Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Twerk from Home posted:

Drag strips used to have rules about when you needed a full cage that a lot of modern cars are already quicker than.

https://twitter.com/Fxhedgers/status/1396133801378533376?s=20

Are drag strips just banning these cars? It's insane to me that Tesla seems to be planning to sell cars that run in the 8s bone stock.

Street cars newer than 2008 slower than 9.99 with factory safety gear in place don’t need anything except a roll bar in convertibles or t-tops, but any faster and yes, they should (and do) get kicked if they break out. Looks like 8.50 or faster you need a funny car style cage - one with all the extra structure around the driver.

Course this is for sanctioned events, I guess there’s nothing stopping you doing what you like with a private track rental, except maybe track insurance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Twerk from Home posted:

Drag strips used to have rules about when you needed a full cage that a lot of modern cars are already quicker than.

https://twitter.com/Fxhedgers/status/1396133801378533376?s=20

Are drag strips just banning these cars? It's insane to me that Tesla seems to be planning to sell cars that run in the 8s bone stock.

Elon Musk says a lot of things

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

prom candy posted:

Elon Musk says a lot of things

Yeah like "I am an engineer"

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Sab669 posted:

There is no reason you couldn't vinyl wrap your prosthetic limbs and or wire up some sick gamer LEDs too.

Prosthetics companies make super cool ones these days.

https://twitter.com/SWNSLeeds/status/1394230283747069956?s=19

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1329190417053732865?s=19

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
So you can shoot live snakes at the jerks that call you one hand?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The cold air thruster rocket hover car isn’t actually going to happen.

But the Rimac C2 gets under 9 seconds already with just plain old electric motors.

The prototype cars they have had running around for a while isnt going to happen? Yeah nah, we'll see it. Wether it is that fast or even the cold thruster package is legal on the road *that* I doubt. Whatever transpires, the Tesla Plaid and Plaid+ platforms are almost certainly going to be too fast for drag strips without further safety equipment

The lack of triangulation always bothers the poo poo outta me

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The prototype cars they have had running around for a while isnt going to happen? Yeah nah, we'll see it. Wether it is that fast or even the cold thruster package is legal on the road *that* I doubt. Whatever transpires, the Tesla Plaid and Plaid+ platforms are almost certainly going to be too fast for drag strips without further safety equipment

I didn’t say the roadster wouldn’t exist, I said the cold air thruster rocket hover car wouldn’t.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The lack of triangulation always bothers the poo poo outta me

To be fair that was first cab off the rank from google images and turns out is illustrating a kit to add in the driver bars in red, rather than a full cage design. You’re right, but also we’re talking about street car class specifically here too. Other classes and faster classes have better requirements, I think dash bar is the next notable step, and I didn’t go into gusseting etc either.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Also those magical Tesla times now have an * next to them because to achieve that, they don't count the rollout, and that's where the 1.99 second times come from.
I cant wait for other manufactures to get creative with this and start issuing * next to times with little small text at the bottom that says 'excludes first 3 tire rotations at launch'
Or ' when dropped out the back of a cargo plane'

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I didn’t say the roadster wouldn’t exist, I said the cold air thruster rocket hover car wouldn’t.

We will see it eventually as it's not some sort of magical garbage that isnt possible like FSD and also because it's a very dumb gimmick people with too much money will gladly fork over the cash for.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Is it literally compressed air like the flamethrower was a roofing torch?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

smooth jazz posted:

But it makes a variety of fart sounds when you fire it

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Were there posts in this thread about the new Tesla Roadster yet? I think the other day is the first time we got detailed renders / photos, am I wrong?

Front end looks a little 'new Supra' to me, just a bit, then smoothed out.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

smooth jazz posted:

As far as I know yes. Someone else can do the math to work out the size of a tank and the thruster size to increase a 1800kg car's accleration fro 2 sec to 1.1 sec to 100kph.

Obviously compressed air has the potential but I still dont think a tank that would fit in a Tesla would have the potential to do that.

