Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm wondering what ending I should go for first. If I should multiple NG+ or multiple saves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!

kirbysuperstar posted:

Agreed.

You do have a GPU capable of DX11/12 right? Silly question, but

Yeah, my DX version is 12.
I ended up getting a steam refund and bought it on my PS4 instead.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Cleretic posted:

In China and Korea, the Raidou DLC is unavailable, so they only have the option of either non-Maniax, or paying extra for Maniax with Dante.

Is this because of Raidou's Imperial Army-style uniform? Or is there something else going on?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Tobermory posted:

Is this because of Raidou's Imperial Army-style uniform? Or is there something else going on?

It's that.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
Oh, drat. I've always been curious about vanilla Nocturne, someone somewhere on the internet once implied that the absence of Amala and Old Man Lucy meant other elements of the story were integrated a little more naturally and I was curious if that was true.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
AGL and LUK are hosed up stats in Nocturne. LUK doesn't effect critical hits or status ailments, and the things it does affect, other stats have a bigger impact on.

AGL, inexplicably, gets worse for your accuracy/crit chance the higher level you are. It still help with back attacks and escape chance though.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

I've always done strength builds. Can someone remind me why I'd do magic? I thought there was a better advantage to magic but I can't remember for this old game.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

AlphaKeny1 posted:

I've always done strength builds. Can someone remind me why I'd do magic? I thought there was a better advantage to magic but I can't remember for this old game.

It's better early on since you can hit weaknesses and poo poo.

Then you get access to crit rate enhancers removing weakness importance.

Then you get focus, and realize that mind charge hasn't been implemented yet.

Then you get Freikugel and just kind of laugh at everything.

Then you get pierce... which only applies to physical attacks. And you need in order to beat the final boss if you're doing things in such a way that you have pierce.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 21:25 on May 22, 2021

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Magic is fine if you do the other endings but yeah it's pretty pointless on TDE.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Going TDE on a magic build should be a bit less painful in this version since Raidou/Dante have Pierce so you've got at least one demon with it easily. But going physical is definitely easier. Physical builds can still make decent use of skills like Tornado even with low magic, which is really strong in the early game.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
For a magic build should you be focusing on one or two elements or is the idea to have as much coverage as possible? Is a support build feasible or should the Demifiend be All Murder All The Time?

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ibram Gaunt posted:

, but only when

Getting mixed messages here!!

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Supremezero posted:

Then you get Freikugel and just kind of laugh at everything.

Wait I thought freikugel was phys based?

Also I didn't realize mind charge wasn't in nocturne.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Acerbatus posted:

Getting mixed messages here!!

I made that post shortly after waking up. sue me!

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

YggiDee posted:

For a magic build should you be focusing on one or two elements or is the idea to have as much coverage as possible? Is a support build feasible or should the Demifiend be All Murder All The Time?

Go for coverage IMO. Most of the Demifiend's magic skills are of the "hits random enemies" variety and those work well for both groups and single targets so you can get away with one of each element. There's 8 skill slots so that gives you some room for stuff like a heal, Fog Breath or War Cry, an almighty attack, Dekaja etc. You could also get an elemental boost (wind is probably the most powerful with the Demifiend's skills) if you want to drop a support skill or even an elemental skill. Pure support builds are possible but feels like a waste. Being able to pump your damage stat means that the Demifiend will usually be doing more damage than equivalently leveled demons and even offensive builds can fit in a few support skills plus some item utility.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I've never done a full support build but last run I did a mixture of Light/Elec/healing. The idea was to use mostly Light Magatama....I still used Shiranui too much and I think I put on the Curseproof Magatama for a later boss. Whatever. Point is it's very doable and fun to focus on certain elements. You want decent Agility if you're going or heals and support though to make sure you always go first.

Even in my first run on Normal, I sunk most of my energy into Force because I was blinded by the power of Tornado and just spammed that most of the game. Gave me my most memorable Game Over ever when an enemy repelled it and instantly killed me.

This time I'm doing a Dark Magatama only run and will try to be more consistent. Also putting all points into Ma and see how that turns out. Not a healer so don't need to go first.

EDIT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSnUWsWqAKI

Really liking the dub. A fantastic choice for my big boy here. This whole section has always been a highlight of Nocturne for me, everything from the Mantra trial to climbing the HQ and meeting Gozu-Tennoh.

https://twitter.com/ScrambledFaz/status/1394656178408407045?s=20

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 01:17 on May 23, 2021

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Oh man I haven't played Nocturne in a decade (RIP my PS2) but I am already remembering the huge anxiety the skill system gave me (IIRC you had to have specific Magatama equipped on level up to get its respective skill, and if you delete/don't acquire a skill it is gone forever)

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I wonder why they've priced this so high (on PC at least) especially relative to P4G

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Voice acting probably.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

shrike82 posted:

I wonder why they've priced this so high (on PC at least) especially relative to P4G

Far more niche than Persona so they're relying on diehards, I imagine.

