Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

The Moon Monster posted:

I'm not sure what's so hard to get about a purpose made wet palette probably being nicer than one constructed from garbage. Yeah its good enough but hey some people might want something nicer. I mean my current wet palette constructed from garbage is much nicer than my previous wet palette constructed from garbage so even there there are tiers. If people want to spend their money on this then sure, why not, who cares.

The kickstarter one linked itt runs into an issue of having to keep buying the expensive paper or it just becomes exactly the same as the homemade one. It's chief feature is cleanable paper you can reuse 4+ times when it's surely way quicker, easier and cheaper to just throw out a disposable sheet of kitchen greaseproof whenever it's full of mess and shame and cut a new one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

sassassin posted:

Limited vertical space?

I have the large rgg one and slide it under my monitor riser when I'm not using it. It might be one of the more expensive ones but its nice quality, works well and really only costs as much as a handful of paint pots.

Sometimes its nice to have a quality tool and in the grand scheme, it really isn't some huge expense.

nostrata fucked around with this message at 01:35 on May 22, 2021

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I have a redgrass wet palette and it's great, I keep it in the drawer next to me and don't paint anything ever

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

AndyElusive posted:

DRY PALETTES 4 LYFE WHAT WHAT

the Ben Shapiro palette

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Z the IVth posted:

Well if someone is asking about how to get better at painting as a newbie they've clearly gotten past that hurdle.

And it's three very basic pieces of garbage. If you don't have them lying about the house maybe you should reconsider your choice of hobby since even a single 28mm base costs more than that.

If somebody comes to me and says they've painted a few minis and are having trouble thinning their paints properly I'll tell them they might want to try a wet pallet, they can make a simple one from paper towels and parchment paper, and if it helps they should invest in a more robust one. What I hate is when somebody who's never painted before comes out asking what they should start with and they get bombarded with people telling them they NEED A WET PALLETE OMG MAKE IT OUT OF ALL THE TUPPERWARE YOU HAVE. Why the gently caress are you telling somebody who wants to paint that first they need to do an arts and crafts project?

I see people (not on SA) do the same thing with airbrushes when a brand new painter asks for advice for spray priming. Like poo poo, let 'em ease into the hobby.

Anyhow in keeping with the purpose of the thread. Found this on Ebay.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Amazing paint job ruined by the posing

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

AndyElusive posted:

DRY PALETTES 4 LYFE WHAT WHAT

THROWIN PAINT AWAY 100 YEARS gently caress IT

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

*rinsing the $13/oz paint off my $20 brush in my branded $15 cup and putting down my $15 handle with my $40 miniature on it surrounded hundreds of dollars of poo poo ive never looked at twice*

that pallette is how goddamn much

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I'm amazed by the people here who apparently have infinite hobby money, that must be nice! Yes its an expensive hobby, yes figures and paints are unavoidably expensive, but that doesnt necessarily mean that everyone in the hobby has access to as much money as they want. If someone only has 30 quid to spend on the hobby this month I personally would tell them to spend that on figures and paints rather than buying a wet palette. If someone has 50 quid to spend, I'll tell them to spend it on figures and paints rather than buying that wet pallete and 1 figure. And so on and so forth

So: Your money, spend it how you like. But the fact you can afford to drop money on things like a prebuilt wet palette and a branded water cup without blinking doesnt actually mean that those are sensible decisions for everyone when there are undeniably cheaper alternatives that do exactly the same job. Its like paying the hobby tax for citadel branded side cutters when you can buy the exact same thing intended for snipping wires and poo poo for half the price. Again, your money, your choice, I'm not attacking anyone for valuing their time a lot more than their money, or valuing aesthetics. And I've been saying for years that I'm always astonished that GW havent slapped their logo on a cheaply made wet palette for a 300% mark-up.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i got the redgrass palette as a gift and while i like it a lot i probably wouldn’t spend the money on it myself. so imo it’s a perfect idea if someone wants to buy you a thing for your birthday

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

jesus WEP posted:

i got the redgrass palette as a gift and while i like it a lot i probably wouldn’t spend the money on it myself. so imo it’s a perfect idea if someone wants to buy you a thing for your birthday

Sure, thats a good use case for it (and, I suspect, the entire reason the GW water cup exists; for when a parent walks into the warhammer store and says "My kid is wanting to get into something called 40K? Do you sell that? What do they need to start?" or someone walks in going "I'm looking for a gift for a friend; They collect your figures. No I dont know what army it is, or what they already have"). If I got it as a gift I'd probably use it over the plastic tub and spongue I'm currently using.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

SiKboy posted:

And I've been saying for years that I'm always astonished that GW havent slapped their logo on a cheaply made wet palette for a 300% mark-up.

GW will release their own wet-palette when they finalize their own branded GWH2O, the only water that's guaranteed to work correctly with their new wet-palette.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Bucnasti posted:

I see people (not on SA) do the same thing with airbrushes when a brand new painter asks for advice for spray priming. Like poo poo, let 'em ease into the hobby.

That absolutely happened here in the painting thread recently.

People who are buying a branded water cup and handle are absolutely the target market for those wet palettes.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I used a plastic sandwich/deli box with a folded paper towel and some parchment paper for a long time, before buying an Army Painter wet pallette. I got it because it was on sale and has a compartment for brushes.

Honestly, the cheap solution worked just as well, and I'll never buy the official sheets and sponges for the Army Painter one. Once I've used those up, I'm going back to paper towel and parchment paper, just in a slightly fancier box now.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
if you spend all your money on tools, you won't have any unpainted miniatures laying around. checkmate

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
I had no idea GW sold a branded mug for paint water.

