Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
The Usual Suspects. Who would have thought Kevin Spacey was a criminal this whole time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Turns out it was Earth the whole time, and it was people!

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Captain Monkey posted:

What? I thought he just went religious crazy.

From what I remember, yeah, it was just religious awe, which happens elsewhere in the movie too.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Cowslips Warren posted:

Other than The Sixth Sense for pretty much being the first in its generation, what movies do the twist ending with any real decency?

The original Planet of the Apes.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I thought shutter island had a pretty decent twist. It's very obvious when you rewatch it but I didn't see it coming when I first watched it.

Yeah I appreciated that. There’s a lot of little details I didn’t notice or know what to make of the first time through

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Cowslips Warren posted:

Other than The Sixth Sense for pretty much being the first in its generation, what movies do the twist ending with any real decency?

Arlington Road was pretty good for this.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

In Thor Ragnarok, Thor really shouldn’t be bothered by Hulk being naked in the hot tub. He’s a god, 1500 years old, and has probably been in thousand of orgies and around drunks forever. Nudity shouldn’t bother him.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Maybe hulk has a weird dick

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

christmas boots posted:

Maybe hulk has a weird dick
It looks like asparagus

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Tbh I think that’s worse than if it were, say, broccoli or something

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
It looks exactly like Loki's helmet.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
When the inevitable 'Project Hail Mary' movie comes out, that will be a fun (if minor) twist if they leave it in.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

Cowslips Warren posted:

I haven't seen it in maybe a decade or so at this point so not sure how it holds up but I remember being pretty blindsided by Jim Carrey's character faking an AIDS diagnosis in I Love You Phillip Morris. That's not really a twist ending though, just a twist I guess

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Blood Nightmaster posted:

I haven't seen it in maybe a decade or so at this point so not sure how it holds up but I remember being pretty blindsided by Jim Carrey's character faking an AIDS diagnosis in I Love You Phillip Morris. That's not really a twist ending though, just a twist I guess
Yeah that was a real banger, and unlike Frank Abignale"'s exploits, It actually seems to have fuckin happened 🤯

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I thought Hulk’s broccoli dick was canon.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Post Your Favorite (or Request): I'm existing just for listing!!! › Irrationally Irritating Movie Moments: Maybe hulk has a weird dick

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cowslips Warren posted:

Unbreakable

The Prestige

Bad movies for some reasons maybe and I haven't seen them in years but I also want to say Swordfish and Basic

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

christmas boots posted:

Yeah I appreciated that. There’s a lot of little details I didn’t notice or know what to make of the first time through

A good twist ending makes the movie fun to rewatch, without making you feel like the movie's trying to make you feel stupid. Recontextualising things is fun, and it's the good way to do a myth arc and a mystery.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Recontextualising

This is the key to any decent twist of any kind in fiction. If the twist doesn't recontextualize what has previously been presented its not really anything at all.

Turns out context matters who knew!

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Cowslips Warren posted:

The Informant! does a good job of this, with the idea that the voice-over is not some omniscient descriptor for the audience's benefit as is often the case, but instead diagetic voices in Matt Damon's head and a symptom of his mental illness.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I thought shutter island had a pretty decent twist. It's very obvious when you rewatch it but I didn't see it coming when I first watched it.

I was going to post that one myself. It was ruined for me because I'd read the book first but Scorcese still did a good job on it.

The Mist was the first one I thought of though.

Others (spitballing here):

Get Out
Knives Out
Momento
Psycho
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
Gone Girl (spoiled again from reading the book)
Chinatown
Primal Fear
Scream
Gone Baby Gone
Us
The Shining (arguable twist)
Saw (someone mentioned)
Friday the 13th
Inglorious Basterds
Joker (arguable twist)
Seven
Escape From New York
Empire Strikes Back
House of Games

there's a lot of good ones...

Hell, I'll throw in the finale of Newhart! too

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Some of those raise the question of what is a twist versus a reveal.

