Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Sentinel Red posted:

I did go through the whole 'connect your PS4 and PS5 with a LAN cable' rigmarole to transfer them. Remember to sync up your Trophy info on PS4 before you start as well. From there, I moved the ME install from the external drive onto the PS5 HD and the saves were all available. They had a slightly different and odd prefix to each save at first but on subsequent sessions, they were the normal/usual save names again.

Thanks, I appreciate the info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hazzlebarth
May 13, 2013

DourCricket posted:

It's weird because In 3 you CAN hide the helmets on the full suits right?

Yes, there's an option to hide it during conversations but keep it on during normal gameplay.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Fuzz posted:

100% this.

It was frankly loving weird to me to see a Bioware romance that actually flowed normally and was plausible. Starts with casual talk, then some pretty crossed signals and awkward, "ha-ha yeah, so uh, I just said that... Don't read too much into it... Unless you're also into it? No pressure." And even if you turn him down in the shittiest ways possible he's like, a normal loving adult about it instead of throwing a fit. He also straight up stops you if you come at him strong and is like, "whoa, wow, okay... I need some time to process this, if that's alright with you." Because there's the whole lens of the chain of command side of things.

All in all really surprised by it, speaking as a hetero cis male. Refreshing to just see normal loving people figure out their relationship while on a really high stress job.

It helps that Kaidan as a character also acts like an adult. His "arc" in ME1 basically just consists of him talking about some stuff from his past, but he doesn't actually need anything from Shepard and (as he says himself) he had already come to terms with things years ago.

Sydin posted:

"You're working too hard."

My favorite so far is when I met some mercenary dude during Thane's recruitment mission and he refused to talk and is like "my buddies are going to shoot you" and I just kicked him through the window. It was a heart-warming bonding moment with Jack.

I get the impression that those paragon/renegade actions generally occur in situations where you can only do one (as opposed to there being two possible actions depending upon your paragon/renegade points)? It's nice that the game doesn't really punish you for getting both paragon and renegade points. I still end up with more paragon than renegade, but maybe 1/3 of my total points are still renegade.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

bobjr posted:

I did forget how contrived the crew getting kidnapped in 2 was, where Shepard and co just leave on a shuttle.

Joker even calls out Shepard and asks where he was after.

I liked the implication we've been doing that the entire time so whenever three of them have fun space adventures the rest are sitting in the car

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Ytlaya posted:

It helps that Kaidan as a character also acts like an adult. His "arc" in ME1 basically just consists of him talking about some stuff from his past, but he doesn't actually need anything from Shepard and (as he says himself) he had already come to terms with things years ago.

My favorite so far is when I met some mercenary dude during Thane's recruitment mission and he refused to talk and is like "my buddies are going to shoot you" and I just kicked him through the window. It was a heart-warming bonding moment with Jack.

I get the impression that those paragon/renegade actions generally occur in situations where you can only do one (as opposed to there being two possible actions depending upon your paragon/renegade points)? It's nice that the game doesn't really punish you for getting both paragon and renegade points. I still end up with more paragon than renegade, but maybe 1/3 of my total points are still renegade.

There are a couple situations where it will first pop up with one of paragon or renegade prompt, and then the other afterwards, IIRC

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
What I’m getting from all this is I was correct to ignore Kaiden as he’s really boring

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

FWIW the reason the quarians never settled other planets is that the council is still making an example of them for illegal AI centuries later and refuses to grant them any colony rights.

There's a planet description somwhere for a world some quarians tried to colonise and they were evicted at gunpoint with the turians threatening to bomb them from orbit.

:turianass:

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Reading about some of those PC mods makes me wish I PC gamed. Are any of the new mission/ acting decent good or do they stick out like a sore thumb?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Strategic Tea posted:

FWIW the reason the quarians never settled other planets is that the council is still making an example of them for illegal AI centuries later and refuses to grant them any colony rights.

There's a planet description somwhere for a world some quarians tried to colonise and they were evicted at gunpoint with the turians threatening to bomb them from orbit.

That's probably part of it, but the main reason is they're basically biologically incapable of settling on any other planet because it would need to first off be a 1-in-a-trillion world with the right atmospheric conditions and no insect life like Rannoch, and even then it would take them so long to adapt because the flotilla ruined their already weak immune systems that they would basically go extinct before they were able to produce enough generations of children who could be considered fully adapted to their new world.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

nine-gear crow posted:

That's probably part of it, but the main reason is they're basically biologically incapable of settling on any other planet because it would need to first off be a 1-in-a-trillion world with the right atmospheric conditions and no insect life like Rannoch, and even then it would take them so long to adapt because the flotilla ruined their already weak immune systems that they would basically go extinct before they were able to produce enough generations of children who could be considered fully adapted to their new world.

They would be perfectly capable of living in suits, just as they were doing on ships/places on other planets, except not on lovely old constantly breaking ships or as visitors where everyone hates them

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Edit: doublepost

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Spacebump posted:

Reading about some of those PC mods makes me wish I PC gamed. Are any of the new mission/ acting decent good or do they stick out like a sore thumb?

Expanded Galaxy Mod is pretty good. A lot of its additions are fairly unobtrusive and the stuff it adds wholecloth is usually done via text adventure style screens.

The Orikon Collection (Priority: Earth Overhaul, Ambient Audio Overhaul, Immersive Thessia Mod, and Prologue Overhaul) primarily use assets and audio that was already there in ME3's data but dummied out to restore content, with a couple of community voice actors stepping in to fill in the gaps, and even actual Mass Effect VAs reprising their characters like George Szilagyi coming back to record dialog for Kirrahe that was scripted in the code, but never had any audio work done for it.

Ark Mod is a blend of line splices from pre-existing trilogy dialog, importing stuff from Andromeda, and new voice acting. Haven't had much experience with it, actually.

And Project Variety it like the Orikon mods, mainly asset repurposing without really adding anything new to the game in terms of mission or story content. Project Variety is a mixed bag because it does a lot of good things, but the mod author has fallen into feature creep and ruined a lot of the decent stuff the earlier versions added by just going too far and stubbornly refusing to let anyone create patches for it to make it play nice with other mods like Priority: Earth Overhaul, ect.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I love how the advanced training process that allows Shepard to use another weapon type in ME2 is that she sees a pile of guns and goes "hey, maybe I should try using shotguns now".

I mean it's great to get the extra flexibility, but it's such a weird and awkwardly inserted bit right in the middle of that mission.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Yeah, you'd think they could do that, anywhere else than as deep in enemy territory as is feasibly possible for that point in the series.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Ark Mod is actually really cool. The best part about it is that it was made when Andromeda looked cool as poo poo, then given up on after it came out. But it lets you have Pathfinder armour and the X5 Ghost.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
They did not fix the bug where the Sole Survivor sidequest guy thinks you're the Sole Survivor (and Shepard gets the lines) even if you're not.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

nine-gear crow posted:

No, the main reason is they're revanchist cunts. They could absolutely settle worlds, live in suits like they do on the ships and gradually adapt to their new homes even if it takes centuries for their immune systems to grow a backbone. They don't want to do that because it wouldn't be the sacred clay.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Spacebump posted:

Oh, this must have been changed recently? I had read on reddit and this site https://www.gamespot.com/articles/mass-effect-legendary-edition-cross-saves-will-transfer-on-xbox-not-playstation/1100-6491400/ that PS4 saves wouldn't transfer to PS5.

I don't have a PS5 yet, I was just worried my save would be lost when I finally find one.

The page did say that, but it was wrong. Possibly confused about a different issue the PS5 has.

The PS5 has no way to continue PS4 version saves into the PS5 version of a game (like Yakzua LAD) while the Xbox does, but for just playing a BC PS4 game on one you can just pop your save on over.

You can just use the cloud saves if you have PS Plus to transfer, no need for LAN cable stuff.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

bobjr posted:

I do like how the rear end in a top hat admiral in 2 is one because he sees what happened to the Geth as inhumane and he’s a big asset in 3, while the nice one who Tali knows basically starts an all out attack that possibly gets them all killed.

Blastedhellscape posted:

Mass Effect 2 is kind of frustrating, since it's possibly the best game Bioware ever produced, but it does a terrible job of being the middle entry in a trilogy.

yeah. 2 feels like a sidequel. it fills out stuff about the universe and does some genuinely good stuff with factions and characters but its mostly just setting some stuff up for 3 and reapers. the collectors are cool visually and lore wise but they are barely in it.

Codependent Poster posted:

Tali didn't commit war crimes, though. Her father did but she was innocent. She's willing to take the blame for him, which again just shows how badly he raised her.

yeah, tali is fine. she is basically raised in weird sad migrating society where the leaders are either well meaning assholes who have good motives or weird bitter fucks and its the younger generations that get raised with it and die for it and most of the older generation assholes were shaped by their parents and so on and so on. i always go with them making peace with the geth and the quarrians because thats the most hopeful ending.

Strategic Tea posted:

yeah. pretty much the quarians are basicaly hosed because of their big gently caress up.

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, that was a really nice twist. It's pretty interesting how the entire thing is framed as "The innocent girl is being unfairly hounded by assholes" except the innocent girl and her father are complicit in war crimes and the hardass 'bad guy' is in fact 100% correct and has a justifiable reason to be disgusted by what happened and the only solution that really keeps your party member happy is lying about the war crimes.

But since Tali is UwU most people seem to remember it as the way it is framed, not the way it actually is.
tali IRL
https://twitter.com/theserfstv/status/1395107433639387139

another twist i liked was that the turian councilor is the only one to sorta come around to try to help. and honestly talking to Udina alot in 3 makes his heel turn work a little better, because its clear he literraly lost everyone he ever knew and he is loving desperate for anyone to fight for earth.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

nine-gear crow posted:

Hell, they're not any more biologically capable of settling their old homeworld. Tali says at one point that even retaking the Quarian homeworld now would mean generations of people living in suits and slowly adapting to survive in their old biosphere again. I figure at that point, they could just go through that poo poo anywhere.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Is there a guide somewhere for a "perfect" suicide run?
I last played me2 on release or some poo poo but I vaguely remember that there's a timer ticking in the background somewhere?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The only background timer is the one after the crew gets taken.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

tithin posted:

Is there a guide somewhere for a "perfect" suicide run?
I last played me2 on release or some poo poo but I vaguely remember that there's a timer ticking in the background somewhere?

Right here: https://imgur.com/nJPAc

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Finally finishing up ME1 yet and I never even posted my Shepard, enjoy my terrible phone pics:

I went almost pure paragon, except when appropriate (executing the Cerberus guy from Akuze, calling that hanar a big stupid jellyfish, etc). Nearly completionist, but I didn't bother with the 'go kill a few more thorian zombies/rachni/etc' missions.

I forgot how much ME1 really sticks the landing; the second the menu music starts to the end is such an effective climax. Weird bug though: I was trying to setup that confrontation where Ashley and Liara confront you about hitting on both of them so I could have Shepard make an rear end of himself, but it just...never happened. Instead it just defaulted to Liara :shrug:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

That is a great Shepard.

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani
Ok I swear I’m not being weird or doing a bit but the Quarians are clearly supposed to be Space Israel right?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Israel wasn’t a mobile group, they were pretty established in various cities pre recon quest of Israel.

They have more in common with he Romani if anything

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Legend, cheers.

Kibayasu posted:

The only background timer is the one after the crew gets taken.

That's good to know, I thought the timer was basically always running.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They’re 100% Romani, with everyone else considering them thieves and scavengers and all that racist bullshit.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Forgot how bad the ME1 credits music was

Also the little miniature 'Shepard died' fake out before he comes jogging out of the wreckage holding his stomach and grinning like a jackass :laffo:

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

Wolfsheim posted:

drat how does it feel to be so fuckin' wrong about something

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Wolfsheim posted:

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I will never ever choose the alternative against punching Udina during the mutiny.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Wolfsheim posted:

mods???

I also completely forgot about Anderson punching Udina until it happened and it made my day all over again

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SettingSun posted:

I will never ever choose the alternative against punching Udina during the mutiny.

Especially since it winds up with Anderson getting shot instead.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
Just started ME3 - it says I have 245% power speed?? I thought it caps at 200

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

that's a new one

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

It's baaaaaack.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

While I normally don't recommend doing ME1 sidequests, the really generic Geth base one is worth doing. It takes you to four different planets that all have amazing skyboxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Man, the writing in ME3 is not subtle at all. It reads like it presumes the player never played 1 or 2 cuz it just ladels on the exposition in the most obvious way.