Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
Cage vs Sydal 3 2.78%
Ogogo vs Gunn 2 1.85%
Deeb vs Velvet 74 68.52%
Bucks vs Blonds 21 19.44%
Wild Things vs Acclaimed 8 7.41%
Total: 108 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

MorningMoon posted:

Brandi forces him to leave all his blades at home. But then, when he's allowed in the room, he spots a surgical blade in the corner of his eye...
"Congratulations, Mr. Rhodes! Would you like to cut the umbilical cord?"

*Brandi comes alert in sudden terror*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

"I don't need a PARTNER

I don't need a FRIEND

What I NEED

Is my BABY DAUGHTER!"

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

The American Baby

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
Cody sneers, he says "that punch didn't even hurt. you'll have to do better than that." Ogogo leans in towards Cody, and whispers "omai wa mo shinderu"

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

jesus WEP posted:

the potato brawl was very good too, but dippin dots had crowd members just milling around the concourse while it was going on and god i miss crowds and such :smith:

It also broke some common wrestling themes, like Cody didn't just back off and end his promo when Jericho locked The Inner Circle in that skybox or whatever. He punched through the fuckin glass and dragged him out. One of the earlier examples of AEW going against traditional conventions that I can remember and being the better for it.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I think my favorite part of that aside from THE DIPPIN DOTS was Jericho holding the ticket above his head like a holy symbol to ward off evil.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Ganso Bomb posted:

It also broke some common wrestling themes, like Cody didn't just back off and end his promo when Jericho locked The Inner Circle in that skybox or whatever. He punched through the fuckin glass and dragged him out. One of the earlier examples of AEW going against traditional conventions that I can remember and being the better for it.

With MJF's scarf wrapped around his hand.
My favorite inversion of traditional conventions was Jericho saying he'd suspend himself from AEW for 60 days if Mox was able to walk out of the arena tonight. And they actually succeeded in stretchering him. That was the last show before Covid ruined everything if I recall. That was also the night Darby made the hot tag to himself and refilled his meter.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

ChrisBTY posted:

With MJF's scarf wrapped around his hand.
My favorite inversion of traditional conventions was Jericho saying he'd suspend himself from AEW for 60 days if Mox was able to walk out of the arena tonight. And they actually succeeded in stretchering him. That was the last show before Covid ruined everything if I recall. That was also the night Darby made the hot tag to himself and refilled his meter.

Bryce called the tag seamlessly and it was one of my all time favorite wrestling moments

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
the self hot tag was as incredible as it was corny, which is what wrestling should always strive to be

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

smarxist posted:

the self hot tag was as incredible as it was corny, which is what wrestling should always strive to be
This.

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?

smarxist posted:

See: fist bump with Sting

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
also one of the best coffin drops right after that sequence

gently caress

why didn't we get Darby vs Sammy for the TNT Title? was he injured or what?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

smarxist posted:

gently caress

Sammy was mired in the inner circle stuff. Darby won the belt at Full Gear, which was the night MJF joined the Inner Circle.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

smarxist posted:

gently caress

Would've made no sense for either guy, and it's clearly a match up that will be a money feud for the company in years to come, so no need to do it without a reason now.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I also think Sammy’s push got derailed (justifiably) because of his gross comments coming out and the resulting suspension. Though maybe not, I dunno. I view his feud with Hardy pretty negatively but I guess some of that is just how it ended up playing out. He definitely seemed to stall out last summer and through the fall though.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

They did Sammy vs. Darby once and they want to save the rematch for a full crowd.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i think he was legit not cleared and it was just never talked about, he said he hadn't wrestled a singles match in 60 days and had to start bumping again, but i never heard a whisper of injury?

maybe he just aggravated something at a time where he couldn't afford to risk making it worse before B&G

it seemed like nobody in Pinnacle or IC was doing much of anything before

smarxist fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 23, 2021

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

I think the part that might be confusing people is that Sammy cut a promo on Dark around the time Darby faced Cage saying he wanted a shot at the TNT title or something like that. Then all the MJF vs Inner Circle stuff happened so he is doing that instead.

Not sure why he cut that promo though.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jordan7hm posted:

I also think Sammy’s push got derailed (justifiably) because of his gross comments coming out and the resulting suspension. Though maybe not, I dunno. I view his feud with Hardy pretty negatively but I guess some of that is just how it ended up playing out. He definitely seemed to stall out last summer and through the fall though.

I wouldn't say it got derailed when he was only off screen for a month and was right back to the storyline he had previously. It's more just that that feud was loving cursed on every level

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

the Inner Circle by definition is absolutely a thing that derailed the amount of interesting stuff Sammy and PnP's been able to do. Pinnacle save for Max and Wardlow are not particularly interesting, Blood And Guts was alright but got onesided and gassed by the latter half, and I just didn't buy the sudden "we're sorry and we're faces now" turn from the Circle for the sake of quickly painting themselves as the faces. Granted PnP and Sammy could easily be face workers but Jericho and Hager, not so much.

Maybe I'd like it more if Pinnacle's roster wasn't quite so bland or got so utterly clowned at Blood and Guts but I'm hoping they lose next week so we can free the group from themselves.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I've gained a lot of respect for FTR and Spears' character direction is probably the most interesting it's been. Pinnacle has a lot of potential for me.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

A way to get back to Sammy/Darby would be for Sammy to go after the TNT title after the Pinnacle feud and win it from Miro and use that to set up a Darby program

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Pylons posted:

I've gained a lot of respect for FTR and Spears' character direction is probably the most interesting it's been. Pinnacle has a lot of potential for me.