In Friday the 13th, for example, you know for the whole movie that there's a murderer, and all it does is reveal who that murderer is. By that logic every Murder She Wrote has a twist.

I originally put "every Agatha Christie novel" in there, but I'd say stuff like And Then There Were None (or whatever racist title you know it by) and Murder on the Orient Express do indeed have twists. But I don't know if I can define the difference between "the Butler did it" and those ones.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The movie ending of The Mist apparently had Stephen King pretty much going 'drat, I wish I'd thought of that'.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

rydiafan posted:

Some of those raise the question of what is a twist versus a reveal.

In Friday the 13th, for example, you know for the whole movie that there's a murderer, and all it does is reveal who that murderer is. By that logic every Murder She Wrote has a twist.

Yeah, that's a good point.

I was just doing a stream of conscious list of movies that popped into my stoned head. But I think it's fair to call the Friday the 13th reveal a "twist", if for no other reason than no one expected the murderer to be a (old) woman. Even Scream, one of the other movies on my dumb list, uses this to make a little twist of its own in the very first scene.

But you're right that "whodunnits" are kind of cheating.

That Mist ending punched me in the gut hard. I watched that movie shortly after my son was born and wasn't loving having it.

E:

I'll add the original Bad News Bears to the list, even though that's a stretch and it's not really a twist so much as a subversion of expectations. In any other movie like this, the underdog team always wins but Kelly Leak is tagged out at home to end the game vs the hated Yankees and nobody expected that.

BiggerBoat has a new favorite as of 17:38 on May 23, 2021

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

I'll add the original Bad News Bears to the list, even though that's a stretch and it's not really a twist so much as a subversion of expectations. In any other movie like this, the underdog team always wins but Kelly Leak is tagged out at home to end the game vs the hated Yankees and nobody expected that.

That's still not a twist, I think. A twist is a change in the original premise. "The Bears try to win a game, will they?" is the premise. A twist might be: "The Bears were intentionally trying to lose all along!"

Same thing with "Who murdered the victim?" It doesn't matter who it was, if that premise is still intact, it's not a twist. A twist would be: "The victim is not dead."

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

lord funk posted:

That's still not a twist, I think. A twist is a change in the original premise. "The Bears try to win a game, will they?" is the premise. A twist might be: "The Bears were intentionally trying to lose all along!"

Same thing with "Who murdered the victim?" It doesn't matter who it was, if that premise is still intact, it's not a twist. A twist would be: "The victim is not dead."

It's really not worth getting into what is/isn't a twist. You're gonna end up with people going "this movie I never heard of but found on TNT one morning was a twist!"

And it'll be like Predator

FightingMongoose
Oct 19, 2006

lord funk posted:

I dunno, The Murder of Roger Ackroyd had a twist ending.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
A very tiny semantic one in an otherwise fun episode of a show I love - Chilling Adventures of Sabrina season 4, episode 2 - why the hell did the Revelation spell work on the Uninvited like that? It wasn't a glamour that was put on him, he'd just had a bath and changed his clothes, so that WAS kind of the real him, but him after a day of looking after himself and not looking like a deranged hobo for a change. It's not like Blackwood magicked him pretty, he just bathed him and gave him a suit.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

For movies with a good twist, I love The Game, but that's from 1997.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
"Sleight" has to be the dumbest ending for a movie I've seen. It starts out as a standard "guy gets in over his head in drug dealing" and then it transitions to a bunch of handwavy "physics" that leads to him basically being magneto. It instantly turned the movie from a "this is OK, nothing special but I don't hate that I spent time watching it" to "what a waste of time, I hate it".

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I guess if you're going to call The Sixth Sense the first one, you need to then include Fight Club, which came out like a month later. Regardless of its connection to just the worst sort of white male shitlord, think back to when you first saw the scene, "it's called a changeover. The movie goes on, and no one in the audience has any idea". That scene put my jaw on the loving floor.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

BioEnchanted posted:

A very tiny semantic one in an otherwise fun episode of a show I love - Chilling Adventures of Sabrina season 4, episode 2 - why the hell did the Revelation spell work on the Uninvited like that? It wasn't a glamour that was put on him, he'd just had a bath and changed his clothes, so that WAS kind of the real him, but him after a day of looking after himself and not looking like a deranged hobo for a change. It's not like Blackwood magicked him pretty, he just bathed him and gave him a suit.

