Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should there even be a poll here???
This poll is closed.
Yes 106 15.84%
No 117 17.49%
Goku 446 66.67%
Total: 669 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Aramoro posted:

https://twitter.com/OhMyPace_/status/1396266314205995011?s=19

I feel this would have been cut from the Eurovision film for being too goofy.

Theres a lot of bad songs at Eurovision but then there are some absolute bangers like Ukraine and Lithuania.

Also Flo Rida.
Hey you'd better not be lumping Iceland into the bad song category or we will have Words:
https://youtu.be/YSMhu-PrLME

For everyone else here: This is the rehearsal, they couldn't perform live because two of them had to isolate during the actual show. The green room had stuffed jumpers with ipads stuck to them :3:

Also Flo Rida was so obviously counting on the popular vote and the pittance they got was hilarious

Splicer fucked around with this message at 10:52 on May 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
How did flo rida even get involved in that entry?

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
You absolutely shouldn't ever take Eurovision seriously enough to be mad about losing or angry that someone else won, imo, the whole point is to watch it with friends, get drunk and brutally slag off the entries. The fact that every now and then you get to watch the obvious Jury favorite go from 1st place to 3rd in one instance of democracy, live in front of an audience of 200~ million people, that's just a bonus.

There's also a divide along the old iron curtain, where 'west' european countries have a more stagnant attitude and tend to send in boring ballads that might've won in 1983, whereas 'east' european countries either take it super-seriously and go all out, or send insane poo poo like 6 grandma's and an oven to sing a russian folksong, and almost winning with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgUstrmJzyc

Edit: if this is blocked in the US, try looking for "Buranovskiye Babushki - Party For Everybody" on the youtubes, because I believe NBC has the rights to broadcasting eurovision or something.

KittenCaboodle
Jan 16, 2014

Fun Shoe

ilmucche posted:

How did flo rida even get involved in that entry?

I would really love to know this.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Eurovision Question: Why wouldn't a nation send in actually good/famous entertainers? Cher, Bruno Mars, whatever the flavour of the day is on the worldwide top charts?

I know nothing about the event other than it's a crazy big deal to some people like the Oscars are, and I'm imagining it to be completely divorced from reality as I've only heard about it maybe three times in my entire life.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Serephina posted:

Eurovision Question: Why wouldn't a nation send in actually good/famous entertainers? Cher, Bruno Mars, whatever the flavour of the day is on the worldwide top charts?

I know nothing about the event other than it's a crazy big deal to some people like the Oscars are, and I'm imagining it to be completely divorced from reality as I've only heard about it maybe three times in my entire life.

You'd need to get someone to agree to career suicide by losing to Ukrainian techofolk.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Serephina posted:

Cher is already a gay icon why would she need to go on Eurovision?

e: Mildly interesting fact: the guy who runs the Eurovision Song Contest at the moment is a successful crime novelist.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Serephina posted:

It isn't anything like the Oscars, it's more like American Idol.

It's popular because a lot of people really really like pop music (go figure!) and it's been going on for so long now that it's got that super bowl vibe where people who don't even like the songs will get together and get drunk and watch it for laughs.

greazeball fucked around with this message at 11:49 on May 23, 2021

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The audience likes an underdog as well as voting for regional blocks, the juries will see through it and won't be dazzled. And the big global stars probably wouldn't want to participate, I don't know how much money the contestants get, but it's most definitely not enough. And then there's the potential humiliation of a superstar getting dunked on by a joke act from Moldova.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Oh god there's so much publicity and kissing the rear end of the host nation and thanking the eurovision fans and judges and doing promo pieces and radio shows and singing at the mall and everything else. No star would put up with all that.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
Yeah it's not so much "why doesn't country X send artist Y" as it is "why would artist Y go?". You get some established submissions to the local qualifiers, but many (most?) who want to go do it for the exposure, which actual famous artists don't need.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Here's a little diversion from eurovisionchat.

Caption was "Bought a house last year and wondered why this light never worked. Finally took it off to have a look at the wiring..."

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Ah right thanks guys, I was picturing something like the Olympics with a lot of national prestige involved. The 'X Country Idol' comparison suddenly explains a lot.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
The only good Eurovision song in recent years was Little Big.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_dWvTCdDQ4

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

In 2019 Israel hosted and actually paid loving Madonna to appear in the show. She had zero idea what was going on around her and was upstaged by every other act, which was perhaps the biggest Eurovision Schadenfreude ever, lol

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

She was so bad on stage in front of hundreds of millions of people that they literally scrubbed the internet of almost every video of her actual performance and replaced them with an autotuned version. She sang Like a Prayer so out of tune I was wondering if there was something wrong with the broadcast, lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czSSByhTrnk

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Madonna has sucked for so long. How old do you have to be to think of Madonna as your trump card musician? Even when i was a kid her successful career was talked about in the past tense

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Mega Comrade posted:

A lot of Americans seem to think they could just enter Beyonce in and win but its not that simple otherwise the UK would have tried Adele years ago.

There've been rumours for years that well known popular British bands have approached the BBC wanting to give it a go and been turned down - and every time the UK scores on the left side of the board you get an absolutely poo poo tier act the next year (for instance the year after Blue the BBC sent Englebert Humperdink, they weren't even trying to hide they were throwing it.)

