Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

i am harry posted:

do the eye witnesses describe propellers?

i'm just looking at wikipedia, but only one incident, not the one pictured, is the airship noted as having propellers.

quote:

The vehicle was apparently propelled by three large propellers and crewed by a beautiful, nude woman and a bearded man, also nude.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mystery_airship#The_airship_wave_of_1896-1897

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Hatebag posted:

That's what they did with all those other secret aircraft though. They encouraged insane people to call them flying saucers by gaslighting them. I don't really get it but i guess nobody really knew about the sr71 until it was out of service or the stealth helicopters until they were used to assassinate bin laden and then mainly because they crashed one, so i guess it works

Bennewitz even saw the goddamn stealth bomber that crashed during a test flight while he was flying over restricted airspace and sketched what he saw, and subconsciously interpreted it as a super scifi spaceship - it's already weird enough compared to previous aircraft, but he took it one step further with scifi gewgaws. Reminds me of a test a Loch Ness tv show did where they dragged a stick thru the Loch in front of an audience and had them draw what they saw, one lady added a head and face a la Nessie.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Hatebag posted:

That's what they did with all those other secret aircraft though. They encouraged insane people to call them flying saucers by gaslighting them. I don't really get it but i guess nobody really knew about the sr71 until it was out of service or the stealth helicopters until they were used to assassinate bin laden and then mainly because they crashed one, so i guess it works

The helicopters are especially hilarious because silent black helicopters have been a staple of the most tooth grinding insane conspiracy theories for decades, there's even a joke about them in the Mel Gibson movie Conspiracy Theory, and I'm sure there's references to them in The X-Files

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Atrocious Joe posted:

i'm just looking at wikipedia, but only one incident, not the one pictured, is the airship noted as having propellers.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mystery_airship#The_airship_wave_of_1896-1897

This is even cooler than aliens imo

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Jetto Jagga posted:

Bennewitz even saw the goddamn stealth bomber that crashed during a test flight while he was flying over restricted airspace and sketched what he saw, and subconsciously interpreted it as a super scifi spaceship - it's already weird enough compared to previous aircraft, but he took it one step further with scifi gewgaws. Reminds me of a test a Loch Ness tv show did where they dragged a stick thru the Loch in front of an audience and had them draw what they saw, one lady added a head and face a la Nessie.

Yeah loch ness is great because a guy made up nessie after he saw king kong lol.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Inspector Hound posted:

The helicopters are especially hilarious because silent black helicopters have been a staple of the most tooth grinding insane conspiracy theories for decades, there's even a joke about them in the Mel Gibson movie Conspiracy Theory, and I'm sure there's references to them in The X-Files

You get flown around in one in deus ex (1999) on your mission against the illuminati!

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Inspector Hound posted:

This is even cooler than aliens imo

There's a pretty lame novel from the early 80s called Genesis that ties together the whole UFO conspiracy matrix of the time via a genius Victorian era inventor who created the airships and then flying saucers for Hitler before scrapering to Antarctica. Eventually collapses under its own weight juggling all the threads.

Carl Von Awesomwitz
May 2, 2006

Sisko Lied, Romulans Died

The Demilich posted:

Post more creepy as gently caress alien gifs.
That one where the alien pokes its head out from behind the wall and pulls it back several pages ago has always been one of my favorites.

enjoy a creepy interview with a puppet real live alien

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thdzV3VGzwo&t=2148s

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020

elaboration has issued a correction as of 15:05 on Nov 30, 2023

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

"black helicopters" was shorthand for batshit conspiracy theories during the clinton administration

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_helicopter

The black helicopter is a symbol of an alleged conspiratorial military takeover of the United States in the American militia movement, and has also been associated with UFOs,[1] especially in the UK,[2] men in black, and similar conspiracies.[4][2][5][6]

Overview Edit

Stories of black helicopters first appeared in the 1970s, and were linked to reports of cattle mutilation.[7][8] It is possible that the idea originated in Hal Lindsey's book The Late, Great Planet Earth, published in 1970 and popular among conspiracy theorists. Lindsey conjectured that the locust-like creatures referenced in the Book of Revelation in the New Testament were actually helicopters, which John had never seen and thus did not know how to describe.[9]

