Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

actionjackson posted:

still waiting for a guy to come back to replace the mouldings and door (lol) but the toilet and electric bidet seat are installed! drat this thing is awesome

First time with a bidet seat? They are life changing, in that you won't ever want to drop a deuce anywhere else.

e: what a lovely snype :nexus:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
First bidet bought for our house, too not yet installed, though). Never used and I don't think I'll like them but wife is going to turn me into a believer.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Enos Cabell posted:

First time with a bidet seat? They are life changing, in that you won't ever want to drop a deuce anywhere else.

e: what a lovely snype :nexus:

I had a non-electric one (kohler puretide), just decided to get an outlet put in and upgrade

it definitely is an investment though with the cost of putting in the new outlet and then having the drywall repaired and repainted

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Motronic posted:

Getting a permit signed off on where a basement drain was required by code?

Getting a permit signed off that says the basement drain can no longer run to the sanitary sewer (which is now also a thing)

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

BigPaddy posted:

Artificial grass is down.

The dogs prefer it prefer it over the course gravel :v: about 1300sqft was $9000 installed. That included removing the old gravel, leveling the yard and laying the grass. You could probably get it done cheaper but I picked a premium artificial grass that is non uniform in blade colour and length with a 25 year warranty. Of course they trashed the real grass out front with their skid steer so I have to deal with them taking up and laying new sod there now and withholding the last part of the bill until it is done.

Sweet Brady bunch yard. For real tho how do you maintain it? Looks like you're in some desert or tropical area.. do you.. vacuum it or something? I'd assume it will get dusty. And for dog poop.. hose and then carpet cleaner?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

It is perforated so you just hose it down when needed. Main thing is not letting windows reflect on to it so it doesn’t melt.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Congrats on your clean and fresh bhole

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

Chipmunks have dug holes all over our garage and are living in the garage siding. What’s the best way to take care of them? I don’t want to go on a chipmunk genocide but will live trapping be able to take care of 20+ chipmunks without them coming back? Or is my best best the wheel of death/family fun waterpark?

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I was planning on installing an outlet just for one of those, what does code say about locating the outlet? I have a wire ran up to the junction box in the attic in case it need its own circuit.

When soffit and fascia is installed how tight should the gaps be? I have a significant amount of wasps and hornets flying in the gap between the soffit and the siding in several spots. I think I need to get the company who installed it to come back out and fix it.

For chipmunks I found having a stray cat living in one of my greenhouses took care of them digging up any seeds after I planted them. After they are evicted you need something they cant chew through to keep them from coming back, my grandma had an issue in her attic where they would chew through the wood trim every time it was repaired until some metal was put up there.

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Motronic posted:

Getting a permit signed off on where a basement drain was required by code?

Dammit you're probably right, that sucks. I was counting on that drain for some things. What am I looking at for fixing it? Is it possible to trench it to a known existing drain?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Ball Tazeman posted:

Chipmunks have dug holes all over our garage and are living in the garage siding. What’s the best way to take care of them? I don’t want to go on a chipmunk genocide but will live trapping be able to take care of 20+ chipmunks without them coming back? Or is my best best the wheel of death/family fun waterpark?
I would wait until baby season is over because I think you're going to regret having 40 or 50 dead babies in your walls

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
There are pros you can hire (look for wildlife removal). I'm having someone come on Monday to look a look at some squirrels in the attic. $249 to come out and do the inspection and figure out where they're getting in, $650 to trap and remove the animals, and then when they do the inspection they'll give a price for sealing the attic up. I've actually got some young squirrels up there, and if they catch one and find she's nursing they'll let it go and wait until she's not. Because if she's nursing the babies won't move into a trap and just die. So they'll let them get old enough to move and leave on their own before they seal it up.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Gods_Butthole posted:

Dammit you're probably right, that sucks. I was counting on that drain for some things. What am I looking at for fixing it? Is it possible to trench it to a known existing drain?

If by "trench" you mean actually breaking up concrete and digging then yeah, of course. That's how you fix pipes below a slab.

What you'd have to figure out if if there are any existing drains/the lateral out of the house that you can get sufficient to. If not, you're looking at installing a pit and pumping it.

