Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Only Eraserhead is cool, according to the main character Tomura Shigaraki.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Fa Jin is just the Chinese term for explosive power and it's also applied in Boxing and Muay Thai (without the mysticism). Essentially it's coordinating the transfer of energy through your muscles to maximize power and minimize wasteful movement. The one inch punch is an example of hard of this but you still get more power from moving your body for momentum ala boxing.

OfA already has insurmountable striking power so a Fa Jin quirk would probably be a soft Fa Jin ability which is more or less a delayed explosion of strength. Think the difference between punching someone and shoving someone with the same strength. Pushing himself off the ground without destroying it, causing a wall to shatter without making it blow debris everywhere, deflect physical attacks with ease etc.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Eej posted:

Fa Jin is just the Chinese term for explosive power and it's also applied in Boxing and Muay Thai (without the mysticism). Essentially it's coordinating the transfer of energy through your muscles to maximize power and minimize wasteful movement. The one inch punch is an example of hard of this but you still get more power from moving your body for momentum ala boxing.

OfA already has insurmountable striking power so a Fa Jin quirk would probably be a soft Fa Jin ability which is more or less a delayed explosion of strength. Think the difference between punching someone and shoving someone with the same strength. Pushing himself off the ground without destroying it, causing a wall to shatter without making it blow debris everywhere, deflect physical attacks with ease etc.

I don't understand why explosive power would mean less damage to the environment. My vague pop culture understanding of Fa Jin means that a one inch punch can shatter your bones and liquify your organs. I feel like that would translate to deep gouges in walls, instead of mild scuff marks like when he played Gran Torino against Nighteye.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

it's about control of your power

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Sounds like a really boring power, before that predecessor got super strength.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

oh jay posted:

I don't understand why explosive power would mean less damage to the environment. My vague pop culture understanding of Fa Jin means that a one inch punch can shatter your bones and liquify your organs. I feel like that would translate to deep gouges in walls, instead of mild scuff marks like when he played Gran Torino against Nighteye.

If you maximize your impact then you get a strike (ie you palm strike a wall so hard it shatters) and your explosive power peaks right on contact. If you maximize your impulse then you get a push (ie you put your palm on a wall and then push so hard it falls apart) and your explosive power peaks after contact. Throwing it into a shounen manga you have the difference between smashing buildings sending debris flying everywhere and hitting buildings and they collapse on themselves because they can't withstand the energy you imparted into the structure.

Bringing it back to boxing, it's the difference between snapping a jab to the face and following through body shots even though the real life application of this means you're not exactly pushing people in the gut.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Yeah its a real thing with martial arts, just not so cinematic

The "Fa Jin" in this case was punching through an entire office building, in a single explosive burst so it was a penetrating movement rather than an impulse. Like knifeblade vs palmslam.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
I wonder if Fa Jin IS the super strength component of OFA? Like if most of All Mights strength is just him using that quirk

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Dog Kisser posted:

I wonder if Fa Jin IS the super strength component of OFA? Like if most of All Mights strength is just him using that quirk

All Might had no clue how to access any of them so it seems unlikely.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

TheKingofSprings posted:

All Might had no clue how to access any of them so it seems unlikely.

On purpose sure, but maybe that's just the one he honed in on subconsciously?

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

This would require multiple people, over multiple generations to lie/be wrong. Naw, pass.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Please forgive All Might.

Nana trained him wrong, as a joke.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

its weird to have 2 super strength quirks

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
There must be more to it than just "super strength, but even moreso", right?

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
It seems to be less super strength and more ability to apply strength without movement. My guess is a regular guy could essentially tap something but have the full force of their punch behind it. You could do a dozen full "punches" in a second just by twiddling your fingers on something.

When you have super strength you can essentially multiply your super strength by just having simultaneous output. This quirk doesn't increase your strength, it massively ups your efficiency and speed of applying whatever strength you have.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I'm sure that exactly what he just did will be explained in detail next chapter, but at first glance if the quirk is actually "control strength real good" it just kind undercuts Deku's entire arc of trying to learn to control his strength real good. And also raises the question of how a "control strength real good" quirk might be enhanced overtime from the stockpiling.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
If Fa Jin does boil down to precise control of strength, that doesn't undercut Deku's growth at all? In order for that to be true, he'd have to be able to perfectly access two parts of OfA from day one without knowing one of them even existed.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Yeah, that's something that really feels more like it should be a Super Move, applying an actual real-world martial arts technique to the super-strength portion of One-for-All. Making it a whole quirk by itself seems a bit lackluster, even considering that the extra quirks aren't necessarily supposed to be that good on their own.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

If Fa Jin is simply "very precise control over the degree of strength you use" then it seems more like Deku's been using Fa Jin all along. I mean, I'm not a particularly strong person but I don't know how I'd precisely calculate how to use even 50% of strength, much less 5% and then increasing it in degrees to 8% or 15% or something like that.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
It’s more like a sudden and explosive amount of force, so maybe the quirk lets him charge up energy before he releases it?