Edit : Vanishing point wasnt fuelled the way I thought it was so snipped

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 07:24 on May 23, 2021

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

As far as I know yes. Someone else can do the math to work out the size of a tank and the thruster size to increase a 1800kg car's accleration fro 2 sec to 1.1 sec to 100kph.

Obviously compressed air has the potential but I still dont think a tank that would fit in a Tesla would have the potential to do that.

Edit : Vanishing point wasnt fuelled the way I thought it was so snipped

There’s an engineering explained video on it that speculates that it’s probably theoretically possible if you filled the entire “back seat” with a compressed air chamber.

The issue is that a) when it was full you’d be driving around in what is basically a car sized pressure bomb where any puncture to the chamber would be EXTREMELY BAD and b) the amount of force required to significantly affect the acceleration of a 4000lb object would also turn any road debris in the jet steam into missiles.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4PRi4B1APj0

Here's that video. It would need just about 30kg of air, not too crazy.

Another possibility that I think he didn't mention would be to use it to create downforce, since the acceleration will be otherwise limited by the available traction.

E: now that I think about, a scuba tank has just 3kg of air in it, so you'd need like 10 of them

Inner Light posted:

Were there posts in this thread about the new Tesla Roadster yet? I think the other day is the first time we got detailed renders / photos, am I wrong?

Front end looks a little 'new Supra' to me, just a bit, then smoothed out.

Nope, thanks for sharing. But that does look very similar to what was shown originally, there are a couple of photos in that video too

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 08:41 on May 23, 2021

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Teslas are all generic video game npc cars

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

I like my tesla but it definitely looks like its a car from saints row 4.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Still better than the Supra at least

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
My main problem with Teslas is the lack of a grille. I know it doesn't need one, and putting a fake one there bust because we're used to it would feel as dumb as the fake hood air vents on my Stinger, but it just needs... something. Some aero lines or anything, I don't know. Of course we're now just waiting for pricing on the Kia EV6 for my wife's next car and that has the double grille thing, and I don't know why. It certainly helps it look more like a normal car but is that the only reason it's there?

Edit: also I never saw C8 Corvettes until a couple week ago and now I'm seeing them every time I go out and I love it. I had my fun bucking the trend having a Corvette when I was 25, but now I am fully looking forward to my toddler growing up, moving out, and me being the same 60 year old greyhair driving a Corvette with the targa top off right around the speed limit.

davebo fucked around with this message at 15:20 on May 23, 2021

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I've seen a single C8 on the road and was simply disappointed it was just a Corvette when I got closer to identify it. They put the engine in the right place but completely jumped the shark on styling it.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 16:03 on May 23, 2021

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

The Topher reviews the TLX type S.
What do you guys think? I kind of like it other than the gear shifter being buttons.
https://youtu.be/-jphoGYq1tI

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Ranzear posted:

I've seen a single C8 on the road and was simply disappointed it was just a Corvette when I got closer to identify it. They put the engine in the right place but completely jumped the shark on styling it.

It looks like something far more exotic and expensive, I think they succeeded in styling it.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

YOLOsubmarine posted:

It looks like something far more exotic and expensive, I think they succeeded in styling it.

It's definitely something that looks better in the flesh than in photos

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I have seen the C8 in a number of videos but when I saw it in person at first I didn't know what I was looking at, it's pretty striking. I like it a lot.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Rusty posted:

I have seen the C8 in a number of videos but when I saw it in person at first I didn't know what I was looking at, it's pretty striking. I like it a lot.

Same here, It's pretty stunning in person.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I wish tesla would do something more aggressive and interesting stylistically since they don't have to have the car breathing air at the front, but I supposed there's pedestrian and aerodynamics reasons to not get too weird.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

It seems to me like their focus on drag coefficient is what results in their "unlicensed video game car" kind of style.

