Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I liked getting multiple different dialogues about how Alan is also a scientist. Two separate instances with two different scripts and neither makes sense following the other. It's like they knew they wanted that idea and accidentally included it twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I get the sense that they tinkered with narrative progression after they already recorded the voiced lines.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Fangz posted:

I get the sense that they tinkered with narrative progression after they already recorded the voiced lines.

Could also just be that the flags are broken and it's triggering dialog that it's not supposed to.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

They'd almost all have to be broken. Right at the start of the game you get something like half a dozen letters from Sam that explain... most of the circumstances. The pads in Base Zero finish just about everything other than means up. Frankly, the protagonist's reactions aren't really justified from the moment she read the last letter from Sam. Phi Base clears up means for the most part, and Maida is the icing on the cake. Everything else is simply justifying the decision, but most of the mystery is answered from pretty much second one.

If the story hadn't been rewritten I'd be asking a lot more questions about their writing ability, but running out of budget and motivation on rewriting is understandable. Sure, the dialogue and story largely fall apart on examination and make Robin look like a serious ditz, but at least for me the motivation for buying the game is more Subnautica. The story is pretty much irrelevant. Also I'll have to get around to answering the alien SOS at some point but I was having too much fun playing CSI:4546b and now I need to make myself a proper seahome.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

drat, I was excited to use the hoverbike but the controls feel fantastically bad to use. In particular how weird the turning is, where it only consistently turns with the mouse while you're holding W and the rest of the time you get a weird half-mouselook that only turns the vehicle once you look far enough to the side. And why can't it go in the water? The game is 90% water.

Unless there's some other part of the game I haven't encountered yet where it's relevant, the entire thing only seems to exist for 1 part.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Complications posted:

The story is pretty much irrelevant. Also I'll have to get around to answering the alien SOS at some point but I was having too much fun playing CSI:4546b and now I need to make myself a proper seahome.

Aww, you missed out. If you answer the alien SOS, you get a buddy who sometimes comments on things you do as you go through the story. I picked him up first and he has dialogue commenting when I sabotage the Delta base for example.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Also some sealife will respond friendly to you after you get your friend.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Is there a way to turn off the lily paddler hypnosis entirely? It gives me a literal headache and every time i get hit exploring this darn cave i have to close my eyes and spam the console command to turn it off but it doesn’t stay off

And there are a LOT of these bastards in this drat cave

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

coolusername posted:

Is there a way to turn off the lily paddler hypnosis entirely? It gives me a literal headache and every time i get hit exploring this darn cave i have to close my eyes and spam the console command to turn it off but it doesn’t stay off

And there are a LOT of these bastards in this drat cave

I just rammed the poo poo out of them with the seatruck whenever I saw them.

I left all the other sea creatures alone but those things had to die.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
They just add a statistic to show how many creatures got murdered by the players ramming them with the seatruck.

nekoxid
Mar 17, 2009

Uhh... I think I found an unfinished area?

I found a bunch of empty caves under one of the Kelp Forest while looking for nests and fragments. No fishes, no foliage, no resources, nothing.
(The coordinates are: 78.3, -138.1, -63.7)

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

nekoxid posted:

Uhh... I think I found an unfinished area?

I found a bunch of empty caves under one of the Kelp Forest while looking for nests and fragments. No fishes, no foliage, no resources, nothing.
(The coordinates are: 78.3, -138.1, -63.7)

That might also be the same (and only) bug I experienced in BZ, where parts of biomes (I assume in a similar chunk mechanic like in minecraft?) just loaded nothing outside of terrain and placed structures (but no support columns and such) until I saved and reloaded

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Clarste posted:

Could also just be that the flags are broken and it's triggering dialog that it's not supposed to.

They are broken and stalled my progress until I wiki'd it. I had Alan saying 'remember the fabricator base? We have to return'. In reality I had never gone there, and I had no idea where it was. So I suspect if the flags would have worked well, Alan would have another line of dialogue hinting the location.

nekoxid
Mar 17, 2009

Duzzy Funlop posted:

That might also be the same (and only) bug I experienced in BZ, where parts of biomes (I assume in a similar chunk mechanic like in minecraft?) just loaded nothing outside of terrain and placed structures (but no support columns and such) until I saved and reloaded

This is the only place which is empty (for me at least), even after saving/reloading. I had no problems with the other areas.
Sometimes the columns for my base were missing, but it loaded in as soon as I got closer.

