Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Patrick Spens posted:

I've found pride's fury to be super annoying to play against as priest because it makes boards you can't soul mirror.

By turn 7 you should definitely be planning a big Xyrella turn, or later it can be Samuro+apo+condemn, and the extra health does make it easier to do a Hysteria+condemn punish.

But yea original case in point the card is even good enough vs Priest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I hate when I reroll into bad quests that I can't even avoid completing.

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018

sirtommygunn posted:

I hate when I reroll into bad quests that I can't even avoid completing.

It seems like they made it so you have to work not to complete the 900 XP quests. Cast spells, draw cards, use hero power etc. are all integral to the game so if you want to reroll them you just don't play (if you're trying to maximize reward track progress). It's probably an improvement for most players but I don't appreciate it.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Uhm.... I just qualified for Masters Tour Dalaran :supaburn:

and I did it with my own custom non-meta lineup!

https://www.d0nkey.top/battlefy/tournament/60613dc4b0da157dcaadbb7b/player/HiggsBoson%231805
16-2 in played games to spike the whole thing, I still can't believe it :psyduck:

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
I have exactly two functioning decks right now - token druid and secret paladin. The other day a daily quest to play ten shadow spells. That means playing, at the very least, five secret paladin games, and probably more since I don''t think Sword of the Fallen proccing a secret from your deck counts as playing a spell, and the only shadow spell I have is Oh My Yogg!

I immediately rerolled and got "play 25 minions". Got this in a single BG by just playing a pirate tribe game and recycling to buff up my Goldgrubber

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

AnacondaHL posted:

https://www.d0nkey.top/battlefy/tournament/60613dc4b0da157dcaadbb7b/player/HiggsBoson%231805
16-2 in played games to spike the whole thing, I still can't believe it :psyduck:

gj, wp

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018

AnacondaHL posted:

That's awesome! Congratulations, is there anything I/we can do to help you prepare?

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

AnacondaHL posted:

Nice job! Also, what's with the Inquisitors in the DH OTK deck? I would have thought they mostly just cause problems getting Skull of Gul'dan to proc.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 01:41 on May 23, 2021

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

fanny packrat posted:

That's awesome! Congratulations, is there anything I/we can do to help you prepare?

TY, and to be honest I have no idea. I've never played in any 4-deck conquest tournament ever, and I don't know how much I should invest into prep other than using some vacation days off work. If you're offering to be a playtest partner I may take you up on that :shobon:

edit: Like I'm such a boomer all I can think about right now is how I'm going to report this on my taxes, and how I'm going to survive the APAC timezone for this tournament lol

sirtommygunn posted:

Nice job! Also, what's with the Inquisitors in the DH OTK deck? I would have thought they mostly just cause problems getting Skull of Gul'dan to proc.

This is a deck called Hybrid OTK DH, but I dropped the Wandmakers for Spectral Sights (and the Furys for Chaos Strikes), so it's almost a Hybrid Hybrid OTK DH. The idea is that you use Raging Felscreamer's mana reduction to get Inquisitors down early if needed, so there's almost never any issue with them blocking Skulls. This lets you run 2x Raging Felscreamer for potential double reduction, or one reduction here and one there.

Also an Ilgynoth blocking the left can now be played for tempo if needed, so I really prefer this style of the deck. And having 7 game-winning hits off Skull instead of just 5 is really nice.

AnacondaHL fucked around with this message at 02:47 on May 23, 2021

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

AnacondaHL posted:

If you need to testing partners I've got virtually every standard card and am decent at this children's card game and would be happy to help out. I have not ever done hearthstone Tournament prep before but I've done this type of thing for MTG for like a decade now.

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"

AnacondaHL posted:

That’s awesome, Congrats!

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AnacondaHL posted:

Good job, but idk if paladin and rush warrior are 'off meta' :v:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Acerbatus posted:

Good job, but idk if paladin and rush warrior are 'off meta' :v:

Not the decklists themselves, although my DH list is novel, but the lineup strategy.

Libram is still the deck du jour, shown by the hundreds of lineups that pair it with Rush Warrior. And Nzoth Paladin is typically built greedier and used in control strategies, but I recognized it could be used in my ban-Priest-AND-Paladin strategy, as did the 5 other people who thought the same so far this weekend, with my finish single-handidly pulling the lineup onto the tier list:

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe
grats! i've also got basically all cards you'd need if you want another practice partner.

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:
Played a few games today of classic mode. Geez it's such a different game. Actually need control of the board at some point to win, not all the minions generate cards out of thin air, you can simply run out of cards by turn 5 and using removal is a big decision.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

L0cke17 posted:

If you need to testing partners I've got virtually every standard card and am decent at this children's card game and would be happy to help out. I have not ever done hearthstone Tournament prep before but I've done this type of thing for MTG for like a decade now.