And heck, they got me. I'm a freak who paid $70 for the deluxe version so I'm a part of the problem.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

YggiDee posted:

Oh man I haven't played Nocturne in a decade (RIP my PS2) but I am already remembering the huge anxiety the skill system gave me (IIRC you had to have specific Magatama equipped on level up to get its respective skill, and if you delete/don't acquire a skill it is gone forever)

The secret is 90% of the skills you get from them aren't particularly good or are easily used by your party instead. It's the unique ones you don't want to just throw away.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

YggiDee posted:

Not really. You still qualify if you level up over the specific level. If you delete the skill it's gone forever, but you can't miss them.

Also magatama act different in the menu if you can learn a skill from them on your next level up. Specifically they wriggle around a lot more.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
So, the deluxe DLC comes with two dungeons that might as well be old school money/experience trainers with only a slight veneer. I didn't really figure it out, at first, running around one of them. Only later did I realize I had collected items that would boost me about 50 levels.

They kind of take away from the game and I'd recommend avoiding them if you want the game to remain interesting or a challenge.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah they seem kinda pointless really, Nocturne has some spikes where you would need to grind a bit which I guess they could be helpful with but nothing requires a crazy build or party composition that would benefit from being able to level up that fast.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Sounds good for people like me with brain problems that refuse to fuse demons until they learn all their skills

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Merciful mode gives like x3 exp or something silly already!

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I remember I used to spend hours of the late game grinding those Amala Labyrinth freefall sections for macca so that I could fill out my compendium, so it's nice to have a much less stressful (and quicker) alternative.

edit:

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Merciful mode gives like x3 exp or something silly already!

The grimoires are nice in that they let you level up the demons without getting your MC overleveled. I used those in IV and IVA for that purpose, and even here I can totally see the appeal of "Oh another Choronzon offered itself up to my party? Well lets use these grimoires to learn maragi before fusing it."

Alacron fucked around with this message at 06:27 on May 23, 2021

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I agree the money one is alot more usable, I just think the xp one is a bit overkill.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

There is no way the DLC could nearly match the experience of memorizing the hell vault tunnel's purple macca spots and going into a zen state for an hour while grinding money

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

being able to switch to merciful after you already started a hardmode game is some dumb poo poo

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Alejandro Sanchez posted:

being able to switch to merciful after you already started a hardmode game is some dumb poo poo

Then don't?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

In fairness, maybe you just wanna skip past the Preta fights where they can easily kill you if they get a crit and then you gotta restart the game all over again. I luckily didn't have to do this but I know you can very easily get a game over there. I just had save states last time.

I used it just now to redo a section and record a cutscene because I had accidentally saved after it and I just wanted to blaze through the last bit of Assembly of Nihilo again and record this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AvHTjsW2B0

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Being able to fine-tune the difficulty of a game after you've started playing, especially on a first playthrough, is actually cool and good and I'm glad more and more games have started doing that. Y'know, instead of forcing you to be psychic and just know whether or not you'll run into a wall or start falling asleep happy through.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Did I read somewhere that there is a new ending in the remaster of Nocturne?

On that note: any comprehensive list of all new additions?

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

In fairness, maybe you just wanna skip past the Preta fights where they can easily kill you if they get a crit and then you gotta restart the game all over again. I luckily didn't have to do this but I know you can very easily get a game over there. I just had save states last time.

The tutorial preta is after a savepoint though

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Alacron posted:

Voice acting probably.

yeah, the additions in Nocturne HD aren't as extensive as Golden overall, but the budget for adding all that stuff went into the initial Vita version where it sure didn't cost $20 at release

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You cheated not only the game....

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Saagonsa posted:

The tutorial preta is after a savepoint though

Really? I already forgot you meet Hijiri at the save point before that. My bad.

The main point about dying to random crits is true, though. Then again, maybe that's a valuable lesson to have as I'm posting right now having just died to a Raiju's and having lost 20-30 minutes of exploring the prison.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm gonna use the grinding maps when trying to do dumb stuff like get the achievement for mastering all Magatamas or Filling the Compendium or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.reddit.com/r/Megaten/comments/nivfut/mod_release_smt3_nocturne_hd_hd_audio_for_hd_ears/

Someone's working on an OST replacer, not finished yet though but it'll be worth using most likely.