Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Jenny Nicholson’s video is only like 12 minutes or something, and it’s not entirely negative, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Mr Phillby posted:

The 11 hour Last Jedi review guy. Literally includes 'recaps' that last longer than the movies he's reviewing.

It's fun to make fun of stuff. It's fun to nitpick and be hyperbolic. The problem is that some people just can't stop once they start. If something is deemed to be bad then every single aspect of it must be examined and found wanting, no mater the twists of logic needed to get there. Thats what Mauler's videos are but with a side of smug 'objectivity' where their opinions are presented as facts with tiresome appeals to authority based on half understood film theory.

Its not fun to watch and has birthed a whole slew of immitators who get together on stream to loudly and performatively disagree with other youtube reviewers in exactly the same exhausting level of pedantic nitpicky detail except its worse because its five dudes that agree that a thing is bad but will just agree with whatever anyone else is saying even if it counters the thing the just said.

Jay Exci legit did some stuff I liked and I think they were friends with or at least got a twitter shoutout from Hbomb one time. But at the point he was doing a multipart series critiquing one cinemasins video and making twitter posts about how Mauler really changed his views on critique I just unsubscribed.

yeah. i don't mind long stuff, like tehsnaker and Noah make videos that are like 2 hours long but they are either super focused and regimented or at least interesting ramblings. the issue with alot of the mauler types is they try to do a plinket type deal but they arnt loving funny or insightful and they end up retreading the same ground like its no mans land. 2 hours and half is the longest i will listen to something media critic wise outside a few critics.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
MauLer's videos aren't actually meant to be watched, they're meant to be linked and for you to go "wow look at this 11 hour video about how thing is bad, it must be REALLY bad huh?"

And if someone pushes back you can just go "someone didn't watch the video :smug:" because no sane person would sift through all that to refute a point.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
And even if you for some reason do decide to punish yourself like that, they just :smug: about how it doesn't even count unless you go through it line by line, sentence by sentence, in tedious excruciating detail. Sisyphus would consider that too much.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

James Somerton on the use of the word Queer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQVWepgSvfg

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, I liked Jay's videos until I noticed them breathlessly running in to defend MauLer whenever he'd get into it with Cosmonaut Marcus, typically over the "objective review." Also Jay once recommended this YouTuber who was... very, very mad about Korra and Steven Universe which was also a a warning sign. (I forget their name now.)

Lily Orchard. She's the source of the "Steven Universe is fascist because the fascists aren't strung up like Mussolini" and "Korra sucks because HOW DARE THEY HAVE AN ANARCHIST VILLAIN ANARCHISTS ARE THE DUMBEST PEOPLE IN THE WORLD AAAARRRFGGGHHHH" takes.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

BigRed0427 posted:

James Somerton on the use of the word Queer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQVWepgSvfg

Oh! This looks neat! I don't have the mental spoons to watch it right now because I'm going out to socialize and play board games and I want all of today's spoons ready for that. And just looking at the description I know it's going to be exhausting, because I'm one of those "queer is not a slur" and my patience is thin for other side.

theGrooseofLegend
Dec 29, 2013
The rest of her channel doesn't really have these types of videos, but this is a pretty cool video on Kickstarter and how game funding works with Friday Night Funkin's kickstarter as the main example. Games are expensive, who'da thunk!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHBMUKmY6pg

Highlight for me is when the guest goes through "cheaper" kickstarter successes and how almost all them went broke.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Dabir posted:

Lily Orchard. She's the source of the "Steven Universe is fascist because the fascists aren't strung up like Mussolini" and "Korra sucks because HOW DARE THEY HAVE AN ANARCHIST VILLAIN ANARCHISTS ARE THE DUMBEST PEOPLE IN THE WORLD AAAARRRFGGGHHHH" takes.

yeah. i don't really care for steven universe for various reasons but the "its fascist" always struck me as super dumb . i think the reasonable issue in my opinion is that it teachers that all monsters can be saved and redeemed if you word everything correctly. which isnt a bad lesson per say especially of for a family show. but it kinda sucks in our times in some ways.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

if only friday night funkin’ didn’t kinda suck

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Wait, I thought the issue with Steven Universe was its message about there being a peaceful solution for everything was kind of naïve.

It's fascist now?

Clip-On Fedora fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 23, 2021

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Wait, I thought the issue with Steven Universe was its message about there being a peaceful solution for everything was kind of naïve.

Its fascist now?

lily orchard’s video on it is genuinely insane and should not be taken seriously in any way

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

watho posted:

lily orchard’s video on it is genuinely insane and should not be taken seriously in any way

Yeah this.

I unsubscribed from her immediately after I saw it. She is genuinely hysterical in it to the point its kinda disturbing :stare:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

my favorite thing about Lily Orchard is her twitter thread about "writing advice" taking this weird tangent about bows being a strength weapon, not a dex weapon

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Alaois posted:

my favorite thing about Lily Orchard is her twitter thread about "writing advice" taking this weird tangent about bows being a strength weapon, not a dex weapon

oh wait that thread was her? i never made that connection. genuinely one of the worst media critics around lmfao

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Alaois posted:

Half of that was common sense or okay advice, and the rest was poo poo like "Friends is more popular than your favorite anime :smug:" or a dozen really obvious snipes at She-Ra.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Alaois posted:

a broken poster is right once a thread

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Alaois posted:

let's be honest, all weapons should use a combination of all stats, maybe minus char, just in different weights

as I see it, strength may be more important in wielding a big club, but if you're too clumsy, you gonna smash your own feet when trying to hit someone, so dex is also relevant

not to mention endurance, big heavy weapons should drain your HP each swing if your endurance is too low

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

watho posted:

Two hours? It’s manic like an angry customer service call from the first sentence. How do you start scripting that and not realize it’s a bad idea.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Steven Universe is a pleasant, well-made kids cartoon that tackled a bunch of identity and political issues in a smart, thoughtful way and in doing so accidentally primed a bunch of people to assume it was a second volume of The State and Revolution.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Roth posted:

Joseph Anderson voice: "If you do the math, the 2 second long animation that plays everytime you fire a gun in Resident Evil adds up to about 10 minutes of your life, and I just can not condone that in a game"

"This problem of a slightly too long gun firing animation really came to be a problem in my 5th playthrough on Ultra Nightmare when i did my knife only run"

I still have not gotten over his video where he basically says "horror games aren't scary because when you die you get to try again."