I think that's the problem really, I don't know why they fired off blood and guts so quickly after the pinnacle formed, it would have been way better if they had like 6 months of short rear end kicking feuds to establish themselves, then have IC try to settle business later

The kayfabe reason none of them were wrestling is that IC was pulped by pinnacle and pinnacle pulped by IC in retaliation, i think a different blowoff with a hosed finish and then a 4-6 month build with tensions rising would have been a better blood and guts, since pinnacle would have been more than just potential

I think they still made the most of it though, Sammy G starmaking performance, Max's first iconic moment, lots of great stuff

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah they're speed running through Pinnacle vs IC and I just really don't care about it all. Blood and Guts was fine but it was barely built and it will barely matter come Stadium Stampede. I just want this to be done so most everyone involved can move on to something more organic.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah they're speed running through Pinnacle vs IC and I just really don't care about it all. Blood and Guts was fine but it was barely built and it will barely matter come Stadium Stampede. I just want this to be done so most everyone involved can move on to something more organic.

Barely built they teased a turn for months and months and then did some super heated brawls.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
No, Shawn and Sammy should be wrestling each other over and over again for six months so that the feud gets the time it deserves

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

This Jericho/MJF story has been going since September of last year, even longer if you want to count the “do you want to join the inner circle/do you want me to join the inner circle?” segment from before the pandemic.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I see we've entered the part of the week where the AEW withdrawal causes people to forget what's actually happened on the show.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
can't believe not a single person in the pinnacle has had an angle in the past year where they were shown off as a major threat

(like okay sure nobody believed spears was a threat but they definitely tried with the whole chairman thing and him flying off the handle at the slightest idea he's being shat on is a good culmination of people Not Believing Him + definitely has more potential than anything else he's done so far)

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Individually they had good moments but it's not the same as having a good group presence or chemistry

and mjf wanting to be in the IC is a long time ago first act, the second just felt rushed is all :shrug:

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Pylons posted:

They did Sammy vs. Darby once and they want to save the rematch for a full crowd.

They did a rematch during the inaugural TNT title tournament. It was a good one, iirc Sammy got put through a ladder before the bell. They have good chemistry, I'm sure they'll be butting heads off-and-on for as long as they're both wrestling in AEW.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Rarity posted:

No, Shawn and Sammy should be wrestling each other over and over again for six months so that the feud gets the time it deserves

I mean, if two wrestlers don’t face each other 18 times over 6 months, have 4 gimmick matches, and somehow end up winning and losing the titles together during this time then how do we know they’re even feuding?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
are people still trying to treat blood and guts as "the blowoff match?" is that what the issue is?

like i can understand only thinking it's possible to have a big match as the end of a feud (especially coming from the WWE) but that's really clearly not what they're doing here

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, we've had these conversations before and doing the usual "crazy people criticizing AEW" thing is boring. Yeah, obviously there was tons of buildup with MJF and the the Inner Circle. But there was no history at all between Spears and FTR and the Inner Circle. So they had a big in ring promo where they tried to pump in heat specifically on them (and did a solid job). But everything happening is about MJF, not the Pinnacle, and they jumped straight into what what traditionally be considered a blowoff and are now jumping straight into a gimmick return match. Its very atypical pacing and its disingenuous as gently caress to act like saying that is the same as saying I want 6 months of rematches.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, we've had these conversations before and doing the usual "crazy people criticizing AEW" thing is boring. Yeah, obviously there was tons of buildup with MJF and the the Inner Circle. But there was no history at all between Spears and FTR and the Inner Circle. So they had a big in ring promo where they tried to pump in heat specifically on them (and did a solid job). But everything happening is about MJF, not the Pinnacle, and they jumped straight into what what traditionally be considered a blowoff and are now jumping straight into a gimmick return match. Its very atypical pacing and its disingenuous as gently caress to act like saying that is the same as saying I want 6 months of rematches.

WarGames isn't traditionally a blowoff, only the NXT version usually is.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Stoked for elevation tomorrow, i heard Penta chops off Matt Sydal's nipple and it hit Peter avalon in the eye

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

STAC Goat posted:

to be clear, someone else (not you) was saying they wanted 6 months of buildup and were saying it entirely seriously

smarxist posted:

I don't know why they fired off blood and guts so quickly after the pinnacle formed, it would have been way better if they had like 6 months of short rear end kicking feuds to establish themselves, then have IC try to settle business later

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I don't think anyone is confused about timeline or build or anything, at least for me the issue is "FTR/Shawn Spears are boring choices for MJF's rival stable." At least in Jericho's group, everyone save Hager can do cool poo poo or say interesting stuff. MJF got shafted with the team he ended up with, Wardlow exempted.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Pylons posted:

WarGames isn't traditionally a blowoff, only the NXT version usually is.

Its at least traditionally a culmination of a lot of build between parties. And if that party is MJF, then sure, maybe its paced normally. But I think that also makes the Pinnacle side parts of the story and I think that's kind of what some people are reacting to when they seem nonplussed by them. I think they're definitely trying to build them up and doing some good work but I also thing that if this is all the culmination of months of MJF vs Inner Circle story then there's no getting around that the other guys are side characters.

So I look forward to a time where the focus can get more evenly distributed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think it would have been crazy to have some build of the pinnacle as it's own unit after IC and pinnacle ethered each other in brawls instead of going right into blood and guts, my slightly different preference for storytelling pacing probably warrants at least 3 pages of tedious goonery though