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

Per the advice of the thread, I'm going to install laminate floating floors over our existing floors rather than deal with the hassle of refinishing them now. This seems like it will be pretty straightforward, but most of the guides I've watched/read are under the assumption that you already have baseboards and you'll be working around them. Like the peel-n-stick vinyl tile on the floor, the previous owners decided to go for peel-n-stick vinyl baseboards as well:

Obviously this has gotta go, so my question is this: do you think it'd make more sense to a) lay the floor first, then install the new baseboards OR b) do the baseboards first, then floors? Going with option A seems like it will be the easiest now, while option B means less work if we decided to refinish the hardwood underneath in a few years, since we won't have a big ol' gap between them and the floor to deal with.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I need to drill a hole in my kitchen floor for an ice maker water supply. I'm as sure as I can be (without cutting out a piece and sending it to be tested) that the sheet laminate has asbestos in it.

I'm aware of the shaving cream method for controlling the asbestos while I drill, but I'm wondering if I need to do anything to the hole to "seal" it once I'm done to keep the supply line from knocking loose any asbestos when it bumps up against the edge?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Bingo Bango posted:

Per the advice of the thread, I'm going to install laminate floating floors over our existing floors rather than deal with the hassle of refinishing them now. This seems like it will be pretty straightforward, but most of the guides I've watched/read are under the assumption that you already have baseboards and you'll be working around them. Like the peel-n-stick vinyl tile on the floor, the previous owners decided to go for peel-n-stick vinyl baseboards as well:

Obviously this has gotta go, so my question is this: do you think it'd make more sense to a) lay the floor first, then install the new baseboards OR b) do the baseboards first, then floors? Going with option A seems like it will be the easiest now, while option B means less work if we decided to refinish the hardwood underneath in a few years, since we won't have a big ol' gap between them and the floor to deal with.

I may just not get it but I don't see how option b will help you for the future and it'll probably look like rear end in the meantime. It depends on the brand but generally LVP wants a quarter inch gap laterally and at least 1/8"of space above it to allow expansion. If you place the baseboards to their future position now (I'm assuming the floor will lose a bit of height when you redo it) it'll be too tight for the floating floor. I think whatever you end up doing, you may need to adjust the baseboards when you refinish the floor.

You just bought the place, yeah? Don't deeply undercut any door trim or anything, but install the floor like you're going to be looking at it for a couple years, because I think once you get the floating floor in, a refinish is going to become a lower priority than whatever else you have going on in the house. It may as well look competent. The better LVP brands aren't the least expensive flooring in the world, and as long as you don't have it in direct sunlight and drop a bunch of poo poo onto it all the time, you may have it in there longer than you're intending right now.

E: if you're going for a wood laminate I think MDF is a little more dimensionally stable than vinyl, but you'll likely still need margins for expansion. Your product install sheet will specify.

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 16:46 on May 23, 2021

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

FISHMANPET posted:

I need to drill a hole in my kitchen floor for an ice maker water supply. I'm as sure as I can be (without cutting out a piece and sending it to be tested) that the sheet laminate has asbestos in it.

I'm aware of the shaving cream method for controlling the asbestos while I drill, but I'm wondering if I need to do anything to the hole to "seal" it once I'm done to keep the supply line from knocking loose any asbestos when it bumps up against the edge?

For a single one inch size hole just wear a n95 mask and keep it wet. Wipe clean and put whatever caulk you would normally use. It doesn't matter.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Bingo Bango posted:

That is called "cove molding" or more accurately "vinyl wall base molding". Pull it off the walls, install the floor and put it right back up with construction adhesive.

Do not install proper baseboards now if your long term plan is going to involve things that will require you to remove the baseboards. Use what you already have.

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

BonerGhost posted:

I may just not get it but I don't see how option b will help you for the future and it'll probably look like rear end in the meantime. It depends on the brand but generally LVP wants a quarter inch gap laterally and at least 1/8"of space above it to allow expansion. If you place the baseboards to their future position now (I'm assuming the floor will lose a bit of height when you redo it) it'll be too tight for the floating floor. I think whatever you end up doing, you may need to adjust the baseboards when you refinish the floor.

You just bought the place, yeah? Don't deeply undercut any door trim or anything, but install the floor like you're going to be looking at it for a couple years, because I think once you get the floating floor in, a refinish is going to become a lower priority than whatever else you have going on in the house. It may as well look competent. The better LVP brands aren't the least expensive flooring in the world, and as long as you don't have it in direct sunlight and drop a bunch of poo poo onto it all the time, you may have it in there longer than you're intending right now.

E: if you're going for a wood laminate I think MDF is a little more dimensionally stable than vinyl, but you'll likely still need margins for expansion. Your product install sheet will specify.

