Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

mmkay posted:

All of them?

Eh.

His brain is mostly ornamental.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
That's why Goku got shot in the neck and not the back of his idiot head.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Parrotine posted:

My guess is that it's an old footprint of a Saiyan Ozaru from the past attacks and is triggering some Vegeta flashback about his empire being a whole bunch of dicks again.

Well yes, but I mean more how it's still there after all this time. Unless Vegeta and the Saiyan Saga Co. took that planet themselves, that footprint was fresh when Goku was still a baby.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Maybe it was rock?

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

mmkay posted:

All of them?

Lol

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

I still find it funny that earth is apparently the culinary center of the multiverse, where even the cheapest of cup noodles is one of the universe's greatest gourmet meals

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Siegkrow posted:

I still find it funny that earth is apparently the culinary center of the multiverse, where even the cheapest of cup noodles is one of the universe's greatest gourmet meals

I mean, somewhere had to be, right?

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Kurui Reiten posted:

Of course, now we have Ultra Instinct being combined with a Super Saiyan form, so once more, power ups are bullshit.

I'm think, that talk with Whis a few chapters ago implied that Ultra Instinct, the technique where your body goes on autopilot, and Ultra Instinct, the transformation where your body goes on autopilot and powers up to angelic levels, aren't actually the same thing. The transformation comes with the technique, but you can learn to do it without transforming, which Goku and Whis are working on, since Goku can't hold Omen for long and can't even do the full thing at will.

Unfortunately, no matter how fast you can react with the technique, which he still hasn't mastered out of the form, it doesn't matter if your body isn't fast enough to actually move in time. Hence, using the technique in a Super Saiyan form to get around that a bit. But it's still actually a power DOWN compared to the full transformation.
Well, for now, but watch him stack a Super Saiyan form or Kaioken on top of the full transformation later because of the practice he's getting now.

Also drat it phone posting, post is not bb

Captain France fucked around with this message at 10:59 on May 23, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Siegkrow posted:

It's even funnier given in universe and out, you can say 'And some of the few surviving Saiyans settled on the planet with the finest food in the known universe' and everyone will just nod because that makes perfect sense.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Why?

https://comicbook.com/anime/news/zack-snyder-dragon-ball-z-anime-live-action-movie-director/

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

he should direct a devilman movie
that'd probably rule

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

i mean, it's literally just him telling someone that asked him about it "yeah, sure, why not"

honestly i'd be interested in seeing his take on the action and cinematography at least

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It couldn’t be any worse than Evolution at any rate (which Toriyama apparently hated so much that it’s what eventually lead him to revive the series himself with Battle of the Gods)

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Give us a four hour cut of the Saiyan saga and you got yourself a deal, Snyder.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
get Henry Cavill as Goku and just stealth make it the MoS sequel we're never getting

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
Del Toro and Dragon Ball I could see, but Snyder and DBZ not so much.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

I dunno, Cavill lacks manchild energy. Goku should be more, I dunno, like an excited dog?

Dragon ball isn't weird enough for Del Toro tho.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Larryb posted:

It couldn’t be any worse than Evolution at any rate (which Toriyama apparently hated so much that it’s what eventually lead him to revive the series himself with Battle of the Gods)

So we need another live action to get Toriyama off his rear end

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

bowmore posted:

So we need another live action to get Toriyama off his rear end

There is apparently an animated movie coming out at some point in the future at least but as far as I know we still have zero details on it currently.

The Super manga is also still being released monthly and I think Toriyama is directly involved with it in some fashion.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Larryb posted:

There is apparently an animated movie coming out at some point in the future at least but as far as I know we still have zero details on it currently.

The Super manga is also still being released monthly and I think Toriyama is directly involved with it in some fashion.
I know both of these things

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

You don't know anything

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I do

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Siegkrow posted:

I dunno, Cavill lacks manchild energy. Goku should be more, I dunno, like an excited dog?

Dragon ball isn't weird enough for Del Toro tho.

As long as he does early DB where there's still animal people and transforming and Piccolo's a demon not an alien I think it's plenty weird for him.

It's once Z comes along that things get more predictable and less weird (aside from alien designs).

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Bushmaori posted:

Del Toro and Dragon Ball I could see, but Snyder and DBZ not so much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWTbLZCR84k

Seriously? Snyder is the only Hollywood director who *could* do Dragon Ball justice, he basically already did in Man of Steel

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

multijoe posted:

Seriously? Snyder is the only Hollywood director who *could* do Dragon Ball justice, he basically already did in Man of Steel

Like, say what you want about the movie, but the action is on point.