Also: am I missing something at the Koppa mining site? There are some closed doors, and I can see some resources behind them, but I have no idea how can I open them.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
I had a moment like that where I went to where an architect artifact was supposed to be but it was just a blank hole with nothing but terrain. I reloaded my game and everything was there so it's very possible something glitched out and none of the objects loaded.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

nekoxid posted:

Also: am I missing something at the Koppa mining site? There are some closed doors, and I can see some resources behind them, but I have no idea how can I open them.

I don't think so. I used the little map on the seaglide and those corridors just sort of end as soon as they turn a corner. I think they're just for show.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Made life hard for myself yesterday on the original. Was going through the underground river and put on silent running to get past a leviathan and left it on that and drained the poo poo out of my power, then needed to make a base to make a power charger station and found the safe-ish blue area with some thermal vents but I was low on titanium, and a lot of the titanium was just below crush depth for my prawn suit so I had to drill a node, retreat and repair, repeat.

Eventually though I got a base set up supplied with plenty of thermal power and this biome appears to be incredibly rich in large deposits in like, every loving thing.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

drat, I was excited to use the hoverbike but the controls feel fantastically bad to use. In particular how weird the turning is, where it only consistently turns with the mouse while you're holding W and the rest of the time you get a weird half-mouselook that only turns the vehicle once you look far enough to the side. And why can't it go in the water? The game is 90% water.

Unless there's some other part of the game I haven't encountered yet where it's relevant, the entire thing only seems to exist for 1 part.

The only part where the hoverbike is actually useful is when you can use it to jump between some of the islands in front of the main land. Some of them aren't accessible any other way I'm pretty sure.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I snapped and finished the game with much abuse of console commands after like, AN HOUR AND A HALF of trying to find the drat antidote cave only to get murdered brutally while I was controlling the penguin. And this was after losing my fully upgraded sea prawn in a leviathan related incident. At which point item stasisrifle, cold off, oxygen off, gently caress you goto biome happened.

I liked the game on the whole! But it has the same problem the first one does for me: my spatial reasoning is hideous, and so many areas look the same, I end up going around in circles for ages even though I've worked out what I have to do. It happened on the Mercury II, too, I had to turn off oxygen because I was literally just getting stuck in the same rooms and drowning over and over trying to find the last vent for the parallel scan. I found the room from the blocked side like, ten minutes in. It took me a solid hour to find the matching vent. And then I get frustrated drowning or dying in the same location over and over because I'm not even finding new places, I'm just going around in circles.

In conclusion: this game is mean to me, specifically. However I did think it was fun for the most part. The story's a bit janky and sometimes things trigger weirdly ( Al-an had multiple I'M A SCIENTIST dialogue) but the voice acting was solid and I feel like it's mostly Sam's arc that really really punishes the "whoops you went in the wrong order" problem because going to some bases gives you the answers and then you end up in an earlier base with amnesia.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Did they ever explain how exactly Sam died? Like, I got the audio log that was recorded at the time of her death but it wasn't made super clear if it was a gently caress up, an accident, a bomb going off, an earthquake, a monster, or what.

I enjoyed it but also was very ready for it to be over; I feel like they seriously need to improve their sign-posting both for areas of interest and for navigating some of the caves. The crystal caverns was rough, I was never scared of the big boys down there, nor was I ever at risk, but I felt like I spent far too long wandering around trying to find my way out.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Wrr posted:

Did they ever explain how exactly Sam died? Like, I got the audio log that was recorded at the time of her death but it wasn't made super clear if it was a gently caress up, an accident, a bomb going off, an earthquake, a monster, or what.

I enjoyed it but also was very ready for it to be over; I feel like they seriously need to improve their sign-posting both for areas of interest and for navigating some of the caves. The crystal caverns was rough, I was never scared of the big boys down there, nor was I ever at risk, but I felt like I spent far too long wandering around trying to find my way out.

