Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Pennfalath posted:

After completing P5R, I must still have missed something: What's up with Yoshisawa's phone malfunctioning all the time? Is it from the accident? Fake Igor? Just crappy?
Or did I just forget the explanation?

Wiki says that she was using her sister's phone, which was damaged in the car crash. After she awakens properly, her phone starts functioning fine. Likely a combination of Metaverse-cognition stuff and Maruki's powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

Pennfalath posted:

After completing P5R, I must still have missed something: What's up with Yoshisawa's phone malfunctioning all the time? Is it from the accident? Fake Igor? Just crappy?
Or did I just forget the explanation?
I don't remember if this holds true for every single instance, but at least for a decent chunk of them there's a good chance that whatever she was doing with her phone involved her real name coming up. That'd throw her cognition into correction mode, which manifests as either the phone reacting weirdly or her just thinking that her phone is reacting weirdly.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Maxed out the Sun social link (drama club) and rip my heart out of my chest with that rejection. That’s on the same level as Haru :smith:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah Drama is mostly memorable for that one scene and uh... honestly, not much else.

Sun's not a great link.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Sun (music) has at least a cute relatable story about not being a doormat.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

ApplesandOranges posted:

Yeah Drama is mostly memorable for that one scene and uh... honestly, not much else.

Sun's not a great link.
The general idea of Yumi's link is kind of interesting. There's probably a pretty good story to be gotten from "girl coping with the imminent death of her deadbeat father she still loves despite it all", but Persona is not the game series to handle a subject like that with any level of nuance.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

girl dick energy posted:

The general idea of Yumi's link is kind of interesting. There's probably a pretty good story to be gotten from "girl coping with the imminent death of her deadbeat father she still loves despite it all", but Persona is not the game series to handle a subject like that with any level of nuance.

I dunno, I think the uhhhhh little girl in the park social link from P3 was the good kind of sad and in retrospect seems a lot like a prototype for the Nanako link.

P4 has a lot of links that have really good little nuggets that feel like a weird standout considering how boring the rest of the link is. Ei's link is really unique but is hidden behind so many boring encounters that most people never even get to the halfway mark.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I dunno, I think the uhhhhh little girl in the park social link from P3 was the good kind of sad and in retrospect seems a lot like a prototype for the Nanako link.
Oh, absolutely. Same with FeMC's Sun, with the terminally ill man. But there are many more links that fumble this kind of thing than land it.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Terminally ill man, who IIRC is named Akinari, is the Sun link in vanilla P3, or at least FES, because I remember him and I've never played Portable.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

girl dick energy posted:

Oh, absolutely. Same with FeMC's Sun, with the terminally ill man. But there are many more links that fumble this kind of thing than land it.

Yeah Ive done incredibly long writeups about this in the past but I honestly think the writing team just does not have that great of chops. Especially as P4 shifted more toward a comedy, the percentage of things that they fumble get higher and higher. When rewatching the P4 Endurance Run I always skip eps 50/100 which are both of the school trips because god they're just not funny

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I poked at doing a write-up of my opinions on how well each character and S-Link matches its arcana in P3P, but I only did the first few and got hit by the good old :effort:.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Yeah Ive done incredibly long writeups about this in the past but I honestly think the writing team just does not have that great of chops. Especially as P4 shifted more toward a comedy, the percentage of things that they fumble get higher and higher. When rewatching the P4 Endurance Run I always skip eps 50/100 which are both of the school trips because god they're just not funny

I have been watching a streamer go through every Persona game and her successive disillusionment with every "bathhouse hijinks" bit in every game has been fun to see.

Even better with Persona 5 Strikers where she was like, "They did a bathhouse scene without some stupid misunderstanding, finally"... only to find there's a second bathhouse scene in the game lol

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, and that game was written after Hashino stopped working on Persona, so the idea that all of the modern games' writing problems could be blamed on him is looking a little less plausible now.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
who is the person in Atlus who loves humiliation femdom

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I think P4 does have good parts, but most of them are shuffled into the side links. Naoki's is a fantastic link, as are Dojima's and Nanako's. Yumi fumbles on the landing but the premise is good, as are the Sports Boys'. Ai's is pretty decent, as is Hisano (Death).

The main story honestly ages pretty badly, though, and the game does have its share of kinda dud links (Temperance, Tower, possibly Devil).

