Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
:reddit: I would say it's the opposite of predatory, it's very fair if someone wants to spend $25k on something to get them to spend $1k first to make sure they're satisfied with what they're getting.

:psypop:

taxxe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I thought you folks were joking about the new ship being an x wing rip off. They're barely hiding it lol. And Im usually pretty generous about 'inspired' content.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

trucutru posted:

Like, have you seen a tier list for some popular vidja game? The first 10 minutes are spent explaining that the list is their opinion and that this doesn't mean that the viewer is dumb/wrong/etc. Then, for every single character/weapon/enemy in a "bad" tier the creator has to remind everybody again that this is their opinion and that it doesn't mean... etc, etc, etc. Saying something is bad on youtube is extremely risky.

I dunno I'm thinking about most of the game youtubers I actually watch- quite shallow, brozime, milkandcookiestotalwar, jimquisition, dunkey, chip cheezum, martincitopants, etc etc- tend to go pretty hard on their chosen games/topics and they are not particularly unpopular with their audiences for it. I think there is a very specific demographic of toxic gamer shitlords who cannot be told they are wrong under any circumstances without flying into a tantrum, and apparently Star Citizen and Linus Tech Tips live in some sort of adjacency to that demo. But god if any gaming youtube I pay attention to did that poo poo I'd never watch them again. It makes the videos utterly devoid of any purpose.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

A bitcoin site just ran off with lots of sad neckbeards’ cash and posted this to their website, but it feels like this could equally be the homepage of Christopher Roberts Space Industries

SeaDart
Oct 25, 2020
https://i.imgur.com/ZIofWIP_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

What is this game lmao

Long story short, after 3 hours of attempting to meet up , me and two friends finally got on the same ship, after which one of us fell off the ship into deep space and died. This was the second time it’d happened to him in two hours

We will try again tomorrow

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

TheAgent posted:

yeah I might've mentioned it sometime in the last half decade I guess

lol 5 years of this poo poo

just loving lol

star citizen is obviously going great

The carrier being to large to load into memory was said by a dev in a star citizen video years ago.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

smellmycheese posted:

A bitcoin site just ran off with lots of sad neckbeards’ cash and posted this to their website, but it feels like this could equally be the homepage of Christopher Roberts Space Industries

Crypto backers are spinning furiously against even this case where the scammers shouting off the rooftops that they scammed.

https://www.coindesk.com/people-behind-crypto-protocol-defi100-may-have-absconded-with-32m-in-investor-funds

"They may just have their site hacked, nothing on their twitter"
"This happens every now and then, nothing really new"
"When this happens it's a tiny operation, no big deal"
"If you lost money it's your own fault for spending more then you can afford"
"Buy an Idris more crypto"

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

CeeJee posted:

Crypto backers are spinning furiously against even this case where the scammers shouting off the rooftops that they scammed.

https://www.coindesk.com/people-behind-crypto-protocol-defi100-may-have-absconded-with-32m-in-investor-funds

"They may just have their site hacked, nothing on their twitter"
"This happens every now and then, nothing really new"
"When this happens it's a tiny operation, no big deal"
"If you lost money it's your own fault for spending more then you can afford"
"Buy an Idris more crypto"

Star Citizen: gently caress you Moonbois!

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

SeaDart posted:

We will try again tomorrow

Serious question: why?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

https://v.redd.it/5w0c7lzizs071/DASH_1080.mp4

First response:

A Citizen posted:

Normal Star Citizen experience, what's your point?

:psyduck:

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

I loving hate youtube reaction face, I would never have clicked if the thumbnail had loaded

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Beet Wagon with the hard hitting questions :argh:

Was that David Braben with the Crobber's face overlayed? :D

Beet Wagon posted:

Well it's nice to know they still think of me I guess

Clearly, you still live rent free in their heads

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

"Star Citizen seems to be so great compared to elite with such features as *list of planned stuff that's not in it* . "

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

SC will need some really big troop carriers because if you send 200 players on a ground mission 190 will be dead from all the bugs and clipping before they reach the destination.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

lobsterminator posted:

SC will need some really big troop carriers because if you send 200 players on a ground mission 190 will be dead from all the bugs and clipping before they reach the destination.

So the dropship scene from Edge of Tomorrow.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

All the animations look wrong
They have no weight, no friction. The models look spindly, deformed.

Deskeletonized
Mar 24, 2021
YouTube reviews are largely garbage. They cater to one of two opinion blocks about any topic: this is literally the worst thing, or this is literally the best thing. The stupid engagement metrics don’t care why you watch, or whether you vote up or down, or whether your comment is pro or con.

That review was no different. He came down firmly on “yeah bugs but SO MUCH POTENTIAL AND AMBITION WOWEE.” For a “long-form” (lol) review it was insipid, shallow, and devoid of context or critical thought.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Riley's video needed more Bootcha. I don't really get the hate for it in this thread though, the majority of its runtime is showing bugs and angry backers saying they got burned.

