Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Hakkesshu posted:

I would LOVE to see The Nine Billion Names of God. I don't know how they would do the ending justice, but I wanna see them try.

It would have to be rewritten as steampunk or something, because nine billion is a laughable small numbers for computers today

They should do a Ted Chiang story in a future season. Or Peter Watts. Or qntm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Milo and POTUS posted:

An eight episode season seems a huge step back to be honest

In all likelihood they ordered 16 more episodes and are just splitting them between two volumes.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

ymgve posted:

It would have to be rewritten as steampunk or something, because nine billion is a laughable small numbers for computers today

That would make the ending fit as a short film, since the payoff is immediate.

Also, have the two computer programmers just be tech bros selling them some burned-out farming rigs to scam cash out for their new cyptocoin operation would be pretty timely and appropriate with the story.

Honestly, I'd love to see something like Testimony Before An Emergency Session Of Naval Cephalopod Command. Have it be one of those hyperrealistic CGI ones with Jeff Goldblum as the cephalopod psychologist.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
If be down with The Stainless Steel Leech or anything Zelazny really. Feels like he's kind of been forgotten since his death, closest he's gotten to any of his works getting turned into movies since then was Argo.

Vvv That would have been a great stand alone movie if the Dark Universe had taken off.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 15:35 on May 22, 2021

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

If we're throwing in Zelazny I wouldn't mind an adaption of A Night in the Lonesome October, as unlikely as that would be.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah these stories are pretty inert this time around. There’s no twists, it’s just “look at the cool sci fi stuff”. Like they’re not really stories, just showcases.

The first season sometimes had this problem and what it showcased went too hard on edginess but there was usually some final stinger to the story to make it feel complete.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Yeah that's the problem. The stories are just straight boring. Tall Grass and All Through The House at least had a story even though they weren't especially creative.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Ccs posted:

Like they’re not really stories, just showcases.

I was looking for a way to put into words what bugs me with this season and that's exactly it.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Kuiperdolin posted:

I was looking for a way to put into words what bugs me with this season and that's exactly it.

Yeah that's a good way to figure out why the season 1 clicked for me more.

Season 2 was just the visual showcase without any real end plot twist or hook to go along with the short stories.

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

Young Freud posted:

Honestly, I'd love to see something like Testimony Before An Emergency Session Of Naval Cephalopod Command. Have it be one of those hyperrealistic CGI ones with Jeff Goldblum as the cephalopod psychologist.

Fun trivia: The guy who wrote that used to post here. I'd love some weird poo poo like this on the show.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

POWELL CURES KIDS posted:

Fun trivia: The guy who wrote that used to post here. I'd love some weird poo poo like this on the show.

He still posts in the Book Barn. He’s got a really good fantasy series out called The Masquerade, the first of which is titled “The Traitor Baru Cormorant”

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

Ccs posted:

He still posts in the Book Barn. He’s got a really good fantasy series out called The Masquerade, the first of which is titled “The Traitor Baru Cormorant”

I actually snagged it for myself just a couple months ago. I saw it in the bookstore and was like: "No poo poo! I know that fucker!" I remember when it was a short story, on Beneath Ceaseless Skies, if I'm remembering correctly. What's his forums name? General Batutta or some poo poo, I think? I'd love something in his general wavelength for LDR. This show needs something weird, smart, fast, and atmospheric, and that dude can deliver on all those fronts pretty well.

One more go-through confirms that "All Through the House" is the season MVP.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I find it funny they’ve adapted 4 John Scalzi stories so far instead of delving a bit deeper into the sci fi short story landscape. But I suppose the series reflects the producers preferences or maybe Scalzi sold them package rights to a bunch of his stories or something.

2 seasons and only 2 stories from women writers though. Cmon guys.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

What are some good sci-fi short stories to read since this thread seems like they're really on top of that? I read Tau Zero a week ago because I had heard a lot about it and it was like... $3 in a bargain bin somewhere. It was interesting and I enjoyed parts of it but I feel like it's the kind of story that was important in setting the groundwork but other stories have now probably done a lot better

I read an Arthur C Clarke collection like... 20 years ago and absolutely loved it but never really got very much into that specific genre of book

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
The Verge did a great intersectional list when the first season was coming out;

https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/26/18640543/science-fiction-short-story-collection-anthology-show-fodder-le-guin-bacigalupi-asimov-jemisin

You could also check out the Escape Pod podcast. They do narrative reads of new voices in the industry and the occasional classic story.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Phone posting so no link but there's a huge collection of every short story by JG Ballard. Some of his stuff isn't particularly Sci fi (the giant short is a good example of how some of his stuff is) but he's a good writer in general. Bleak, though. Although the stories cover like 50 years of writing so maybe I haven't gotten to his happy phase yet.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Season 2, while crazy short, was still better than Season 1. But that says more about Season 1 than Season 2.

"Ice" was by far the best one.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Pop Squad was so stupid. Why do people like it so much?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

Pop Squad was so stupid. Why do people like it so much?

We have considerations other than "the underlying premise doesn't make sense."

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Madurai posted:

We have considerations other than "the underlying premise doesn't make sense."

