Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
Maybe by non-historical it just takes place in modern times. America Universalist bay bee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Acute Grill posted:

Maybe by non-historical it just takes place in modern times. America Universalist bay bee

Pax Americana

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

karmicknight posted:

Please don't increase the odds of me actually ending up being forced to streamplaying Dominions.

Yeah, it seems pretty obvious why Paradox doesn't have any access to the GW license, a little company called Creative Assembly is releasing a highly successful game with it.

To be fair, Games Workshop seems quite happy to throw the Warhammer (particularly 40k) license around to anyone willing to make a game, whether that game is actually good or not being completely irrelevant.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
GW probably doesn't want to compete with themselves though. Vermintide probably isn't taking potential sales away from Total War, but Crusader Counts might.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

They already did that in CK2 DLC.

DrSunshine posted:

Imagine a game where you play as not a ruler, or a state, but as a population.

I can't imagine that because pretty much any game setup will put you in a dictatorial position over your people, one way or another.

Although I think the closest thing to a game playing as a group of nomads is Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey where you play as a hunter/gather tribe of pre-human hominids 10 million years ago.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
Most strategy and management games already have you playing as some sort of vague omniscient force rather than an actual person. Stuff like Tropico and Crusader Kings are made much more interesting to me by having an actual character who needs to maintain their hold on power.

The idea of playing as a nomadic people is however pretty interesting.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Did they ever make Tropico harder? It was fun enough playing four, but even on hard it was sort of a cakewalk

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
Not really. You can make the game harder for yourself with self-imposed challenges or going full Cartoonish Evil Dictator, but the city-building genre has never really been known for its difficulty.

Actually going Evil Dictator might be good late-game for 6 after your low-education pops get automated out of a job they can join the rebels or the army and stay busy.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

Gaius Marius posted:

Did they ever make Tropico harder? It was fun enough playing four, but even on hard it was sort of a cakewalk

They added multiplayer, competitive too. I don't think the single-player is any more challenging since 3, as far as I know anyway.

zhuge liang
Feb 14, 2019
Weird to say fantasy can't work for GSGs when Anbennar is probably the most popular EU4 mod at the moment.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

zhuge liang posted:

Weird to say fantasy can't work for GSGs when Anbennar is probably the most popular EU4 mod at the moment.

You shouldn’t look at mods because mods are just the base game with a coat of paint.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

I don't think anyone would describe something like Fall from Heaven as a "coat of paint"

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
If it relies on the base game, it’s a coat of paint. Doesn’t make it bad, but not great to compare to a game built specifically for it

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
OMG VIKKY 3 IS HERE I CAN'T BELIEVE IT IT ONLY TOOK A PANDEMIC TO MAKE IT HAPPEN I'VE BEEN ASKING FOR YEARS IN THIS loving TOPIC

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

I would be interested in a near future GSG themed around resource limitations, population aging, and climate crisis. Maybe have it cover 2025-2100.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Yeah a paradox fantasy GSG would own bones, plenty of room to get creative and weird, or to just do something more traditional map-painting with fantasy flavor. I'll have to give Anbennar a try if they ever un-gently caress EU4 and I figure out what DLC I need

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Obviously a fantasy GSG should be built on That Which Sleeps' model.

Yeah there's a ton of potential there (I can't believe the wiki is still up haha), slowly building up power and influence through agents and keeping a low profile while the existing nations and heroes do their thing, setting up for an apocalyptic endgame

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Noir89 posted:

Art, setting and feel matters a lot to people., if I could play Imperator but with tusks and pointy ears then it would be a ton more fun for me with just that. And yes, not being limited to trying to follow historical borders and geography does allow the developers to setup weird scenarios and challenges that might not be possible in a historical game.

The Pony mod for HoI4 was already mentioned, but I tried it out for a laugh, and it made the game a lot easier to understand and learn.

If I play vanilla, I always feel a bit overwhelmed by my ignorance of the historical events happening. I also have expectations of how things are supposed to happen.

But in a mod like this, it's all bullshit fake pony lore, so who gives a drat? There's no canonical path, so everything that happens is exactly how it's supposed to go.

I'm not specifically recommending that mod, the Fallout one probably does the same thing. But it's really worth trying a total conversion mod, especially for players that couldn't get it to click in vanilla.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
The Fallout one is actually really nice in that regard because there's of obscure lore references for the people who know it and also a ton of original writing for you to go hog wild.