Especially the Smallville stuff. There's some really good weighty poo poo there. Hell, the Superman VS Zod fight has some callbacks to Birdy the Mighty.

When doing direct adaptations he tends to stay pretty doggedly faithful too, so you'd be seeing a lot of him taking manga panels and bringing them to life.

I don't especially know if Dragon Ball is well suited to live action though, but if anyone in the Hollywood stable could do it justice of any kind, it'd probably be him.

please don't let him or anyone touch Berserk. Not even on a 'no one could do it justice' level, just on a 'oh God Damnit I do not want to hear about the thinkpieces' level. Its less that I don't want anyone to try, and more that I wouldn't wish that on anyone

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

multijoe posted:

I'm fairly certain the action can be good. But Snyder also loves annoying filters and grim dark lighting. If he stays away from those this could be fun.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Burkion posted:

please don't let him or anyone touch Berserk. Not even on a 'no one could do it justice' level, just on a 'oh God Damnit I do not want to hear about the thinkpieces' level. Its less that I don't want anyone to try, and more that I wouldn't wish that on anyone

The only person id trust is some eastern european war movie person who smells like an ashtray.

Darth TNT posted:

I'm fairly certain the action can be good. But Snyder also loves annoying filters and grim dark lighting. If he stays away from those this could be fun.

Hollywood in general hates color.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jun 8, 2021

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Hollywood in general hates color.

No one will take your superhero adaptation seriously unless they're wearing muted colors, hate being a superhero, and are staunchly against fun.

Just look at the live action Powerpuff Girls CW show. :v:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

there's absolutely zero chance that the man that made moves like batman vs superman could ever make a good dragon ball movie

it's so far out of his wheelhouse that it might as well be on a different planet

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Darth TNT posted:

Pretty much my thinking

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Peter Jackson's Namek Trilogy

He spends months crafting unique armor and backstories for each member of the Frieza Force for no reason, the third movie is just the five minutes but for three hours.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Look am I just going to have to post every sick action scene Snyder's done until you people stop pretending he only makes monochrome depressions films or something

Because I'll do if needs be

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtufzfwL97w

Ugh get your grimdark brooding out of my fun comic book movies Zack!!

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
A live action DBZ adaptation will never, ever be good

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

multijoe posted:

The way that movie's biggest fight ends really isn't Dragon Ball though, which is what people are talking about when they say he'd be a poor fit.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Justin_Brett posted:

The way that movie's biggest fight ends really isn't Dragon Ball though, which is what people are talking about when they say he'd be a poor fit.

You know directors are capable of producing more than one story right? It's a different film about a different property very deliberately going for a particular tone, he could even use a different screenwriter! There would be absolutely no reason it would have to be 'what if Goku were in the real world and he had to break Vegeta's neck at the end?'

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

If Goku got punched into an Ihop would he keep fighting or would he get distracted by the food?

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Snyder blows chunks and he'd make garbage Dragon Ball, gently caress 'im

Electric Phantasm posted:

If Goku got punched into an Ihop would he keep fighting or would he get distracted by the food?

he'd grab and eat things while fighting through

if I ever had to give Goku an insane Jojo-like psychological gimmick, it'd be to have him talking about all different kinds of food while beating an alien stupid, promising to take them out to this one incredible hot pot place he knows after they're done

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

absolutely nothing zack snyder has produced has given me reason to feel like he would do a good job with a dragon ball movie. I'm just looking at the movies he's made and I can't wrap my head around why someone would ever think he'd be a good fit for this franchise. he'd be so bad for this

even if you like his fight scenes, and I don't even agree with that perspective honestly, there's way more to even the good dragon ball movies than just goku punching the bad guy good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I don't like dogpiling so I will try to say my piece on the matter respectfully. I feel that Zack Synder likes his works to have some philosophical merit to them. Often, this comes off shallow and its more like a kid who took one course on philosophy thinking their socrates. These philosophical discussions often focus on libertarian philosophy. I don't think DragonBall has the capacity to accommodate such desires in its narrative and world building. You also really can't do the trolley problem, jesus allegory, or really anything of that matter with Goku without heavy rewrites. Goku is simply too basic of a character for anything that isn't a deconstruction or a reconstruction to challenge properly with such matters. Goku is the man who got married because he thought it was food and whose wife has to draw pictures on their grocery list because he's illiterate (but apparently he can actually do his income tax himself), he just isn't the type of character who can be used for such discussions without changing the tone, world, and character greatly.