Their society has basically achieved eternal life/youth, but naturally limited resources, so having children is not only prohibited, but strictly enforced. It's a far-fetched premise, but in-universe, it makes sense.

I mean, China enacted its one-child policy over a span of 36 years.
Is it that far a leap to take that a step further for a sci-fi vignette?

Edgy? Sure.
Grimdark? Sure, why not?

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

It's SF, none of the premises makes any sense.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

It really felt inspired by the one child policy

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It was a Paolo Bacigalupi story which are pretty much all downers.

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

Everything above the clouds is the first world and the rich, everything below the clouds is the third world and the poor. "But we'll run out of resources" rings super hollow when people are sipping champagne at the opera, and the verdant, untapped greenery of the abandoned city makes the idea that the planet has been fully exhausted bullshit. Just the powerful keeping power, maaaaaan.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Does this look familiar to any of you?

https://twitter.com/TechInsider/status/1393938248158830599

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Ah yes, how can we enable laziness even more and promote a sedentary lifestyle that eventually requires this piece of technology.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Also they could do a compromise where you can have a child if you stop your immortality treatments, then there would be no issue with limited resources

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

POWELL CURES KIDS posted:

Everything above the clouds is the first world and the rich, everything below the clouds is the third world and the poor. "But we'll run out of resources" rings super hollow when people are sipping champagne at the opera, and the verdant, untapped greenery of the abandoned city makes the idea that the planet has been fully exhausted bullshit. Just the powerful keeping power, maaaaaan.

Yeah it just feels like it tries too hard.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

ymgve posted:

Also they could do a compromise where you can have a child if you stop your immortality treatments, then there would be no issue with limited resources

Already in place, they mention the treatments also act as birth control so you have to go off them to have a kid. I imagine trying to go back and get one after 9 months gets kind of suspicious so you can't just jump back on them too.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

latinotwink1997 posted:

Ah yes, how can we enable laziness even more and promote a sedentary lifestyle that eventually requires this piece of technology.

Well it's not like there are any other problems out there that need solving

(for rich people)

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Already in place, they mention the treatments also act as birth control so you have to go off them to have a kid. I imagine trying to go back and get one after 9 months gets kind of suspicious so you can't just jump back on them too.

The story also brings up that parents could have themselves "replaced" by their child in whatever societal system they have.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I think this season has some really shockingly bad reviews on IMDB, I'm kinda surprised at how much it's been savaged. It's not as good as the first but I still enjoy it as a showcase of stuff.

Automated Customer Service reminded me a lot of a music video from years back, a song called Starlight by the Superman Lovers. Bit of a boring premise, but it was pretty.
Ice I hated the animation. Again quite a drab story, but it was fine.
Pop Squad was good, even if the conceit might feel dumb to some people. Animation on their mouths was a bit off as ever with the ones that try and be photorealistic but I still enjoyed it.
Snow in the desert was fine. Not a bad story, looked good (apart from mouths). Interesting world building too.
The Tall Grass was one of my favourites even if the story was super pedestrian. I liked the train driver guy being an actor from Blake's 7, cool to see them doing other things! It created a nice mood.
All Through the House was awesome. Really short, but got across a fun concept and it looked good - I enjoyed the kids specifically looking like dolls. And it felt a bit like a weird child's dream.
Life Hutch was a waste. I don't like Ellison much anyway but the action was a little confusingly shown and Michael was barely in it, so few lines.

The Drowned Giant was my least favourite entirely. I like stuff that's about a big mystery and the fact that they treated it so pedestrianly was just boring as gently caress to me, actively annoying. I wanted something about why the giant was what it was. And yea I get that's not what the idea of it was but it still just made me feel unsatisfied.
Great animation again though.

Honestly just like the last season it makes me wish that the west picked up impossible to film things and did them in animation more often.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The song wasn't that great

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Wake up, thread!

Edit: Yeah, my bad. May 20th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj2b0swdpX8

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 02:14 on May 10, 2022

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Do you mean May 20th instead?

All of these look incredible, especially the Jibaro one.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I WANT to be hyped but so many of these shorts end up being mediocre with two or three gems per season.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, a couple of those teasers seemed quite interesting both visually and in terms of concept, but also a fair few that look like just another "some soldiers getting hosed up by a Weird Thing" or "some people loving in front of a Weird Backdrop".

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
I've watched S1 and even the good eps were just kinda mediocre. S2 I peaced out after a few, can't even remember anything standing out. Probably won't bother with this.

I've said it before, but these are pretty much just animation demos. Which is fine, more power to the studios for getting their stuff out, but it's not something I would show to people as a finished work. Writing and storytelling is like vibeojame cutscene-tier.

From the teaser it looks like 6 different iterations of man-shoots-at-thing, one "funny" one, one Avatar-lite, and the only one I'd be remotely interested in is the rotoscoped spaceman one that looks like Solaris-lite.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
This show feels exactly like going to a student thesis film graduation showcase. I enjoy it as long as I keep my expectations at that level.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 12:57 on May 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yeah, I'll watch all of them. Professional level sci fi shorts are something you don't get a lot of these days and even if they're terrible they're only 15 minutes long.

I couldn't tell if they were just mixing in clips from S1 or this half of S2 will have a few sequels.