Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Rectal Death Adept posted:

divabot/David Gerard is a fraud that needs to stop shilling writing he largely stole from the decade long conversation other people have been having in these threads

"Bitcoin is bad" -me, 2017 copyright trademark OC do not steal. It is forbidden to express this idea without my permission

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

It's no "changing my avatar is a death threat" but this is a solid meltdown.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I mean, he does shill his book pretty regularly, dating back to 2017 in this thread alone.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It's a good book, very shill-worthy IMO.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

I'm not saying he ripped things word for word. I never bothered word searching posts in his books but anyone who has read these threads since 2011 or so has seen the internal narrative develop. Hundreds of people have crowdsourced some really good information and insights on bitcoin.

This guy wants to be the salesman of that information and claim the insights as his own that's fine, just don't be desperate enough to bring it back here for a few extra clicks.

The equivalent would be someone from the Starcitizen thread selling a book filled with anecdotes and insights the people there developed through tens of thousands of posts. I'm sure the time they paid $20,000 for a functional space door in their office and lied about it would be an interesting tidbit for a book. There were still like 50 people involved in discovering and figuring this poo poo out. If the end result of that is five years later one singular rear end in a top hat wants to claim he alone is responsible for knowing all of these weird and unique interesting things while also doing this bit where he got it? nah.

You are insane. Log off.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Jose Valasquez posted:

It's no "changing my avatar is a death threat" but this is a solid meltdown.

the bitcoin thread has a very strong conservation of delusion principle

bitcoin tanks, so all the crazy bitcoiners vanish. thus someone else must appear with an equally mentally deranged take.

cage-free egghead posted:

I mean, he does shill his book pretty regularly, dating back to 2017 in this thread alone.

nah mostly he posts his blog stories, or articles for major media when he writes one. the blog sells the book, but it's also a thing you can read for free. that's not shilling.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 16:31 on May 23, 2021

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

I'm not saying he ripped things word for word. I never bothered word searching posts in his books but anyone who has read these threads since 2011 or so has seen the internal narrative develop. Hundreds of people have crowdsourced some really good information and insights on bitcoin.

This guy wants to be the salesman of that information and claim the insights as his own that's fine, just don't be desperate enough to bring it back here for a few extra clicks.

Yeah, how dare he condense information into easy to read, cogent arguments. People should have to discover SA and read through all 1,038 pages because [reasons]

I mean even if he stole everything word for word, he put the effort into condensing it into something accessible for normal people.

And… who cares? If it talks one person out of touching the poo poo that is crypto, he’s done a good thing.

[THIS POST PROTECTED BY COPYRIGHT CIRCA MMXXI, [FBI-VHS-WARNING.JPG]]

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Winners don't steal posts

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

I own the NFT for this thread and I say using the thread to write books is fine but as the owner of the NFT I get 10% of the profits from the books

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Imagine waking up on a sunday and quadruple rage posting about some guy's book on why bitcoin is dumb and bad

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
How dare writers share opinions with my community. The loving nerve of this guy.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

You can have an NFT of the profits.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

lol btc is still going down

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

The equivalent would be someone from the Starcitizen thread selling a book filled with anecdotes and insights the people there developed through tens of thousands of posts. I'm sure the time they paid $20,000 for a functional space door in their office and lied about it would be an interesting tidbit for a book. There were still like 50 people involved in discovering and figuring this poo poo out. If the end result of that is five years later one singular rear end in a top hat wants to claim he alone is responsible for knowing all of these weird and unique interesting things while also doing this bit where he got it? nah.

*hastily shelves manuscript of “The Code Whisperer: Inside the Mind of my Best Buddy Chris Roberts”*

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

EorayMel posted:

Imagine waking up on a sunday and quadruple rage posting about some guy's book on why bitcoin is dumb and bad

imagine thinking that this thread produced a whole lot of original research on the financial manipulations of Tether

"bitcoin is a ponzi"
"tether printer go brrrr"
"has anyone said buttcoin"

plagiarism!

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Also, apparently writing a book is just as easy as copy-pasting some posts from SA threads. We are such an unlimited font of wisdom that one merely needs to repeat what we say. Divabot, the assisted-living dracula, has never provided original thought or research to this thread. He's never brought our attention to new and ridiculous cryptocurrency scams that we hadn't noticed before. All you have to do to become a successful author is to summarize SA threads. That's why there are so many goons who are successful authors.

catspleen
Sep 12, 2003

I orphaned his children. I widowed his wife.

lol you mean divabot the guy who has posted links to a free copy of the book he is “shilling” in this very thread (or maybe the YOSPOS one idk)?

grey thread poster just mad glory went to YOSPOS. From the Acknowledgments section of the book ffs.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Meltdown May continues to deliver.

catspleen
Sep 12, 2003

Read a book you loving scab

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

if you stole my posts to write a book i'm sorry

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

LanceHunter posted:

Also, apparently writing a book is just as easy as copy-pasting some posts from SA threads. We are such an unlimited font of wisdom that one merely needs to repeat what we say. Divabot, the assisted-living dracula, has never provided original thought or research to this thread. He's never brought our attention to new and ridiculous cryptocurrency scams that we hadn't noticed before. All you have to do to become a successful author is to summarize SA threads. That's why there are so many goons who are successful authors.

