Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

at least the horn plays "La cucaracha"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans
President Biden loves ethnostates.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Bideo James posted:

President Biden loves ethnostates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYLNCcLfIkM

And this was when his brain was still good.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

For four years, the president of the United States prioritized the WWE of media and the rest of the world had to watch as Republican Only Fans, aka Fox News, was given exclusive access to the most powerful man in the world.

America had to act like Republican Highlights was doing real journalism. The president even invited America’s favorite honey-baked ham to do an exclusive one-on-one interview with him at the White House.

So now the rabbit has the gun and America is huffing and puffing because a Black gay woman is rooting for everyone Black. Recently, Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot announced that as she approaches the two-year anniversary of her historic win, she’s giving one-on-one interviews to mark the occasion but only to journalists of color.

“I ran to break up the status quo that was failing so many. That isn’t just in City Hall,” Lightfoot tweeted Wednesday morning, NBC Chicago reports. “It’s a shame that in 2021, the City Hall press corps is overwhelmingly White in a city where more than half of the city identifies as Black, Latino, AAPI or Native American.”

And white people hate it.

“Diversity and inclusion is imperative across all institutions including media. In order to progress we must change,” Lightfoot continued. “This is exactly why I’m being intentional about prioritizing media requests from POC reporters on the occasion of the two-year anniversary of my inauguration as mayor of this great city.”

Lightfoot called the racial makeup of the City Hall press corps “an imbalance that needs to change,” adding that Chicago’s local media “should reflect the multiple cultures that comprise it.”

Is it an extreme way to combat an racial imbalance? Of course it is. But how else do you stop a systematic imbalance? White men were built into the fabric of journalism. There has never been a shortage of white men in journalism. So sometimes the only way to balance out the scales is to tip them in your favor. I see nothing wrong with Lightfoot’s insistence that journalists look like the city they cover.

Not everyone agrees with me. But isn’t that exactly what President Trump just did?

Maybe Lightfoot said the quiet part out loud. Maybe she shouldn’t have shared her thoughts publicly so that places like the Chicago Tribune could have had enough cover to hide. I don’t remember them taking such a bold stance with Trump but maybe I missed the column where they announced that they wouldn’t be going to the White House events until the president’s lily white interview list became more inclusive.

Lightfoot tried to explain to news outlets the “thinking behind that decision.”

“In the time since I was elected, our country has faced an historic reckoning around systemic racism,” Lightfoot wrote. “In looking at the absence of diversity across the City Hall press corps and other newsrooms, sadly it does not appear that many of the media institutions in Chicago have caught on and truly have not embraced this moment.”

Lightfoot added that she has been “struck” by the “overwhelming whiteness and maleness of Chicago media outlets, editorial boards, the political press corps, and yes, the City Hall press corps specifically.

“I am issuing a challenge to you,” Lightfoot wrote in her letter. “Hire reporters of color — and especially women of color — to cover Chicago politics, and City Hall in particular.”

Lightfoot is one Black woman in a position of power and she’s using that leverage as best she can. But I know, America hates when Black people try to make things right. It’s a biblical kind of hate that America has for Black women. But we don’t want to address that. We’d rather make this about white exclusion rather than people of color inclusion. But go off, sis.

Lightfoot issued a challenge to news outlets asking that they look inside their newsroom and see if they are overlooking people of color to cover City Hall. She asked that they ask themselves, why are white men still the voice of a city that isn’t white? She asked if outlets had looked at their own coverage and identified and rooted out implicit bias, the same way Black folks have asked the police force to do.

“If the answer to these questions is no, be advised that I will continue to press for that to change,” Lightfoot wrote.

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

DACK FAYDEN posted:

freeh was the last name of the vice presidential candidate in Transmetropolitan who was literally grown in a vat three years before the election rofl

As a book transmet has aged really poorly.

The twelve issues around the election though, absolutely amazing.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

what a mystery

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

"maybe if we fine their manager"

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Hmm....

The Harvard Survey posted:

This poll of 18-to 29-year-olds, with undergraduate students from the Harvard Public Opinion Project (HPOP) anddirected by John Della Volpe, was conducted by Ipsos Public Affairs using the KnowledgePanel Calibration approach. In this approach, the calibrating sample was provided by the KnowledgePanel probability-based sample source (n=1,005), while the sample to be calibrated was provided by non-probability, opt-in web panel sample sources (n=1,508). Interviews were conducted between March 9 and March 22, 2021.

It's been a long time since I studied stats, and I've never heard of this whole "KnowledgePanel Calibration approach" before, but something about lumping in a majority of opt-in samples with probability-based samples pings the distrust gland in my brain. Why wouldn't you just use the probability-based sample? If it's truly random, N=1005 is going to be perfectly acceptable for most purposes.

Other things I noticed from the survey:

-64% don't consider themselves to be politically active/engaged.
-More think the US is going in the wrong direction than the right one (35% to 26%)
-24% don't seem to get their news from anywhere (not news networks, social media, nothing...)

