Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Bread!

I've gone back to 100% hand kneading, and I think I am getting better results. Two medium loaves rather than one big one as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

effika posted:

Pao de Queijo is a Brazilian tapioca flour roll with cheese in the middle. They sell it frozen at Target if you want to try it before committing. Really hard to go wrong with starch + cheese.

And seconding all the almond flour cookie love! Fantastic stuff there.

I made the pao de queijo once. It was hard to get them to puff properly and tapioca flour makes for a funky mouthfeel, but they're pretty good for GF.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

For people who are using a stand mixer to knead, how long and at what setting are you doing it?

I have an old tilt-head kitchenaid with a “C” dough hook. I’d like to get the spiral, but it’s only for lift bowl models.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Dacap posted:

For people who are using a stand mixer to knead, how long and at what setting are you doing it?

I have an old tilt-head kitchenaid with a “C” dough hook. I’d like to get the spiral, but it’s only for lift bowl models.

Always level 2 (recommended). Duration depends heavily on dough type. Plain white takes much less than wholemeal. Higher hydration takes longer (in my experience).

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011
I start at 1 and wait for it to attach itself to the hook (e.g. it comes together) then I do level 2 for a short while and then let it rest and repeat. I also do at least an hour autolyse beforehand because with high hydration it otherwise never gets 'picked up'. If it doesn't get picked up I don't worry about it and continue with the rest of my process (stretch and folding every 30 minutes for 3 hours).

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Dacap posted:

So for sourdough I'm just using the mixer for the inital mix, just a few minutes to get it all mixed and start to form a ball. Then it's bulk fermentation and stretch and folds for that time. Low speed, 2-3 max really.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
KA is very specific that bread should only be kneaded on 2. It’s geared for that to reduce wear on the gears and motor.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i think the "windowpane test" is overrated but if i'm kneading at all, i will knead a dough in a mixer until i can get a good stretch on it. this is for lean doughs like pizza; for something like brioche or bagels or whatever, it gets kneaded for 15-20 minutes.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Thanks everyone. I saw someone say to knead it on a high speed but when I tried the dough wouldn’t hold its shape, so I’ll stick to the #2 setting.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Dacap posted:

Can you post a pic of the spiral? My kitchen maid from like 2015 came with a dough hook.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

bolind posted:

Can you post a pic of the spiral? My kitchen maid from like 2015 came with a dough hook.

I think most KAs come with the C hook, and spiral is only sold as an optional accessory. Tilt head models have a bowl that’s too shallow for them to work. My understanding is the spiral hook is kneading the dough against the bottom of the bowl, while the C hook is more against the sides of the bowl.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Only time I go higher than 2 is on pain de mie if I'm having trouble incorporating the butter. Can briefly beat the poo poo out of it on a 3 or 4 to break down the pats.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

therattle posted:

KA is very specific that bread should only be kneaded on 2. It’s geared for that to reduce wear on the gears and motor.

Mine just says do not exceed 2 (implying 1 is fine too).

See here (bottom of page): https://www.handleidi.ng/kitchenaid/artisan-mixer/handleiding?p=14

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

LPG Giant posted:

Mine just says do not exceed 2 (implying 1 is fine too).

See here (bottom of page): https://www.handleidi.ng/kitchenaid/artisan-mixer/handleiding?p=14

Ok. Thanks. The point still stands that you shouldn’t knead above 2.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Mostly happy with my loaf this morning, but I’ve been having problems with lopsided spring recently, always on the “cut” side of the loaf where I scored.
It feels like my dough always seems flatter than it should coming out of the banneton.

Is my problem here overproofing, shaping or not enough strength building?

Dacap fucked around with this message at 18:25 on May 13, 2021

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Just pulled this sesame seed Pullman out

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Dacap posted:

I think most KAs come with the C hook, and spiral is only sold as an optional accessory. Tilt head models have a bowl that’s too shallow for them to work. My understanding is the spiral hook is kneading the dough against the bottom of the bowl, while the C hook is more against the sides of the bowl.

The one that came with mine looked like this (and sucked):

I think you guys are right, the one Dacap posted only works with the bigger model.

Also I note that KA finally got their head out of their rear end and now offers a stainless steel hook that, presumably, goes in the dishwasher. About loving time.

Many moons ago I promised to post a pic of my custom sized baking steel. Well here we go:

400x455mm. 8mm thick.

It's pretty awesome, allows me to bake three loaves at once:

As you can see, I struggle with some uneven browning/charring. Ideally they should be turned midway through, but I feel I lose a bunch of heat that way plus it's a bit of an operation.

