Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I wonder if we'll ever find out if Void really is just a spine with arms under that cloak like that figure showed. I doubt anything contradicting this will come out so I'll just go on believing he has no legs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

hatty posted:

I wonder if we'll ever find out if Void really is just a spine with arms under that cloak like that figure showed. I doubt anything contradicting this will come out so I'll just go on believing he has no legs.

I am fascinated by this too. His arms work the way we saw on the figure so...

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Viridiant posted:

I really don't think any of "the crew" would use Becchi. One of them might face a temptation, but I don't think they'd end up doing it.

My guess was that either Guts or Casca would accidentally activate it at some point. We've seen that this is inevitable, that no matter what the Behelit would find it's way to it's owner right at their moment of most despair.

We have however seen that the outcome of the Behelit's activation is not fixed when the count refused to sacrifice his daughter. So either Guts refuses to sacrifice Casca and proceeds to tell the demons from hell to gently caress off when they attempt to claim his soul, or Casca refuses to sacrifice Guts, the demons from hell try to claim her soul and Guts tells them to gently caress off.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Hel posted:

So yeah I know it's supposed to be a break from the dark stuff but by having it be so extreme as a counter the extremely grim stuff, if comes it to me less like a break and more like a car crash.
If you read it without breaks, I can see that. For many, there were breaks and it lessened the darkness. I don't think Berserk tortures people for the hell of it, its more that the dark is extreme as everything else. Berserk is a story with strong moments and that includes the pain.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Well, I finished the first arc and am about to enter The Golden Age. Didn't expect The Count's story to last so long, or for the main villains of the story to show up so soon. I thought The Count would just be another monster of the week like that snake guy, but clearly not. But man, poor Vargas and poor Theresia. Really feel for the both of them. And I honestly got to say I really don't like Puck at all. A bit of comic relief is fine for a serious story, but it's just so constant that he's becoming a real bother. Can barely go two pages without one of his whacky reactions and comedic moments. Really drags the serious or grim nature of whatever's going on down. At least it's flashback time and I won't be seeing him for a while.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

He is better when he comes back, and yeah get ready for the best stretch

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Hel posted:

So yeah I know it's supposed to be a break from the dark stuff but by having it be so extreme as a counter the extremely grim stuff, if comes it to me less like a break and more like a car crash.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Hel posted:

I know why it's there but with the wacky Puck stuff it doesn't work for me in most of the story, while that jokes and stuff in the flashback do. It honestly just makes all the horrible stuff worse.
It's hard to describe but I think it comes off to me as some stuff not really fitting with the rest of the world. And by doing so it comes of to me less like the characters suffer because the world is poo poo and the actions of other characters, but more because the author tortures them. Which is of course true of every story, but you mostly want to forget that as you are reading it.

Another thought is that Puck being the one to make jokes about it is that he's pretty much the one primary character that doesn't suffer on the level of the rest, so him being the one making jokes comes of differently to me. I'm not saying I wanted Puck to be tortured, but having him be so distant from it has issues for me. Which could have worked fine if it was kept to the standard mischievous fairy level that the rest of the elves end up on.

Him being distant kinda works for me personally, because he's a fairy. He's an otherworldly creature. He has a very different relationship with all of these things than any of the human characters do. Him being the comic relief character helps to sell the kind of creature that he is.

That said, I think Black Swordsman Puck has a slightly different purpose than Puck in the rest of the story. At that point he's the only one traveling with Guts, and so he serves as the story's moral compass. In dark stories people sometimes confuse the main character's views for the author's, and Puck I think was Miura's way of saying "Hey look I know this is hosed up, okay?"

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
The contrast is so strong that Puck goes from being "the lone source of any kind of levity" during the black swordsman days to being "the source of 4th wall joking pop culture jokes" once the rest of the gang shows up

I mean he's got legacy status, so I don't dislike his role later in the story, but he definitely feels a lot less important once Dropey and Schierke show up and once Farnese removes the stick from her rear end

Eleanor Pwnsevelt
Dec 25, 2003

Puck is an OG

I thought the Berserk musou game was alright but I would actually recommend the PS2 game that was only released in Japan if you're able to acquire it. After watching the 90s anime in high school, this was the closest thing to seeing an animated continuation of the story; I guess that's why the 2016 series didn't bother me as much because I was already kinda used to Berserk looking like a PS2 game. It actually has its own exclusive subplot in the middle of the game and someone has made a patch for it so you could play/watch it English.

For anyone who wants to enjoy more Berserk that hasn't seen it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8phqA2gkkRc

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I agree with a lot of posters that the story reached an important turning point, but I take much more optimistic view.

The Moon kid was on his way to the island. I think instead of appearing to Guts he was coming to see Casca. She is mostly whole and heathly now and I believe he would have helped her work through her some of her trauma.