Though it's arguably not that good for learning vanilla because of the low manpower pools and focus around choke points.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Elder kings is a good mod for ck2. I could see a full fledged elder scrolls GSG being fun.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Oh I love Imperator Rome as is, I was just using as an example for how I would love it even more if it was a fantasy based game and how a setting matching your preferences does matter for enjoyment :v:

Obviously what I would want Paradox to release is a fantasy GSG where they can play around with poo poo that they can't do in a historical game, not just slapp a new coat of paint on x game and call it a day.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

If it relies on the base game, it’s a coat of paint.

That's really just straight up not true. Paradox modding doesn't have many examples of it because there's not much in the way of adding new functionality but there are absolutely games that have mods that have new functionality and are 100% not a coat of paint, and still rely on the base game because they're mods.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Noir89 posted:

Oh I love Imperator Rome

...how?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

a mural is just a coat of paint if u think abt it

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean that’s what mods objectively are. Doesn’t speak to the quality of the mod or that it wasn’t hard work.

Like Europa Barbarum for Total war is a great mod, but it’s still just a mod

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

a mural is just a coat of paint if u think abt it

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Look, Dota is just a coat of paint on Warcraft 3 and no amount of million dollar tournaments will change my mind

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
Regardless of the amount of craft that goes into a mod, we definitely shouldn't conaider that something made and distributed for free and then widely played as something the fans are interested in.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Because it's good, hth

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

trapped mouse posted:

Because it's good, hth

...how?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

de gustibus non disputandum est

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Instead of a fantasy game paradox should make the modern game from the CSPAM thread.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Resurrect East vs West but with more straits.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Geopolitical Simulator but good

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean that’s what mods objectively are. Doesn’t speak to the quality of the mod or that it wasn’t hard work.

Like Europa Barbarum for Total war is a great mod, but it’s still just a mod

Divide et Impera for Rome 2, Star Trek New Horizons for Stellaris or MEIOU and Taxes for EU4 absolutely are far more than coats of paint. They’re wholly transformative experiences.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Balance of Power, with pops.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Divide et Impera for Rome 2

You know what, I'm going to download Rome 2 right now and Divide et Impera mod. Then I'll start the game as Armenia and screenshot the tooltip for some basic building that gives you a whole screen of bonuses to various Armenian words, none of them explained. I'll post this screenshot every time I see anyone talking about how mods can actually be good and impressive, just look at Divide et Impera.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ilitarist posted:

You know what, I'm going to download Rome 2 right now and Divide et Impera mod. Then I'll start the game as Armenia and screenshot the tooltip for some basic building that gives you a whole screen of bonuses to various Armenian words, none of them explained. I'll post this screenshot every time I see anyone talking about how mods can actually be good and impressive, just look at Divide et Impera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5SMrxn0rc0

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

All this "tending your garden" stuff about Victoria 3 is exactly why I enjoy Imperator too. It's just very satisfying to influence various factors and then watch your pops slowly convert/assimilate/promote/migrate etc. Slowly turning a province from a settlement full of foreign tribesmen to a city full of happy citizens is really cool. It's the dream of getting more powerful in a way that isn't just making your borders bigger, and so having something meaningful to do that isn't just making your borders bigger...

I also like how many mechanics play off each other: loyalty/competence, research ratio/population size, levy size/culture happiness etc. I feel like I'm doing a lot more balancing and trade-offs than in the other games.

I also like how the character system makes diplomacy a lot more interesting. If your enemy has hired powerful mercenaries then you can try to bribe their leader; if barbarians are invading you can pay them off or offer them land to settle; if your neighbour is too strong you can try to sway their generals and governors over to your side (and they'll bring their army or province with them); if a foreign nation has powerful pretenders you can convince them to start civil wars etc. etc.

Some of it might just be the novelty because I've played it a lot less than the other games, but I really do think it's a pretty good game.

e: The only real complaints I have are like "tribal nations are boring" (although turning from a tribal nation into a monarchy or republic is a fun series of challenges) and "the events are repetitive", all of which are things which would have been fixed by DLC (and might get fixed by mods?).

e2: actually I guess I do have some pretty major complaints about how fiddly it is to move pops manually for colonisation and optimisation.

fuf fucked around with this message at 10:01 on May 24, 2021

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I want a Paradox cold war game. Am I remembering correctly some crazy rear end modder starting a dev studio and working on something like that before PDX pulled the plug?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Mokotow posted:

I want a Paradox cold war game. Am I remembering correctly some crazy rear end modder starting a dev studio and working on something like that before PDX pulled the plug?

Think it was called East vs West or something but I don't remember why they cancelled it in the end.