Last King posted:

grats! i've also got basically all cards you'd need if you want another practice partner.

ty both, I'll ask again the week of June 14th once things are clear with the miniset and nerfs and such

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018
Cool. I'm carcass#11432 on NA. I have an okay collection and I'm a dad legend player. I don't have a ton of time between childcare and finishing my dissertation, but anytime I'm on I'll be happy to help however I can.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

DeadButDelicious posted:

I have exactly two functioning decks right now - token druid and secret paladin. The other day a daily quest to play ten shadow spells. That means playing, at the very least, five secret paladin games, and probably more since I don''t think Sword of the Fallen proccing a secret from your deck counts as playing a spell, and the only shadow spell I have is Oh My Yogg!
PSA: You don't need to play these quests in ranked or in a serious manner at all!

Pick whatever class has the most x spells(or minion types etc depending on the daily), chuck all the cheap ones into a deck, and fill the rest with card draw. Oracles, novice, loot, class draw cards, whatever. Then just go into casual and play a bunch of cards before you die/concede. Usually you should be done in one try. Sucks if you happen to only have one shadow spell but I would assume some spells in the basic priest/warlock cards are shadow??

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 16:07 on May 23, 2021

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

I'm still goofing around in trash rank battlegrounds trying to farm the last achievements and I'm noticing something.

Quillboars are still probably way too strong. The second place person was playing (by the last round) a full board of six poison murlocs but welp they weren't playing George and I had a single divine shield so... The third place person was playing Lich King with a Deflect-o-bot build featuring two Annoy-o-module enhanced mechs and two (three because of Arthas) Kangor's Apprentices which was in basically any other lobby an insanely strong build.

Quillboars just outscale everything right now and probably either need a near global stat nerf or some kind of reduction in the amount of ways they can start scaling if you want them to be balanced with the current tribes but I think a near universal early and mid game buff to Dragons, Murlocs, Beasts and Mechs might be a better idea.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Amaggan probably needs to be a 6*. And they could nerf the stats and gem frequency of the 9/6 and make it a 5*

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

One of the underrated things about Ammagan is that he's a beast and, for those few times a proper menagerie build comes together, he gives you a potential sixth tribe for shenanigans.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Tin Tim posted:

PSA: You don't need to play these quests in ranked or in a serious manner at all!

Pick whatever class has the most x spells(or minion types etc depending on the daily), chuck all the cheap ones into a deck, and fill the rest with card draw. Oracles, novice, loot, class draw cards, whatever. Then just go into casual and play a bunch of cards before you die/concede. Usually you should be done in one try. Sucks if you happen to only have one shadow spell but I would assume some spells in the basic priest/warlock cards are shadow??

Yeah, Duels is great for that too, especially if you don't have much of a collection. Your starting deck isn't UNIMPORTANT, but it's not a big deal and you can still coast to a few wins just putting whatever cards you want in there.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

The hat metagame has evolved again!

Monsanto started with his iconic Panama Hat for Game 1 and NHG immediately responded with the Russian fur cap counter.

Upon losing, Monsanto added the power of the Trilby on top of the Panama Hat, and now in need of a sweep added a snow knit hat on top of both

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

I just looked up NHG and he has at least one hand. I’m so loving angry r n

Koskinator
Nov 4, 2009

MOURNFUL: ALAS,
POOR YORICK

a fatguy baldspot posted:

My understanding is he has some kind of motor or nerve disorder, and uses software that lets him play hearthstone using his eyes.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Please. Lurk more.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Koskinator posted:

My understanding is he has some kind of motor or nerve disorder, and uses software that lets him play hearthstone using his eyes.
He fell while dancing and has been in pain ever since.

https://www.invenglobal.com/articles/11606/nohandsgamers-journey-through-darkness-and-shame-to-hearthstone-glory

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Yeah, I'm done until expansion.

We have two Classes, one of them (Paladin) is just flat better than everything else, and the other (Mage) is just basically saying 'While you play Hearthstone, I'm playing a side Pachinko and sometimes it says I win'. They're both poo poo to play against, for different reasons. One is an uphill slog vs just better cards, and the other feels like it doesn't really matter who did what, because occasionally it'll hand out a win for funsies by Discover or Lunacy or whatever.

I know to some extent That's Hearthstone, but it's fuckin' silly right now.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Duels feelgood moment of the month was playing priest against double-battlecry bomb warrior, waiting til he dropped his Scrapmetal Demolitionist to put me at 20(!) bombs, then playing the Deck of Lunacy my Archmage Staff had given me on turn 2. Instant concede :awesome:

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Don't forget priest's grab bag of "will I or won't I generate enough answers to nullify your win condition? Find out in no less than 30 minutes!"

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

gandlethorpe posted:

Don't forget priest's grab bag of "will I or won't I generate enough answers to nullify your win condition? Find out in no less than 30 minutes!"

Not true, I was able to beat my last priest matchup in just 23!

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

gandlethorpe posted:

forgot where i heard it from, probably some caster / streamer said it best... when you play against priest, it's not just one deck but two / three you're going up against. so true.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Shockeh posted:

Yeah, I'm done until expansion.