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

CuwiKhons posted:

If Fa Jin is simply "very precise control over the degree of strength you use" then it seems more like Deku's been using Fa Jin all along. I mean, I'm not a particularly strong person but I don't know how I'd precisely calculate how to use even 50% of strength, much less 5% and then increasing it in degrees to 8% or 15% or something like that.

I don't think he's been using it all along, but I do think his own attempts to learn precise control are why he was able to use Fa Jin so well with his first attempt.

To use TTRPG terminology, this is analogous to him getting magical equipment which maxes out an ability he already had skill points in.

Given they've stated it's difficult to use multiple quirks simultaneously, Deku's own trained skill won't be for nothing - he'll still rely on that when he's already using multiple other quirks and doesn't have capacity to throw Fa Jin into the mix.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Fa Jin as a quirk doesn't really make that much sense unless it allows you to do some real wuxia poo poo with it in which case I would like to subscribe to this newsletter

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

christmas boots posted:

It’s more like a sudden and explosive amount of force, so maybe the quirk lets him charge up energy before he releases it?

Someone earlier used the phrase "delayed explosion of strength" and I know it's not what they meant, but I briefly envisioned Deku being able to apply force to an object and then release it after a brief delay - not unlike how the stasis ability works in Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

christmas boots posted:

I think it's probably something like this. The way Deku does a couple of squats just before the vestige says "I know what you are thinking" makes me think it's some kind of ripper cyclotron type thing.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

jassa posted:

Someone earlier used the phrase "delayed explosion of strength" and I know it's not what they meant, but I briefly envisioned Deku being able to apply force to an object and then release it after a brief delay - not unlike how the stasis ability works in Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

Lol what if he could stagger the energy in his punches? Imagine getting tapped with what feels like a 5% hit and then like six seconds later the other 35% kicks in

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

jassa posted:

I'm about 90% sure it has been portrayed like this fantastically multiple times

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

christmas boots posted:

Lol what if he could stagger the energy in his punches? Imagine getting tapped with what feels like a 5% hit and then like six seconds later the other 35% kicks in

I’m imagining some Fist of the North Star type stuff here with all that delayed energy

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

has it ever been established how soga has access to a machine gun in golden age hero japan?

I can only assume that as all might was coming onto the scene you still have a significant black market left over from the Before Times where hard weapons can be bought relatively easily.
We kind of get a sense of this with The Underground Raid arc.

Sure, we have these old yakuza gangs but they’ve been defanged, right? The implication, to me, was always that overhaul’s predecessor was young when poo poo was hot, but as the current hero society took form he prioritized the survival of the organization vs. prominence of the organization. So within that man’s life was the dark times, the golden age, the silver age, and current hero society. Which implies a lot closer of a timeline than I assumed between vigilantes and mainline MHA, now that I think about it. Definitely at most the 10 years that I’ve seen people bandy about (but been unsure of).

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Rohan Kishibe posted:

I think it's probably something like this. The way Deku does a couple of squats just before the vestige says "I know what you are thinking" makes me think it's some kind of ripper cyclotron type thing.

dont steal phinks nen ability

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Carlosologist posted:

I’m imagining some Fist of the North Star type stuff here with all that delayed energy

It would be a bold direction to take the series but I'd be there for it.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I'm sure we'll get an explanation next week but I'm kinda reading it as OFA increases Deku's physical strength and Fa Jin increases his ability to use said strength.

Its like a strength buff and a damage buff and they both stack with each other.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Deku will punch the moon.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

serious gaylord posted:

Deku will punch the moon.

His rabbit costume is just a very long setup to a “rabbits pounding mochi on the moon” joke.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Hence Bakugo's desire to blow up the moon before Deku can punch the moon that shows up in Hori's doodles from time to time

Yet another space race

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I think it's kind of weird Caleb decided to translate Fa Jin as "Fa Jin", no other Quirk in the translation is named in a foreign language (even the quirks used by people outside Japan like the Chinese dragon scale guy or the American pony girl).

Next week's chapter should explain more about that quirk, hopefully.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

it's literally a named concept in martial arts. if someone had a quirk named bajiquan or taekwando would you request they translate it.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

like imagine telling a guy to translate someone's 'aiki' quirk

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Name: Light Yagami
Hero Name: Kira
Quirk: Keikaku!

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Heavenrend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Aurora posted:

Heavenrend

I understand what you're referencing and I hate it.