I really enjoyed the first season or two of CAOS but the fourth season is pretty much a stinker. Especially the ending.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

IUG posted:

For movies with a good twist, I love The Game, but that's from 1997.

One of my favorite movies. “I got drugged and left for dead in Mexico and all I got was this T-shirt”

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Baron von Eevl posted:

I really enjoyed the first season or two of CAOS but the fourth season is pretty much a stinker. Especially the ending.

Eh, I'm enjoying season 4 so far, the Eldritch Terrors are interesting enough. not a fan of the plot point of Roz being a witch all along though.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I was reminded of the existence of Big Bad Beetleborgs the other day.

Even as a kid, I was struck by the lack of thematic cohesion between the wacky friendly Univeral Classic Monsters-esque dudes and the tokusatsu robot alien guys.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

FreshFeesh posted:

I felt Army of the Dead was lacking overall, but one thing that really bugs me about modern heist movies is the inevitable heel turn, no matter how clearly broadcast it is beforehand. Why did the company man betray the group anyway? If the real prize was the friendship zombie alpha’s head and the big boss didn’t care about the money, why screw over the rest of the team? Wouldn’t having more guns in the upcoming fights be an advantage?

Honestly the entire movie felt sloppy, and whether that was due to reshoots from them (rightfully) excising a sex-pest from the cast, or bad writing/direction from the get go (Zack Snyder strikes again), it was a fairly flat let-down the whole way through. It didn’t lean far enough into the camp if humor were their goal, and didn’t have crisp enough action or editing to make for a compelling shoot-em-up. Unfortunate all around.

Also at the end, what happened to Kate’s friend, the mother? The person who was the entire point of her going in, separating from the group, and getting people killed? Did she just get splatted in the helicopter and that was that? Even Tig Notaro’s death got a passing mention, and there was zero emotional stake in that character.

My gf and I watched that a couple days ago, and yeah that movie had a lot of weird issues. We asked the exact same thing about the mom, she just vanishes and is never mentioned again. The biggest issue I had with the film is that it's just filled with incrediy stupid people whose stupidity gets everyone killed. Geeta, for going in like an idiot, Kate for following her in like an idiot, then running off despite not even knowing if Geeta was alive or if she was even in the Olympus, the whole crew for not just locking themselves in the safe until the bombs cleared, the company man for trying to get people killed for reasons(?), Guzeman's friend not yelling out that company man tried to get her killed, Guzeman for not shooting the zombies around her, Coyote for staying behind despite the fact that getting on the chopper with the head as a hostage would've seen her escape, etc.

Yikes, many words. Also why the gently caress (I'd say this is a spoiler but it's literally never addressed at any point in the film) were there robot zombies????? And why does no one ever mention it?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

The theme song makes it abundantly clear.

quote:

Three Typical Average kids
inside a haunted mansion
Just by a chance freed a ghost
who made them Beetleborgs

Perfectly reasonable.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
tfw you free a ghost and it turns you into a beetleborg

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

Morpheus posted:

Yikes, many words. Also why the gently caress (I'd say this is a spoiler but it's literally never addressed at any point in the film) were there robot zombies????? And why does no one ever mention it?

Thank you! I knew I had forgotten at least one other thing. It seems like such an insane element to keep in the movie when it’s never referenced before or after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

FreshFeesh posted:

Thank you! I knew I had forgotten at least one other thing. It seems like such an insane element to keep in the movie when it’s never referenced before or after.

I remember seeing one get shot in the head and fall down and it looked like a terminator head but I thought nah I must have misinterpreted what I saw that makes no sense on several levels