Agreed. Above ground and below there was a real lack of recognizable landmarks. By the end the edges of my screen were filled with beacon markers. For a lot of places I just resorted to maze logic where I hugged a wall and went clockwise or counterclockwise, and that worked pretty well for getting through the crystal caverns.

I think the vent garden was my favorite part of the game, and it worked great as a cool landmark too.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I am really enjoying the songs you can find on discs, it's pretty cool that most of them are made by fans.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, BZ was sorely lacking in the 'awe and wonder' department that the first had so much more of. Vent Gardens where great, giant lilypads where good too, but that's not enough!

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Made it to the bottom of the original, and it looks like I have my goals now to reach the endgame.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
drat, fair warning to anyone who opens the console at any point: totally disables your achievements. I got caught in the Moonpool's janky rear end geometry again a while back, just totally stuck nothing I could do to move. Looked it up and the only fix was to die slowly and take the penalty, reload and lose that progress, or use a console command that moves you 1m in a random direction. Didn't realize that 1 km of movement out of their janky geometry was grounds for permanent achievement disqualification. Just given the buggy reputation of this series, seems like a harsh move.

edit: used the steam achievement manager program to give myself the ones it didn't count and i'm a lot closer to the end than I thought

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 20:34 on May 23, 2021

nekoxid
Mar 17, 2009

Khanstant posted:

drat, fair warning to anyone who opens the console at any point: totally disables your achievements. I got caught in the Moonpool's janky rear end geometry again a while back, just totally stuck nothing I could do to move. Looked it up and the only fix was to die slowly and take the penalty, reload and lose that progress, or use a console command that moves you 1m in a random direction. Didn't realize that 1 km of movement out of their janky geometry was grounds for permanent achievement disqualification. Just given the buggy reputation of this series, seems like a harsh move.

Yeah it sucks when things like that happens. I lost an hour of progress because of the achievement disqualification. The seatruck decided to bug out and trap me inside with no controls at all (so I had to quit the game). I could have warped myself out of it (probably) with the console commands. This game really needs an autosave...

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I really enjoyed losing 4 hours because my game crashed on hardcore mode right after I had found everything to start base building and the sea truck.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Why do people still play on hardcore after all the apparent bugs resulting in deaths? Just restart when you die, there is no other difference.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It's also weird because it doesn't like, warn you. The OG you had to re-open the game for achievements. Not the biggest deal, just I did something that seemed like a "big deal" in the game but it was kind of underwhelming, plus didn't get the achievement, made me question if what I did was even a plot point or some side thing I was doing because I happened to be carrying the antidote with me. Two actually, somehow I didn't register that I only learned the recipe by literally picking the complete one up and it was in my inventory... still made another one in my land base soon as I unlocked it. I kind of figure this means I'm about done with this area of the game, think I've scanned and read/done everything, which I think means I'll never build the snow speeder thing. Then again I remember a land creature from an old preview early in development I still ain't seen: sandworms, but ice flavour. Speeder seems entirely superfluous if you're cool with some creative grappling in the Prawn suit. I think the land-Prawn experience won me over more than anything in the ocean with it did for me. I especially love the way way backwards and sideways momentum works that kind of lets you jiggle physics into some weird boosts or height/distance swings.

I kind of wish I knew what it would've been like to go on land more early on, there's so many resources and things up here it seems like you'd be able to get somewhat far up a tech tree without getting wet much at all, maybe even only because a lot of plans are only scannable underwater.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I was a huge fan of Subnautica and went into complete blackout mode when I heard Below Zero was in development. Started playing the PS5 version this weekend and... it's just so good to be playing another one of these games.

Lots of smart little additions, tweaks, and changes. The game has also been pretty stable compared to the original. Which isn't saying much.

Favorite moment so far: A sea money stole my flashlight and I had to go get it back.