I think reading this helped me realize that I was sort of kidding myself with the "down the line we'll refinish" logic, so thank you for that! Realistically, with redoing the kitchen, back porch, and finishing the basement, the next 3-5 years are already looking jam packed and I'm hoping that if we do a good job with installing new floors now I'm not really going to care about what we could have had with the original ones.

Luckily, much of the door trim is also getting replaced later this year, so at least I don't have to stress about undercutting the trim - much of it is barely hanging on to the walls as it is.

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

Re: basement chat, the basement in the home we just purchased is enormous. It's 1200 sq ft with 9 ft ceilings excluding the 300 sqft we'll keep unfinished for access. It's a walkout with double french doors leading outside and 2 large windows on either side of the doors. There's a company in Connecticut that specializes in refinishing basements https://www.connecticutbasementsystems.com/. They have a bunch of patents on various materials and all materials used are waterproof. Anecdotally, locals seem to be quite happy with them but I'm not sure how scammy it is. This company is on par with other contractors price wise, and we're tempted to go with them and just finish it in smaller stages. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Anyone have one of those retractable outdoor awnings? Been thinking about getting one for above my seating area out on the desk. Probably the hand-crank variety.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

amethystbliss posted:

Re: basement chat, the basement in the home we just purchased is enormous. It's 1200 sq ft with 9 ft ceilings excluding the 300 sqft we'll keep unfinished for access.

Your basement is the size of our 4 bedroom house.

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

peanut posted:

Your basement is the size of our 4 bedroom house.
Yeah...my basement is larger than any home I've ever lived in up til now. Moved from the Bay Area where my family of 5 lived in tiny places to now having a big house in the suburbs on the east coast. It's disorienting.

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Anyone have one of those retractable outdoor awnings? Been thinking about getting one for above my seating area out on the desk. Probably the hand-crank variety.
We have an electric one in the home we just bought and really love it so far.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

I DIY-installed one of these types of folding-arm awnings:
https://awningrepublic.com.au/folding-arm-awnings-perth/

It has a removable hand crank and is pretty quick to put out or take down, which is good because you have to take them down in high winds.
Shade coverage is not the best because the overall size is necessarily a bit limited.
The brochure for those awnings says Maximum Width 5500, Maximum Projection 3500, ideally you can have both of those stats maxed simultaneously?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Anybody have a sofa from Article? I've had an Ikea sofa for about 2.5 months now and I've come to the conclusion that it's really just not comfortable and I'm probably gonna return it. I'm not keen on buying a sofa I haven't put my butt in first, but
1) that method didn't seem to help me this time!!! and
2) their return policy is extremely generous

Gonna have to rent a drat van to return this thing and it feels a little lovely even though Ikea does accept returns of used furniture. I spent forever researching sofas the first time around so now I don't even know where to start.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Just bought a house. what a bad idea!

no home appliances inside. Samsung really makes some cool stuff. should I just pay outright for all samsung, or is it better to piece in, like, a bosch dishwasher instead?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Unless there’s some amazing deal from buying everything, I would just piece together what you like.

My appliances are all within a few months of each other and LG or Sarnsung but that’s mainly because that’s what Costco sells.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

It's basically "appliance sale weekend" right now so you least picked a good time to buy a house

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Piece together, different brands do different things better (Bosch apparently is the dishwasher king, Samsung fridge ice makers are garbage. Etc). There's a severe appliance shortage right now so depending on your timeline you may be limited. Some things are available next week, but those tend to be high end luxury brands, while some others are showing 8 to 12 weeks to December for us (Cali). I'd check out a large appliance warehouse to start and look at what's already in stock.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

papa horny michael posted:

Just bought a house. what a bad idea!

no home appliances inside. Samsung really makes some cool stuff. should I just pay outright for all samsung, or is it better to piece in, like, a bosch dishwasher instead?

Don't buy Samsung appliances. They're garbage. Bosch is the dishwasher king but honestly anything modern is going to be fine as long as you steer clear of Fridgidaire builder grade stuff. Get mid-range everything and it will all be... fine.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

H110Hawk posted:

Don't buy Samsung appliances. They're garbage. Bosch is the dishwasher king but honestly anything modern is going to be fine as long as you steer clear of Fridgidaire builder grade stuff. Get mid-range everything and it will all be... fine.

<:mad:>

Hey now, the dumb old Frigidaire that came with our house has been perfectly adequate at keeping our food cold and not up and dying/malfunctioning in some convoluted Samsung-esque way that requires an officially licensed repairman and expensive parts and failure to honor the warranty and whatever.