Casca and Guts would decide to leave and the gang go with them.

Not to kill Griffith out revenge, but out of love to rescue their son.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I could get lost in this man's artwork for hours, I still can't believe he's gone :(

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The DC Berserk game has issues but the main draw is that all the music for it was composed by Susumu Hirasawa instead of just the intro like the PS2 game and insanely owns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHpF40h7bMA

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Getting into The Golden Age, and I didn't know Guts had a garbage family life on top of the rape. Gambino "giving" Guts off for cash, real scum of the earth. Wish his death had been slower and more painful. I'm really curious where Guts gets that massive gently caress-off sword he uses in the present time and I do like how he essentially always used blades too big for him even when he was six. Griffith is interesting, and I like how he still has the same kind of helmet when he's a human and a demon. Maybe he's more human than he likes to pretend as a demon, or maybe I'm just looking into things too much. Casca's real obnoxious though. Surprised she can see where she's going with her head shoved so far up Griffith's rear end.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Griffith is literally the charismatic leader who drags everyone off to metaphorical and literal hell with him willingly

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Casca gets better. Part of her arc necessitates starting off in the narrative firmly nestled in Griffith's metaphorical colon.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
Griffith was just a big fan of Brian De Palma

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Stink Billyums posted:

Griffith was just a big fan of Brian De Palma
I always knew there was a reason I hated Griffith.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Griffith's scary because I constantly -want- to like him. He's a charming, beautiful person who'd be amazing to have on your side. Miura did a great job making a guy who people would follow into literal hell.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Seems to be a lot of "tell, don't show" so far with that. He's nice when he wants to be and he's handsome, but I don't see the otherworldly charm the characters do. I guess it'd have to be a case where it'd only work if you talked to him yourself.

Interesting that everyone reacts with such shock about Zodd being a demon. I guess monsters and demons aren't commonplace enough for people to even believe one exists. What the gently caress happened between this point and present day, where Guts can barely walk two feet without meeting a demon or ghoul of some kind? Can't wait to see the explanation for that. Something tells me Griffith is tied in somehow.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Also Guts started to actively seek that poo poo by the end of the Golden Age arc.

The whole Apostle thing tracks better when you remember that it's a metaphor for those who choose to perpetuate cycles of abuse in exchange for the power to secure themselves and their base desires (for at least a little while). It's not a coincidence the first two Apostles we meet are nobles. Most people who encounter one directly don't survive, and those that do "don't like to talk about it."

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Viridiant posted:

Griffith's scary because I constantly -want- to like him. He's a charming, beautiful person who'd be amazing to have on your side. Miura did a great job making a guy who people would follow into literal hell.

Griffith was and is a bitch and now will never be redeemed as such (not that he was ever going to be.)

His character cannot be detached from why the Eclipse occurred. He made his choice in his lowest moment based around the sole sentiment that he was the only person that ever mattered. It's sad and not entirely unsympathetic, but it was his choices, made from a place of pride and jealousy, that caused his downfall to begin with, and the Eclipse was an overt manifestation of those very sins of his, and appropriately enough, the consequences were to everyone except himself.

He's a good villain, and it's easy to see why people not aware of how he got what he's got to happily start following him (and why, even if some people found out, it would be abstracted enough that they could compartmentalize it away with little difficulty), but the reader's perspective is the most important one, and from that perspective, he's impressively awful.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah, the story we have is the story we have and Griffith was entirely compromised, mute, disfigured and crippled at the time of the eclipse in the story we had, but there's nothing really in the story to suggest that if he were "in his prime" so to speak when the offer to sacrifice were occurring, he'd have said no to the offer of immediate, world ruling power.

The chat with Charlotte which ultimately plants the seeds of doubt in Guts mind where he basically says he has no friends, just sheep, is a good example of it. Griffith never gave much of a single poo poo about anyone except for Guts, and only for a moment. He definitely didn't care for Casca or the other hawks, they were just highly effective weapons of war.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 22:42 on May 23, 2021

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Nice that someone is in the thread reading golden age For The First time and people aren't spoiler tagging?

But seriously get through golden age quickly so you can get to one of the two best arcs. :clint:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Nice that someone is in the thread reading golden age For The First time and people aren't spoiler tagging?

But seriously get through golden age quickly so you can get to one of the two best arcs. :clint:

People don't need to spoiler tag berserk discussion in this thread, as long as they have the common sense to not quote the posters reading it for the first time and spew spoilers directly at them. I think most of the people playing catchup know what to expect from the thread an not read the posts discussing future content.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I just started the Devil Dogs chapters.

Boy, the King of Midland is a piece of poo poo, ain't he? :argh:

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Guts had ONE job. Just had to kill one guy and he hosed up and killed a kid too.

