Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Apparently the system Glasto was using for the paid livestream has poo poo the bed so they've thrown a free stream up: https://watch.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/livestream-1/backup/livestream1.html

e: It was fuckin' good. Hopefully most of the songs are longer when (if) there's a studio release, most of them were crazy short.

stev fucked around with this message at 23:41 on May 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
They sound alright; the guitar noodling lines bleeding into one another was a nice touch.

e: Didn't realise they were playing a full set; I don't recognize any of these songs, but most of them sound pretty good. There's one in there near the end (with Thom on keys) that really gives off The Sound (Adrian Borland and co.) vibes.

MoaM fucked around with this message at 04:32 on May 23, 2021

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Finished listening as well. It ain't bad, but as someone who has been obsessed with A Moon Shaped Pool for over a year straight now, it didn't really do much to scratch that itch-- not that I really expected a side project to-- nor can I really expect whatever the next Radiohead album is to do so either since they change it up so much.

I feel like the second half of the set was the much stronger half. First couple songs didn't really grab me. Last 4 songs ranged from solid to pretty nice.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just finished watching and I liked it quite a bit! Hope they put out an album.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
This was an extremely nice surprise. Every track hit for me, and jesus Thom goes hard on bass.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

This is neat. Really like the compositions. First tune is up there with Pyramid Song in terms of a time signature I cannot figure out for the life of me. 11/8?

Kind of wishing it was just full balls-out radiohead

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The first tune actually was an unreleased Radiohead song that they've only played once (and Thom has played it solo a couple of times) in a new arrangement. I think it's in 11/8 (you can count it as 1 2 3 4 / 1 2 3 4 / 1 2 3)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBwTQntjhqQ

(Pyramid Song is actually just 4/4)

Volte fucked around with this message at 15:10 on May 23, 2021

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Volte posted:

(Pyramid Song is actually just 4/4)

well I’ll be damned

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Actually that's not the full rhythm, this is, piano notes capitalised+bolded:

ONE (and) two (AND) three (and) FOUR (and)
five (and) SIX (and) seven (AND) eight (and)
NINE (and) ten (AND) eleven (and) TWELVE (and)
thirteen (and) FOURTEEN (and) fifteen (AND) sixteen (and)

(I found this on reddit)

e: I'm dumb that's exactly what the music notation above says

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 24, 2021

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Thom’s just one of those musicians that plays by pure feeling, which seems to send music theorists into a tizzy (not you, Hedrigall). Kinda like how some people analyze Beatles songs and wonder how they came up with these crazy chords and progressions and it usually just amounted to “lol my finger slipped and it sounded cool”.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

HD DAD posted:

Thom’s just one of those musicians that plays by pure feeling, which seems to send music theorists into a tizzy (not you, Hedrigall). Kinda like how some people analyze Beatles songs and wonder how they came up with these crazy chords and progressions and it usually just amounted to “lol my finger slipped and it sounded cool”.

IIRC Paul said he didn't learn to read music until the Beatles split and that type of thing is very common

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Paul or any of the Beatles could never read music, even to this day. Anything that needed to be transcribed for orchestration was done by George Martin. It's not uncommon at all for rock musicians playing their own material. Thom doesn't read music but Jonny does, given his background. Regardless, I think he has a good intuition about music theory, even if he wouldn't necessarily be able to explain his music academically.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Did you guys know lateralus is a fibonacci sequence

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Kip Winger is a classically trained musician and at least was a music theory professor out in New Mexico or someplace. Not sure if he still is.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Volte posted:

Paul or any of the Beatles could never read music, even to this day. Anything that needed to be transcribed for orchestration was done by George Martin. It's not uncommon at all for rock musicians playing their own material. Thom doesn't read music but Jonny does, given his background. Regardless, I think he has a good intuition about music theory, even if he wouldn't necessarily be able to explain his music academically.

This kind of makes me feel better about myself. I feel like I have a decent ear for music, and when I was in band in high school, I could never READ the music but I could always replicate it by ear very well.

I've always wanted to get back into music, but knowing I'd have to dive into theory and stuff turns me off, so knowing that you don't entirely need it is kind of a relief.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I still think music theory can be super helpful, even if you aren't fluent in reading and writing notation. I'm in a similar boat where I'd really like to be able to read music well, but without having a practical need for it, it's quite hard to internalize. A bit like trying to learn a new language alone in your bedroom without having anyone to speak to or get feedback from. There are a lot of YouTubers that break music theory down intuitively without relying on a lot of notation (Rick Beato and Adam Neely are a couple I like). Just watching them talk about various concepts and give examples at least lets you give names to different sounds and ideas so you can start to form an intuition beyond "hey that random thing I did sounds good".