I also made "varme hveder" which are wheat buns with cardamom, traditionally consumed the night before Store Bededag. Turned out alright. To be eaten still a bit warm with ungodly amounts of butter.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

I have the same KA hook and it works okish, made pizza dough with it yesterday and I found it works better with larger amounts of dough such as 750gr flour and up. Basically bonus pizza and I am cool with that.

Ok, I need this in my life, the kardemom sounds awesome

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Does that not mess up the heat circulation in your oven?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Keetron posted:

I have the same KA hook and it works okish, made pizza dough with it yesterday and I found it works better with larger amounts of dough such as 750gr flour and up. Basically bonus pizza and I am cool with that.

Ok, I need this in my life, the kardemom sounds awesome

This is the recipe I used - in moonspeak but should be decipherable with a bit of Google Translate help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BOKY1RrGnY
(There's a recipe in the video description.)

Otherwise let me know and I'll translate.

Aramoro posted:

Does that not mess up the heat circulation in your oven?

Good question!

My bread baking setting has some, but not a ton, of circulation. For other things, I have no idea.

I could try and move it down and report back. I initially moved it up as I figured that's where the steam would be; as you can see in the bottom, I dump hot water into a tray when I put in the loaves.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

bolind posted:

Good question!

My bread baking setting has some, but not a ton, of circulation. For other things, I have no idea.

I could try and move it down and report back. I initially moved it up as I figured that's where the steam would be; as you can see in the bottom, I dump hot water into a tray when I put in the loaves.

I've been thinking about getting something like this for my oven but thats my main concern, that it would mess up the baking. You were getting a little scorching, is that the loaves nearest the walls of the oven?

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

bolind posted:

The one that came with mine looked like this (and sucked):

I think you guys are right, the one Dacap posted only works with the bigger model.

Also I note that KA finally got their head out of their rear end and now offers a stainless steel hook that, presumably, goes in the dishwasher. About loving time.

Yeah, I have a 25 yr old tilt head KA and I’m stuck with the c-hook like you posted unless I eventually upgrade to a lift bowl model

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
The trick is to get a 100-year-old 20-quart Hobart that you can't lift up to counter height by yourself. Then you replace the old grease and rebuild the transmission. Then that grease turns out to be poo poo and you do it all again a few years later. On the other hand, the motor thinks kneading a 5 pound sack of flour's worth of bread is boring.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Aramoro posted:

I've been thinking about getting something like this for my oven but thats my main concern, that it would mess up the baking. You were getting a little scorching, is that the loaves nearest the walls of the oven?

It’s everything that faces the back, ie where the fan is. Interestingly it’s way more pronounced at 250°C than at 240°C.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Hey, a couple pages back, someone mentioned the King Arthur English Muffin Toasting Bread recipe. I'm thinking of trying it out, but I'm wondering how you'd go about subbing starter in various states into it instead of instant yeast. Like, if you've got 100% hydration unfed starter in your fridge, how much would you sub in place? Or what about if the yeast has had a couple feedings and a day or two to wake up first?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

KA Blog post using that recipe as an example:Adding sourdough to a recipe

When it works, how to do it

Basically assume starter/discard is 50/50 water/flour and adjust the recipe weights based on that.

Edit: they have suggestions for both live and discard.

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 17, 2021

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Thanks for that! It always seems like they have some new article or recipe or something that fits perfectly with what I'm looking for.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
English muffins?

English muffins!?

English muffins!

Laughing my rear end off that I decided to check on this thread after literally alarmclocking making english muffins this morning, and that's almost what ya'll are talking about.

E: My recipe:

The wet
400g of milk
100g water
60g (1/4 cup) butter
200g starter (my starter's typically around 100% hydration)

The dry
700g white ap
7g gluten (I tend not to keep bread flour on hand)
10g of salt

Heat milk to 60C (140F), then add the butter and (room temp) water to this, the butter will melt and it will also bring the temp of the milk down, but it should stay fairly warm, I dunno what it is, but I get better nooks and crannies this way. I go with 60C just because that negates any chance at killing my starter when it goes in after the butter finishes melting. I whisk this to combine (it'll be a little lumpy but this doesn't matter) but the starter could go in after the first rest if that's the way you do things.

I also find that adding the dry to the wet works better with my stand mixer, and results in not having to stop and scrape down the bowl as much (if even at all) so the wet goes in the bowl first and then I top it with the dry (minus the salt) though I kinda half-rear end sift it. Run my 5qt bowl lift at speed setting 4 or 5, whatever that is, until things come together, about a minute. If it's a batter, add more flour, if it's not ridiculously sticky, add some water. Rest for 30, then add the salt and knead on speed 2 or 3 until the salt's worked in. Still fairly warm by this point and almost a batter-like consistency. I bulk for however long it takes to double, roll it out (on a well-floured surface, but it's a lot easier to handle by this point) to somewhere around 3/8" thickness, and cut 3" rounds out with a milk frother because I don't have biscuit cutters.

