Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The people still wiping their milk jugs with alcohol pads usually say something like “Well it’s easy to do and if it reduces the risk even slightly it’s worth it.”

Which is fine, I guess, but leads to innocent lobsters and trash can lids getting the blame over quarantine hotel managers who just can’t seem to understand that they shouldn’t be letting guests and security guards breathe on each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Fallom posted:

but leads to innocent lobsters

hold on, what?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

People got fixated on blaming a package of frozen lobster when an Australian or New Zealand dock worker got infected and contract tracing didn't reveal any contacts. This was before people understood that lying to contact tracers is a sport and also that a number of people remain infectious after 2-week quarantines.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

QuarkJets posted:

The CDC page links to a study suggesting that the fomite transmission risk is maybe 1 in 10,000; specifically, that each time a fomite is touched by a healthy person there's a 0.01% likelihood of creating a covid-19 case. That may seem small, but that's the chance for every touch; how many library cards, dollar bills, and book covers might get handled in a single month? There's definitely prudence in minimizing the number of these touch interactions, even if we were just talking about flu season rather than the covid-19 pandemic

Right, but that would be per person if we're just talking about the odds of them getting infected. So a single person would have to handle every book in the library like every day for a week and touch their face after every single time to maybe get infected. And that's assuming they're not vaccinated. We hand out new library cards and/or take cash money at the desk far less than that so :shrug:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

poverty goat posted:

And then there was just never a big announcement that it was time to start licking guardrails again and stop bleaching the bananas so some people have been living under the full spring 2020 lockdown panic rules this whole time e: and they probably think we're the assholes who just aren't doing our due diligence as a result

I came across some good anecdotes about this recently. The last one is the most bizarre.

quote:

[Average people] are still leaving their groceries on the porch for a day and microwaving their mail because that's what they heard last, and nobody frankly has gone to great effort to tell them otherwise because that would be Bad For Business.

quote:

This is a slight tangent, but does anyone have reputable resources that encourage people/businesses against too much surface disinfecting hygiene theatre? I've found lots of papers and articles that talk about aerosol transmission being the main issue, but nothing super reputable that clearly states that it's much less important in terms of disease control to be wiping down surfaces all the time.

I ask because my workplace is currently setting limits on how many people can work from the office based on how often the facilities team can wipe down desks and touch points in common areas, and when I raised this as probably more hygiene theatre than actually useful disease control, I found out that the most senior person in charge of risk & business continuity within my organisation is still leaving his groceries untouched for three days before unpacking them - i.e. a tough crowd to convince that fomites are not the biggest problem here.

quote:

I always struggle with how much to bring this up during staff meetings. You don't want to make people feel less safe but on the re-opening call (I work in a public high school), there's people asking about what the procedure will be for bringing bags into the building because at their church(!!!) they have a rule that only car keys can be brought into the church where they'll all stand next to each other singing without masks on for two hours.

People's mental wellbeing is also important, I get that, but it's like the church needs these crazy rules about leaving bags outside because there's nothing they can do to change the underlying risk of bringing people together in a small, enclosed space for hours.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

For the record, although I spent this whole pandemic staying at home when I wasn't at work or needing to go to the store, always masked when I went out, barely saw my parents and when I did it was with a mask, I stopped the ridiculous "wipe all your groceries down!" poo poo after the first month. I never thought that there was a big risk, or much of any risk, for transmission from surfaces, and even less so the more information I got. I agree that the likely reason people are still doing all that stuff is that they heard way back at the beginning that surface transmission was bad and so they just never corrected that behavior.

I almost feel like it's just an OCD "tick" that people will never shake, like there are going to be people who just will never stop doing weird rituals to keep themselves safe because they formed the habit and now their PTSD prevents them from stopping doing it.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
PTSD? Nah, the mask agoraphobia yes, but being paranoid and wiping groceries does not even come close to real PTSD. There are posters in this thread with very real PTSD and being traumatised by having to wash broccoli ain’t it.

Lot of people, especially rich people working from home making out like taking a few precautions is THE WORST MOST STRESSFUL THING TO HAVE EVER HAPPENED, need to step the gently caress back and imagine how the doctors/nurses and retail workers feel.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I only stopped truly giving a gently caress about potential fomites when I got vaccinated.

I gave up the rituals long before, but I couldn’t stop myself from thinking “you don’t know where that thing has been” and being reflexively distrustful of things I handled.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Azathoth Prime posted:

BBC News posted:

A day later, six miles (10km) from Chausa, dozens of heavily decomposed bodies were found strewn on the river bank in Gahmar village in Uttar Pradesh's Ghazipur district, with feral dogs and crows feasting on them.