Biggest surprise so far: Walking up to Delta Station and some lady in a pirate exosuit suit jumped down and told me to gently caress off. I wasn't expecting other living people to be in the game this time. Guess that explains the chattier player character.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Khanstant posted:

edit: used the steam achievement manager program to give myself the ones it didn't count and i'm a lot closer to the end than I thought

I am disappointed, but sadly unsurprised the Devs double down on catering to "But the purity of the experience!" mouthbreathers, considering even temporary cheevo disables in the first game to get past the intro sequence glitching out to be an inescapable death loop with a flying untouchable fire extinguisher got people screeching that cheaters don't deserve anything.

Plek posted:

Why do people still play on hardcore after all the apparent bugs resulting in deaths? Just restart when you die, there is no other difference.

Basically browbeaten into thinking it won't count otherwise by gamer guilt. A mindset I used to have. I think someone in these threads kept hurling themselves at hardcore mode until they no-clipped through the goddamned victory cutscene and died at the last second or some insanity too?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Does anyone else get slightly nervous when they think about re-doing their own base? There's a lot of different ways to set this drat thing up and I have absolutely no idea where to start.

You definitely need a room for power, and a room for growing food. But I'm a little daunted by all the other things you can make.

Anybody got base designs I can copy? :haw:

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Pollyanna posted:

Does anyone else get slightly nervous when they think about re-doing their own base? There's a lot of different ways to set this drat thing up and I have absolutely no idea where to start.

You definitely need a room for power, and a room for growing food. But I'm a little daunted by all the other things you can make.

There's a Large Room that has enough room for power, food, storage, and water purification. Like there are 3 or 4 central slots and twice as many wall slots. Large Room + Moonpool + Scanner Room (and control room if you're feeling snazzy) is essentially a complete base.

But hell if your base isn't a twisty mess of rooms, tunnels and ladders, all surrounded by growbeds of kelp then I dunno are we even playing the same game?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Pollyanna posted:

All my bases are either one hallway section with a door, fabricator, and solar/thermal plant slapped on top or the architectural lovechild of a habitrail and the Winchester Manor; design is for cowards

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

SynthesisAlpha posted:

But hell if your base isn't a twisty mess of rooms, tunnels and ladders, all surrounded by growbeds of kelp then I dunno are we even playing the same game?

I want stairs. Not ladders, but stairs. I'd even accept an external tunnel object that was angled to be stairs and looped in and out of the structure.

I've been building a base in the trenches in the Crystal Caves, and tucking the moonpools into the trenches keeps the seatruck and prawn safe from random leviathans trying for a snack. Downside is it's a bit hard to build a large complex without the multiple levels.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Pollyanna posted:

snail posted:

I want stairs. Not ladders, but stairs. I'd even accept an external tunnel object that was angled to be stairs and looped in and out of the structure.

I've been building a base in the trenches in the Crystal Caves, and tucking the moonpools into the trenches keeps the seatruck and prawn safe from random leviathans trying for a snack. Downside is it's a bit hard to build a large complex without the multiple levels.

Even the least imaginative base can look better if you go hog wild with windows. This is how I started feeling better about my "Pair of MP room towers with a scanner room and moonpools extending from one side in the base game. It looks less depressing when you can see all the alien containment tanks and planters from the outside. Though I wonder if the wild fish are nervous at the sight of bioreactors between floors.

Don't forget about the vertical ladder tubes which are essentially in base teleportation, so more hallway tubes between actual rooms can be nice for that. Though I never tried seeing how far that can work without the game making GBS threads itself.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:36 on May 24, 2021

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Anyone tried the multiplayer mod of this? How stable is it?

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Disabling cheevos for that is so dumb because the only reason I opened it was to stop lilypaddlers being a drat migraine trigger and then I discovered no cheevos anymore so I might as well really start messing around.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Plek posted:

Because I wasn't aware there were apparent bugs resulting in deaths and I prefer not having a warning pop up every single time I get near zero oxygen. I haven't been keeping up with the thread to avoid spoilers, and I assumed that they took it out of early access due to it being pretty bug free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

coolusername posted:

Disabling cheevos for that is so dumb because the only reason I opened it was to stop lilypaddlers being a drat migraine trigger and then I discovered no cheevos anymore so I might as well really start messing around.

Unless BZ changed something you can open the console and do whatever before saving and reloading to reenable them.