Proof on sheet pans lined with parchment with a nice layer of cornmeal to keep it from sticking, once proofed, get some pans up on med-low heat and bake! Makes somewhere between 16-24 depending on how thick you roll the dough and what size you make the muffins.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 15:26 on May 18, 2021

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Just baked some sourdough!

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Dacap posted:

Just pulled this sesame seed Pullman out

That's a pretty loaf

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Crumb shot! It's 70% whole wheat 30% bread flour

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So, I'm making the English Muffin Toasting Bread recipe I linked earlier. The only thing I didn't follow was that I had active dry yeast instead of the instant yeast the recipe called for. So, instead of adding the yeast to the dry product, I added it to the warm liquid and gave it a few minutes to wake up before adding it into the dry. It's been rising now for 45 minutes, and it's only filled the loaf pan about half way, instead of being at the top like the recipe called for. Did I gently caress things up horribly, or do I just need to give the dough more time to rise?

EDIT: My kitchen's above 70F right now, as it's hot as balls out today and I'm insane for making bread.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Double post-ish. Bread turned out ok in the end. A bit short, but I attribute that to we had to leave, so I couldn't let it rise more. Tasty though. I'll just have to get the right yeast next time.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

neogeo0823 posted:

So, I'm making the English Muffin Toasting Bread recipe I linked earlier. The only thing I didn't follow was that I had active dry yeast instead of the instant yeast the recipe called for. So, instead of adding the yeast to the dry product, I added it to the warm liquid and gave it a few minutes to wake up before adding it into the dry. It's been rising now for 45 minutes, and it's only filled the loaf pan about half way, instead of being at the top like the recipe called for. Did I gently caress things up horribly, or do I just need to give the dough more time to rise?

EDIT: My kitchen's above 70F right now, as it's hot as balls out today and I'm insane for making bread.

neogeo0823 posted:

Double post-ish. Bread turned out ok in the end. A bit short, but I attribute that to we had to leave, so I couldn't let it rise more. Tasty though. I'll just have to get the right yeast next time.

I haven't used active dry yeast in a few years so I'm mostly just going off what I read online, but King Arthur Baking I think generally says that it'll sub in just fine but will take longer to rise. When I make the English Muffin bread with instant yeast it often takes longer than the recipe says to rise fully, even in my quite-warm kitchen (rarely colder than ~75 F). So yeah, it sounds entirely reasonable that it could have just been a slow poke. The crumb looks great, even if the full shape is looking a smidge stumpy.

And then just, I guess, an outside chance that your liquids were a bit on the warm side for proofing the yeast. I know the recipe says 120-130 F, which I think is at least getting close to making yeasties unhappy.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Had a good bread day

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I was gifted some really good grapefruit jelly, so I decided to try my hand at English Muffins as a vehicle to stuff it all in my mouth.

Dough is very sticky and a little hard to work with given my, uh, lackluster skills at shaping

Some spots on the griddle are just a taaaad hotter than the others

The came out really really well though for the most part. The taste is excellent, really light and yeasty inside and great crunch on the top and bottom.

Not quite as many nooks and crannies as I'd have guessed, but the timings I had with the first rise and then proofing were not exactly very attentive.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
I really enjoy the crunchy pizza crusts, so much so that sometimes I just eat the crust and then the rest later if at all.
So can you guys recommend me a bitchin crunchy breadstick recipe? I am a decent bread baker by recipe

e this entire page is just delicious

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Are you British?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Gwaihir posted:

I was gifted some really good grapefruit jelly, so I decided to try my hand at English Muffins as a vehicle to stuff it all in my mouth.

Dough is very sticky and a little hard to work with given my, uh, lackluster skills at shaping

Some spots on the griddle are just a taaaad hotter than the others

The came out really really well though for the most part. The taste is excellent, really light and yeasty inside and great crunch on the top and bottom.

Not quite as many nooks and crannies as I'd have guessed, but the timings I had with the first rise and then proofing were not exactly very attentive.

Those look a lot like my first attempt, and I bet they smell and taste the part, good job!

I shape my english muffins by rolling the dough out around 3/8" thick and using a 3' round as a cutter. Being almost a batter, the recipe I use is way too wet to deal with hand shaping ime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Yeah, after doing a couple just sorta freehand, I did end up rolling the dough in to a bit of a log and just using my bench scraper to chop it. Rolling and then cookie cutter-ing would have worked better though.

The recipe was just the King Arthur one: https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/english-muffins-recipe