This is some apocalypse 28 Days Later poo poo.

The virus doesn't spread much through gastric routes, right? Is having literal piles of bodies decomposing and floating casually down a river likely to cause increased virus reservoirs in the animal populations? Because jfc

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Tagra posted:

This is some apocalypse 28 Days Later poo poo.

The virus doesn't spread much through gastric routes, right? Is having literal piles of bodies decomposing and floating casually down a river likely to cause increased virus reservoirs in the animal populations? Because jfc

We need to get video of this published so we can get public pressure to send vaccines around the world. If there would have been more video of what was happening inside intensive care units inside the United States there would have been less denial about coronavirus. I'll always regret more people didn't sneak their phones in and then blur out faces and show dying people frankly.

Anyway poor India oh my God

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

learnincurve posted:

Lot of people, especially rich people working from home making out like taking a few precautions is THE WORST MOST STRESSFUL THING TO HAVE EVER HAPPENED, need to step the gently caress back and imagine how the doctors/nurses and retail workers feel.
If anything this just demonstrates that we need to make life much harder for the rich

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I was in an office leadership meeting about hypothetical reopening last summer where there was a lengthy debate over what the recommended guidelines should be for using the coffee machine, in re proper sanitization procedures. Engineers kept dreaming up scenarios where it would be possible for a microbe to get transferred from one person's hand to another and the procedure kept getting more and more elaborate.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

poverty goat posted:

If anything this just demonstrates that we need to make life much harder for the rich

Anyone who said “it got so bad I ate bread” should be first against the wall imo

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

King Vidiot posted:

Right, but that would be per person if we're just talking about the odds of them getting infected. So a single person would have to handle every book in the library like every day for a week and touch their face after every single time to maybe get infected. And that's assuming they're not vaccinated. We hand out new library cards and/or take cash money at the desk far less than that so :shrug:

I dunno about your particular library situation, but couldn't you come a long way by just mandating disposable gloves whenever handling ID cards or cash? I imagine that's the safest and cheapest way.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

King Vidiot posted:

For the record, although I spent this whole pandemic staying at home when I wasn't at work or needing to go to the store, always masked when I went out, barely saw my parents and when I did it was with a mask, I stopped the ridiculous "wipe all your groceries down!" poo poo after the first month. I never thought that there was a big risk, or much of any risk, for transmission from surfaces, and even less so the more information I got. I agree that the likely reason people are still doing all that stuff is that they heard way back at the beginning that surface transmission was bad and so they just never corrected that behavior.

I almost feel like it's just an OCD "tick" that people will never shake, like there are going to be people who just will never stop doing weird rituals to keep themselves safe because they formed the habit and now their PTSD prevents them from stopping doing it.

This was 100% me as the Victorian second wave was winding down - I was sanitising my keys, bankcard and phone every time I came back in the house from a jog even up to the point where the entire state recorded no new cases. Fully aware of how ridiculous it was but I'd ingrained it and couldn't help myself. It was only on the day we recorded no active cases, let alone no new cases, I was like, OK mate, this is the last off-ramp, you need to force yourself to stop unless you want to have OCD for the rest of your life. And I still felt weird about it for a few weeks.

There must just be something evolutionary embedded in our monkey brains about contaminated surfaces.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I dunno about your particular library situation, but couldn't you come a long way by just mandating disposable gloves whenever handling ID cards or cash? I imagine that's the safest and cheapest way.

The security guards who log your photo ID at hospitals here just wear disposable gloves and they handle hundreds of cards daily. It should definitely be adequate in similar situations.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

freebooter posted:

This was 100% me as the Victorian second wave was winding down - I was sanitising my keys, bankcard and phone every time I came back in the house from a jog even up to the point where the entire state recorded no new cases. Fully aware of how ridiculous it was but I'd ingrained it and couldn't help myself. It was only on the day we recorded no active cases, let alone no new cases, I was like, OK mate, this is the last off-ramp, you need to force yourself to stop unless you want to have OCD for the rest of your life. And I still felt weird about it for a few weeks.

There must just be something evolutionary embedded in our monkey brains about contaminated surfaces.

This is me right now. I'm reeeeeally struggling to take that off-ramp. I'm going to have to do it in stages I think. I wonder if I'll start having nightmares about it in the near future like the ones where I'm in a crowded store, and I forgot my mask.
The one stupid thing that I keep thinking about (most likely my boomer conscience), is "they said this wasn't airborne for months..."
I need to ask myself:
1. Who is "they"?
2. Is there any evidence of transmission via surfaces actually documented?