Thom12255 fucked around with this message at 12:43 on May 23, 2021

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Gained access to a prototype version of the wayback machine that looks wayFORWARD

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Flannelette posted:

"Star Citizen seems to be so great compared to elite with such features as *list of planned stuff that's not in it* . "

I dunno why some people think that SC "being better" than Elite is some kind of huge win, Elite is pretty loving average at best, and downright tedious and anti-fun at worst.

SC to me feels like a really hyper-exaggerated version of ARK, all this huge ambition that in reality is extremely flawed, buggy as hell and with no resolution in sight, big ideas that can't be executed on properly because of developer incompetence or naivety, endless feature bloat and promises that cannot be kept, a constant arms-race to introduce new paid content that invalidates everything before it - the list is endless. At least Wildcard doesn't have the balls to charge for individual dinosaurs... yet.

edit:

Youtube comment posted:

There was this old meme I saw some years back that's a guy looking at a laptop and on it he's in a ship in Star Citizen, the caption is "Wow, it's finally released!", but...
On the next slide it pans out he too is in the same space ship in real life. 😅

(Jokes aside, I genuinely like the game. Now that a lot of the backend is in place it's actually making pretty fast progress compared to prior years!)
Thick and fast people, thick and fast! Development is ramping up! Pyro any day now! The other 99 - wait sorry I mean 9 - systems are just months away! SQ42 will redefine gaming as we know it!

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 13:30 on May 23, 2021

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Star Citizen and Elite are both ba- ... I mean, good.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

nightwisher posted:

I dunno why some people think that SC "being better" than Elite is some kind of huge win, Elite is pretty loving average at best, and downright tedious and anti-fun at worst.

SC to me feels like a really hyper-exaggerated version of ARK, all this huge ambition that in reality is extremely flawed, buggy as hell and with no resolution in sight, big ideas that can't be executed on properly because of developer incompetence or naivety, endless feature bloat and promises that cannot be kept, a constant arms-race to introduce new paid content that invalidates everything before it - the list is endless. At least Wildcard doesn't have the balls to charge for individual dinosaurs... yet.

ARK is a good example because they announced ARK 2 and a spin-off TV series with lots of Hollywood talent, which is a Croberts-tier move.

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

I thought someone was trolling at first, but no it looks like the real deal:

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Citizen Roberts: Maintaining standards set in the 70/80/90s

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

skeletors_condom posted:

I can't think of a single game that is worse than star citizen and I've played hundreds in the past decade. Maybe if they focused on the horror aspects and drastically reduced its scope they could salvage something out of this buggy asset viewer.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
I'm not going to watch a long review of Star Citizen, because gently caress that. But as someone that watches a lot of LTT, in my opinion Riley is d-tier as far as their talking heads and writers go.

He's just full-bore into the "WhOaHHAH, WaCkY crazy guy!" persona and I find it infuriating to watch him. Obviously I'm looking to be entertained but I also want at least an iota of someone knowing what they're talking about.
I assume he's good at the other parts of his job but he's just a bad on-screen person.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Who on staff is the big SC fan anyway? Is it Riley or someone else? i remember in some old videos seeing star citizen posters

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
For supposedly being a bunch of tech nerds you'd think they would actually dig into the supposed tech that CIG has "created" to see that it's a bunch of basic poo poo everyone else figured out a decade ago. Also if you even give server meshing 5 minutes of thought about how CIG is trying to make it work you'll realize how many flaws and problems it would have and that they'll never actually get there.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

skeletors_condom posted:

quote:

This is exactly why I pledged this game and why CIG is the only company I trust anymore.

They have balls. They won't butcher the game to release it quicker. They won't listen to the haters and the impatients. They have a vision and they won't accept anything less.

As the op said, the game in its current unstable and VERY unfinished state, is already better than many, many triple A games. It's crazy when you think about it. It's not (yet) Star Citizen that is incredibly good. It's the other games that are incredibly bad, bland, incomplete.

One last thing I love about this game, people will complain a lot about the crazy ship sales but the truth is, you only have to buy a game package once, and you get to experience everything Star Citizen will have to offer, forever. There's no limit, no season pass, no DLC, nothing. You buy the game, you get the game. Meanwhile those people who complain about ship sales, some of them are playing games like World of Warcraft. You must buy the game, buy nearly all the expansions individually, pay the monthly subscription, and you still get a pay to win shop in the game.

Thank you CIG for having a dream, and thank you backers for having faith. Those who lost faith... Thank you for your money anyway.

quote:

Anthem, lets fix anthem, no gently caress that lets release anthem 2.0 after making people think we were going to fix it up.
Fallout 76, Ahh we want more money lets release the alpha to the market. Absorb flak, spend extra cash injection on quick fixes till the majority of player base stops complaining.
CyberPunk, Lets release our best alpha and absorb the refunds and get the publicity and monitor net traffic to see what the worst bugs are.

All 3 games fall very short of expectations. what were there excuses ?

CIG's excuse Crytech fell to poo poo, turmoil and legal changes.
CIG starts again in 2018 with the knowledge gained through the failure.
2019 developments
2020 core tech coming online
2021 finer tech implemented.