My friend was just talking about his Samsung washer and dryer that he picked up on the cheap from a dings and dents place. He complained about the hilariously complex interface and the silly sequence of buttons he needs to push just get the drat things to wash/dry his clothes. I much prefer machines with straightforward control panels with dials (like Speed Queen or Maytag commercial tech models).

For other appliances, yeah, just get them piece by piece and then you can play to the strengths of different brands (downside of a matching set - jack of all trades, master of none and all that).

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Queen Victorian posted:

<:mad:>

Hey now, the dumb old Frigidaire that came with our house has been perfectly adequate at keeping our food cold and not up and dying/malfunctioning in some convoluted Samsung-esque way that requires an officially licensed repairman and expensive parts and failure to honor the warranty and whatever.

I was specifically referring to dishwashers. :v:

Our fridgidaire microwave poo poo the bed by starting to turn on randomly if you slammed the door shut too hard. Including if the latch didn't catch. Good thing microwaves aren't kilowatt human boilers right?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

Our fridgidaire microwave poo poo the bed by starting to turn on randomly if you slammed the door shut too hard. Including if the latch didn't catch. Good thing microwaves aren't kilowatt human boilers right?

That is a terrifying failure state.

We have whirlpool HE laundry machines with the million buttons and I love it. The only thing I don't like about it is not being able to turn on fan fresh after the cycle has started. Athletic clothes left overnight will be drat near dry by morning and it's great.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

H110Hawk posted:

Lol they make dishwashers and microwaves? I had no idea.

They should probably stick to making frigid air because they're okay at doing that. A basic Frigidaire fridge is a fine choice for a noncritical garage/basement beer fridge. :shrug:

After we remodel the kitchen we'll most likely hold onto ours and put it in the basement for beer and party/holiday overflow.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

We have mostly Samsung appliances from the previous owners and nothing has died yet but they’re all about 5-7 years old. The fridge has been good (no water/ice dispenser). Washer/dryer is adequate but I’ll get a different brand when it’s time for a new one. There are simultaneously a lot of options and little flexibility to actually select things you want.

That said, due to their internet reputation I’m expecting to need to replace them fairly soon. The laundry machines are squeaking and we’ve already done minor but necessary repairs.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

My Samsung french door fridge, with icemaker and water dispenser, is about 4 years old and no issues so far. Actually, I bought this specific model because it was well-reviewed, especially when it comes to temperature stability (which improves shelf life and reduces freezer burn). It was sort of their mid-tier model, high-end for a french door fridge but not one of the stupid built-in-screen things. The interior is very well-designed and I'm quite happy with it

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Sirotan posted:

Anybody have a sofa from Article? I've had an Ikea sofa for about 2.5 months now and I've come to the conclusion that it's really just not comfortable and I'm probably gonna return it. I'm not keen on buying a sofa I haven't put my butt in first, but
1) that method didn't seem to help me this time!!! and
2) their return policy is extremely generous

Gonna have to rent a drat van to return this thing and it feels a little lovely even though Ikea does accept returns of used furniture. I spent forever researching sofas the first time around so now I don't even know where to start.

I have article chairs, and they are fine. Definitely seem a step up from Ashley or the like but a tier down from my calico corners couch. The seat and arm padding doesn't feel like it is going to hold up over time, but it may, I've only had them for a couple months.

ErikTheRed
Mar 12, 2007

My name is Deckard Cain and I've come on out to greet ya, so sit your ass and listen or I'm gonna have to beat ya.
Any suggestions for a new fridge? It seems like Samsung is not well liked here. Our 12 year old GE Profile fridge is dying and I don't think $500 to repair it is a worthwhile investment. Not looking for anything too fancy, just a french door model with ice/water dispenser.

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

Oh hello.

So she’s living under the shed. I’ve definitely never dealt with wildlife trapping. Is a groundhog something I can catch and release safely on my own or should I get a wildlife control expert?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

It isn't hard to catch a groundhog, you could do it with a havahart trap and some bait. The tricky thing is going to be making sure there are no babies or you're able to catch all of them too if you've caught their mom. It's also illegal to relocate them in a lot of places, so if you hire someone to remove them they will probably end up being euthanized.

The Humane Society also recommends just waiting for baby season to be over and she/they will most likely move on: https://www.humanesociety.org/resources/scrap-trap-when-evicting-wildlife. At that point, seal up all the entrances so nobody can come back next spring.