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Lily Orchard's 'career' as a critic is an op to make Blaire White's writing ability seem workman-like and sensible.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Neo_Crimson posted:

Half of that was common sense or okay advice, and the rest was poo poo like "Friends is more popular than your favorite anime :smug:" or a dozen really obvious snipes at She-Ra.

I'm going to regret asking this but whats her beef with she-ra?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That loving angry machine-gun delivery is exhausting, and it’s every video. I spend the whole thing feeling like I need to pause and take a deep breath.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Everybody dunks on Mauler for the last jedi videos but for me it will always be the 12 part series he made to pick apart Hbomb's DS2 video literally word by word, for something that ended up being like 10x the length of the video he was actually trying to "critique". And when somebody pointed it out to Hbomb on twitter his response was ":staredog: uh yeah not really interested in watching that" and Mauler showed up in the twitter thread incredibly salty about it. :allears:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

a broken poster is right once a thread

i mean sure but in a thread ostensibly about writing advice, picking at your scab about D&D weapon classifications is a weird turn!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Wasn't Lily Orchard the one who started a "What Not To Do When Writing Fan Fiction" Twitter thread that started out as general writing advice and very quickly devolved into an unhinged screaming rant about how much she hated She-Ra?

E: yes she was

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Libluini posted:

let's be honest, all weapons should use a combination of all stats, maybe minus char, just in different weights

as I see it, strength may be more important in wielding a big club, but if you're too clumsy, you gonna smash your own feet when trying to hit someone, so dex is also relevant

not to mention endurance, big heavy weapons should drain your HP each swing if your endurance is too low

honorable use of a katana requires charisma

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Sydin posted:

Everybody dunks on Mauler for the last jedi videos but for me it will always be the 12 part series he made to pick apart Hbomb's DS2 video literally word by word, for something that ended up being like 10x the length of the video he was actually trying to "critique". And when somebody pointed it out to Hbomb on twitter his response was ":staredog: uh yeah not really interested in watching that" and Mauler showed up in the twitter thread incredibly salty about it. :allears:

I remember even Mauler's own fans got mad at him for trying to start his response with something akin to 'I like Hbomb's stuff BUT' because they don't even like Hbomb.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

DesertIslandHermit posted:

I remember even Mauler's own fans got mad at him for trying to start his response with something akin to 'I like Hbomb's stuff BUT' because they don't even like Hbomb.

It's so weird and sad seeing them show up in the comments of certain videoa going "Get ready bro, you're about to be EFAP'd!" like it's some kind of threat or that anyone would really care.

Sea_Caldwell
Feb 5, 2021

The biggest red flag that Lily Orchard has is that she's a MovieBob fan.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I can't work out if Mauler has genuinely convinced himself that this is a good and valid way to do criticism or if he does it so he can always be "right" because no one will ever bother spending an entire waking day listening to it or even longer responding. It's somewhere between a filibuster and a gish gallop and the only sane response is to just ignore him.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

watho posted:

5 MILLION VIEWS? The internet is driving us all insane.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Alaois posted:

Which isn't even that applicable to anything other than a longbow; they have draw resistance but fine muscle control is way more useful in terms of, y'know, actually hitting stuff.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Sydin posted:

I know I watched some of Mauler's response to HBomb DS2 video, but I'll be damned if I can remember any of the points from it because of how stupidly long it is.

Conversely, I do remember what MatthewMatosis said when someone asked him about what he thought of HBomb's vid on DS2, and he replied, "I didn't. I'm not into Dark Souls 2 apologism."

Ultimately, my takeaway is that you shouldn't watch either HBomb's or Mauler's DS2 vids, and instead watch the video retrospective LobosJr did on DS2.

Alaois posted:

https://twitter.com/viperwave/status/1328988016019263488

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 23, 2021

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

The Shame Boy posted:

I still have not gotten over his video where he basically says "horror games aren't scary because when you die you get to try again."

I think thats a pretty fair critique, no? the tension of being killed gets pretty rapidly deflated once you realize it has no consequences. immersion helps but it's never quite the same once you realize that.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

yeah that's not like, a controversial or even wrong critique, getting killed in a horror game might be scary once, getting killed by the same enemy 15 times stops being scary and starts being mundane and annoying

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

McConnell posted:

The biggest red flag that Lily Orchard has is that she's a MovieBob fan.

I remember her when she was (deadname) on Fanfiction.net. She wrote odd Family Guy fanfics and had a fic with some Yahtzee wannabe critiquing other Family Guy fanfics. Except when it got to hers they were both really glowing over it. She also claimed to have a toddler at 16/17 and gave parenting advice on her blog.

The Internet's a hell of thing.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Famethrowa posted:

I think thats a pretty fair critique, no? the tension of being killed gets pretty rapidly deflated once you realize it has no consequences. immersion helps but it's never quite the same once you realize that.

That's more about having the right level of challenge imo. If your character dies so much it becomes tedious instead of threatening, then that section of the game is overtuned.

Horror movies aren't scary because there's no consequences at all! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Wow.

It just keeps going.