We have two Classes, one of them (Paladin) is just flat better than everything else, and the other (Mage) is just basically saying 'While you play Hearthstone, I'm playing a side Pachinko and sometimes it says I win'. They're both poo poo to play against, for different reasons. One is an uphill slog vs just better cards, and the other feels like it doesn't really matter who did what, because occasionally it'll hand out a win for funsies by Discover or Lunacy or whatever.

I know to some extent That's Hearthstone, but it's fuckin' silly right now.
Most mages don't run Lunacy anymore, it's all about whether they get the early incanter's flow and pop off with spring water. It's a very high roll deck like Token Druid.

gandlethorpe posted:

I lost because I didn't play around all of that :(

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Gobbeldygook posted:

Most mages don't run Lunacy anymore, it's all about whether they get the early incanter's flow and pop off with spring water. It's a very high roll deck like Token Druid.
Sure, and hence the That's Hearthstone comment - High roll has always existed (well, since early on, anyway) but I don't think it's ever been as common or as viable due to the mad prevalence of removal. When some Classes have the ability to literally destroy an entire average deck's worth of Minions from hand (what the gently caress Priest), they've just pushed the envelope too far, and just after a 'new base set' there's no way they'll walk it back. This is the new normal, this is clearly what makes them money.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
ugh i only play constructed for weeklies/dailies and paladin is so tiring

we need another first day of school nerf. 6 mana fill your hand with 1 cost minions? that and hysteria to 7

Quotey fucked around with this message at 08:28 on May 24, 2021

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shockeh posted:

Sure, and hence the That's Hearthstone comment - High roll has always existed (well, since early on, anyway) but I don't think it's ever been as common or as viable due to the mad prevalence of removal. When some Classes have the ability to literally destroy an entire average deck's worth of Minions from hand (what the gently caress Priest), they've just pushed the envelope too far, and just after a 'new base set' there's no way they'll walk it back. This is the new normal, this is clearly what makes them money.

I definitely liked when "clear the board" was 7-8 mana, 5 at lowest.

Definitely feels like the best strategy is 9/10 times just push through and ignore the other guy entirely. Trying to play intelligently and around board wipes and stuff kept me stuck at diamond 5, just smorc hit face got me to legend.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Acerbatus posted:

I definitely liked when "clear the board" was 7-8 mana, 5 at lowest.

Definitely feels like the best strategy is 9/10 times just push through and ignore the other guy entirely. Trying to play intelligently and around board wipes and stuff kept me stuck at diamond 5, just smorc hit face got me to legend.

I remember reading a good tip from a top player a while back about this. They were highlighting the opposite of 'playing around' what an opponent might have, which is 'make them have the card' ie you might try to play conservatively and avoid putting minions on the board in case they have a hysteria, the flipside is could you drop a board that isn't all in for you but that makes them answer it and they lose if they have the wrong cards in hand - as every turn gives them more of a chance to draw or generate the right cards.

I guess it's closely tied into the concept of knowing who is the aggressor in a given match up or game.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

GTO posted:

I remember reading a good tip from a top player a while back about this. They were highlighting the opposite of 'playing around' what an opponent might have, which is 'make them have the card' ie you might try to play conservatively and avoid putting minions on the board in case they have a hysteria, the flipside is could you drop a board that isn't all in for you but that makes them answer it and they lose if they have the wrong cards in hand - as every turn gives them more of a chance to draw or generate the right cards.

I guess it's closely tied into the concept of knowing who is the aggressor in a given match up or game.

Which could be utilised as describing the exact complaint of the power of Discover effects, especially in a small pool of Spells; Maybe they don’t have the spell, but drop a Scorpid and you have decent odds of tutoring one up from nothing at all (instead of traditional Tutors which at least fish them from your deck) - It’s like a perpetual sideboard.

You can’t even make it so Discover can’t find things in your deck, because that makes it gameable even worse...

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Shockeh posted:

I kind of feel like this poo poo is how we end up with Paladin just having Better Cards then like anyone else. They want Paladin to still be a minion based class, but how does that even work in modern Hearthstone against all the crap Priest, (and to a lesser but still kind of crazy extent, Mage and Warlock) can pull? Well the answer is just give them super strong minions, buffs and ways to protect them (OMY, Galloping etc).

And then they also end up just kind of clobbering everyone else, whoops.

Orange Crush Rush fucked around with this message at 12:17 on May 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I kind of feel like this poo poo is how we end up with Paladin just having Better Cards then like anyone else. They want Paladin to still be a minion based class, but how does that even work in modern Hearthstone against all the crap Priest, (and to a lesser but still kind of crazy extent, Mage and Warlock) can pull? Well the answer is just give them super strong minions, buffs and ways to protect them (OMY, Galloping etc).

And then they also end up just kind of clobbering everyone else, whoops.

Paladin was unplayable for a long time due to not having any card draw. There are loads of options now which has really flipped the class around imo.