Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Well, that's one big republic.

Hey, One Big Republic, now there's an idea...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

We need to worry about the March of the Eagles port first

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

We're not QUITE at the end point as is, if V3 Is more of a concrete thing when we run out of EU, then decisions could be made at that point

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

V2 imo

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
VOTE: 1756 - PART I

François Furet, Interpreting the French Revolution posted:

For the same reason that the Ancien Régime is thought to have an end but no beginning, the Revolution has a birth but no end.

Qiu Jin, as translated by Stephen Owen posted:

I pledge the spilled blood from a hundred thousand skulls /
To restore the universe with all our strength.

The celestial empress is dead. The empire must fall.

The state of the Republic is not good. Before there is any discussion of constitutions and equality before the law, the republic must survive, else these grand ideas and hopes for the future fade out.

Inside the old seat of imperial power, the royals are gone. If you keep quiet and keep your ears to the door to the empty map room, we can listen now to a conversation that most people in the government are not supposed to hear.

The provisional head of the republic, Takdra Purgyal, looks like he has not slept for three days.

He is hunched over a huge map of the old empire that shows its size but not its weaknesses.

To his left, a young officer, Dolma Yudron Palsang, recites a summary of reports she has received.

"We've heard nothing from any of the old garrisons east of the Arakan mountains. Everything between Sagaing and Yangon is in open rebellion against us."

"What do they want?"

"They're feudal - aristocrats. They have to be. Why else would they rebel? Anyway we can estimate that the number of troops there is over 120,000."

"In China, around the Gan river valley here and in these mountains here, there are at least 150,000 troops in rebellion against us. Some under the command of local gentry, some feudal lords who wish to establish their own state, and some who wish to join the Wu republic and not our own.

"So how do we fix it?" he interrupts.

"Between those two, we have at least twice as many troops in arms against us than for us. There are more rebellions all the time.

We will have to pull back and cede the territo-"

The Purgyal says, a bit too loudly, "Go to hell." The second officer shushes him.

"Cede the territory and focus on keeping what we have."

"We just give up?"

"We make a tactical retreat so we don't lose everything."

"The people here have defeated armies in Sichuan, in Lhasa, and we have overturned an empire that existed for over a thousand years."

"This is a republic. We do not have to claim all the old empire, and we will not become-"

The second officer interrupts again. This is Karma Zindé, who defected from the empire. She is almost 50 and about double the average age of other senior members of the new republic's government.

"It is a matter of funds. There is nothing in the treasury. The republic can support an army for about half a year before we must take even more loans - and creditors will take more from us in interest because they don't know if we can survive the next year.

"As for troops, we can raise maybe 20,000 more easily. Not to mention all the desertions and absentees because of the bad harvests these last years.

"We will lose everything if a single pitched battle goes wrong. We have not won the campaign yet."

"Please don't, by the sacred treasures-"

"Keep your voices down. Stop. Stop it. There are newspaper writers outside and if they hear us it will be in all the broadsheets in Lhasa tomorrow."

The Purgyal crosses his arms and looks down at the map, his face caught in the evening light.

"How do we fix this? I have to tell the provisional council something. If I lie to them they will tear me apart. And I'd deserve it."

Choose one of the following:

A) We will not contest everything outside of the Tibetan plateau and the Tarim and Sichuan basin. This will result in a massive loss of populated territory but the surviving republic will be more secure.

B) We cede much of eastern China and the Irrawaddy plain, but will attempt to retain parts of the Yellow River basin and the lower Ganges. We retain most of the populated regions of the empire.

C) Or we attempt to contest everything. If we pull this off, we have the best chance of retaining nearly all of the old empire, but also has the greatest risk of losing the army and the potential collapse of the republic.

The vote concludes in two days time, on May 24, at 9 PM EST.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

C. All or nothing.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

C

The revolution isn't over until that looming Revolution disaster fires

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

b

Didn't want that empire anyways. Nbd.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

The guiding hand of the revolution cannot be allowed to recede- we cannot abandon so many to depredations of feudal warlords! C

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
C.

Go big or go home.

Edit: decided maybe we can go medium after all, switched my vote to B.

NewMars fucked around with this message at 10:05 on May 23, 2021

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Crazycryodude posted:

The revolution isn't over until that looming Revolution disaster fires

What is this about, anyway? I don't know the game well enough to understand it, aren't we already having a revolution currently?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

B. Ports are important. We can always recover the rest.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

B. We need to know our limits

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
B with a priority towards the Yellow River

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

SirPhoebos posted:

B. Ports are important. We can always recover the rest.

Exactly this. Pull back, but not so far we lose the seas.

Anzrel
Dec 15, 2010
B

repeated collapses and hilariously arrogant bumbling are fun and all but I'd really rather not read that story again.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
B

We need those ports.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

B

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
B We must preserve our long time southern provinces. I've seen it myself, the people clamoring for freedom! Freedom! Surely from the aristrocrats. I'd also support letting the eastern rebels, who wish it, join our sister Republic of Wu as a token of friendship and appreaciation between revolutionaries

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

C

ride or die

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

C

Didn't come this far to cede territory to the forces of reaction :colbert:

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

Pacho posted:

B We must preserve our long time southern provinces. I've seen it myself, the people clamoring for freedom! Freedom! Surely from the aristrocrats. I'd also support letting the eastern rebels, who wish it, join our sister Republic of Wu as a token of friendship and appreaciation between revolutionaries

I'm also down with this.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

B. We must thread the knife edge's course of the republic surviving, and the republic having the strength it needs for the future. We can reclaim much of the ceded territory later.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Bah, C! Let Heaven determine the nature of its reflection here on earth! Shoild the Republic fail, it clearly never should have been to begin with!

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

B

C would be funny but probably impossible, and I got all the "burning down the house while still inside it" I'll ever need from Al-Andalus tbh. As said, we can always take poo poo back latter, if we can stabilize B we'll still basically be the supreme power on Earth.

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

C

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

C

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

C

We're in it to win it.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

B

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet
B.

We must preserve access to the sea at all costs, even if that requires sacrificing the East to whatever Warlords will follow in our wake.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
B

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
B

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

B

China is Empire. One cannot claim the Mandate of Heaven without also claiming its throne. We do not need Heaven, and we do not need China.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

A

Death to all empires. Even our own.

Livewire42
Oct 2, 2013
C

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
C - we need no mandate of Heaven, we make our own destiny.

I'd also have been fine with setting up revolutionary republic client states in the places with the most rebels, but sadly the aristos are too powerful there.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

B

Gotta keep our access to the sea. Republics are nothing without trade.

Guper
Jan 21, 2019
B

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."

GunnerJ posted:

What is this about, anyway? I don't know the game well enough to understand it, aren't we already having a revolution currently?

There are multiple disasters which were introduced after the 1.9 patch. Tibet has already gone through the 'Aspiration for Liberty' disaster, which happened from having a high 'absolutism' stat, but it has not yet gone through the 'Revolution' disaster.

Additionally, I'd fired off a custom event which switched us to a new 'Tibetan Republic' tag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
C

The revolution will not cede ground to the reaction without a fight!