But for real though, bet that's going to haunt him for years to come, poor Adonis. Something I never commented on was how much I really love the art of Berserk. Every page is amazing, and there's so much detail in the battles, the armor, the clothing of the royalty. Such a treat for the eyes.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
It's been a very long time since I read the first half of Berserk and it was done through tiny rear end scanlations on a DSL connection. I'm really excited to start a re-read on my Deluxe editions so I can fully appreciate the artwork.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Julias posted:

People don't need to spoiler tag berserk discussion in this thread, as long as they have the common sense to not quote the posters reading it for the first time and spew spoilers directly at them. I think most of the people playing catchup know what to expect from the thread an not read the posts discussing future content.

I can only speak for myself, but thanks to general osmosis I knew just about every plot beat without having read so much as a page.

It did virtually nothing to diminish the enjoyment of reading through.

Hell, it even lent a nice sense of vaguely smug satisfaction in getting to breeze through the whole boat arc in one evening. :v: (I loved it too, even the goofy mermaid antics, but I can see how multi-hiatuses might have wore out its welcome)

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

TheLoneStar posted:

Something I never commented on was how much I really love the art of Berserk. Every page is amazing, and there's so much detail in the battles, the armor, the clothing of the royalty. Such a treat for the eyes.
It is indeed why many of us see this as a great loss. Compare

with what Berserk became

Imagine a museum with the originals and magnifying glasses.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Vandar posted:

I just started the Devil Dogs chapters.

Boy, the King of Midland is a piece of poo poo, ain't he? :argh:

It's such a sudden swerve too, at least from the reader's perspective

TheLoneStar posted:

Guts had ONE job. Just had to kill one guy and he hosed up and killed a kid too.

But for real though, bet that's going to haunt him for years to come, poor Adonis. Something I never commented on was how much I really love the art of Berserk. Every page is amazing, and there's so much detail in the battles, the armor, the clothing of the royalty. Such a treat for the eyes.

Always thought that would have been a good "What If?" where Guts pulls off the assassination without killing Adonis as well, like without that Guts probably doesn't have the epiphany that leads to him leaving, without him leaving this in turn results in Griffith not loving things up(literally) with Princess Charlotte, thus he and the Band of The Hawk stay in the King's good graces, and well from there the divergences probably just keep piling up

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Julias posted:

drrockso20 posted:

Always thought that would have been a good "What If?" where Guts pulls off the assassination without killing Adonis as well, like without that Guts probably doesn't have the epiphany that leads to him leaving, without him leaving this in turn results in Griffith not loving things up(literally) with Princess Charlotte, thus he and the Band of The Hawk stay in the King's good graces, and well from there the divergences probably just keep piling up
Seriously, man? Come the hell on.

TheLoneStar fucked around with this message at 00:33 on May 24, 2021

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

drrockso20 posted:

You see this post?

Julias posted:

Note the bolded part. I was talking about YOU :mad:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
My bad, wasn't paying attention to who I was quoting

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Mistakes happen, it's fine. Just be a bit more mindful in the future drrockso20.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Well, I mean I guess most of that stuff was kind of obvious anyway. Clearly Griffith's plans are gonna fall through.

On a more positive note, I like how there's a lot of realistic armor, but then also poo poo like fish knights and rhino knights. Just saw the Holy Rhino Purple Knights and it's just beautiful.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

As much as Muira didn't care about the actual purpose of armor, dude was pretty thorough in his research of armor and weapons for drawing.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Pretty surprised to see Nosferatu come back in such a manner, especially to help Guts out. But it seems whatever this Eclipse is, it has to do with all the demons and foul beings present in the present time. Feels like the flashback has to draw to a close relatively soon...

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

TheLoneStar posted:

Well, I mean I guess most of that stuff was kind of obvious anyway. Clearly Griffith's plans are gonna fall through.

On a more positive note, I like how there's a lot of realistic armor, but then also poo poo like fish knights and rhino knights. Just saw the Holy Rhino Purple Knights and it's just beautiful.

I wish I could remember where I read it but in an interview Miura talks about how important research and reference was for him but how difficult it was for him pre-internet. And some of the more ridiculous "no way that's real" poo poo he comes up with is often a straight copy of some actual armour (often display pieces meant to show craftmanship rather than be practical war gear but still...)

Big Poofy Sleeve Armour

Rooster Visor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

TheLoneStar posted:

Pretty surprised to see Nosferatu come back in such a manner, especially to help Guts out. But it seems whatever this Eclipse is, it has to do with all the demons and foul beings present in the present time. Feels like the flashback has to draw to a close relatively soon...
Get used to Zodd. Not sure why but Miura loved using him whenever possible.