Milestones for server meshing are being addressed and a solid marker of progress since the stable LumberYard version was being developed.

but cry some more about how harsh the world is

Deskeletonized
Mar 24, 2021

Fidelitious posted:

I'm not going to watch a long review of Star Citizen, because gently caress that. But as someone that watches a lot of LTT, in my opinion Riley is d-tier as far as their talking heads and writers go.

He's just full-bore into the "WhOaHHAH, WaCkY crazy guy!" persona and I find it infuriating to watch him. Obviously I'm looking to be entertained but I also want at least an iota of someone knowing what they're talking about.
I assume he's good at the other parts of his job but he's just a bad on-screen person.

As someone who had never watched any of LTT, that dude and his review style certainly didn’t make me want to watch any of it ever again.

Deskeletonized
Mar 24, 2021

skeletors_condom posted:

:suicide:

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Mirificus posted:

This is exactly why I pledged this game and why CIG is the only company I trust anymore.

They have balls.
They won't butcher the game to release it quicker. They won't listen to the haters and the impatients. They have a vision and they won't accept anything less.

As the op said,
the game in its current unstable and VERY unfinished state, is already better than many, many triple A games. It's crazy when you think about it. It's not (yet) Star Citizen that is incredibly good. It's the other games that are incredibly bad, bland, incomplete.

One last thingI love about this game, people will complain a lot about the crazy ship sales but the truth is, you only have to buy a game package once, and you get to experience everything Star Citizen will have to offer, forever. There's no limit, no season pass, no DLC, nothing. You buy the game, you get the game. Meanwhile those people who complain about ship sales, some of them are playing games like World of Warcraft. You must buy the game, buy nearly all the expansions individually, pay the monthly subscription, and you still get a pay to win shop in the game.

[spoiler]Thank you
CIG for having a dream, and thank you backers for having faith. Those who lost faith... Thank you for your money anyway.
ftfy

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Id rather they created tier 0 of everything and deliver a poor game to build up than a game thats pretty to look at with nothing in it posted:

Hearing the scorpius and persus and all the other pretty stuff in the game doesnt impress. I did the Javelin tour and that was no different than walking around the Reclaimer. Seeing the Tier 0 of the actual content of the game being pushed back devastated me as i genuinely thought they where working on the actual part thats the "game"

The Hercules brings nothing, Scorpius brings nothing, New Crusader brings nothing. Its just window dressing.

It was 2018 since mining came in and that was the last job.

Struggling to maintain enthusiam for the game. Can anyone help?

Invictus is mediocre

Apologies for the rant

quote:

You do realize that there are only around 600+ employees, right? To do what you want, they would need THOUSANDS.

Plus, I guess you don't remember when they wanted to deliver their first concept on mining and the community went BERSERK about how they didn't like the "golf swing" for a Tier 0 launch. This meant that we are NOT ready for a real Tier 0 of everything if we can't even get our collective panties unbunched about a Tier 0 "golf swing." IT'S TIER 0! The community is NOT ready for such unpolished releases. We have shown that time and again. We already treat Tier 0 like it's the final product instead of a baby learning to walk first step. (Another reason you wouldn't want to implement them all. You won't give proper attention to any one and produce a mediocre system).

Come back in 4 years.

quote:

I didn't suggest that they won't, but I doubt it will ever reach plural, thousand-S-. They will grow to between 1,200 and 1,500 and then shrink back down to a more reasonable level once Star Citizen is launched. Probably back down to a more reasonable of half their peak, or a bit less.

The OP is speaking of right now.

quote:

It doesn't take a whole lot to maintain. If I thought they weren't going to be a massive success, I would have said that they would shrink to 150-250 developers.

For one, game developers aren't cogs. They have qualities. Most don't have the quality to work for Chris. This is why the employee growth has been so shallow. I haven't seen CIG looking for less than 100 new positions for over 4 years now. They just don't hire anyone. They haven't been holding back on employment due to finances.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Hmmm yes, CIGs problem is their standards are too high and they won't hire just anyone.

Never mind the average developer age there is probably 20.

Popete fucked around with this message at 19:59 on May 23, 2021

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Popete posted:

Hmmm yes, CIGs problem is they're standards are too high and they just won't hire anyone.

Never mind the average developer age there is probably 20.

Chris' old age offsets the one kid they hired straight out of kindergarten and made senior ship designer cause he draws ships so good.

SeaDart
Oct 25, 2020

Sarsapariller posted:

Serious question: why?

Because we were laughing so hard we got lockjaw

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

And yet here I am getting lit up for apparently loving up all my config files to make this happen once in a 37 second video

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe
wonder what the funding numbers will be like for today...

so many new sc whales born...

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

In CIG's eyes there's a whale born every minute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Daztek posted:

Star Citizen and Elite are both ba- ... I mean, good.

Say what you want about Elite, at least it's a properly playable game, or at least it was before the expansion dropped and <ERROR CODE: BLUE COBRA>.