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Framboise posted:

This kind of makes me feel better about myself. I feel like I have a decent ear for music, and when I was in band in high school, I could never READ the music but I could always replicate it by ear very well.

I've always wanted to get back into music, but knowing I'd have to dive into theory and stuff turns me off, so knowing that you don't entirely need it is kind of a relief.

Theory isn't that important to music in the long run. It's similar to grammar. It's great for describing what is happening in music, but it's less useful if you look at it as a series of rules.

Like, there's some value in it, but music theory can be very limiting. I remember watching a video where someone compared a through composed classical song to pop music, and the whole thing doesn't work because they're two completely different ideas.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
The biggest value of music theory seems to be music appreciation. Especially of a genre you don't normally like. It can help you see the value in it. But that is only tangentially related to being able to create it.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I think having a basic understanding of harmonic progression and cadences is pretty helpful to writing good music. I mean, Thom might have fantastic intuition with these things, but Jonny’s arrangements are not possible without a masterful handle on music theory.

Also music theory isn’t the same thing as being able to read sheet music. There’s certainly some idioms/eras that would be easier to operate in without any knowledge of theory.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
This is why I think Thom and Jonny make a such a great pair musically. Thom obviously knows the basics, but seems to rely more on feeling rather than theory. Jonny is technical enough to pick up exactly what Thom is doing and build on it in a way that makes sense (or intentionally nonsensical) musically.

Both approaches are completely legit, but can totally own when working together.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Sir Lemming posted:

The biggest value of music theory seems to be music appreciation. Especially of a genre you don't normally like. It can help you see the value in it. But that is only tangentially related to being able to create it.

The biggest value is being a musician who is able to share their ideas and quickly understand other’s ideas

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Not all musicians know Advanced Music Theory but I'd say most have an idea of some stuff. Like being able to say what time signatures something is in is pretty integral to be able to get a whole band to play it.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

massive spider posted:

Not all musicians know Advanced Music Theory but I'd say most have an idea of some stuff. Like being able to say what time signatures something is in is pretty integral to be able to get a whole band to play it.

For sure. Except when it isn’t … I will have to see if I can dig up this interview but I swear I saw something about Pyramid Song where Phil or someone said they don’t count it at all, for example. I’d imagine Thom wrote the main part without thinking of the time signature.

I think for a lot of top level musicians the goal is to internalize music theory and never have to discuss it outside of an academic context.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Looks like a KID Amnesiac double reissue is coming - they played this before a concert stream last night, which was Amnesiac's 20th anniversary.

Here's hoping it gives us as much new material as OKNOTOK did. And minidisc hack 2.0.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Was kinda hoping for new stuff, but hell, I'll buy it. Don't got Kid A or Amnesiac on vinyl yet.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I’ll buy that in a heartbeat. I’ve had the chorus to “How to Disappear Completely” tattooed on my wrists for almost a decade and a half.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

stev posted:

Looks like a KID Amnesiac double reissue is coming - they played this before a concert stream last night, which was Amnesiac's 20th anniversary.

Here's hoping it gives us as much new material as OKNOTOK did. And minidisc hack 2.0.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw8dL4tMDlg

15 years old today! I remember buying this CD the day it came out. I still think it's better than the last couple Radiohead albums. And that artwork, oh man.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The Eraser is Yorke's weakest solo album.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Edward Mass posted:

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Edward Mass posted:

Strongly disagree, everything since then has been diminishing returns.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Anima is my favourite one but Eraser is a close second. TMB has never really grabbed me that much.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYRAGR91CHQ

Here's a thing I wasn't expecting to hear today.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
An extremely high quality shitpost of a remix.

Though the synth is legit.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Just when you thought Creep couldn't make you feel more alienated

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I'm almost positive that someone showed Thom a deep fried "scientist invent creep 2" meme and said "yeah, that sounds about right".

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/consequence/status/1418702103179145219

:bisonyes:

Gonna be such a dope album

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Cool, excited for this.

Still seems like such a weird dynamic though. It's one thing for one member to do a solo project, but for the two principal songwriters to tell the other three 'we're making something without you' is a whole other level. I'm so glad the band can do this kind of thing though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Maybe Colin and Phil will make a rebound album.