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Commander Keene posted:

Yeah, and that game was written after Hashino stopped working on Persona, so the idea that all of the modern games' writing problems could be blamed on him is looking a little less plausible now.

All of the really lovely parts of P4 are like, incredibly common Japanese stand-up comedy or variety show tropes/jokes. Like, watching a single episode of Batsu Game's "Try Not To Laugh" episodes is like watching a plot outline for all of the worst scenes in the game.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You guys didn't absolutely lose your poo poo at the twentieth "What if a woman cooked, but it was BAD!?" scene? gently caress man I totally lost it, I ain't seen poo poo that funny since that science feller turned himself into a pickle.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I remember the last time I checked in on that show to see if it was still a good example to use, I found the most recent episode and there was a part where the contestants (who are supposed to try not to laugh) are brought to a bus stop, and a man shows up who is dressed in a girl's school uniform. All the contestants completely erupt. Just from seeing the guy. That was the joke. This was in 2019

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Tail end of January and I got my last social link maxed that I think isn’t story based (one left)

Gonna spend my time finishing my compendium and either getting the quests finished or possibly getting the books all done. I don’t think I can do both...

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

You guys didn't absolutely lose your poo poo at the twentieth "What if a woman cooked, but it was BAD!?" scene? gently caress man I totally lost it, I ain't seen poo poo that funny since that science feller turned himself into a pickle.

The only good version of that scene in the entire series was the P5R bento box, and that because it had an actual payoff.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Based on another discussion (and considering this is my second time through NG anyway) I switched to Merciless difficulty for Palace 2

Wow, I actually have to use status effects lol, and I ended up using 3 revive items in a battle against a red shadow... Need Recarm soon...

On the other hand I learned about Persona traits as a new Royal thing... Jack Frost with 2SP Bufu (sometimes 1SP with Ann (Carmen)'s trait...) is some sick tech, I ended up doing 1000 damage on an enemy because Joker also procced the ability you get from Maruki's confidant

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Based on another discussion (and considering this is my second time through NG anyway) I switched to Merciless difficulty for Palace 2

Wow, I actually have to use status effects lol, and I ended up using 3 revive items in a battle against a red shadow... Need Recarm soon...

On the other hand I learned about Persona traits as a new Royal thing... Jack Frost with 2SP Bufu (sometimes 1SP with Ann (Carmen)'s trait...) is some sick tech, I ended up doing 1000 damage on an enemy because Joker also procced the ability you get from Maruki's confidant

The trait system is amazing and something I hope to see in future games.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Merciless rules, and traits are something that I hope stays in the series permanently, even going into SMT5. I like Devil Survivor because the difficulty really incentivizes you to do long chain-fusions to get good resistances on your party members because without it you can get totally wiped. This is similar, but instead of getting wiped, adding another step into your fusion chain to get a really strong trait makes you totally pop off

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I guess at some point I'm really going to have to start planning out the fusion metagame... on my first run the only time I ever paid attention/looked up a guide for fusion was for the Strength requests, otherwise it was just "slap together something to make the level go up"

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I guess at some point I'm really going to have to start planning out the fusion metagame... on my first run the only time I ever paid attention/looked up a guide for fusion was for the Strength requests, otherwise it was just "slap together something to make the level go up"

That's totally fine if you just want to beat the game

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Merciless rules, and traits are something that I hope stays in the series permanently, even going into SMT5. I like Devil Survivor because the difficulty really incentivizes you to do long chain-fusions to get good resistances on your party members because without it you can get totally wiped. This is similar, but instead of getting wiped, adding another step into your fusion chain to get a really strong trait makes you totally pop off
Yeah traits are great. Having a way to differentiate between demons is verygood, one of the biggest flaws in a lot of the Megaten games is how the demons can fall into archtypes e.g. Beefy dude, healer, Caster etc that you lose a bit of the cool factor in fusing some badass archduke of hell or crazy wheels inside wheels angel

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I'll be honest, Persona games are usually so simple that I never do any cool chainfusions. In Devil Survivor I've literally made flowcharts to plan out builds. In P5/R, the most complicated fusion I've done is for Seth. I noticed he has One Hit Kill, and White Rider has like two gun skills, so I tried to put all the gun and crit-boosting skills I could get on him and he ended up being so strong that from the moment I got him I almost never switched him out for the rest of the game until I got Yoshitsune at which point the game is just over