And I am legit surprised they don't do a wet palette. Maybe they think it contradicts their 'make painting look simple' strategy. They may suggest that you buy 30+ colours to do a single model, but you don't mix anything.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
Like, I wouldn't tell someone who's only curious about the hobby to run out and drop a hundo on supplies right off the bat. But this whole conversation started with a goon basically going "whotta fuckin' grift" to a product that folks actually use and enjoy.

Also, as far as the citadel water pot is concerned it has some cool features for brush care and most importantly it doesn't look anything like a drinking vessel.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

GW will release their own wet-palette when they finalize their own branded GWH2O, the only water that's guaranteed to work correctly with their new wet-palette.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJ9w9J7gfJI

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Two Beans posted:

doesn't look anything like a drinking vessel.

I use a brush cleaning tank for this exact reason, but they’re only seven bucks from an art supply store.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Two Beans posted:

Like, I wouldn't tell someone who's only curious about the hobby to run out and drop a hundo on supplies right off the bat. But this whole conversation started with a goon basically going "whotta fuckin' grift" to a product that folks actually use and enjoy.

All I said was that with sufficient "celebrity" endorsements you can upsell what you can make from garbage fantastically. If you want to call it a grift then it's the same grift that Apple and Tesla are in on except you can't make a smartphone or electric car out of the contents of your kitchen.

No one's going to tell you how to spend your money. If someone gave one to me as a gift would I use it? Sure, and I'd probably quite enjoy it as well. Would I spend 2 Warhounds worth of guineas on it? gently caress no when I can have my 3D printed version for 2 bob.

If you want non garbage-pattern versions that don't cost as much as a space marine tank:

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/730742202/wet-paint-palette-miniature-painting

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wet-Pain...4.m46890.l49286

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

The wet palette I bought is much better than the one I made using Tupperware and paper towels. It’s also much wider, giving me more room to spread my paints around in.

Sometimes purpose-built tools are worth the money. If you don’t want one, that’s cool. If you do, that’s cool too.

I don’t recommend the branded palette sheets tho. In my experience they’re too thick and expensive. Just get white parchment paper and take 5 minutes cutting out plenty of sheets.

The people who are weird tho are the staunchly anti-airbrush people. I saw some people arguing online about how airbrushes are too expensive, cheating, or how they would turn off painting videos that feature airbrushes (even if they’re just used to prime/base coat).

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 14:56 on May 22, 2021

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Please stop talking about the wet pallet, please please please.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Wet pallets = bad
Wet palettes = good

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Wet palate: working as intended

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Verisimilidude posted:

I saw some people arguing online about how airbrushes are... ..cheating

Yeah, that poo poo's fuckin dumb. Also the folks that are mad about Contrast Paint. Let motherfuckers hobby for gently caress's sake.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Nebalebadingdong posted:

the Ben Shapiro palette

Miniatures Unspiration: WAP (wet rear end palettes)

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
The actual cool reason to make your own wet pallete is that you are recycling and not generating more plastic waste

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Please stop talking about the wet pallet, please please please.

An orktaur.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Moola posted:

The actual cool reason to make your own wet pallete is that you are recycling and not generating more plastic waste

if you're worried about wastes of plastic, you better start painting your minis better :smug:

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Nebalebadingdong posted:

if you're worried about wastes of plastic, you better start painting your minis better :smug:

boooom shaka laka

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

Professional zombie impersonator.
I was gonna ask where the gently caress are y'all finding Tupperware containers you can comfortably paint out of and then remembered I have tiny baby handitis. :smith:

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

DressCodeBlue posted:

I was gonna ask where the gently caress are y'all finding Tupperware containers you can comfortably paint out of and then remembered I have tiny baby handitis. :smith:

If you're in the UK a regular plastic takeout container works. Surely there is a freedom-loving equivalent?

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

Professional zombie impersonator.
Oh yeah, plastic takeout containers here in the US are also the right size (most have one or more holes, though). So are sandwich boxes.

But people kept bringing up Tupperware and deli containers, which are at least twice as deep.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
I'm an American, and it doesn't seem that hard to find little plastic containers. I'm not sure where I got them (Dollar store or a supermarket likely), but I use little plastic containers I think that were made for sides for box lunches. the perfect size for holding water to rinse my brushes and I use the caps for a pallet.

I can't save the paint for later, like I would with a wet pallete. but I feel like that's something I don't need (also, I'm pretty cheap)

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
I've taken to using any random pieces of plastic or coated card as non-wet palettes. All those ziplock bags minis come in finally put to good use.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
Back in the 90s I used blister packs as my palette . Good times

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Nebalebadingdong posted:

M m m.. Mods!? :negative:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

DressCodeBlue posted:

But people kept bringing up Tupperware and deli containers, which are at least twice as deep.

I don't know what you'd call them in English, but I found some flat (like 2-3cm tall) containers at Aldi, for keeping small amounts of deli meat or sliced cheese or something in.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Ugleb posted:

I had no idea GW sold a branded mug for paint water.

And I am legit surprised they don't do a wet palette. Maybe they think it contradicts their 'make painting look simple' strategy. They may suggest that you buy 30+ colours to do a single model, but you don't mix anything.

GW would never sell a wet palette when the other option is your paint drying up on a dey palette so much faster, or even better the entire pot drying up as it is standing open for long durations.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
I hated when airbrushes were just starting to get popular in miniatures and everything was just smooth gradients and clumsy glows for a while because it was so easy. Contrast and volumetric painting went out the window for a bit but people figured them out and now they're invaluable

I still only use mine for priming and basecoats but even that saves a lot of time and annoyance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Jesus christ people