Media attention to black helicopters increased in February 1995, when first-term Republican northern Idaho Representative Helen Chenoweth charged that armed federal agents were landing black helicopters on Idaho ranchers' property to enforce the Endangered Species Act. "I have never seen them", Chenoweth said in an interview in The New York Times. "But enough people in my district have become concerned that I can't just ignore it. We do have some proof."[10]

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

unmarked black helicopters are absolutely real, I grew up a few miles away from Mount Weather and every now and then you'd hear the noise and oh hey there's another fed chopper going to the secret mountain base

in the 2000s remake of The Day the Earth Stood Still they have Mount Weather looking like it's in the desert in Nevada instead if being on a hillside in Virginia and it's very funny. X files got it right when they had Mulder imprisoned there.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Like at this point there's essentially no reason not to just believe in the men in black for real

e yes I'm high I don't see how that's relevant

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6okTYZVGFY

Pooky has issued a correction as of 06:03 on May 23, 2021

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

i am harry posted:

do the eye witnesses describe propellers?

I assume it's like how articles about ufo sightings love to use a movie screenshot in their clickbait thumbnail.

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

Inspector Hound posted:

Like at this point there's essentially no reason not to just believe in the men in black for real

e yes I'm high I don't see how that's relevant

e: nvm i'm drunk

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

it's weird to have the same feeling itt that i did in january 2020 in the covid thread

Ross DaouThot
Aug 31, 2018

when i hit that loud and open cspam the adam curtis music starts playing

pancake rabbit posted:

it's weird to have the same feeling itt that i did in january 2020 in the covid thread

that tingling feeling in your taint is a deep desire for tom delonge to be 100% vindicated

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

pancake rabbit posted:

same but this time i'm not sure how many beans i need to buy

Ross DaouThot
Aug 31, 2018

blatman posted:

i bought too many last time and i’m still not done all the basmati

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

blatman posted:

something something navy beans

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

pancake rabbit posted:

:hmmyes: the public is going to take some basic facts, misconstrue them with help from the media/facebook, and end up with outrageous, dangerously paranoid positions.

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

Pooky posted:

:hmmyes: the public is going to take some basic facts, misconstrue them with help from the media/facebook, and end up with outrageous, dangerously paranoid positions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q65KZIqay4E

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

pancake rabbit posted:

o7

raspurtin
Apr 18, 2005

Farm Frenzy posted:

i dont understand the theory that ufos are an excuse for the USA to do military buildup for the cold war/ cold war II. arent the cold wars a good enough excuse

Humans have a natural tendency toward helping each other out in times of emergency. With the rise of global crises like global warming and the pandemic, the natural inclination is toward globalization to share resources. This is obviously bad for existing power structures - born from millenia of imperialism, conquest, and greed -- that rely on internal and external conflict to control and extract labor from the masses.

I remember reading a usenet post a long long time ago (probably on alt.conspiracy) that described how the West/the Illuminati/whoever are planning to manufacture conflict with the Muslims first, then the Chinese, then the aliens, in an effort to achieve a global Western/white hegemony. This would have been mid-90s, after the WTC and OKC bombings but before 9/11. From what I remember, this global plan did not take into account the external forces of global warming and pandemics, so I suspect that the plan is now falling apart and they are starting Phase III Release the UFOs just to ramp up fear of the Other.

also I am high

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

raspurtin posted:

I remember reading a usenet post a long long time ago (probably on alt.conspiracy) that described how the West/the Illuminati/whoever are planning to manufacture conflict with the Muslims first, then the Chinese, then the aliens, in an effort to achieve a global Western/white hegemony. This would have been mid-90s, after the WTC and OKC bombings but before 9/11. From what I remember, this global plan did not take into account the external forces of global warming and pandemics, so I suspect that the plan is now falling apart and they are starting Phase III Release the UFOs just to ramp up fear of the Other.

also I am high
Nice piece of internet lore, mind if I copy that into my memory as I think about these things. I don't think it's a stretch to say the US + co. justified their decades of foreverwars on fear of the Other. So perhaps they are looking at words like sustainable and renewable darting around in public consciousness and looking for that elusive infinite supply of Other.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

the United States government will hire rpg players to larp as the alien invaders. traump will be the gm and the source book will be GURPS Traveller: Interstellar Wars

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

Carol Rosin posted:

My name is Carol Rosin. I am an educator who became the first woman corporate manager of an Aerospace Company, Fairchild Industries. I am a Space and Missile Defense Consultant and have consulted to a number of companies, organizations, and government departments, even the intelligence community. I was a consultant to TRW working on the MX missile, so I was part of that strategy, which turned out to be a role model for how to sell space-based weapons to the public. The MX missile is yet another weapon system that we didn’t need.

