected that it'd be understandable.

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011
this perspective she's giving is probably one of the healthiest ones that someone in her position could take, but from a narrative perspective it is deeply unsatisfying. it feels completely unearned, with the only explanation being 'zimmy magic,' which we don't really have a proper understanding of to begin with. it feels extremely handwavey, and if this is the actual resolution and not just a build up for something else, it'll probably be the end of my reading.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013
It might be the healthiest one in her particular situation, if not the most satisfying one, provided someone actually does something about Tony rather than just putting up with his poo poo and Annie forever going "well he has his reasons." I'm not sure that the Court is the kind of environment that will allow for that to actually happen.

I definitely don't think this resolution is something that would apply to actual real abusive relationships and no one should feel the need to excuse their parents being neglectful and abusive regardless of the perceived intensity of the abuse. That said, the Court is pretty archaic in many ways and, not to excuse any of what Tony has done, it isn't a surprise that Tony would get caught up in these thought patterns when no one (not even Donald, the person who seems to understand him and his mind cage the most and isn't excusing his behavior) is actually telling him to get his poo poo together and actually work with him to solve the problem.

Edit: This person really shouldn't have to be Annie, either.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Annie this feels like slipping into another Toxic relationship like with Coyote.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!

Annointed posted:

Annie this feels like slipping into another Toxic relationship like with Coyote.

That's why I say she won't really have arrived at a fully healthy perspective until the Loup situation is fixed. Her unstable father figure being mixed up with her god-figure doesn't really speak to a totally healthy mind. Although it's also a literal fantasy world, it's on a more psychological level a reflection of her inner world as well.

The symbolism involved, in my expert opinion, is "some alchemy bullshit."

I think the hand-wavey nature of the last few plot points is sort of a problem. Like maybe we're supposed to find out what Zimmy told her and it will make sense, but unless it drops soon it will still kinda make things seem like they skipped the climax of arc or something.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 02:48 on May 22, 2021

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

A Sometimes Food posted:

Man

This kind of sucks.

I've been reading since Coyote and Ysengrin were introduced and :same:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Niavmai posted:

this perspective she's giving is probably one of the healthiest ones that someone in her position could take, but from a narrative perspective it is deeply unsatisfying. it feels completely unearned, with the only explanation being 'zimmy magic,' which we don't really have a proper understanding of to begin with. it feels extremely handwavey, and if this is the actual resolution and not just a build up for something else, it'll probably be the end of my reading.

Ehhhh, okay I get what you're saying here, but I kind of disagree with your wording.

The healthiest way to deal with an abusive parent depends entirely on the individual and their emotional needs and desires. If someone decides "I still love my parent despite everything they did and will continue to have them be a part of my life without expecting or needing them to change" that can be healthy as long as they maintain proper boundaries but also "I don't love my parent, and I don't owe them poo poo, and I'm cutting them out of my life" can be equally healthy. It's a complicated situation with a lot of complicated factors and you can't really make a generalized statement about any one option being the healthiest in every situation.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
A better way to put it would maybe be that it's one of the most mature stances someone in her position could take. It's the most mature and pragmatic stance, yes, but that isn't always a helpful attitude to have and this is such a case.

edit: I mean the other party's position is literally that he feels trapped and does not want to be this way, so it's not helpful to be pragmatic and say she's ok with being the inadvertent target.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 05:23 on May 22, 2021

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Maybe she'll take this insight and use it to form an empathetic connection to Ysengrim through Loup, allowing him to be more at peace with his own abusive relationship with Coyote. Then she guides Loup on his own journey to healing the damage Coyote left him with, and rather than restoring Coyote we get a new more sane God.

Or not

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Ehhhh, okay I get what you're saying here, but I kind of disagree with your wording.

The healthiest way to deal with an abusive parent depends entirely on the individual and their emotional needs and desires. If someone decides "I still love my parent despite everything they did and will continue to have them be a part of my life without expecting or needing them to change" that can be healthy as long as they maintain proper boundaries but also "I don't love my parent, and I don't owe them poo poo, and I'm cutting them out of my life" can be equally healthy. It's a complicated situation with a lot of complicated factors and you can't really make a generalized statement about any one option being the healthiest in every situation.

that's why i said 'one of,' not just 'the best.' it's probably even too early to be going for that mindset as he's still her legal guardian until she's an adult.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
Antimony is foreverially parentified and loving it.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Any bets on this monolog ending tomorrow? This week? Past that? I'm betting Wednesday.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
the only way this monologue could end this week is if loup busted into the scene all kool-aid man like, and im all for it

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!
the year.., is 21XX.

annie's monologue... has ended.

Machado de Assis
Dec 12, 2005

sneak peek at an upcoming page this week

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Local blogger squeaks in with a contrary opinion just before Siddell can confirm or deny with a new page.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Please let this be over now.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

I’ve got bad news about your narrative hopes and dreams. The comic below text is a fairly straightforward author endorsement of Annie’s position here.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

Aside from current mind-numbing events, looking at that blog brought up a point that I had completely forgotten about, and seems really strange now:

First of all, given that we've now caught up to the bird and it's something that Kat has made with her current tech, why in the world did she design it to grow like that? The blog also made a good point about the Court having been grown from a Seed Bismuth. I wonder if that's related. But that may not be the only thing sent back in time..

Sailor Dave fucked around with this message at 08:38 on May 24, 2021

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

This thread doesn't get it, but it also gets it.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Sailor Dave posted:

Aside from current mind-numbing events, looking at that blog brought up a point that I had completely forgotten about, and seems really strange now:

First of all, given that we've now caught up to the bird and it's something that Kat has made with her current tech, why in the world did she design it to grow like that? The blog also made a good point about the Court having been grown from a Seed Bismuth. I wonder if that's related. But that may not be the only thing sent back in time..

we are told later that Ysengrin was lying in that scene about when he was there: https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=320

presumably he also lied about what he found

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Strep Vote posted:

I've been reading since Coyote and Ysengrin were introduced and :same:

Chapter Two here and it's the first time I've really doubted it.

Well I've been a bit unsure since the TicTocs got explained.