All that said, I compared this survey with one conducted in Spring 2019 and found that:

-While Dem support increased by 2% (39 to 41), Republican support fell by 1 (23 to 22).
-Those who think the US is going in the wrong direction has decreased since this poll (48%)
-84% check their phones at least once per day to check up on the news/current events, which suggests a lot of people have just checked out politically compared to two years ago (assuming the poll is accurate, of course).
-Trust in the military remains steady at 49% across both polls.
-Trust in the police and wall street was measured in 2021, but not in 2019, so I have no idea how that might have changed.
-Two years ago, a majority wanted everyone to have government provided health care (a plurality - 47% - specifically wanted single-payer), and a plurality (fully half) wanted the government to provide everyone with a housing and necessities guarantee. These questions weren't asked this year ~*~for some reason~*~.
-Those who believe cutting taxes is effective at increasing economic growth has increased from 36% to 40%. Likewise those who believe in removing trade barriers (32% to 39%).
-More survey respondents believe that the government should do more to fight poverty this year compared to two years ago (61% compared to 50%)

So plenty of grains of salt here, but also plenty to be depressed about. Yay!

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

https://twitter.com/talmonsmith/status/1396417524078624772

This would happen no matter how much money farmers in general got, as long as there were an additional amount for minority farmers, though

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Josh Christ posted:

incredibly, incredibly poorly

but nonetheless there are small parts of it that still hold up

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

galenanorth posted:

This would happen no matter how much money farmers in general got, as long as there were an additional amount for minority farmers, though
yeah it's... like four billion dollars is not even that much money given what they're trying to remedy

especially if the government's argument is literally "the last coronavirus stimulus went disproportionate to white farmers" you're not even remedying Jim Crow you're remedying last year

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Until Iran admits Bibi's right to personally sterilize any undesirables there can be no peace for Palestine

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Reality Protester posted:

I had a white guy explain to me he only likes white guy rap, like Eminem and Jay z. I asked if he liked Will Smith and he said no, that's too white.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Josh Christ posted:

imagine thinking journalists will save us and expose the system

hunter s. thompson killed himself!

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Reality Protester posted:

I had a white guy explain to me he only likes white guy rap, like Eminem and Jay z. I asked if he liked Will Smith and he said no, that's too white.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

what website is this

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/GravelInstitute/status/1395847293425885187?s=19

Lol at having one of the morons from Majority Report do your videos

Useless

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/GravelInstitute/status/1395847293425885187?s=19

Lol at having one of the morons from Majority Report do your videos

Useless

Perhaps the Gravel Teens are finally growing up as responsible Gravel Adults, hmm?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

Perhaps the Gravel Teens are finally growing up as responsible Gravel Adults, hmm?

From Klobuchar's interns to TYT alums

Just another notch in the bedpost

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Bidens brain is stuck in the 90s Arab countries have acknowledged Israel as a country and are making deals with them

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Shageletic posted:

Bidens brain is stuck in the 90s Arab countries have acknowledged Israel as a country and are making deals with them

sadly it is actually the 1890's and he keeps asking to telegraph the sultan

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

lumpentroll posted:

what website is this

it’s called twitter

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

fart simpson posted:

it’s called twitter

:thanks:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i love to help

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/BernieSanders/status/1395908895479054339?s=20

:bern101:

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

um....

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
great people on both sides

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

bernie tweet is pretty clearly about america guys???

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Shipon posted:

teslas look like the lovely low-poly background car models you put in some game set in the near-future. absolutely bland looking, no interesting lines, lovely interiors and a dumb touchscreen instead of physical buttons to do anything

Agreed. I want an electric car, but I want it to not suck and be a deathtrap if the batteries have a run-away discharge.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

also I took one look at the thread title and was like "that's a smythe right there" :discourse:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

this, this is a bullshit statement

if he doesn't consider this condition met already he never will

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

loquacius posted:

also I took one look at the thread title and was like "that's a smythe right there" :discourse:

some posters are simply masters of their brand

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

loquacius posted:

this, this is a bullshit statement

if he doesn't consider this condition met already he never will

Huh, you know what, you might be right. We should look into this Biden character to see if he really believes in the leftist reforms he constantly espouses, or if it's just an attractive facade

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

loquacius posted:

bernie tweet is pretty clearly about america guys???

Are you saying that the tweet made any sort of sense and wasn't just more aligning with the colonialist genocides???

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Classic Biden

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

:suicide:

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Agreed. I want an electric car, but I want it to not suck and be a deathtrap if the batteries have a run-away discharge.

Get Ford's new house battery backup that doubles as a truck

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

All the best and most free countries like the UAE the Saudi Arabia already have said this so it must be true.

mcmagic has issued a correction as of 15:52 on May 23, 2021

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Just another great statement from good ol' Jenocide Joe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

Just another great statement from good ol' Jenocide Joe