I founded the Institute for Security and Cooperation in Outer Space, a Washington DC based think tank. I am an author and have testified before Congress and the President’s Commission on Space.

When I was a Corporate Manager of Fairchild Industries from 1974 through 1977, I met the late Dr. Wernher Von Braun. We first met in early 1974. At that time, Von Braun was dying of cancer but he assured me that he would live a few more years to tell me about the game that was being played- that game being the effort to weaponize space, to control the Earth from space and space itself.

Von Braun had a history of working with weapons systems. He escaped from Germany to come to this country and became a Vice President of Fairchild Industries when I had met him. Von Braun’s purpose during the last years of his life, his dying years, was to educate the public and decision-makers about why space-based weapons are dumb, dangerous, destabilizing, too costly, unnecessary, unworkable, and an undesirable idea, and about the alternatives that are available.

As practically a deathbed speech, he educated me about those concepts and who the players were in this game. He gave me the responsibility, since he was dying, of continuing this effort to prevent the weaponization of outer space. When Wernher Von Braun was dying of cancer, he asked me to be his spokesperson, to appear on occasions when he was too ill to speak. I did this.

What was most interesting to me was a repetitive sentence that he said to me over and over again during the approximately four years that I had the opportunity to work with him. He said the strategy that was being used to educate the public and decision makers was to use scare tactics That was how we identify an enemy.

The strategy that Wernher Von Braun taught me was that first the Russians are going to be considered to be the enemy. In fact, in 1974, they were the enemy, the identified enemy. We were told that they had “killer satellites”. We were told that they were coming to get us and control us — that they were “Commies.”

Then terrorists would be identified, and that was soon to follow. We heard a lot about terrorism. Then we were going to identify third-world country “crazies.” We now call them Nations of Concern. But he said that would be the third enemy against whom we would build space-based weapons.

The next enemy was asteroids. Now, at this point he kind of chuckled the first time he said it. Asteroids-against asteroids we are going to build space-based weapons.

And the funniest one of all was what he called aliens, extraterrestrials. That would be the final scare.

And over and over and over during the four years that I knew him and was giving speeches for him, he would bring up that last card. ”And remember Carol, the last card is the alien card. We are going to have to build space-based weapons against aliens and all of it is a lie.”

I think I was too naive at that time to know the seriousness of the nature of the spin that was being put on the system.
And now, the pieces are starting to fall into place. We are building a space-based weapons system on a premise that is a lie, a spin. Wernher Von Braun was trying to hint that to me back in the early 70’s and right up until the moment when he died in 1977.
What he told me was that there is an accelerated effort in place. He didn’t mention a timeline but he said that it was going to be speeding up faster than anybody could possibly imagine. That the effort to put weapons into space was not only based on a lie but would accelerate past the point of people even understanding it until it was already up there and too late.

When Von Braun was dying in front of me, the very first day that I met him, he had tubes draining out of his side. He was tapping on the desk telling me, ”You will come to Fairchild.” I was a schoolteacher. He said, “You will come to Fairchild and you will be responsible for keeping weapons out of space.”

The way he said it with this intenseness in his eyes, and added that very first day, the first time I met him, that space-based weapons were a dangerous, destabilizing, too costly, unnecessary, untestable, unworkable idea.

The last card that was being held was the extraterrestrial enemy card. The intensity with which he said that, made me realize that he knew something that he was too afraid to mention. He was too afraid to talk about it. He would not tell me the details. I am not sure that I would have absorbed them if he had told me the details or even believed him in 1974. But there was no question that that man knew and had a need to know, I found out later.

There is no doubt in my mind that Wernher Von Braun knew about the extraterrestrial issue.

He explained to me the reasons why weapons were going to be put into space, the enemies against whom we were going to build these weapons, and that all of that was a lie. He mentioned that extraterrestrials were going to be identified as the final enemy against whom we were going to build space-based weapons back in 1974. The way he said it to me, there was no doubt in my mind that he knew something that he was too afraid to talk about.

