Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Contrast paints would be my suggestion, then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Finished this Archvillain Games mini I printed. Pretty happy overall with the end result, but there is a lot of visual noise going on. I like the idea of this swashbuckler journeying into a dungeon and by the end of it she's all tattered and dirty, but still keeping her cool.

My only complaint about these AV minis is how busy they are.

Edit:

Still learning how to take decent photos

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 04:29 on May 21, 2021

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice

Cinara posted:

Cleaning my airbrush could take 10x longer than it actually does and it would still be a huge increase in overall painting speed.

Can you explain this? I know nothing about it, and it just seems to me that once you base paint, you’re back to the brush. What obvious things am I missing?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Finished my Legion of Everblight Proteus. Took most of a week; I learned a lot but man I'm glad it's done.

(He still needs basing elements but I'm waiting for a package to arrive before I can do that.)

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I ride bikes all day posted:

Can you explain this? I know nothing about it, and it just seems to me that once you base paint, you’re back to the brush. What obvious things am I missing?

You can prime, basecoat, lay shadows and highlights, trivialize blending and osl, do enamel and oil filters, varnish, and probably all sorts of other stuff.

Here's an example of someone knocking out a Tau unit using basically only an airbrush with a few details done with a brush at the end. Takes a matter of minutes to get them to a tabletop standard with blends that would take hours by hand.

http://massivevoodoo.blogspot.com/2011/10/tutorial-tabletop-use-of-airbrush.html

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
You can trivially do perfect colour blends/gradients in about 30 seconds with an airbrush that would take an hour by brush and still not look half as smooth

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

The party's mule survived a troll attack and got named Lucky so now he's everyone's favorite and of course he needs a mini

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Toebone posted:

The party's mule survived a troll attack and got named Lucky so now he's everyone's favorite and of course he needs a mini

weathering on the pan is a really nice touch

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011
Weird question, but will zinc hex nuts rust if left in mini paint pots? We are in super lockdown where I am, so I can't get anything else for agitators, and the answer is quite difficult to google

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Pb and Jellyfish posted:

Weird question, but will zinc hex nuts rust if left in mini paint pots? We are in super lockdown where I am, so I can't get anything else for agitators, and the answer is quite difficult to google
From what I remember from rust protection, zinc is used specifically because it'll rust first. I dunno how much it carries, but I'd assume it's a very bad material if you want it rust-free.

ed: Unless you meant zinc-plated steel? In that case gently caress no, you want stainless or ceramic stirrers.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 21:08 on May 21, 2021

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Hematite beads are also excellent stirrers. They're basically polished stone, so zero chance of rusting. You can get them at just about any place online that sells beads for cheap as well. For the price of 50 name-brand stainless steel ball stirrers, I got like 1000 hematite beads on Etsy.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

PoptartsNinja posted:

Contrast paints would be my suggestion, then.

Any recommendations? I do need to pick up paint for my big rear end pile. I have painted minis before, but using my grandpa's art paint.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

This my second batch of necrons. They’re so much better than the first; better brushes and I watched some YouTube stuff about techniques. S you can see they’re still in need of basing - they’re not glued down so I can do pretty much anything. Any suggestions?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Maigius posted:

Any recommendations? I do need to pick up paint for my big rear end pile. I have painted minis before, but using my grandpa's art paint.

Wyldwood, Snakebite Leather, and Skeleton Horde for sure. The Roc alone will probably be majority brown, so Wyldwood and Skeleton Horde will make painting all those feathers easy. All of the fleshtones are great, and you can't go wrong with Black Templar and Bascilicanum Gray. Most of the colors are solid, too.

Other than that, it really depends on what minis you have and what colors you want.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Maigius posted:

Just to add to the other suggestions, pick up some contrast medium as well. It's great for moderating how intense you want colors to be, and can be used with wetblending to create fades/transitions.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

weathering on the pan is a really nice touch

I think that's actually some bits of flock that I forgot to brush off for the picture but I'll take the compliment :)

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Pb and Jellyfish posted:

They are not a good choice. Zinc plating is the base line for corrosion protection. Knocking around in there will wear the corners down and expose the steel.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

the fart question posted:

This my second batch of necrons. They’re so much better than the first; better brushes and I watched some YouTube stuff about techniques. S you can see they’re still in need of basing - they’re not glued down so I can do pretty much anything. Any suggestions?

Something light to contrast your dark colour scheme

Might I suggest "immortal robots emerging onto a sunny beach"

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Hematite beads are also excellent stirrers. They're basically polished stone, so zero chance of rusting.

Hematite is an excellent choice, though to be more precise it's a stable form of Iron Oxide, or rust, so it's more that it can't rust any more than it already is. The easiest way to check that you got real hematite also is to make sure it's NOT magnetic, if it is you have something else that could end up rusting.

I like them because they are extremely cheap, heavy but also zero chance of failure compared to something like stainless steel. I have seen way too many horror story examples of so called stainless steel rusting in peoples paint pots. Glass beads are another decent choice, though not as heavy.