Personally I think the new Roadster looks fuckin' sweet. I'm interested to see how different the actual product will be though, both in terms of design and performance.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

davebo posted:

My main problem with Teslas is the lack of a grille. I know it doesn't need one, and putting a fake one there bust because we're used to it would feel as dumb as the fake hood air vents on my Stinger, but it just needs... something. Some aero lines or anything, I don't know. Of course we're now just waiting for pricing on the Kia EV6 for my wife's next car and that has the double grille thing, and I don't know why. It certainly helps it look more like a normal car but is that the only reason it's there?

Edit: also I never saw C8 Corvettes until a couple week ago and now I'm seeing them every time I go out and I love it. I had my fun bucking the trend having a Corvette when I was 25, but now I am fully looking forward to my toddler growing up, moving out, and me being the same 60 year old greyhair driving a Corvette with the targa top off right around the speed limit.
I think the issue might not be the lack of a grille, but how poorly they design around it. It's particularly bad on the M3 imo:

This flat part on the front just looks really weird, like it's supposed to have an Aston-like opening there but then they just closed it offso it looks like Keanu in the Matrix

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Kraftwerk posted:

What do you guys think? I kind of like it other than the gear shifter being buttons.

I think it looks amazing, it's basically a better more dependable Giulia styling wise. Could be the best sports sedan for the price right now imo.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

mobby_6kl posted:

I think the issue might not be the lack of a grille, but how poorly they design around it. It's particularly bad on the M3 imo:

This flat part on the front just looks really weird, like it's supposed to have an Aston-like opening there but then they just closed it offso it looks like Keanu in the Matrix

I never liked that design because the crease looks like they're trying to draw attention to the lack of grille. Like they started with a grille, then erased it but left the eraser smudge marks on purpose to make you notice it isn't there anymore. It doesn't even look like a photoshop, it looks like an MSpaint edit in real life.

Sadly Tesla's designers are the double-down kind, if someone tells them their design looks like crap they'll dig in deeper.

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 21:40 on May 23, 2021

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

As Nero Danced posted:

I never liked that design because the crease looks like they're trying to draw attention to the lack of grille. Like they started with a grille, then erased it but left the eraser smudge marks on purpose to make you notice it isn't there anymore. It doesn't even look like a photoshop, it looks like an MSpaint edit in real life.

Sadly Tesla's designers are the double-down kind, if someone tells them their design looks like crap they'll dig in deeper.

I'm not a fan of it either. There's aftermarket bumpers for the car that make it look less like a half finished industrial design student's class project.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I think it looks amazing, it's basically a better more dependable Giulia styling wise. Could be the best sports sedan for the price right now imo.

The engine in it has forged internals. It's is absolutely the best sports sedan for the money right now. They're selling for $60k CAD up here and I can't get into a Giulia Ti for that.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I'm excited that Acura is making appealing cars again after a decade long drought. I wish they'd tone down the goofy center stack. Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

The TLX still seems like a very good car overall though, especially while the Germans are getting more generic and bland.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 23:27 on May 23, 2021

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Guinness posted:

I'm excited that Acura is making appealing cars again after a decade long drought. I wish they'd tone down the goofy center stack. Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

The TLX still seems like a very good car overall though, especially while the Germans are getting more generic and bland.

Now if they'd class up the Civic R and give it AWD I'd be there for it.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Midjack posted:

The ILX is still based on the 2 generations old 2012 Civic for some mysterious reason.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Midjack posted:

100% I'd buy an adultified and classy Acura CTR

The ILX is very much not it, not even close

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Kraftwerk posted:

Seems solid enough if your local Genesis dealer is unpleasant enough to stop you from buying a V6 G70. Though how did Acura make a FWD-based car that's the same size as an E-Class with the same rear legroom and headroom as the RWD-based G70?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Godzilla07 posted:

Seems solid enough if your local Genesis dealer is unpleasant enough to stop you from buying a V6 G70. Though how did Acura make a FWD-based car that's the same size as an E-Class with the same rear legroom and headroom as the RWD-based G70?

It's rear biased AWD not FWD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
If you want to see C8 corvettes go to cape cod on a weekend.

I saw three in an afternoon. They are definitely this years in car among the aging white man demo.