Wernher Von Braun never spoke to me about any of the details that he knew related to extraterrestrials except that one day extraterrestrials were going to be identified as an enemy against whom we are going to build an enormous space-based weapons system. Wernher Von Braun actually told me that the spin was a lie — that the premise for space- based weaponry, the reasons that were going to be given, the enemies that we were going to identify — were all based on a lie.

I have been tracking the space-based weapons issue for about 26 years. I have debated Generals and Congressional Representatives. I have testified before the Congress and the Senate. I have met with people in over 100 countries. But I have not been able to identify who the people are who are making this space-based weapons system happen. I see the news. I see the administrative decisions being made. I know that they are all based on lies and greed.

But I have yet to be able to identify who the people are. That is after tracking this issue for 26 years. I know that there are big secrets being kept and I know that it is time the public and decision-makers pay attention to the people who are now going to be disclosing the truth. Then we need to make some definite changes and build a system in space that will benefit every single person, and all of the animals, and the environment of this planet.

The technology is there. The solutions to Earth’s urgent and long-term potential problems are there. I have a feeling that once we start studying this extraterrestrial issue, all of the questions are going to be answered that I have had for 26 years.

[...]

In 1977 I was at a meeting in Fairchild Industries in a conference room called the War Room. In that room were a lot of charts on the walls with enemies, identified enemies. There were other more obscure names, names like Saddam Hussein and Khadafi. But we were talking then about terrorists, the potential terrorists. No one had ever talked about this before but this was the next stage after the Russians against whom we were going to build these space-based weapons.

I stood up in this meeting and I said, ”Excuse me, why are we talking about these potential enemies against whom we are going to build space-based weapons if, in fact, we know that they are not the enemy at this time?”

Well, they continued the conversation about how they were going to antagonize these enemies and that at some point, there was going to be a war in the Gulf, a Gulf War. Now this is 1977, 1977! And they were talking about creating a war in the Gulf Region when there was 25 billion dollars in the space-based weapons program that had yet to be identified. It wasn’t called the Strategic Defense Initiative, at least. Not until 1983. This weapons system, then, had obviously been going on for some time and I didn’t know anything about.

So I stood up in this meeting in 1977 and said, ”I would like to know why we are talking about space-based weapons against these enemies. I would like to know more about this. Would someone please tell me what this is about?”
Nobody answered. They just went on with this meeting as though I hadn’t said anything.

Suddenly I stood up in the room and said, ”If nobody can tell me why you are planning a war in the Gulf when there is a certain amount of money in a budget so that you can create the next set of weapons systems that will be the beginning of the sell to the public about why we need space-based weapons, then consider this: my resignation. And you will not hear from me again!”

And nobody said a word, because they were planning a war in the Gulf and it happened exactly as they planned it, on time.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD2186Yh0Uc

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

raspurtin posted:

also I am high

It's supposed to be a deathbed confession from one of the usa's imported nazi scientists.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
mid-late 90s was such a golden era for conspiracy stuff on the internet. i remember downloading pages and pages of text files from janky-rear end webrings to print out and read (so I didn't get in trouble for hogging the phone lines with dial-up)

plus x-files

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

Mola Yam posted:

mid-late 90s was such a golden era for conspiracy stuff on the internet. i remember downloading pages and pages of text files from janky-rear end webrings to print out and read (so I didn't get in trouble for hogging the phone lines with dial-up)

plus x-files

https://cdn.preterhuman.net/texts/alien.ufo

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
aahhh poo poo that's the elixir of youth, shoot it into my veins

now i just need to find those "jokes.txt" and "ultimate college shenanigans" files and i'll be 16 again.

Ross DaouThot
Aug 31, 2018

yeah but these aliens’ lore is that they could randomly shut nukes off and on and can travel frictionless at 13,000mph. their introduction by the DS/Illuminati could just end up being another crisis that people unite and globalize around in an effort to surrender and present ourselves as peaceful primates.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

nope

Riot Bimbo has issued a correction as of 14:53 on Mar 4, 2022

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

lol if this is leading up to watchmen being real

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Pooky posted:

The last card that was being held was the extraterrestrial enemy card. The intensity with which he said that, made me realize that he knew something that he was too afraid to mention.

!!??

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

P. spoopy!!

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
If they want more money I'm pretty sure they can just sell more drugs or something