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011
Thanks everyone, looks like hematite is the way to go.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Glass is good too.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I finished a few tiny spaceships!

The Leopard-class DropShips Traumatic Insertion

Landfill Destiny

and Watercress Sandwich

The Claymore-class DropShip Fox-2

The Broadsword-class DropShips Kerensky's Ride

and With Interest

And I decided to name my big Fortress-class DropShip the Our Lady of Perpetual Fire Support

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Cinara posted:

The easiest way to check that you got real hematite also is to make sure it's NOT magnetic, if it is you have something else that could end up rusting.

poo poo.

Well, it hasn't rusted yet, at least.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
what do you guys do with all of your sprues when you're finished with them? I've kept my Necromunda orange one because it might be useful one day, but I have a pretty big pile otherwise....I have no shortage of minis to practice painting on from my Descent: Journeys in the Dark boxed sets

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Cat Face Joe posted:

Glass is good too.

Are they? I work in ceramics and we ball mill stuff, we never ever use glass as they can leach soda and significantly alter what you are mixing. You have to be 100% certain of the origin, type, and quality of glass due to that possibility. Maybe it is more forgiving with paints though?

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

I just bought a cheap paint/ink/specimen vortex agitator on Aliexpress, will report back in a few weeks.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Virtual Russian posted:

Are they? I work in ceramics and we ball mill stuff, we never ever use glass as they can leach soda and significantly alter what you are mixing. You have to be 100% certain of the origin, type, and quality of glass due to that possibility. Maybe it is more forgiving with paints though?

I mean, what I'm worried about is pretty much entirely; Will it noticeably change the colour or massively alter texture of the paint. I think most glass is probably fine in that respect, my problem with glass agitators (which I have in several bottles/pots) is pretty much entirely that it isnt quite as dense as I would like, so it doesnt have the mass of a ball bearing rattling round, and is a bit of a pain in your thicker paints. Still works but a bit more effort. Next time I'm gonna try using a couple of small rocks (after washing and putting in the oven for a bit in case of any unwanted biology hanging onto them). and see how that works.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

PoptartsNinja posted:

I finished a few tiny spaceships!

The Leopard-class DropShips Traumatic Insertion

Landfill Destiny

and Watercress Sandwich

The Claymore-class DropShip Fox-2

The Broadsword-class DropShips Kerensky's Ride

and With Interest

And I decided to name my big Fortress-class DropShip the Our Lady of Perpetual Fire Support

I mean to say this every time you post your mechs, but I keep forgetting to. Well, your mechs (and dropships) are seriously cool, and they're a joy to look at.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

dishwasherlove posted:

I just bought a cheap paint/ink/specimen vortex agitator on Aliexpress, will report back in a few weeks.

Mine has been great. Combined with a mixing bead, it really takes care of those annoying paints that you would otherwise have to roll and shake for like 15 minutes.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

the fart question posted:

Those look great----color scheme reminds me of the Shade character from Cyberbots actually. Really love the blue/black with the pink, really awesome retrofuture feel.

Just painted the new Vampire Lord; wanted to so a blueish chrome armor with some bloodbronze parts. New Sigmar stuff is so incredible, I loving love the vampires.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

inscrutable horse posted:

I mean to say this every time you post your mechs, but I keep forgetting to. Well, your mechs (and dropships) are seriously cool, and they're a joy to look at.

Thank you! :shobon:

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Speaking of vampires, just finished Ennias Curse-Born!

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:
I finally started painting my army that’s sat for ages, and I have learned that good god I’m terrible at this. I just feel like my paint is way too thin, but I’m only adding a drop or two of water. Is there a picture or something that shows the consistency I should be aiming for? At this rate, it’s going to take five coats just for the base coat

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

love it! awesome colors

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Luminous Cow posted:

I finally started painting my army that’s sat for ages, and I have learned that good god I’m terrible at this. I just feel like my paint is way too thin, but I’m only adding a drop or two of water. Is there a picture or something that shows the consistency I should be aiming for? At this rate, it’s going to take five coats just for the base coat

Usually you want something like whole milk. What brand of paint are you using?

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Is that space wolves grey(contrast) on the wings? It's really good.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Luminous Cow posted:

what paints are you using? I know that sounds strange but when I started out I tried using a thinned out contrast paint (bad idea) and was completely baffled by how thin it was because I didnt know

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011

Luminous Cow posted:

A great idea is finding a youtube video of someone using the same paint brand as you and just doing what they do, with preference to keeping it simple. If you are starting out then primer, basecoat, and a wash is all you need. I like this guy a lot as he keeps it simple, paints both a variety of figures, and uses a variety of paints (eg one video may have all contrast paints, one vallejo, one citadel, one army painter etc): https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG0ZCl2VfG9PcCJyucWJR3w
He also isn't obnoxious at all

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:
I’m using Army Painter brand paints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

More painting done, wrapping up my nids and death guard for now.

Warriors can't suck forever, right?

Plus some terrain stuff I've had lying around for years

The russ got thrown in for free with some ebay stuff, it was this beat up and seemed to much effort to salvage into a usable mini.