I didn't think I'd have this hard a time getting out of this habit.

Legit question: for people that are no longer sanitizing itt, hypothetically, if you went through a fast food drive through, would you sanitize your hands before dipping into the bag and eating some fries?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Um. You can’t absorb the virus through your skin. The gloves are because if you sanitize your hands 9000 times a day it destroys your hands so sanitising the gloves is better. A danger when dealing with The General Public is going to be rubbing your eyes or mouth which people tend to unconsciously do, so if you are in a situation where you need gloves you need eye protection as well, even if it’s only frames with clear lenses or the clear visor.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Kragger99 posted:

Legit question: for people that are no longer sanitizing itt, hypothetically, if you went through a fast food drive through, would you sanitize your hands before dipping into the bag and eating some fries?

Wait, you reach into the bag and eat fries in the car before you get home?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Kragger99 posted:

As a matter of habit, even in the normal times, this isn’t remotely odd or weird because sanitising your hands before eating food if you can’t get to a washroom should really be the norm.

The journey from front door to drive through entails you touching your jacket (potential bird poo poo) and your shoes (potential dog poo poo) then your front door (potential pissy handed neighbour) and then your car (bird poo poo again).

So yeh, don’t eat food without cleaning your hands.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

i only bathe in pure isopropyl alcohol

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I have the lady in the second window dispense fries directly into my mouth is that okay

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
Today's "covid is coming" statement comes from the Australian Medical Association.

quote:

The president of the Australian Medical Association, Dr Omar Khorshid, has warned Covid “is coming” one way or another.

He said too many Australians assumed that because vaccination was under way and there was no community transmission, that would remain the case, with occasional short-lived lockdowns required should a hotel quarantine breach see the virus enter the community.

But he said: “Covid-19 is going to continue to come to Australia. Whether it’s through a breach of our quarantine or because we open the borders, it is coming.

“There is no way for Australia to avoid Covid unless we close ourselves off forever.

“But that’s that’s not going to be acceptable. So Covid will come, because there is just no way to eradicate this virus from the entire globe. There’s such vaccine inequity that we’re going to have virus hotspots, with huge amounts of devastating Covid for a long period of time.

“And we are going to have to manage that risk with open borders through mechanisms such as vaccination, quarantine, and a boosted health system which is going to have to learn to manage people with Covid.”

Khorshid said although many Australians would be vaccinated, new variants combined with possible waning immunity over time meant Australians could not expect there would never be outbreaks.

“From time to time it will happen, because once the virus comes into our community there’s going to be people who haven’t been vaccinated or who haven’t had an immune response to the vaccine,” he said.

“So we need to be able to have a health system able to manage the extra burden of disease that will come with Covid.

“And of course we haven’t had the flu for the last couple of years due to the measures we have had in place for Covid. So we also need to prepare the health system for a surge in those cases too, and to encourage flu vaccination.”

On Tuesday the AMA federal council warned that the health system was not prepared for a serious Covid outbreak. If Australia was to confidently reopen international borders, it needed to ensure a high proportion of Australians were vaccinated and that the public hospitals had sufficient surge capacity available to deal with future community outbreaks.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...vid-crisis-hits

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

A Strange Aeon posted:

Before the pandemic, and if I was hungry, yes I have. Definitely not right now, and not anytime in the near future.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Kragger99 posted:

Before the pandemic, and if I was hungry, yes I have. Definitely not right now, and not anytime in the near future.

Sorry, I was trying to inject some levity into an at times doomy thread. One of life's greatest pleasures is eating hot french fries from a McDonald's bag in the passenger seat before you even pull out of the parking lot. I'd hate to deny anyone that and I certainly don't resist the temptation myself.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

Kragger99 posted:

I think it's probably okay to eat french fries out of the bag at this point, especially if you're vaccinated.

Or at the very least, it's probably not notably more dangerous to do now than it was two years ago.

That being said, I am definitely a proponent of people taking whatever steps they need to take in order to feel safe, even if I don't feel the same way. I'm sad on your behalf about the loss of road fries though.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

My state lifted all restrictions, and, as I've been vaccinated for 3 full months now (healthcare), I decided to go to the store without a mask (I figured lots of people would be).

I should not have picked Trader Joe's.

No one said anything, but I was one of like 3 people in that very busy store not wearing a mask, and the other two looked like chud-types. :cripes:

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

A Strange Aeon posted:

Sorry, I was trying to inject some levity into an at times doomy thread.