Honestly, it's funnier this way, if nothing else because the gammons who remember when the UK actually tried to win back in the 60s / 70s get so upset.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Established acts do show up occasionally and win too, somewhat recently there were Lordi, Verka, and Kabát that I think were pretty well known in their respective countries. But for most there's probably not much benefit and a lot of downside considering you can lose to a bunch of amateurs.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I have always assumed Eurovision was kind of like American Idol but for Euros.

That is, something the plebs are fanatical about and regular people ignore.

The plebs are the regular people.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Takes No Damage posted:

MMm that's a classic, their coach (? Guy running around in the suit) is great. WHAT? THEY'RE ALLOWED TO DO THAT? JUST SCORE MORE POINTS BEFORE THE GAME ENDS????????

Fuckin lol

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

ookiimarukochan posted:

There've been rumours for years that well known popular British bands have approached the BBC wanting to give it a go and been turned down - and every time the UK scores on the left side of the board you get an absolutely poo poo tier act the next year (for instance the year after Blue the BBC sent Englebert Humperdink, they weren't even trying to hide they were throwing it.)

Honestly, it's funnier this way, if nothing else because the gammons who remember when the UK actually tried to win back in the 60s / 70s get so upset.

Doesn't the winner have get to host the following year? It basically makes the competition the world's biggest white elephant gift exchange, which only adds to the fun.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

mobby_6kl posted:

Established acts do show up occasionally and win too, somewhat recently there were Lordi, Verka, and Kabát that I think were pretty well known in their respective countries. But for most there's probably not much benefit and a lot of downside considering you can lose to a bunch of amateurs.

Someone mentioned the Italian band is platinum in Italy but I'm not going to look it up to confirm

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Dillbag posted:

The only great things to come out of Eurovision were Winny Puuh's performance in 2013 and the epic sax guy meme (not the oiled sax guy meme, that was from Lost Boys)

https://youtu.be/2dllo85ZSUk

I guess Winny Puuh was performing their national anthem? Because that needs to happen more.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i think it might be time to reboot the thread now its over 1000 pages. Do you want to make a new one op

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
It's hard to explain just how much europeans both love and hate this event, or just how much it all gets twisted up in stupid ancient 'feuds' between nationalities. Honestly, it's best to just sit back and enjoy the show.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Jose posted:

i think it might be time to reboot the thread now its over 1000 pages. Do you want to make a new one op

Is it going in a farm upstate? Where it's free to run around all the Gurf threads

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Butterfly Valley posted:

Where I live has a high concentration of young men with disposable incomes and an interest in tech along with bad traffic meaning there's a large amount of people using personal electric vehicles of some sort. Bikes, while popular, are obviously way too basic and low tech of a solution for some. There's a gently caress ton of electric scooters, which I can tolerate, but it's not rare to see guys (its always guys) on those uniwheel things and the mismatch between how cool they imagine they look (like ironman) and how ridiculous they actually look, chest out, arms splayed slightly behind them for balance, always gets me. I haven't seen one eat poo poo yet but I would find it hard not to feel extreme schadenfreude if I did.

What if the person is actually as cool as they imagine?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Armitag3 posted:

Is it going in a farm upstate? Where it's free to run around all the Gurf threads

it'll just be closed to fade away into the archives instead of people having to deal with the hideous style sheet of the toxic waste dump

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Jose posted:

it'll just be closed to fade away into the archives instead of people having to deal with the hideous style sheet of the toxic waste dump

You're ripping the bandaid, but I appreciate how quick you are doing it

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

barbecue at the folks posted:

She was so bad on stage in front of hundreds of millions of people that they literally scrubbed the internet of almost every video of her actual performance and replaced them with an autotuned version. She sang Like a Prayer so out of tune I was wondering if there was something wrong with the broadcast, lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czSSByhTrnk
That's actually worth mentioning: you have to sing live. No lip synching (though I think doubling is allowed), no autotune. So that's 90% of big name artists right out

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Jose posted:

But sir, this is the schadenfreude thread.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

The Modern Leper posted:

Doesn't the winner have get to host the following year? It basically makes the competition the world's biggest white elephant gift exchange, which only adds to the fun.

Yeah, Ireland won four times in the row in the 90s despite the Irish TV desperately trying to lose for this very reason.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

steinrokkan posted:

Yeah, Ireland won four times in the row in the 90s despite the Irish TV desperately trying to lose for this very reason.

We should've forced them to host it by making Dustin the Turkey win, imo.

Halloween Liker
Oct 31, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Rascar Capac posted:

Also Portugal's 1974 entry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89LBNSX_vig

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
A good bit of schad is all the Americans on twitter who are pissing and moaning about not being allowed to send an entry when Israel and Turkey are. Thing is, they both have partial memberships to the Eurovision organization. I'm certain America could make a similar deal but good loving luck with getting the US of A to sign up for something like that.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I'm honestly surprised one of the networks hasn't tried to do a USvision with the states.

I want to see Wyoming's best pop star.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Zero One posted:

I'm honestly surprised one of the networks hasn't tried to do a USvision with the states.

I want to see Wyoming's best pop star.

Lol at the idea you could have a light-hearted song contest in the USA without it getting immediately hijacked as part of the brewing civil war narrative.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Darth Brooks posted:

Tracking down a drug dealer by shouting "Enhance! Enhance! Enhance!" at a photo of him holding a block of cheese and reading his fingerprints sounds like a BS story designed to protect the real source.

Yeah, there’s no way that is possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/punkvenus/status/1396062308657401858