I’m working on a book from the tuggin thread. I’m not sure if derpies will be mad or flattered

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Wait why the gently caress is GBS not mentioned?

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
You would think that bitcoin's fundamentals would have prevented it from losing 55% of its value in a month

catspleen
Sep 12, 2003

Mobile app means I am never entirely confident which subforum I am posting in anymore. Not that it matters where poo poo lands.

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012
I don't follow bitcoin much but hearing today that it dropped another 13% down and a total of -$27,000 just weeks after neckbeard libertarians on reddit were all celebrating that it would never crash again I just had to pop in here to say LOL.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Virginia Slams posted:

I don't follow bitcoin much but hearing today that it dropped another 13% down and a total of -$27,000 just weeks after neckbeard libertarians on reddit were all celebrating that it would never crash again I just had to pop in here to say LOL.
This is good for bitcoin

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
I thought I bought the dip. But I bought the plateau before another freefall.

von Vicious
Apr 2, 2015

I'M A GINGER BABY WwwWWaaAaAhhH!!!
https://twitter.com/whale_alert/status/1396517617867833349

rrrrrrrrrrrrrrB????

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Fame Douglas posted:

Winners don't steal posts

You wouldn't download a post.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
TIL that the internet shiptoasting forum GBS is the ultimate source of facts & critiques regarding crypto

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Gazpacho posted:

TIL that the internet shiptoasting forum GBS is the ultimate source of facts & critiques regarding crypto
staples ur post into a book and sells it for millions

Stoop Kid
Jan 17, 2007

Afraid to leave his stoop.
I need to ask my neighbor how profitable his eth mining set up is now lmaooo gently caress crypto

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Stoop Kid posted:

I need to ask my neighbor how profitable his eth mining set up is now lmaooo gently caress crypto

Ask if he has any GPUs to sell then lowball him massively

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

"The 4th largest Bitcoin whale bought an additional 926 Bitcoins at 37,748.12"

catspleen
Sep 12, 2003

Yeah any used GPU should be priced at pennies on the $ at this point. Please?

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Photex posted:

"The 4th largest Bitcoin whale bought an additional 926 Bitcoins at 37,748.12"

If they had waited a few hours, they could have bought the same amount for $6 million less.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
:thunk:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

There is probably a future for cryptocurrency itself. Someone could invent a use for it someday and a lot of money is interested in it.

i kind of assumed this up until a day or two ago, when i was listening to a podcast where kai ryssdal pointed out that bitcoin has been around for about 12 years and how that's an entire epoch in terms of the technology sector and despite tons of people throwing a ton of time and money at the concept for over a decade, no one has even come close to creating a compelling use case outside of illegal activity.

i mean never say never, but after getting some perspective on how long it's been around, i think that if there was some kind of actual problem that this solves better than any existing solutions, it would have risen to the surface by now

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i kind of assumed this up until a day or two ago, when i was listening to a podcast where kai ryssdal pointed out that bitcoin has been around for about 12 years and how that's an entire epoch in terms of the technology sector and despite tons of people throwing a ton of time and money at the concept for over a decade, no one has even come close to creating a compelling use case outside of illegal activity.

i mean never say never, but after getting some perspective on how long it's been around, i think that if there was some kind of actual problem that this solves better than any existing solutions, it would have risen to the surface by now
My understanding is that it is possible that 'blockchain technology' could do something useful... at some point... probably combined with something else... that we can't directly conceive of right now, much like we couldn't squint and theorycraft that some country squire was gonna look at a lot of finches and combine some poo poo he read in Adam Smith about competition and come up with a theory of evolution more sophisticated than 'animal get more complex over time.'

The primary thing it seems to do is boost demand for electricity, GPUs, and now, hard drives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Nessus posted:

My understanding is that it is possible that 'blockchain technology' could do something useful... at some point... probably combined with something else... that we can't directly conceive of right now, much like we couldn't squint and theorycraft that some country squire was gonna look at a lot of finches and combine some poo poo he read in Adam Smith about competition and come up with a theory of evolution more sophisticated than 'animal get more complex over time.'

The primary thing it seems to do is boost demand for electricity, GPUs, and now, hard drives.

An uneditable public ledger might be good for stuff like police record keeping or- Ah, I've just been informed that after making this post, blockchain tech has been declared illegal by all US municipalities.