Bite your tongue!

It's not doomy to note that, based on vaccine efficacy of 95%, if you eat 20 fries you're going to catch Covid. And with a CFR of 2%, if you eat 1000 fries you're going to die of Covid.

It's just math, man.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Can't wait until Wednesday night when I get to dig into the Big Mac combo that I just placed (wearing gloves) in the garage to rest for 72 full hours.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
And to be clear, I used one pair of gloves to place the order, another pair to hand my credit card to the employee, another pair to accept the order, another pair to drive home, and a another pair to place the order in the garage. Then turned on the belt sander with a fresh pair of gloves and ran my hands on it to prevent fomite transmission.

I loving love the environment!

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Chief McHeath posted:

And to be clear, I used one pair of gloves to place the order, another pair to hand my credit card to the employee, another pair to accept the order, another pair to drive home, and a another pair to place the order in the garage. Then turned on the belt sander with a fresh pair of gloves and ran my hands on it to prevent fomite transmission.

I loving love the environment!

Right but how many times did you change your condom?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Only if they frequently have you changing or sanitizing the gloves. If you wear the same gloves for 4 hours those gloves aren't remotely sanitary. And then if you unconsciously wipe your eye or rub your nose?

You need to keep the virus away from your face holes. Keeping it off your fingers is only useful because people often rub their fingers on their face holes. Don't rub your face holes.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Every time a contaminated surface is touched, and that same article mentions that nonporous surfaces like library cards and book covers are contaminated for no more than minutes. Even pour our ones don’t have a long time where the virus lasts on them- the CDC mentions 3 days and also points out that that’s under lab conditions that are made to maximize time the virus is intact.

1) That's what a fomite is: a contaminated surface

2) Those time spans that were studied are relevant to the types of interactions that we're talking about : someone handing you cash, a library card, a book, etc.

King Vidiot posted:

Your coworkers are probably trying to prevent anyone on the staff from getting infected, so you need to account for the interactions made by the entire staff, not just one person. Basically, how many surface interactions with strangers are performed per month for everyone on the staff, and what's the probability that any individual coming in is infected? That's how you determine your risk per month.

Those odds already have "and touch your face" baked into the probability, someone touching their face after every interaction with a fomite would have much greater odds of becoming infected

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 01:23 on May 24, 2021

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

spouse posted:

My state lifted all restrictions, and, as I've been vaccinated for 3 full months now (healthcare), I decided to go to the store without a mask (I figured lots of people would be).

I should not have picked Trader Joe's.

No one said anything, but I was one of like 3 people in that very busy store not wearing a mask, and the other two looked like chud-types. :cripes:

Hahaha, this is exactly my situation too. I want to go places without a mask but I feel like people will think I’m some unvaccinated anti masker. At least at work they have verification so I won’t feel weird going massless there. It’s gonna be awesome not having to constantly raise my voice over the mask and machinery.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

A Strange Aeon posted:

Oh c'mon my good friend

Who has NOT??

(Before covid, I mean)

Edit: when will I learn to read all of a thread before ever posting?
When??

I'll leave my post and hopefully learn from my shame

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

Your coworkers are probably trying to prevent anyone on the staff from getting infected, so you need to account for the interactions made by the entire staff, not just one person. Basically, how many surface interactions with strangers are performed per month for everyone on the staff, and what's the probability that any individual coming in is infected? That's how you determine your risk per month.

Those odds already have "and touch your face" baked into the probability, someone touching their face after every interaction with a fomite would have much greater odds of becoming infected

We've all been vaccinated, so we're even less likely than "incredibly unlikely" to get infected from contaminated surfaces. :shrug:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I really hope the pet cremation lady doesn't get covid because I'm gonna need her not once but twice in the next while. :cripes:

I don't think I ever really did the fomite stuff, honestly. I wash my hands when I come home before I touch my ugly mug, but I didn't ever really get into wiping stuff down like my cereal box beyond... I don't know, a little bit into the pandemic.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I really hope the pet cremation lady doesn't get covid because I'm gonna need her not once but twice in the next while. :cripes:

I'm really, really sorry FB.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1396627513548365835?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I don't think I ever really did the fomite stuff, honestly. I wash my hands when I come home before I touch my ugly mug, but I didn't ever really get into wiping stuff down like my cereal box beyond... I don't know, a little bit into the pandemic.

I'm so sorry to hear that. The guy who handles it in my area was a great comfort in a hard time with my kitty, earlier this year.