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I think the main thing is I did the first Velvet Room combat challenge and I am into what that mode is selling, I never did the optional boss stuff in the original P5 and I am guessing to do all that at S-tier I'm gonna need to have good "kit"

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I like doing fancy fusion chains in the late-game of a Persona game just because it lets you have a near-invulnerable super-Persona with crazy damage and it's fun. It's not strictly necessary by any means, but making something really powerful and then owning enemies with it is fun for its own sake for me.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Harrow posted:

I like doing fancy fusion chains in the late-game of a Persona game just because it lets you have a near-invulnerable super-Persona with crazy damage and it's fun. It's not strictly necessary by any means, but making something really powerful and then owning enemies with it is fun for its own sake for me.

I would typically agree with you (I did the same thing in P3P where I made a totally juiced-up Mara because in that version he's got the special fire skill) but the strongest damage Persona in any of the series is always just Yoshitsune who doesn't even need to be chain fused to be busted as hell, he already comes pre-equipped with Focus. At least in P5R you've got a couple different options for traits, even though the one that boosts the damage of charge/focus is probably objectively the strongest

It's kind of weird to me that the Persona series is so resistant to putting in bosses that are, like, even strong against Phys, much less null/repel/drain, considering that's usually like the ultimate challenge of most other mainline series games is "hey you can't just spam phys skills on this one unless you've done the work to get ahold of Pierce"

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 22:45 on May 23, 2021

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Persona Strikers is just "Area Man Gets Bullied by Seven Teens and a Cat" and I love it.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Merciless basically forces you to play well which in many ways makes it easier than hard other than for boss fights and the chance of Joker dying to a random crit. (I lost twice to the same couple of Jack-o-Lanterns and haven't died since in my merciless playthrough). The other thing I hope they keep as a permanent thing from Royal are Baton Passes (which I know are in the base game - but your newest party member won't be rank 2). And for that matter disaster shadows to mix things up occasionally.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Yeah I was the one who originally spurred him to play Merciless in the chat thread specifically because it makes the game way easier because of all the huge-damage combos you can set up with status ailments and baton passes

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The really cool part about Traits is that Thermopylae is finally useful and great.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Harrow posted:

This.

I challenged myself in my playthrough to have one persona with all the strongest non-unique elemental spells and another with the best Gun skills/trait and a kickass animation that would go along with it.

A lot of crazy fusion chains were done and I definitely sunk more than a couple of hours into the effort, but I definitely had a blast doing it.

E:

anakha fucked around with this message at 02:01 on May 24, 2021

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Got to the end of golden on the vita and it just... crashed... cut scene cut out right in the middle of it playing and it’s now scrolling end game credits with no sound and no names. Just red text.

I feel like I’m losing my mind

Edit: found out I made a mistake anyways... but the last time I save was at the begining of the bonus dungeon...

I’m not ok with this

Edit 2: into the misery dungeon we go again... yes I’ll take that grief stone because that’s all I’m feeling right now

Edit 3: saved before the end this time. If it crashes again will need to give the vita back to the person I borrowed it from to reinstall it. At least I don’t have to fight that dungeon again

Spiffster fucked around with this message at 18:12 on May 24, 2021

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Playing P5 Strikers and just reached Wolf's Awakening, and hell yeah am I all-in for an Adult Persona Protagonist, even as just a party member in a spin-off. It doesn't hurt that Zenkichi's really been growing on me all game.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

DanielCross posted:

Playing P5 Strikers and just reached Wolf's Awakening, and hell yeah am I all-in for an Adult Persona Protagonist, even as just a party member in a spin-off. It doesn't hurt that Zenkichi's really been growing on me all game.

That moment is so much fun.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I’m so glad the game crashed now because I would have missed an entire different ending. NOW DONT CRASH ON ME THIS TIME

nanako mentions the gas station...
me:... OH GOD DAMMIT REALLY?! THATS WHY THEY ONLY APPEARED ON RAINY DAYS?!

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Spiffster posted:

hehehehehehehehe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Spiffster posted:

I’m so glad the game crashed now because I would have missed an entire different ending. NOW DONT CRASH ON ME THIS TIME

:sickos: