Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Thanks. I'll probably take a short break before I start. It's been a lot over the last week.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Gon finally meeting Ging being a scene where a room full of his peers yell at him for being a bad dad is an inspired choice.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Where y'all reading it, anyways? I've been meaning to pick the manga back up once I finish this rewatch, but my main source jumped from the middle of Chimera Ant to way past it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dareon posted:

Where y'all reading it, anyways? I've been meaning to pick the manga back up once I finish this rewatch, but my main source jumped from the middle of Chimera Ant to way past it.

It's on Viz.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

bees x1000 posted:

Nen power and serious character flaws go hand in hand. Election arc is a perfect introduction to Ging.
If I recall even his introduction is perfect because he doesn't get a big splash page of HERE HE IS HERE HE IS ITS GING FREEKS with reaction faces from anybody, he's just there and speaks up during a role-call or something.

edit; It's 319 and all does is announce his candidacy and get insulted by the other Zodiacs and completely overshadowed by Pariston's entrance.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 09:42 on May 21, 2021

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Genius stuff in that arc, it shows Ging is exactly what we already knew. He’s a brilliant hunter and a total weirdo deadbeat.

Is there a convenient, complete collection of 2011 opening/closing tracks available for purchase?

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Isn't the opening just Departure the whole way through?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Nonexistence posted:

Isn't the opening just Departure the whole way through?

There's three or four different versions of it, though.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Reposting some quick final thoughts I posted in the games discord:

The pacing of the show started fairly quick, which I appreciated, only slowing in a few places (looking at you, trap tower). I didn't think it was particularly original or engaging at first, pretty by the numbers but certainly more ok with characters being killed than a lot of other shounen. I think when they went a got Killua was when it started to get interesting, it seemed like they were just going to be a family of crazy assassins and they would have to fight their way through them to get to him, but then his dad was just sort of like 'Oh, this is important to you, alright go ahead' and it wasn't some big trap or something (sort of)

Yorknew City was certainly where the show hit it's stride, being more about two sides carefully planning and moving against each other and is probably where I started to really enjoy the show
It is probably my favorite arc

They did a great job of creating tension, but on both sides, and presenting an overwhelming force without it seeming insurmountable.

The boss of the spiders getting taken and it not being because he let himself get caught or something was incredible, and having the bad guys lose because they weren't willing to lose their friend was great too

The moment that sold me on the show though was during the arena fight arc when the newbie crushing trio tried to do that kidnapping and then Killua just snuck into their rooms and put a knife to their throat. That's my favorite part of the show, these people that have incredible powers are still just people, sure you can shoot magic tops that attack your opponents and spin fast, but if I just shoot you in the head you die because you're a person

I also enjoy that Hisoka is just kind of whatever, he's around, he's a bad dude, he doesn't seem to have some tragic backstory and wasn't even in the Ant arc at all

The Ant Arc feels like the author's attempt to really go all out a challenge himself, apply his 'two sides plotting against each other' but with like many, many more moving parts

He also really subverts a lot of shounen tropes during that part, like having a training arc that fails

I think the pacing was a little rough, I was certainly a little exhausted at points, though some of that may have been fatigue from watching so much back to back. I don't think I like Meruem that much, he never felt vulnerable quite the same way the other villain's did

The election arc was really fun and a good palette cleanser afterwards, though there was a lot of 'just according to keikaku' at the end of it I didn't much care for

On the whole I enjoyed the show and will be picking it up at the manga

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Theres a hisoka backstory one shot manga thats probably not worth reading but it exists if you want one.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Yeah, I think that York New is the only time that the pacing felt right. Chimera Ants could have as much as 10 episodes shorter.

The Hunter Exam and Greed Island could have been a few episodes longer too. There was a bit of content in the manga that was cut.

I wish they had tried to make a "definitive" version of the anime, rather than making a version that assumes people have already seen the old anime and they just want to see some iconic scenes reanimated while rushing to the new stuff.

I have the same overall problem with Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood. It slows to a crawl right around Briggs.

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm

Silver2195 posted:

There's three or four different versions of it, though.

It's all from the same song, each version switches between the first or second verse.

Yu Yu Hakusho also did its whole series with Smile Bomb for an OP, wonder if Togashi likes doing things like that.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Tbh it kinda seems like an older show thing to me, his wife’s show uses the same OP for most of its run too cause why mess with perfection.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

Tbh it kinda seems like an older show thing to me, his wife’s show uses the same OP for most of its run too cause why mess with perfection.

Except for Sailor Stars where they suddenly changed it to a completely different song for some reason (the original did come back for the end of the last episode though)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

CubeTheory posted:

I think the pacing was a little rough, I was certainly a little exhausted at points, though some of that may have been fatigue from watching so much back to back. I don't think I like Meruem that much, he never felt vulnerable quite the same way the other villain's did

He was not supposed to be.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I love the manga but it definitely has its own drawbacks if you were keeping up with it. For instance, when Netero finally confronted the King, and they promised the fight next chapter, it went on a year long hiatus

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Man, that really makes the six month wait I had to finish the series post-Chimera Ant (because the Blu-Rays weren’t there yet and Crunchyroll PS4 sucks assssssssssssss) small potatoes in comparison.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
Even if we get off hiatus we aren’t finishing the current arc anytime soon. I’ve made peace with not seeing the Dark Continent in this lifetime. Anything after Gon meeting Ging is basically a nice extra in my mind right now.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Has there ever been a situation where a mangaka has tapped an assistant or friend to finish a series for them in case of the worse? I know it happens with books sometimes, Brandon Sanderson finishing the Wheel of Time series after Robert Jordan passed and things like that.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Artelier posted:

I love the manga but it definitely has its own drawbacks if you were keeping up with it. For instance, when Netero finally confronted the King, and they promised the fight next chapter, it went on a year long hiatus

That is a problem that exists temporarily in a point in time though. A poorly paced anime run is forever. Other than DBZ Kai, I suppose.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Fun fact we are currently in the longest Hiatus for Hunter yet by a good while. Like it’s currently been 116 issues since it’s last chapter the longest one before that was 80. And it’s been more then 2 years since we have had a chapter.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 01:40 on May 22, 2021

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

MonsterEnvy posted:

He was not supposed to be.

Yeah, the whole point is that Meruem is the most powerful Ant to have ever been born and he probably would have enslaved humanity if left unchecked. The only thing that stopped him was that he encountered a pathetically weak human who he could not defeat with his wits no matter what he did and if he, the most perfect Ant to exist wasn't superior to every human what right did he to be King? Humans basically had a stay of execution because of pride and then eventually the growth of the king's own humanity as a result.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Eej posted:

Yeah, the whole point is that Meruem is the most powerful Ant to have ever been born and he probably would have enslaved humanity if left unchecked. The only thing that stopped him was that he encountered a pathetically weak human who he could not defeat with his wits no matter what he did and if he, the most perfect Ant to exist wasn't superior to every human what right did he to be King? Humans basically had a stay of execution because of pride and then eventually the growth of the king's own humanity as a result.

Also poison

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Eej posted:

Nah, the point of the rose is to show that despite Mereum being the most powerful single individual, he paled in comparison to a simple dirty bomb that used to be very common until the powers at be said enough people had died. The only reason the ant threat lasted as long as it did was because the V5 didn't want to brazenly drop a bomb on a green peace country or !North Korea without plausible deniability. Otherwise the queen dies after all those hunter teams including Kite found out about them and that's the end of that we don't even get to Mereum's conception.

Mereum realizes he was never going to accomplish his dream the moment Netero kills himself. It may seem like a 18 Karat run of bad luck but the truth was, the game was rigged from the start. After his enlightenment he realizes that he could have worked with humanity instead of trying to oppress it but it's too late and he won't be allowed to live, even without the poison in his system.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
I got the Shonen Jump app and a paid account and learned that apparently HxH is not covered by it.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

CubeTheory posted:

I got the Shonen Jump app and a paid account and learned that apparently HxH is not covered by it.

Yeah, I think they were hosting the newer chapters for a while but I guess they decided “eff it” after they published it. Idk what their policy is anyway because Jojo is old as poo poo and it’s up there.

The truly sucky part is that I’d just buy the physical release but it hasn’t been up on Amazon for years.

edit: lol, they just put it up I guess, they were supposed to notify me but whatevs, time to drop a couple hundo on children’s comic books

Last Celebration fucked around with this message at 06:24 on May 22, 2021

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Brought To You By posted:

Nah, the point of the rose is to show that despite Mereum being the most powerful single individual, he paled in comparison to a simple dirty bomb that used to be very common until the powers at be said enough people had died. The only reason the ant threat lasted as long as it did was because the V5 didn't want to brazenly drop a bomb on a green peace country or !North Korea without plausible deniability. Otherwise the queen dies after all those hunter teams including Kite found out about them and that's the end of that we don't even get to Mereum's conception.

Mereum realizes he was never going to accomplish his dream the moment Netero kills himself. It may seem like a 18 Karat run of bad luck but the truth was, the game was rigged from the start. After his enlightenment he realizes that he could have worked with humanity instead of trying to oppress it but it's too late and he won't be allowed to live, even without the poison in his system.

Yeah, the Ants no matter how strong they got individually, they were never truly a threat to all of humanity. Even if the Palace Invasion had failed and Netero someone did not kill the King. The second a powerful government decided to destroy them regardless of the amount of human lives lost, the ants would have been carpet bombed into oblivion with no chance of survival.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 06:54 on May 22, 2021

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Just bought a vol. 1-36 set new, off ebay. It's a lot of money but I had some good reasons to do it.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

Yeah, I think they were hosting the newer chapters for a while but I guess they decided “eff it” after they published it. Idk what their policy is anyway because Jojo is old as poo poo and it’s up there.

Jojo is being published on the app following the English print publication, I believe, which is why it's still on Part 4.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
write light novels to finish this arc, togashi you dying bitch

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Or hell, his wife hasn’t done much since Sailor Moon ended (though she doesn’t really need to since she literally invented a money making machine), let her handle the art for the manga.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

MonsterEnvy posted:

The second a powerful government decided to destroy them regardless of the amount of human lives lost, the ants would have been carpet bombed into oblivion with no chance of survival.

Idk did you see how Cheetu handled those cops? Also Bolster and Welfin somehow grew juiced up conventional weapons, and the ants took out an entire shadow government and then a real government within like weeks. They seemed to be accelerating!

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

All of that is meaningless in the face of just bombing them and the surrounding area with bombs thay are extremely cheap to manufacture and are compact. The ants were always doomed, it was just a case of how much they would spread before the V5 would go scorched earth.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Marx Headroom posted:

Idk did you see how Cheetu handled those cops? Also Bolster and Welfin somehow grew juiced up conventional weapons, and the ants took out an entire shadow government and then a real government within like weeks. They seemed to be accelerating!

There could be outliers but as we say you can just surprise drop a Zzoldyck on Cheetu and the problem was solved. The only chimera ant that really required the bomb was Mereum and his royal guard. And even for the latter, 2/3 of them were being kept running in circles by a slapdash team. Pitou got her face caved in by Gon so she was handled as well. The Hunter's association would and were mopping up the chimera ants that escaped the NGL, in fact it was because of Pariston's meddling that things devolved on that front as well. Morel himself had a guy that was supposed to take down Cheetu and Pariston sent in a temp himself, I trust Morel's judgement that the guy he had in mind could counter Cheetu's speed.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Also remember that Morel, objectively the most powerful member of the team, wasn't even a combat type hunter. He was a treasure hunter.

Like, Togashi straight up says during the Dark Continent intro that of all the insane poo poo to come out of there Meruem was at best a B-class threat. The rest of the ants were C-class.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AlternateNu posted:

Also remember that Morel, objectively the most powerful member of the team, wasn't even a combat type hunter. He was a treasure hunter.

Like, Togashi straight up says during the Dark Continent intro that of all the insane poo poo to come out of there Meruem was at best a B-class threat. The rest of the ants were C-class.

I think Humanoid Ants in general were considered B Class normal ones were Cs.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Not that it matters the big threats according to Netero are things that can’t be fought against. Which is why he was not interested in it.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yep, the truly apocalyptic threats that the Dark Continent has are the ones that aren't truly understood but almost certainly can't just be killed to solve the problem. Or, even for the ones that can, are capable of incomprehensible and potentially destructive things at an absurd scale and speed; it's suggested, for example, that Nanika, Alluka's "other half", is something her great (great?) grandfather brought back from the Dark Continent, intentionally or not. While she was definitely killable, quite easily even, remember what her powers could instantly do without any warning or recourse, and how much worse they could have been without the Killua exception, which itself implies that the powers don't have to be as limited as they are. Now imagine a whole... Species? Civilization? Something of individuals all potentially capable of similar things, perhaps even more, and what trying to exterminate them a la Meruem and his subjects would result in. And Ai, the kind of being Nanika is, is only one of three things with the highest danger ranking given, with the other two apparently being active threats that killed >99% of those that encountered them. Ging even says that humanity is lucky that Ai and Pap haven't wiped them out yet, given that victims of them have been found outside the Dark Continent and the killings are ongoing. Even if you assume all of the killings by Ai are backlash from Nanika's requests and not another one on a killing spree, Pap, the "Human-Keeping Beast", might be the most horrifying and unpleasant thing of the five, too, so it being loose somewhere in the "known" world is a rather horrible thought. Then you have the "botanical weapon" Brion, which is either just as dangerous as those two and Hellbell, or just underneath them but still worse than the ants, and Zobae, the "immortality disease" (which is apparently actually extremely lethal since only the one guy became immortal; the rest who contracted it all died, so if the immortal guy is still infectious that's definitely a civilzation-destroying plague if it gets out).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
As someone who’s only watched the anime aside from the post-anime content, I just picked up the first volume (wasn’t on sale for the longest time) and wow, Togashi has a really engrossing way of drawing. It’s something I’ve known from the Eyepatch video on Yu Yu Hakasho but still.